• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Harmen

Blind Guardian will be releasing their new live album in July. Three discs (or 4 LP's). Songs were selected from the EU tour from their last album and they picked the best performances from about 30 shows (similar approach to their 2003 album Live).

live-beyond-the-spheres.jpg

Tracklist:

CD 1
1.The Ninth Wave
2.Banish From Sanctuary
3.Nightfall
4.Prophecies
5.Tanelorn
6.The Last Candle
7.And Then There Was Silence

CD 2
1.The Lord of the Rings
2.Fly
3.Bright Eyes
4.Lost In the Twilight Hall
5.Imaginations From the Other Side
6.Into the Storm
7.Twilight of the Gods
8.A Past and Future Secret
9.And the Story Ends

CD 3
1.Sacred Worlds
2.The Bard’s Song (In the Forest)
3.Valhalla
4.Wheel of Time
5.Majesty
6.Mirror Mirror

I love the band and I am looking forward to this package. A bit predictable selections of songs though (they played much more during the tour), and the cover is boring.

Bitanator

Have fun man, tell me how it is

Also important question for everyone:
Dukes or Zetro Exodus

Steve, Dukes ruined a lot of the classic songs but live shows got more crazy. I had more fun at Exodus shows with Dukes, but glad Steve is back in, just do not let him write anymore songs

Steve, Dukes ruined a lot of the classic songs but live shows got more crazy. I had more fun at Exodus shows with Dukes, but glad Steve is back in, just do not let him write anymore songs
Wasn't Blood In Blood Out entirely Holt? I know the album was originally recorded with Dukes vocals before he was ousted for Zetro
Unless you're referring to something.

Bitanator

Wasn't Blood In Blood Out entirely Holt? I know the album was originally recorded with Dukes vocals before he was ousted for Zetro
Unless you're referring to something.

I thought he had writing credit on a couple songs on the album, oh well. Hatriot proves Steve should stay far away from songwriting

Dukes or Zetro Exodus

Very very good tonight even with the shitty sound at the arena, paperless tickets worked really well, wandered in about 8 ish and it was a breeze, can't wait to see them again in a couple of weeks.

And Zetro for me, I didn't mind Dukes but I always felt something was missing, then again the last two times I've seen them Holt has been MIA so I guess there is still something missing.

I don't know much of Fear Factory, but I did see them once 3.5 years ago in Anaheim, CA. They were opening for Megadeth. Nobody seemed to know who they were or were just tired from the guys before them. I don't know their shit, so I wasn't moving much cause I was trying to hear their playing. I liked what I heard, but most of the crowd wasn't reacting...at all. Well the band got pissed. "WE WEREN'T ON K-ROQ PLAYING BACKYARDS AND SHIT, WE'RE REAL LA METAL SHIT." They play the next song, signature song I assume. Crowd reacts better, but still kinda dead. "WE'VE BEEN DOING THIS SHIT FOR YEARS" Crowd starts booing. This goes on for the rest of the show. Every 2 songs, rants about how authentic they are lol.

They played for 45 minutes, but that shit felt like a whole 90 minutes. Still the best "worst" show I've seen.

Dukes or Zetro Exodus
Dukes

With Dukes they felt like a relevant band, with Zetro they are a nostalgia act. Saw them with King Diamond (minus Holt) and it was a joke, especially with Zetro's stage banter consisting of "YEAH THIS ONE'S FOR ALL THE OLD SCHOOLERS! OLD SCHOOL! REMEMBER WHEN WE TOURED WITH CELTIC FROST IN THE 80S? OLD SCHOOL!"

People can hate Dukes all they want for being a big dumb ignorant idiot, dude put on a much better show.

Then again Exodus is too lazy to change their setlist for the past 7+ years so they obviously don't care. There's obviously demos of Blood In, Blood Out with Dukes so he's not completely absolved of guilt but that album is straight up trash. "half way no way give it all you got! we wrote the book so you better know the plot!" fuck you

I thought he had writing credit on a couple songs on the album, oh well. Hatriot proves Steve should stay far away from songwriting
Wikipedia says hes got one credit for Body Harvest but everything else was Holt outside of one song which was Atlus. Doesn't say what he contributed though. Could be something as small as a riff.

Very very good tonight even with the shitty sound at the arena, paperless tickets worked really well, wandered in about 8 ish and it was a breeze, can't wait to see them again in a couple of weeks.

And Zetro for me, I didn't mind Dukes but I always felt something was missing, then again the last two times I've seen them Holt has been MIA so I guess there is still something missing.
I feel like Holt just writes differently with Dukes than he does with Zetro which is why the Exhibit albums sound ao different from their other stuff.

Dukes

With Dukes they felt like a relevant band, with Zetro they are a nostalgia act. Saw them with King Diamond (minus Holt) and it was a joke, especially with Zetro's stage banter consisting of "YEAH THIS ONE'S FOR ALL THE OLD SCHOOLERS! OLD SCHOOL! REMEMBER WHEN WE TOURED WITH CELTIC FROST IN THE 80S? OLD SCHOOL!"

People can hate Dukes all they want for being a big dumb ignorant idiot, dude put on a much better show.

Then again Exodus is too lazy to change their setlist for the past 7+ years so they obviously don't care. There's obviously demos of Blood In, Blood Out with Dukes so he's not completely absolved of guilt but that album is straight up trash. "half way no way give it all you got! we wrote the book so you better know the plot!" fuck you
I can see the nostalgia act complaint though ive yet to see them live.
i really like Blood in Blood Out though
. But Im not a fan of the title track or Salt the Wound (I often confuse them for being the same song). But i think songs like My Last Nerve, Numb and Wrapped In the Arms of Rage are quality additions to the Exodus discography.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Blind Guardian will be releasing their new live album in July. Three discs (or 4 LP's). Songs were selected from the EU tour from their last album and they picked the best performances from about 30 shows (similar approach to their 2003 album Live).

I wonder if they will publish from which gig they took each song :)

live-beyond-the-spheres.jpg

Tracklist:

CD 1
1.The Ninth Wave
2.Banish From Sanctuary
3.Nightfall
4.Prophecies
5.Tanelorn
6.The Last Candle
7.And Then There Was Silence

CD 2
1.The Lord of the Rings
2.Fly
3.Bright Eyes
4.Lost In the Twilight Hall
5.Imaginations From the Other Side
6.Into the Storm
7.Twilight of the Gods
8.A Past and Future Secret
9.And the Story Ends

CD 3
1.Sacred Worlds
2.The Bard’s Song (In the Forest)
3.Valhalla
4.Wheel of Time
5.Majesty
6.Mirror Mirror

I love the band and I am looking forward to this package. A bit predictable selections of songs though (they played much more during the tour), and the cover is boring.

That album art is fantastic

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
New Boris "25th anniversary album" Dear on July 10th

boris-dear-h1rgb_sq-5cbb96d19ff0efbfe18ec209899c4daecfc641a2-s400-c85.jpg

Absolutego (yyyup)

Dunno, Noise was alright, maybe they dive back into their drone/doom roots a bit more again. But if they kinda "revisit" their past 25 years then I guess it's gonna be another half-baked jack of all trades album yet again.
I'll go listen to the proper Absolutego now.

Anyone catching the Shining/Revenge tour this month?

I'm always stoked to see Revenge and it'll be nice seeing Shining play more stuff I actually want to hear. Their opening slot tour last year was like 3 from the last album (which I don't care for) 1 from Halmstad (which I love) and a cover (indifferent)

Headline sets from late last year are looking like 2 from each album (IV onward)

People tend to hate Shining because Niklas is the Bam Margera edgelord of black metal, but I really dig their output from Eerie Cold onwards (even if their last album went too far into Opeth territory for my preference)

Tankard

Oh no! I know them personally, very cool guys. This is ridiculous.

Napalm Death tonight, should be fun, lock up, power trip and brujeria o the bill too.

Damn, this line-up would end up killing someone around here, Napalm Death and specially Brujeria concerts here in Brazil have a huge amount of blood and injuries all over the venue, lol.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Works for me. LSD is some scary shit, I'm naturally a pretty anxious and sometimes paranoid, so I'm sure I would have a bad trip on LSD or something similar. Fuck that.

I'll have to listen to this one.

It's a very tough listen. And this album is their ....more accessible album. Two discs of unadulterated dissonance. The vocalist, Greg Chandler, uses a number of effects on his vocals to make them sound like sound effects more than traditional vocals. The first song, Circle, Quickening and Silence are some incredibly gutchurning tracks.

Damn, this line-up would end up killing someone around here, Napalm Death and specially Brujeria concerts here in Brazil have a huge amount of blood and injuries all over the venue, lol.

Wow, good job we just had stagedivers and a pit, hottest gig I've been to in a long time, Napalm were amazing, not keen on Brujeria to be honest.

It's a very tough listen. And this album is their ....more accessible album. Two discs of unadulterated dissonance. The vocalist, Greg Chandler, uses a number of effects on his vocals to make them sound like sound effects more than traditional vocals. The first song, Circle, Quickening and Silence are some incredibly gutchurning tracks.

Epistemological Despondency would be a complete fucking nightmare when tripping. Just The Noise of Depression would be enough to send off down a nightmare road. Very easily.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Epistemological Despondency would be a complete fucking nightmare when tripping. Just The Noise of Depression would be enough to send off down a nightmare road. Very easily.

Yeah, that's one raw as fuck record. No bullshit, no fancy shenanigans. Just straight up crushing psychedelia

Ohnonono

I'll have to check out those two.

Weird dig up of a kind of old post, but aren't you in True Black Dawn? If so, your band is very very very fucking good. So good on you for summoning that up. Also your Medico Peste love makes me think you have rad taste.

You mind giving me some other suggestions of some more abrasive kind of stuff. Love Medico Peste a ton.

*I also love the new White Ward but I don't know if they count as particularly savage, lol*

Ixion

What's the best Metal albums that really delve into the effects of drugs?

Well obviously there's a lot of Metal albums that celebrate drugs (Stoner Metal), but one album I know of that's critical would be "Addicted" by Devin Townsend. It was an album he made after becoming drug-free, and it has a very upbeat tone. I'm sure you've heard it already though.

Melchiah

Weird dig up of a kind of old post, but aren't you in True Black Dawn? If so, your band is very very very fucking good. So good on you for summoning that up. Also your Medico Peste love makes me think you have rad taste.

You mind giving me some other suggestions of some more abrasive kind of stuff. Love Medico Peste a ton.

*I also love the new White Ward but I don't know if they count as particularly savage, lol*

Yep. Thanks for the compliment. We still have two unreleased songs left from the recordings, and a split EP is in the works now that we found a suitable band for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by MP using Inside Flesh for the artwork. I've been a fan of their art for quite some time.

Here's some notable EPs, that might be to your fancy:
Dark Sonority - Kaosrekviem
Cornigr - Funereal Harvest
Adaestuo - Tacent Semitae (a new album is currently in post-production)

+ Tyranny's Aeons in Tectonic Internment album, if funeral doom isn't out of the question.

Scottify

Listening to the John Frum record, the new death metal project from Liam Wilson of DEP and ex-Faceless singer. It's really good so far. Kinda a mix of old school and newer prog-ish death metal. Production is top notch too.

Ohnonono

Yep. Thanks for the compliment. We still have two unreleased songs left from the recordings, and a split EP is in the works now that we found a suitable band for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by MP using Inside Flesh for the artwork. I've been a fan of their art for quite some time.

+ Tyranny's Aeons in Tectonic Internment album, if funeral doom isn't out of the question.

Thanks!

That Tyranny album is very good.

Makes me miss Wormphlegm. I still have the Tomb of the Ancient King or whatever it was called LP Painiax put out around here somewhere.

Melchiah

That Tyranny album is very good.

Makes me miss Wormphlegm. I still have the Tomb of the Ancient King or whatever it was called LP Painiax put out around here somewhere.

It certainly is. Funeral doom isn't one of my favorite genres, but their album stands out for me. Love the guttural vocals as well.

Wormphlegm's demo 2001 is also good.

Good Mastodon show in Pittsburgh last night,.I thought the vocals seemed a little buried in the mix compared to the last time I saw them, but everything sounded great and tons of energy.

Top Bottom