• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I liked Diamondback up until he started the weird campaign of framing Luke.

"I'M LUKE CAGE"

But the barely mentioned boogeyman aspect of him, up until he shows up and cripples the other crime gangs, was alright.

The suit was "something" alright.

But yes, CottonMouth was "it" for that show. Just Fantastic.

Lonestar

Shades was very very strange. I couldn't fully grasp his role. Kind of like a temp consigliere, bouncing from boss to boss.

If Turk isn't in at least 4 episodes then this series is failure already.

Absolutely factual statement.

LotusHD

Banned
Shades was very very strange. I couldn't fully grasp his role. Kind of like a temp consigliere, bouncing from boss to boss.

It's very simple, his ass just wanted a peaceful criminal life, and everyone around him, especially Diamondback who was crazy, just didn't want to give it to him.

Lonestar

yeah, guess it was too much to ask for a simple criminal life.

I've generally liked the side characters of the 4 shows, but I think the one I found the absolute worst, was Joy Meachum (think that was her name, the sister).

Was she the long lost love interest, damsel, or villain. Everytime she showed up, was like she had a different plan/plotline. I mean, maybe learning about "Dad" like that does something to a person, but her character just didn't make sense to me.

Khaz

Cottonmouth died to give us Black Mariah. I just hope they put her in full control of her political villainy next season, no more lame Shades mentoring / flirting.

It's very simple, his ass just wanted a peaceful criminal life, and everyone around him, especially Diamondback who was crazy, just didn't want to give it to him.

Every time I rewatch Luke Cage I forget about that kiss at the end? That was fucking weird and I don't feel like Mariah would do that.

PsychBat!

Banned
LOL. Diamondback was the shit one liner character who shouldn't have been in season 1 of Luke Cage. Cotton mouth was just hitting grand slam potential of character interest with his past revealed and bam suddenly you get this comic book guy who just burns everything to the ground, has a "im yo brotha WANANA" crap angle to his character, no real explanation to how he got his armament/money/influence/and mass weapon production hookups, and he just gets away with bullshit and folks follow him for no damned reason.

Diamondback is garbage. Cotton Mouth all the way. Whole season should have been about Cotton mouth and Luke being too men taking their grudge too far and draggin not only each other but everyone in Harlem down into hell with them trying to put the other in their place.

sure but he's still better than Harold Meachum.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the intro sequence. Looking back at the intro sequences for all their previous shows, it's amazing how perfectly the encapsulate the themes and tone of the shows themselves.

Daredevil - the blood reveals otherwise invisible images of the city, of justice, of faith, and finally, the Devil himself

Jessica Jones - through a haze of drunkenness and sleaze, a voyeuristic look a the secrets people hide away. But looking even deeper, foggy memories and figures peek in and out of the shadows, all to reveal this as being the perspective of Jessica herself.

Luke Cage - the heat and history of Harlem reflecting onto the body of Cage himself, until finally at the end, he shatters barriers with just his fist

Iron Fist - a meaningless, featureless figure performs weightless martial arts over a city landscape, with smears tracing behind his every movie with little to no reason or affect. Towards the end, the music picks up, and all that energy focuses and channels through the figure until finally, they unleash... just another boring kick. Not even the Iron Fist for a gigantic finish, it's literally just another boring kick.

It's actually amazing how on-the-money the intro for Iron Fist was in that it says absolutely nothing, and only comes off as grossly anti-climactic.

Garou

Is there a summary-video for all the series before it, I want to refresh my memory but don't have time to rewatch everything.

Diamondback and Shades>>>>>>>All netflix villains
Lmao. Love shades actor but villain? What did that dude even do but talk hard and get son'd? Also diamondback was brilliant if they were going for 70's blaxploitation...which they weren't soooooo

Kingpin also sucked and I say that loving Vincent. Come to think of it the Hand are fucking garbage too. Guess there will always be kilgrave

Lonestar

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the intro sequence. Looking back at the intro sequences for all their previous shows, it's amazing how perfectly the encapsulate the themes and tone of the shows themselves.

Daredevil - the blood reveals otherwise invisible images of the city, of justice, of faith, and finally, the Devil himself

Jessica Jones - through a haze of drunkenness and sleaze, a voyeuristic look a the secrets people hide away. But looking even deeper, foggy memories and figures peek in and out of the shadows

Luke Cage - the heat and history of Harlem reflecting onto the body of Cage himself, until finally at the end, he shatters barriers with just his fist

Iron Fist - a meaningless, featureless figure performs weightless martial arts over a city landscape, with smears tracing behind his every movie with little to no reason or affect. Towards the end, the music picks up, and all that energy focuses and channels through the figure until finally, they unleash... just another boring kick. Not even the Iron Fist for a gigantic finish, it's literally just another boring kick.

It's actually amazing how on-the-money the intro for Iron Fist was in that it says absolutely nothing, and only comes off as grossly anti-climactic.

I will always say the Daredevil one is the best intro. In look, in musical theme, and in idea. Everything is invisible until the shape of it is defined by the "red/blood". Kind of like DD being blind, but everything is defined into shapes with his senses.

But mostly, because I have very little recollection of the other 3 intros, until your links ;P

LotusHD

Banned
Every time I rewatch Luke Cage I forget about that kiss at the end? That was fucking weird and I don't feel like Mariah would do that.

Yea I wasn't feeling that either...

sure but he's still better than Harold Meachum.

Of course, but it's Iron Fist, so not surprising.

Jessica Jones - through a haze of drunkenness and sleaze, a voyeuristic look a the secrets people hide away. But looking even deeper, foggy memories and figures peek in and out of the shadows, all to reveal this as being the perspective of Jessica herself.

Lmao that's ultimately IF's biggest problem. Even if people ain't feeling the other shows, it's undeniable that they had a memorable thematic value to them. IF on the other hand, not so much.

In addition to this I am extremely interested in season 2 of Jessica Jones.

tumblr_os0e27Q0OY1tgtdrfo1_400.jpg
tumblr_os0e27Q0OY1tgtdrfo2_400.jpg

EloNoolah

I finally finished Iron Fist this week after putting off watching it for like five months in preparation for Defenders. I honestly felt like it wasn't that bad (except for Danny being dumber than a sack of rocks and most of the choreography/some of the dialogue being questionable at best) until Bakuto shows up. Good LORD does that show just jump right into the toilet as soon as he becomes a major player. The entire arc at his compound and the revelation about Colleen go nowhere and the character and the actor himself are completely flat and uninteresting. As much as I tried to stay positive and enjoy the show for what it was those last few episodes just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Toa TAK

Banned
Daredevil and Jessica Jones have my favorite themes and intros.

Luke Cage's is good, though.

Iron Fist's theme is neat, but damn, is his intro the worst. It's bland as hell.

LotusHD

Banned
In addition to this I am extremely interested in season 2 of Jessica Jones.

tumblr_os0e27Q0OY1tgtdrfo1_400.jpg
tumblr_os0e27Q0OY1tgtdrfo2_400.jpg

Omg she got new clothes...

Honestly, JJ S2 is what I worry the most about. (IF S2 doesn't count.) Kilgrave was a huge part of why the first season was great, but now he's dead. I like Jessica the most out of the four though, so I guess I just gotta see what they'll come up with next.

EYEL1NER

Anyone know what time it'll go live? I'm trying to remember what time Iron Fist and Luke Cage appeared over here on the East Coast but that was a while back.

EYEL1NER

I feel like it'll be this weird thing at best, but not a normal couple.

3am EST
Cool, that's what I was assuming but like I said, I can't remember far back enough to remember when the last few went up. I'll probably stay up and watch at least the first episode.
Edit: Or maybe 4 am? Either way, I'm staying up. Just need to know what time I should swap from whatever game I'm playing over to Netflix.

PsychBat!

Banned

This is pretty accurate. I'll provide a little more accuracy (even though it's entirely meaningless). Notice in the first quarter of IF's intro, he's not performing martial arts in the city but in the wild. If the show had featured better fight scenes/editing then it would make the intro retroactively better. But it doesn't so it didn't.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, I loved Diamondback. He was insanely over the top and it was great. Hugely entertaining. But I understand how going from Cottonmouth to Diamondback could push people off a bit. It's a very harsh change in tone.

Netflix Marvel is amazing.

LotusHD

Banned
Cool, that's what I was assuming but like I said, I can't remember far back enough to remember when the last few went up. I'll probably stay up and watch at least the first episode.
Edit: Or maybe 4 am? Either way, I'm staying up. Just need to know what time I should swap from whatever game I'm playing over to Netflix.

It's 3 :(

Word. Liking the new look. Plus fuck what anyone else says JJ season 1 is still the BEST marvel Netflix show yet
My fav too. I feel like it's not as rewatchable as the other two though. I find a lot of the shit that made it great was the twists and reactions to events and Kilgrave's powers we didn't see coming, but when you rewatch it you know it's coming.

I remember tripping out to "pick up the coffee, throw it in your face" the first time, but on repeats I didn't feel anything.

Omg she got new clothes...

Honestly, JJ S2 is what I worry the most about. (IF S2 doesn't count.) Kilgrave was a huge part of why the first season was great, but now he's dead. I like Jessica the most out of the four though, so I guess I just gotta see what they'll come up with next.

Yes. Girl must've gained some new confidence after killing Kilgrave. Looks like she isn't wearing jeans and a leather jacket every day now. I see she got lipstick too.

Well, she might have more interesting villains in her rogues gallery? I know no one outside of Purple Man. I hope they just forget about Nuke Simpson.

You haters all just didn't understand when he said it the twelfth time.

HE IS THE IRON FIST.

I wonder how many times he's said it.

My fav too. I feel like it's not as rewatchable as the other two though. I find a lot of the shit that made it great was the twists and reactions to events and Kilgrave's powers we didn't see coming, but when you rewatch it you know it's coming.

I remember tripping out to "pick up the coffee, throw it in your face" the first time, but on repeats I didn't feel anything.

Yes. Girl must've gained some new confidence after killing Kilgrave. Looks like she isn't wearing jeans and a leather jacket every day now. I see she got lipstick too.

Well, she might have more interesting villains in her rogues gallery? I know no one outside of Purple Man. I hope they just forget about Nuke Simpson.

For sure feel you on the rewatchability of JJ. It's more a dread filled character piece than even the darkest parts of DD but that's what made it so much better too. Honestly if they just wrote better villains for any of the other series it would elevate them to amazing (I mean the fucking Hand?! Again?!)

LotusHD

Banned
Strict speculation, but probably a safe bet:

Mariah is gonna die and JJ's taking back her chocolate.

Wait what, Luke is dating Claire, not Mariah...

Does he have a secret identity in the comics?

I have no idea, I don't read the comics, I just know he'd look a lot better with it, help DD not look dumb, and most importantly, it makes it a lot easier for them to get stunt doubles in there.

----

Iron Fist would never deceive us.

Top Bottom