• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia Is Renaming Jefferson Davis Highway And Asking The Internet For Suggestions

cirrhosis

This is my hometown. I don't know what the city council was thinking on outsourcing this to the fucking interweb. Really hoping they source something locally. I'm all for the name change but, please, not this way!

rudger

This is my hometown. I don't know what the city council was thinking on outsourcing this to the fucking interweb. Really hoping they source something locally. I'm all for the name change but, please, not this way!

It's probably just for show. Then after everybody votes, somebody's wife on the council will say, "How about the Wizards highway?" And they'll go with that....yes, I'm still bitter about that.

ExVicis

Same here, fuck. I live here and I'm on that Highway all the time and fuck everyone if I have to Drive on Highway Mc-Fucking-Highwayface or The Way to Bootytown because some memeing fuckers thought they were being clever and funny.

The joke was funny for a minute but it's time to stop.

Keep in mind it's just the portion of the road that's in Alexandria.

Arlington County, where I live and where most of the "highway" is situated, is talking about doing this too.

Most people don't call it that anyway but I'm all for it. I'm totally for a Barack Obama Hwy.

Dmented

Banned
Just put in Barack Obama Highway. That would be really cool if they replaced it with that. Bet you signs get vandalized though. Some probably with good intentions (who wouldn't want a sign that said that, lol) but most from racist pricks.

Edit: Watch as the bots go crazy and the top vote is "Donald Trump Highway".

Fuchsdh

I tend to agree with the arguments that you shouldn't start naming things after people at least until they're dead, and preferably a few years after that. There's plenty of long-dead and worth remembering people to choose from.

Arlington County, where I live and where most of the "highway" is situated, is talking about doing this too.

Most people don't call it that anyway but I'm all for it. I'm totally for a Barack Obama Hwy.
Ive never heard anyone in Arlington or Alexandria call it anything but Route 1, honestly. It's mostly just a symbolic gesture, since most of the road is state-owned and thus the onus is on them to completely change the name.

Ogodei

Alexandria already renamed theirs. Patrick Street for the lane going in one direction and Henry Street for the lane going in the other direction. Once you hit lower Arlington and the Airport/Crystal City area it's back to being Jefferson Davis, and once you get down to Mt. Vernon or so it's Jefferson Davis.

emag

Alexandria already renamed theirs. Patrick Street for the lane going in one direction and Henry Street for the lane going in the other direction. Once you hit lower Arlington and the Airport/Crystal City area it's back to being Jefferson Davis, and once you get down to Mt. Vernon or so it's Jefferson Davis.

Patrick/Henry (which also need to be renamed) merge well inside Alexandria.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Oh god more traffic highway.

(or just call it highway 1 like everyone already calls it)

Top Bottom