• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Lucreto

Just finished the game. 80 hours and 94% completion and enjoyed every second of it.

Yes the game is buggy and pop in everywhere which doesn't take away from the experience for me. I loved Inquisition and the way it did things which are considered a drawback to some gamers.

I have no problem with delivery quests, gathering mission and resource collecting and I enjoy doing them. It's a pity all the planets didn't have something to collect.

I would change a few things. I didn't like the research and development system. I would rather not have a list of items to develop but actually go out and find the blueprints and bring them back to be researched on a timer. Then each version of like the M-8 Avenger should required further research and a research tree similar to the choices when upgrading powers. Want a bigger clip Size? Research that then enhance further with augmentations and mods. It wouldn't have hurt to have a firing range to test the weapons. I have research the weapon, spend resources on it, go out and test it then finding out I don't like it. I wasted two hours, research points and resources testing out sniper rifles.

Next the AVP system was a bit meh in my books. Very little use but could have been a lot better. The Inquisition board should have been a good example. Instead of being the lazy Man's way of resource gathering for people who wouldn't bother putting in the work they would be running story lines through it like in Inquisition with choice effecting the outcome of different relationships in the sector. I bit like the Apex team set up. There should have been like Inquisition 3 or four ways to handle the missions. Addison wanting to do it one way, Kesh another, Tann another and Kandros another.

A minor grievance is the map not being mapped to the touch pad like most games. The map was used a lot by me and they could of mapped the weapon change to the down on the dpad as the scanner is useless during a firefight or by holding square.

A lot of the problems I feel are down to the lack of experience in the development team. This was their first big title outside of multiplayer and ME3 dlc. The experienced staff are all on other projects for Dragon Age and the new IP. They had a lot of good ideas but couldn't implement them properly. The next title would be starting the planning phase by now but it is allegedly on hiatus. I feel the next title will be announced once people are freed up with other titles and a new team is put together with people with experience with the IP. Time was mismanaged with the lack of the minor species and only 2 new races and lack of lore from the Angara shows this.

I still hope for further support on this title. I feel the Quarian Ark was removed from the game due to time constraints and hopefully we get that as dlc.

GizF1

Neo Member
I just completed it today as well

I hope mass effect can come back from the poor initial reaction to Andromeda. The actual main story and it's ideas and where it looked to be going were great. I'd love to continue the adventure.

If anyone is still interested please give it a chance yes some aspects of it are poorly designed and thought out but a lot of it is very interesting and the combat is great fun.

Voeld is terrible. Easily the worst planet.
Wtf is with the doors in Kadara port??
Surely the galaxy map doesn't take up so much memory that every system needs to have a load sequence.
If it really does then don't make me do missions / tasks that make me go across multiple systems.

diaspora

I hope mass effect can come back from the poor initial reaction to Andromeda. The actual main story and it's ideas and where it looked to be going were great. I'd love to continue the adventure.

If anyone is still interested please give it a chance yes some aspects of it are poorly designed and thought out but a lot of it is very interesting and the combat is great fun.

Surely the galaxy map doesn't take up so much memory that every system needs to have a load sequence.
If it really does then don't make me do missions / tasks that make me go across multiple systems

I liked Voeld but as I've made clear basically everywhere on GAF, that I agree with the bolded at least. I think part of what hurts the game is that it's a walking contradiction of itself. It's written to be about the untamed frontier but lets you freely come and go to any planet as you please. Like... Eos doesn't feel that dangerous pre-vault even with the radiation because I'm never really in any danger if I can leave whenever I want.

Like, you can be about the untamed frontier of space, or you can have a game where you can freely travel to whatever planet/zone you want with quests that even demand this of you. Don't do both. Similarly, you can have a labourous travel system or you can have quests spanning multiple planets. Don't do both.

hydruxo

If it really does then don't make me do missions / tasks that make me go across multiple systems.

Voeld was alright. Eos is the worst planet. it actually had me considering putting the game down, it was just so damn boring. Once you leave there it gets better.

GizF1

Neo Member
I didn't mind Eos because it didn't take me that long to do. I felt like it took me forever to do Voeld and I was just criss crossing the world from objective to objective and then find I'd have to go back to where I had just been or very close to it for the next objective of another mission.

It could be down to the way I play. I get all the missions from the starting location then check the map and go to the closest objective then the next closest then the next and so on. Maybe the game wants me to stick to one mission at a time but I don't have time for that. If I see an objective marker near to where I am I'll go and investigate it.

On the plus side it made Havarl a nice change. Small area easy to run around.

I wonder if the choice of which world to do first (Havarl / Voeld) affects how you feel about them.

diaspora

I didn't mind Eos because it didn't take me that long to do. I felt like it took me forever to do Voeld and I was just criss crossing the world from objective to objective and then find I'd have to go back to where I had just been or very close to it for the next objective of another mission.

It could be down to the way I play. I get all the missions from the starting location then check the map and go to the closest objective then the next closest then the next and so on. Maybe the game wants me to stick to one mission at a time but I don't have time for that. If I see an objective marker near to where I am I'll go and investigate it.

On the plus side it made Havarl a nice change. Small area easy to run around.

I wonder if the choice of which world to do first (Havarl / Voeld) affects how you feel about them.
I had fast travel available for most of Voeld's quests, and when I had to drive there was a decent amount of banter in the Nomad along the way. Between these two things it's probably why I didn't find the planet to be bad personally. Plus I loved the ancient AI quest.

What bothered me was any and all quests that involved leaving the planet. Plus needing to board the Tempest to check my email.

Holy crap, my fps just tanks on Havarl now. I'm on a second playthrough and for some reason the planet knocks my frames down to 10-15. It's borderline unplayable.
Did a patch change Havarl's environment in some way?

Tritroid

Just finished it today, and after all the negativity pinned on the game, I was surprised to find I didn't agree with any of it...at all. I actually really loved the game, and the story! If EA really is putting ME on hiatus just because of all of the flack the facial animations got (granted, they WERE bad, but have been fixed, so who cares), then I'm going to be super sad.

This game really is a return to ME1 in almost every way, but with a much MUCH better combat system. The sense of exploration, and encroaching doom is all there, as is the fetch/operational side missions that most reviews complained about.

And in the end, the way it's tied into the original trilogy? Brilliant.

Discovering that the Andromeda initiative was created solely due to the Reaper threat in the milky way was an awesome twist. Coupled with the fact that technically the Andromeda arks left shortly after the events of ME1, and Shepard's encounter with Sovereign, and have NO idea (aside from Alec) that the milky way was even invaded by the Reapers in ME3. Wow.

I think we're also supposed to assume that the "Benefactor" is actually the illusive man?
If so, that means Cerberus was actually the drive behind the Andromeda initiative to begin with, and even the further development of SAM. Very cool.

Original trilogy connections aside, the ending was explosive, in typical ME fashion.
Awesome way to end the game, and it felt like one big roller coaster ride up until the very end, when the Hyperion crash-lands on Meridian.

I really hope, if we don't get a proper sequel, that they at least bring in DLC, because the story, and the characters, are worth a return visit.. Fuck EA if they put this franchise out to pasture completely.

evilsin

Picked this up on the discount during the previous weekend and I'm enjoying quite a lot. Biotics all the way! For some reason the fetch quests are kinda addicting. I believe I might have had less fun if I played this at launch though.

So people are talking about the next patch and that it's coming in the beginning of June? Was this confirmed and what can we expect?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Picked this up on the discount during the previous weekend and I'm enjoying quite a lot. Biotics all the way! For some reason the fetch quests are kinda addicting. I believe I might have had less fun if I played this at launch though.

So people are talking about the next patch and that it's coming in the beginning of June? Was this confirmed and what can we expect?

More bug fixes, improved character creator, new M/M romance I think? Although no one said anything about early June. Still should be in June though.

Dash

Kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a save file for the PC just around starting Kadara? I'd like to switch from the PS4 to the PC version, but I don't want to have to restart the entire game :\.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a save file for the PC just around starting Kadara? I'd like to switch from the PS4 to the PC version, but I don't want to have to restart the entire game :\.
I might, but that's only because I have like a bajillion saves on my default Male Ryder playthrough.

You can romance Suvi?

Might have to do that NG+ run....
yes but only if you
play as female Ryder.

Nah she was a girl.

I did
the first flirting dialogue and then never got a followup option again so I didn't know what next.
Huh, you mean when you're first meeting your crew? I actually didn't do that one. After the first mission, did you go through all the dialogue options and ask her about her faith? When you do, you can share that you feel the same and might want to talk about it over drinks on the Nexus.

Madness

Just picked this up today. Was on sale for 39$. Want to play it just my backlog is really backed up. But for the price couldn't pass it up

The price would have been cheaper soon. If you already had a backlog, you should have held off, probably another patch by then and an even lower sale. The prices won't rise for this game. Series is essentially dead for now. Still though, you'll enjoy it. A lot of early bugs and glitches have been fixed.

Chaplain

Anyone else experiencing frame rate problems on the newest patch on PS4 Pro? It is easy to see, just pan the camera in areas with multiple light sources.

deafmedal

I really hope, if we don't get a proper sequel, that they at least bring in DLC, because the story, and the characters, are worth a return visit.. Fuck EA if they put this franchise out to pasture completely.

Agree with everything, especially quoted part but not the
Benefactor part. It is believed that the Benefactor is in the system and in touch with the Kett so unless it's a clone, most likely not TIM.

Not that it matters, I reckon we might have to head cannon our own conclusions...
Quarian Ark destroyed by Scourge, Remnant technology fails and the entire Initiative dies off slowly, Kett invade the Miiilllkee Way and exalt all the species thus rendering Shepard's sacrifice/hard work pointless.

Lucreto

Anyone else experiencing frame rate problems on the newest patch on PS4 Pro? It is easy to see, just pan the camera in areas with multiple light sources.

Not that I have noticed but I tend to be very forgiving on little issues like that.

SAM going back to telling me I have new email when I have none was far more irritating.

Someone is offering me a copy of Andromeda , Xbox One, for $25. Good deal?

I've never played a Mass Effect game before. Is the multiplayer decent? I have a few friends who are playing that right now.

Ricker

Finished it yesterday and loved it...the Primary missions,loyalty missions where awesome...the last 2 main missions where great,with a few awesome cutscenes,I was like yeah...

I loved the crew,didnt find the dialog and banter between them that bad,the main planets where good,even though I wasnt crazy about the damage from environments at first...yeah I had a few glitches,stuff marked as new that werent,the research and develop was kinda unnecessary,and there was some awkward moments in a few cutscenes,like the Jaal/Liam sidequest lol but overall,pretty good...

Played for 90 hours and I am kinda sad that we probably wont get another Ryder family ME...heres hoping for a few story DLC but from what I read lately I doubt it...

Jag

I'm glad people are enjoying it as well. I'm done with the second planet and I'm playing mostly as a completionist which takes forever. I'm hearing so much negative crap about the game here on Gaf that I almost skipped it, but I got it for a decent price and really enjoying it.

I do have some minor complaints with unskippable scenes and constant loading, but that's with most games these days.

Arklite

I like PeeBee more than Liara to be honest, a quicky in the escape pod is a ok way to pass the time....

Peebee doesn't hold a candle to Liara, but on the other hand I actually like Cora, which most people don't seem to. It's an odd crew, the only one with consistent acceptance seems to be Drack.

Arklite

^ True enough, I just liked her personality better, and Peebee's change from aloof associate to accepting teammate felt equally unconvincing for me.

Plasma

Banned
Agree with everything, especially quoted part but not the
Benefactor part. It is believed that the Benefactor is in the system and in touch with the Kett so unless it's a clone, most likely not TIM.

Not that it matters, I reckon we might have to head cannon our own conclusions...
Quarian Ark destroyed by Scourge, Remnant technology fails and the entire Initiative dies off slowly, Kett invade the Miiilllkee Way and exalt all the species thus rendering Shepard's sacrifice/hard work pointless.

Or if you picked the control ending in Mass Effect 3 the Kett come to the Milky Way to exalt and are wiped out in a few seconds by Shepard's reapers.

I think that I am going to pick this up today. I love the first Mass Effect trilogy and judging from people's reactions after the patches, I think it's time. I am going to get the PC version of this so is there anything I should be aware of?

My specs are:
CPU: 4790K
Mem: 16gb
GPU: 1080 with a cooler

I want to play this at 4k as well. Thanks for your feedback.

Frozone

I just wanted to chime in here and ask a major question pertaining to this game.

Why did everyone review it so badly? I am about 20hrs or so in and I love the game! The gameplay is pretty smooth and pretty much like the older ME games. The graphics are one of the best I've seen so date (lighting and shading are top notch) on a PC @ 4k at Ultra settings. Yes, my FPS tanks below 30FPS at times, but there is really a LOT going on in the engine. This is one of Frostbites best showcases to date. I can see the crude facial animation during cut scenes.. yes, it's there but not bad enough to judge the entire game as being crappy. There are some bugs here and there with the voiceovers popping in and out but nothing game-breaking.

I think that I am going to pick this up today. I love the first Mass Effect trilogy and judging from people's reactions after the patches, I think it's time. I am going to get the PC version of this so is there anything I should be aware of?

My specs are:
CPU: 4790K
Mem: 16gb
GPU: 1080 with a cooler

I want to play this at 4k as well. Thanks for your feedback.
Depends on CPU overclock. The game is pretty hard on CPUs, and you'll probably have to turn down shadows and a few other settings to get 30+FPS.
I just wanted to chime in here and ask a major question pertaining to this game.

Why did everyone review it so badly? I am about 20hrs or so in and I love the game! The gameplay is pretty smooth and pretty much like the older ME games. The graphics are one of the best I've seen so date (lighting and shading are top notch) on a PC @ 4k at Ultra settings. Yes, my FPS tanks below 30FPS at times, but there is really a LOT going on in the engine. This is one of Frostbites best showcases to date. I can see the crude facial animation during cut scenes.. yes, it's there but not bad enough to judge the entire game as being crappy. There are some bugs here and there with the voiceovers popping in and out but nothing game-breaking.
-Terrible title setting expectations way too high
-Terrible marketing not explaining that this was going to be a smaller scale story
-EA shoved it out the door before a ton of bug fixes were done
-Bioware's formula for starting games kinda sucks
-They glossed over too much that should be talked about directly in conversations and punted it to the codex/background conversations/late game dialogue

RDreamer

I think the funny moments early on that were fixed later lead to A LOT of hyperbole. That plus the fact that honestly the first 10 or so hours are the worst part and people somehow wanted to be as attached to these characters as they were in the original trilogy despite that having 3 games to get there lead to it.

Personally I fucking loved Andromeda. It's certainly miles better than ME1 for me.

emag

The game is chock-full of tedious filler. There's so much in the way of absolute trash quests, and even the major quests are padded with unnecessary, multi-part travel sequences (all with their own load times). The game also tacks on banal crafting with oodles of junk loot (that is slow to gather and process, due to poor UI choices).

Overall the graphics/animations, settlements, and storytelling/dialog don't compare to current-gen games like The Witcher 3. Instead they are barely a half step up from last generation. This was worse at launch.

Additionally, the plot, setting/sense of discovery, and villain are all disappointing, and even the companions aren't on par with previous games.

Top Bottom