• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

FLEABttn

Banned
I started playing in an old 720p and I swear the input lag was gone. I even asked Olimpia if anything had changed since the last patch. I was moving and turning almost too fast.

It's funny how the lag feeling isn't prevalent with everyone. I definitely felt the lag on my 1080 set, but with this older one it's barely noticeable.

It's almost too bad I'm getting back to the newer set in a couple weeks.

So is it that most people aren't experiencing the problem or is it that they do but don't care?

So is it that most people aren't experiencing the problem or is it that they do but don't care?

I find it pretty minimal and darn near unnoticeable myself. I only really noticed it when I was tweaking my sensitivity settings. Otherwise, if you've played Killzone 2 or any number of other "floaty" controlling games, a little input lag is nothing. Game controls nicely, imo. (Wouldn't object to it not being there, just saying.)

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
So lately I've been raging hard while getting wrecked in a jet. I can usually follow just about anyone if I'm already behind them but if a good pilot is behind me I can never gain an advantageous position again. It's driving me nuts, especially when I hear the enemy jet say Burt Burt and I'm 3%, on fire, and screaming towards the ground.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Any recent patches for this? I haven't played in forever... they fixed the controls yet?

redhot_

So lately I've been raging hard while getting wrecked in a jet. I can usually follow just about anyone if I'm already behind them but if a good pilot is behind me I can never gain an advantageous position again. It's driving me nuts, especially when I hear the enemy jet say Burt Burt and I'm 3%, on fire, and screaming towards the ground.

If you haven't been doing this already... Slow down to get a nice sharp turn, then hit the after burners for a few secs to gain some speed back. Works for me most of the time, it is extremely frustrating when a dog fight turns into never ending circles. This is where its good to have another player in a jet up there with you to break it up lol.

I find it pretty minimal and darn near unnoticeable myself. I only really noticed it when I was tweaking my sensitivity settings. Otherwise, if you've played Killzone 2 or any number of other "floaty" controlling games, a little input lag is nothing. Game controls nicely, imo. (Wouldn't object to it not being there, just saying.)

it's not hard to get used to the input lag on the PS3 version, but as soon as i touch the 360 version again, it just becomes so obvious again the next time i touch the PS3 version.

BoatAck

The only fix I've found for how shit this game is, is to return to BC2. Which is exactly what I'm doing right now, but this time on 360. ;)

Those last four or five matches we had yesterday against hose clans were fucking disheartening. I have BF3 on the 360 and have been contemplating playing that version some more, but the thought of leveling up from the beginning again is kinda overwhelming.

JJD

Well, I've seem people say that they haven't experienced lag at all, but I believe that in this case they just weren't used to how Bad Company 2 felt.

I'm in the camp that simply didn't care. Lag was an issue for me for maybe the first few hours when I bought the game, but I adapted quite easily. I used to have a small re-adaptation period when I took a break from the game, but now I don't even have that.

I do believe that lag may be more severe for some people than others. The game controls almost like BC2 on my old 720 plasma set. It is almost too quick. As soon as I get my newer 1080 set back I'm gonna test this. I had to adjust the sensivity all the way up to play on the 1080 TV, but now on the older one I've toned it way down.

FLEABttn

Banned
Well, I've seem people say that they haven't experienced lag at all, but I believe that in this case they just weren't used to how Bad Company 2 felt.

I'm in the camp that simply didn't care. Lag was an issue for me for maybe the first few hours when I bought the game, but I adapted quite easily. I used to have a small re-adaptation period when I took a break from the game, but now I don't even have that.

I do believe that lag may be more severe for some people than others. The game controls almost like BC2 on my old 720 plasma set. It is almost too quick. As soon as I get my newer 1080 set back I'm gonna test this. I had to adjust the sensivity all the way up to play on the 1080 TV, but now on the older one I've toned it way down.
I didn't really play BC2 but retail BF3 to me felt slow compared to virtually every single other fps I had ever played outside of Killzone 2.

The controller lag I had experienced matched the videos I saw where it was around 200 to 233 ms, which is something I could potentially adapt to with enough time invested, but it was just so unpalatable to me that I didn't even want to bother. If Dice ever bothered to fix it I'd pick it up again, but for now they had me waste $30 on what I found to be a sub-par/borderline broken experience, which makes me want to skip next years iteration outright.

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
If you haven't been doing this already... Slow down to get a nice sharp turn, then hit the after burners for a few secs to gain some speed back. Works for me most of the time, it is extremely frustrating when a dog fight turns into never ending circles. This is where its good to have another player in a jet up there with you to break it up lol.

yeah definitely helps with a wingman. I was doing the sharp turn but not applying a burst of afterburner so I'll try that out. And the split S has gotten me destroyed against good pilots so I'm unsure about the application of that one. Am I a turbo nerd if when I'm not playing bf3 I'm pretending my hand is a jet to visualize better evasion movements?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's basically "we all feel it, but dealwithit.gif while praying DICE fixes it a year later." :|

Also KDR up and down these last 6 games I played today. Cal and I only one like one or two rounds by ourself and then Faceless I joined, Cal joined. Dunno who blue is but joined. Lost only like one or two rounds.

The input lag really pisses me off as it throws my aim COMPLETELY off.

redhot_

yeah definitely helps with a wingman. I was doing the sharp turn but not applying a burst of afterburner so I'll try that out. And the split S has gotten me destroyed against good pilots so I'm unsure about the application of that one. Am I a turbo nerd if when I'm not playing bf3 I'm pretending my hand is a jet to visualize better evasion movements?

Well, if you are getting destroyed super quick its probably because your flying straight for to long OR in a turn and you were keeping your jet "flat" ill call it.. for to long and the enemy caught up. Using the after burner idea i talked about helps that out, same with using legacy controller lay out on ps3 i find with the roll on one stick helps me control my spins better(just my preference). The smaller you appear the better.

Some pilots are persistent as all hell and will try to stay on you forever and just pick you apart. And this is where a button or something would come in handy to call on your other pilot not in your squad to help.(Take notes DICE!)

BoatAck

Well, if you are getting destroyed super quick its probably because your flying straight for to long OR in a turn and you were keeping your jet "flat" ill call it.. for to long and the enemy caught up. Using the after burner idea i talked about helps that out, same with using legacy controller lay out on ps3 i find with the roll on one stick helps me control my spins better(just my preference). The smaller you appear the better.

Some pilots are persistent as all hell and will try to stay on you forever and just pick you apart. And this is where a button or something would come in handy to call on your other pilot not in your squad to help.(Take notes DICE!)

What is the deal where you kinda just stall out and lose control of your plane for like 5-10 seconds? Am I stalling? I'm pretty sure I'm keeping up my speed. What am I doing wrong there?
I know the planes are nothing alike and modern jets pack a lot more power, but piloting my plane in 1943 felt "heavier" and like I had more control. The planes in BF3 feel more "floaty". I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity for just the jets.

redhot_

What is the deal where you kinda just stall out and lose control of your plane for like 5-10 seconds? Am I stalling? I'm pretty sure I'm keeping up my speed. What am I doing wrong there?
I know the planes are nothing alike and modern jets pack a lot more power, but piloting my plane in 1943 felt "heavier" and like I had more control. The planes in BF3 feel more "floaty". I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity for just the jets.

You stall at 900 feet, or if you throttle down to much and your low enough your landing gears come out, to get out of this just hit after burners.

meppi

Those last four or five matches we had yesterday against hose clans were fucking disheartening. I have BF3 on the 360 and have been contemplating playing that version some more, but the thought of leveling up from the beginning again is kinda overwhelming.

Looking back at those, it was at least 5 Swedish guys that stuck together no matter what.
Didn't realize what was happening until I checked battelog afterwards.
They just bum-rushed every flag they wanted to take so they could start spawn camping and the others were glad to join in on the party.
Couple that with our side always having to start from the shitty end of the map thanks to DICE's retarded map balancing, if you can even call it that. As well as our team pretty much falling apart and doing their own thing, one guy at a time, instead of attacking certain point in a somewhat strategic manner...

The only thing keeping me from getting the 360 version right now is that Mancunian11 doesn't have the system. And lately the only times I boot my PS3 is when he texts me that he likes to play.

Otherwise I'm playing BC2 on 360 (or Halo which I just started) and having a blast even though I'm very rusty and it can be hard to find full teams.
In hindsight that game was just way more fun to me. Heck Rush and Conquest both were nearly as much fun to play and I can run around like crazy with a wookie without feeling the need to lay prone on a rock for 20min.
If you'd like to add me on 360, it's the same as on PS3: meppi64 ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Choppers are so much easier to control with the Legacy setup. Jesus why isn't this one the default? Been struggling for all this time needlessly...

MrBig

You stall at 900 feet, or if you throttle down to much and your low enough your landing gears come out, to get out of this just hit after burners.

I've taken out so many people that were on my tail by forcing them into that barrier. It's one of the few ways to actually kill another jet with an F-35, too.

I'm nearing on 100 hours in game and am just now getting to the 2nd Colonel rank, and I stayed on the first 230k stretch for a long time. How is it possible that people are at Colonel 40+ (if that is what the number symbolizes) already? Seems like an insane amount of play time, and I feel like I play way too much already

Sadetar

Insane come back. We always have a long shot chance, but that was about as close as it gets. Still pumped over that win.
Well, you and Mr. Faceless are both insanely awesome, so I wouldn't expect any less from you. ^__^

Oh and btw, I have been thinking how bad wannabe I can be so it is generally acceptable for a noobie like me to use GAF as a clan tag?

leveling from the beginning isn't so bad...

in jets and choppers it can be a pain, and for me, not having the Smoke Launcher and AT Mines was a real annoyance, but overall, it was ok.

Well, you and Mr. Faceless are both insanely awesome, so I wouldn't expect any less from you. ^__^

Oh and btw, I have been thinking how bad wannabe I can be so it is generally acceptable for a noobie like me to use GAF as a clan tag?

of course you can use GAF as a clan tag!

Kingles

Neo Member
Hey NeoGaf Newbie here again. Do many guys play together off the forum? I'm from the UK and would definitely be interested in teaming up. Add me if interested 'Kingles08'.

TheSeks

leveling from the beginning isn't so bad...

in jets and choppers it can be a pain, and for me, not having the Smoke Launcher and AT Mines was a real annoyance, but overall, it was ok.

I honestly haven't used the AT mines since they made them disappear on death. Kinda similar to me not using them in BC1. Imagine that.

I also haven't touched Jets or Choppers in months because LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK "OKAY BUT WHEN DO I BREAK LO--"*crash*

I've learned to fly low with helicopters. Below radar helps, and its more fun.

About a month ago I was playing Rush on Caspian border, I was in the black hawk with a full load rushing over to their last base, and last objective to go, a claymore killed the guy that was alone after he armed it.

I saw their entire team coming across from their spawn to rush over there, with no one to stop them. I swooped down and hovered feet above the ground and let my right side gunner go to town on their entire team, while the rest of the guys in the chopper got out and charged them.

Brings tears to my eyes, bro :')

we won.

Yes, we are both insanely awesome, to say the least. Definitely use that GAF clan tag!

I honestly haven't used the AT mines since they made them disappear on death. Kinda similar to me not using them in BC1. Imagine that.

I also haven't touched Jets or Choppers in months because LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK "OKAY BUT WHEN DO I BREAK LO--"*crash*

so you're switching to 360 too?

and yeah, i haven't used AT Mines since they show up on the minimap without spotting after the patch.

Too bad that's a late level unlock, so getting there is not fun.

Just like jets.

you should unlock the ECM Jammer. it's awesome!

Hey NeoGaf Newbie here again. Do many guys play together off the forum? I'm from the UK and would definitely be interested in teaming up. Add me if interested 'Kingles08'.

and hey please say what platform too, its mainly PSN gamers here but the console platforms are not in different threads.

Sadetar

and hey please say what platform too, its mainly PSN gamers here but the console platforms are not in different threads.
Well, that person's profile says "PS Network User ID: kingles08" so I could make a wild guess, he/she referred to PSN, but I do understand that some people can't afford to lose around 1,6 seconds of their precious lifes to check that kind of things. ;)

Well, that person's profile says "PS Network User ID: kingles08" so I could make a wild guess, he/she referred to PSN, but I do understand that some people can't afford to lose around 1,6 seconds of their precious lifes to check that kind of things. ;)

too much work!

if kingles08 wants me to add him he better make it as easy as possible!

TheSeks

so you're switching to 360 too?

NOPE.avi

But if I had a job (*cough*) I'd reget a 360, if only for Radiant Silvergun.

and yeah, i haven't used AT Mines since they show up on the minimap without spotting after the patch.

It's more the "disappears after death" than the "shows up on the mini-map" for me.

you should unlock the ECM Jammer. it's awesome!

LATE LEVEL UNLOCK. I barely pilot anymore because these "get out of jail" unlocks are so far in the unlock lists that getting there is a pain.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yay! Now I can be one of the cool kids.

...so we can just look like beasts when we are dominating the top of the scoreboards with GAF tags (at least in my wet dreams).

And if your really lucky...The otherteams clan may call in reinforcements...

TheSeks

Man, those rounds were insane. I don't wear the GAF tag anymore because people thought we were a legit clan in BC2. It was hilarious, they were sending hate messages to Dream and Evolved because we were winning games before.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not sure if this is a widespread problem but here in Japan none of my clan or I can connect to empty hardcore servers (or normal..I think) whether we're grouped up or alone or whether the server region is Asia or any other region. It always gives us a "host error" message. We can connect to games with people in them just fine though. Only been happening since the patch. Anyone else experience this? Is this a known issue? We're on PS3.

Sadetar

Silly newbie, why would you not want enemy reinforcements?
Challenge = fun.
More people to defeat = more fun.
I happily sign the silly and the newbie part, but in really good, enjoyable matches, you don't have enemy reinforcements because

Both teams are doing decent = challenge
Challenge = fun
Fun = nobody is quitting
Nobody is quitting = no room for enemy reinforcements

^__^

hahhahahahahahaha

i still can't believe that series of games!

they kept calling in more people until they had 10 clan peeps in the game!

and they were good, but honestly, i don't know if they would have won if it wasn't Metro Defense.

TheSeks

hahhahahahahahaha

i still can't believe that series of games!

they kept calling in more people until they had 10 clan peeps in the game!

and they were good, but honestly, i don't know if they would have won if it wasn't Metro Defense.

My KDR can't handle those types of games. ;___;

redhot_

Wow! what fucked up match making tonight on Ps3... nothing but Tehran Highway and Seine Crossing with no more then 8 players on each team in quick match, and I quit them all hahaha. Both of my least favorite maps and that is all it will give me.. WHY DICE!. Never thought i actually would have to select a conquest map in the search to avoid this garbage. Ugh.

Top Bottom