• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

Dunkley

Get the Ape Escape dev team ASAP.

3465520050611_182427_7_big.jpg

Defuser

RIP Metal Gear Solid. Gonna be run through the ground by those greedy bastards called Konami. Even worse....farm out the franchise to western C/B tier studios.

Salsa

you know regardless of power struggle this was always going to happen

I mean Konami owns the IP and Kojima is a man, a man that has said wants out many times

what did you guys think would eventually happen to Metal Gear?

Spinluck

Annnnnnd this is how you kill a franchise.

I honestly believe Kojima when he says that this one will be the last one to him. I would imagine Fox Engine is finally allowing him to create the MGS he's always sort of wanted to make. Plus it seems like he wants to try other things... like what would've been Silent Hills ;__;

Corpsepyre

Banned
A Metal Gear without Kojima. I don't know what to think. It's just all so surreal. Hard to even believe that Kojima has exited.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This reads to me as entirely ego driven.

Like, a new Metal Gear game was not normally in the cards for this moment in time... A new one is coming out and they'd normally surely wait and see the reaction before planning the next one.

But in the breakdown of talks with KojiPro, some suit was like "we don't need you! We own Metal Gear!" And this new project is actually mandated by ideology to fulfill the threats of the higher ups.

This is a spite-based Metal Gear project.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the OP. TPP is all I need.

Looking forward to seeing who snaps up Kojima and Co but as long as they give him free reign.

/imagines Koji working with Naughty Dog

Broritos

So...which great Japanese game directors haven't been fired/left their original companies other than Nintendo devs?

They're announcing the start of production on the next Metal Gear title earlier than has ever occurred in the series.

You have to assume that they are accelerating the release timeline somewhat, and publishers seeking yearly releases for their top franchise has become quite common. This makes it clear that they want to release Metal Gear games more frequently than when the series was spearheaded by Kojima. History has told as that this eventually leads to the pursuit of yearly releases.

They're announcing it because they have to replace the entire staff and to make it clear that the development of the series won't stop just because Kojima won't be there anymore.

105.Will

It's like watching your friend break up with his girl friend and than her going on Twitter looking to hook up. I feel like I'll only be happy with a new metal gear if Kojima says it's okay.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I see don't understand why they would announce this, something not right
This is just trolling and the silence is odd too.

No.

Do you really think Konami has the money,man power or resolve to release AAA Metal Gear annually ?

Even if they did.Do they even care ?

Not just anyone can milk AAA franchises properly like Ubisoft.

Are you sure they're going to make an AAA Metal Gear?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
They're announcing the start of production on the next Metal Gear title earlier than has ever occurred in the series.

You have to assume that they are accelerating the release timeline somewhat, and publishers seeking yearly releases for their top franchise has become quite common. This makes it clear that they want to release Metal Gear games more frequently than when the series was spearheaded by Kojima. History has told as that this eventually leads to the pursuit of yearly releases.
The reasoning behind this is to calm investors who may be worried about the future of the company's largest gaming IP. It's simply a statement to make clear that despite the departure of any staff, production on this series will continue as usual.

It is not an 'announcement' of MGS6. They haven't even hired the staff!

fedexpeon

Banned
I find it is funny that a lot of posters posted "Don't believe his lies" when Kojima was saying this will be the final saga/last game last month.
I guess Konami was getting pissed at how pessimistic Kojima was about the MGS series.

But seriously, that Chicken Hat promo is making sense now.
The trolling finally forces Konami's hands.

Codex5050

I'm like 85% sure they just had a press release saying even though KojiPro is out we will not drop the series. The exact opposite of what Capcom did for Megaman

duckroll

I don't think we can assume anything like that. They're not announcing the start of production on the next Metal Gear title so much as indicating that the Metal Gear team is going to be completely replaced. You need to read between the lines. They are not going to announce that they shitcanned Kojima and confirm negative rumors about their company. But at the same time, it is clear that the current people making Metal Gear Solid are out of the picture, and they are moving on to a "new" Metal Gear series with brand new staff they're looking to hire for. That is the messaging.

Pooya

Gotta be hard to find replacements...few would have the experience suitable for a Metal Gear game in Japan. Maybe they have better luck with their LA studio.

Salsa

if I were Konami i'd just reboot it

best case scenario it ends up like DmC where some people are outraged and others realize it's a great game regardless

and that way you don't "stain" the series or piss off fans that care about a legacy

then again this is Konami so

AniHawk

Konami is now going to proceed and kill the only worthwhile franchise they have left that sells.

i'm surprised they're not finding some american or european studio to get metal gear liquid out by holiday 2017.

it's a semi-reboot of the series, with a young, edgy version of liquid snake.

PlatinumGames to the rescue.

if I were Konami i'd just reboot it

best case scenario it ends up like DmC where some people are outraged and others realize it's a great game regardless

and that way you don't "stain" the series or piss off fans that care about a legacy
That makes no sense.

wrowa

I'm sure this has nothing to do with them needing to replace half the team.

Seriously, what are you expecting? That Konami is not going to search for new blood until half a year after TPP is out, so that production of the next Metal Gear game won't even start until 2017? This shit takes time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Metal Gear is one of Konami's most successful franchises, of course they won't stop producing new games. Even if MGS5 bombs, they'd still plan to make a new one. You don't shelve one your most important IPs because of one underperforming title.
No of course not.

But why this moment?

As KojiPro exits, they are kicking the next Metal Gear into action far faster than would have before.

They need to prove to themselves that they can do it. There is a personalistic nature to this new project that goes beyond "it's the right time".

This is a panic-launched project.

Hasney

giphy.gif

I just... Wow. They are absolutely stupid and can't grasp why their other projects with new teams failed. I mean, it would be one thing to get people together for a new Bomberman, but Metal Gear?

This is going the way of Silent Hill...

GrayChild

So, perhaps handling MGS6 to Kimura if he's still in Konami after that?

What I'm most worried about is Silent Hills, as it looked so promising. If Kojima can at least stay as a freelance developer until the game is complete (especially with how enthusiastic he sounded about this project), my mind would be at ease.

As far as I can see it there are several options for this game:

1. Kojima finishes his directorial duties on it before parting Konami forever.

2. Another director takes his place, probably someone from the more experienced staff from KojiPro left in Konami after the studio disbands.

3. Konami outsources this game to a 3rd rate western developer.

4. The whole project gets canned.

Binabik15

Good luck with that, Konami. You'll need it.

Personally, MGS4 was when I stopped caring about Metal Gear Solid. It wasn't terrible, but it felt like I didn't need more, even crazier shit from Kojima in another game.

Portable Ops played terrible and Peace Walker and base building doesn't interest me mechanically and isn't what I'm looking for storywie, either. Big Boss is not a character I care for a lot. I probably won't even get V because of the combo of BB and even more fulton-ing. Yawn.

Never been a big Metal Gear fan, but this really sucks. I hate to see games move away from there originals creators into the hands of those looking only to make money off of it. They're going to drive this series into the ground.

Top Bottom