• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

ajim

I dont particularly care that the style is similar to epic yarn, because I think this really suits Yoshi and is the best looking game I've seen in a long time!

So purddy!

hatchx

Banned
Yeah, I loved Epic Yarn's art style! I just don't want to see it transfered over to Yoshi when the Yoshi's Island aesthetic (and it's fans) is crying out for a revisit.

Well, in defence of Yoshi's originality, in all of the screens it showed a lot more 3D models and perspective depth than Epic Yarn, and when Yoshi is 'full', he doesn't have outlined appearance of Kirby. It's definitely similar, but it feels like it's a blend of Epic Yarn and Little Big Planet.

This is Nintendo using Yoshis Story artstyle in 2.5d and HD.

Yoshis Story:

38d55e_-Wii-_48_juegos_wad_para_Wii_y_dolphin_2.jpg

Yoshis Yarn:

iZBsOJo3XxxNc.gif

QwcZxjc.jpg

Those trees in the last shot look alot like those Yoshis Story trees!

ugoo18

I'm hoping Retro breaks free of Nintendo, actually. Same with Monolith.

-_-

This again.

Is it illegal now for Nintendo to own great studios, they saw the talent/potential and took the plunge and now are reaping the rewards of that plunge which they helped setup. If people want to play the games then buy the console or leave it be rather than hoping Nintendo loses studios.

PokéKong

That clip of gameplay makes less and less sense the more I watch it. Yoshi is in traditional Epic Yarn outline style, then eats a Shy Guy, but does not make an egg, but BECOMES AN EGG, bursts out, and is now in some different filled-out yarn style. Just WHAT???

It is pretty weird how they're making this seem like a successor to Story more than Island, it's really unfortunate how they blew that opportunity by shoving out some mediocre outsourced handheld title. Yoshi's Island DS is more puzzling the more I think about it, looking back. Does Nintendo not consider that one of their crowning achievements of the 16bit era? Isn't Miyamoto really proud of it? Then they just treat it like such a cheap property, giving no respect and providing nothing creative or new with it.

PokéKong;47033434 said:
That clip of gameplay makes less and less sense the more I watch it. Yoshi is in traditional Epic Yarn outline style, then eats a Shy Guy, but does not make an egg, but BECOMES AN EGG, bursts out, and is now in some different filled-out yarn style. Just WHAT???

Yes? Seems similar to when Mario grows larger (die in 2 hits) from getting a mushroom.

Yoshi does the same by eating the shy guy.

NotLiquid

I don't think it's likely. The teaser we saw was likely just a way of saying Yoshi is evolving from the yarn style to the plush 2.5D style, due to the same developer.

I never thought about this, would be great if it turned out true. I just can't imagine the Epic Yarn character outline gelling that well with the other screenshots we've seen which looks a hell of a lot more gorgeous than the teaser clip.

That and the animation of Yoshi busting out of the egg looks incredibly lazy.

Davey Cakes

The art style resembles Yoshi's Story a little too much, and that game left a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure if want.
That game was Nintendo EAD's screw up. Art direction doesn't dictate how good the game will be. This new Yoshi title is made by Good Feel and could be a lot of fun.

People shouldn't set their sights too high for the challenge aspect, though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'll never forget the day I got Yoshi's Story. Yoshi's Island was still fresh, only having been released just barely over two years before. I was so happy: a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. A game that I played regularly for months before finally beating, and played for a year before hitting 100%. A game I had re-started and re-started and played through to completion many many times.

Yoshi's Story came out the day before my birthday. It was Providence. I unwrapped it and couldn't wait to put it in my N64. I hit the power button, and was watching the credits roll in less than an hour. Could it have been less than a half hour? I don't remember. To this day it is the biggest disappointment of my gaming career and will always, for me, be the worst game ever made.

I guess my point is that I will believe in a good Yoshi game when the reviews are in. Especially since they seem to be drawing so much from Story. The fact that Epic Yarn was such a joke of a game just adds to my trepidation. I guess it looks pretty, though.

Edit: Just so my post isn't completely negative, I am a big fan of Wario Land: Shake It, so there is definitely hope!

Marlowe89

Art direction doesn't dictate how good the game will be.

It doesn't, but I generally want to be amazed by the art direction too. There's nothing even wrong with the style itself; I just would've preferred something a bit different than an aesthetic reminder of the mediocrity that was Yoshi's Story.

Top Bottom