• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptomex

Anyone know where I can find a fire rod? Maybe from those flying enemies? Need it for a quest
I got one from a fallen enemy near Gerudo Town. That wasteland somewhere. Sorry, I'm at work and don't remember exactly where. Somebody else can probably give you a better place.

Kyzon

Sooooooooooooooooooo I just broke 5 shields in a row. Here's how in the spoilers...

I completed Lomei Labyrinth Island, and then I decided to jump down the hole into what is actually a pit full of guardians. My dumb ass decided to fight every last one of them. Used up 4 fairies and 5 of my 6 shields before I snapped and started parrying their beams point blank in their faces XD

Soooo intense!! I love it!

roytheone

So, ehm, WTF??? Is this shrine even possible in handheld mode?

Found a shrine
in a cave behind a bombable wall next to a river close to the twin peaks, and it is filled with Gyro puzzles. The first 2 where i have to make a walkway are decent on handheld, if a bit finicky. But the last one, where you have to rotate a kind of puzzle cube so that you can reach a chest with a key in it, seems seriously impossible in handheld mode. In order to rotate it in a way that i can reach the chest, i would have to hold my switch UPSIDE DOWN, thus not being able to see the screen and reaching the buttons is a huge hassle. WTF?? Who designed this crap?

Am I doing something wrong or is this just some extremely bad design?

Brannon

I'm on one side of a ravine, and some enemies are on the other side, and it's about to be a thunderstorm, so I decide to balloon all of my useless Traveler's Swords over to them.

Which worked great!

Then I glided over there and climbed up the rest of the way. But by the time I got to the top, bloody Blood Moon out of nowhere and now all these new enemies are having a field day grabbing weapons almost immediately when I knock them away from their old ones. I make it, but I had to burn through a bunch of food to do so.

You (sorta) win this time Ganon...

Found a shrine
in a cave behind a bombable wall next to a river close to the twin peaks, and it is filled with Gyro puzzles. The first 2 where i have to make a walkway are decent on handheld, if a bit finicky. But the last one, where you have to rotate a kind of puzzle cube so that you can reach a chest with a key in it, seems seriously impossible in handheld mode. In order to rotate it in a way that i can reach the chest, i would have to hold my switch UPSIDE DOWN, thus not being able to see the screen and reaching the buttons is a huge hassle. WTF?? Who designed this crap?

HUGE SPOILER
It's bad design

Kinsei

Banned

Found a shrine

It's an unfortunate side effect fo this game being designed for the Wii U. I had to switch to tabletop mode in order to beat that shrine.

Edzi

Pretty easy to cheese if you use a guardian or wooden shield because it will stand still for a few secs after it hits your shield.

With a metal shield in second phase it will end badly tho.

The second phase was the easier part actually, since you can
lift those metal pegs it drops to electrocute it out of the air.

Firemind

It's actually pretty reasonable with the Switch pro controller. Another reason why you shouldn't play the Wii U version.

Found a shrine

Just take the joycon off the system?

Kinsei

Banned
The more I play the more I hte the durability system. It's clearly the reason we didn't get more enemies that don't use weapons. I miss Redeads and Skulltulas.

wow OT2 already!
man the shrine with the blue flame is defs the hardest shrine. took forever.

The one on Death Mountain? That's my favorite shrine so far.

Charamiwa

Banned
Death Mountain is definitely one the better looking area of the game (I'd say the best). Rock textures are actually good there, the lava effects are nice, and the heat waves looks really good. And it actually has a nice contrast with vibrant colors, no white haze or anything.

mStudios

"I'd easily give this game a ten. This is 10/10. Easiest 10 of all time. Drop those frames all you want. I'll eat it like soup. I want to play more of it." - Kyle Bosman on Zelda BotW

untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif

source?

Charamiwa

Banned

Found a shrine

Motion control is awful in handheld mode, however if you take out the right joycon and use it separately it works well.

13ruce

Banned
Death Mountain is definitely one the better looking area of the game (I'd say the best). Rock textures are actually good there, the lava effects are nice, and the heat waves looks really good. And it actually has a nice contrast with vibrant colors, no white haze or anything.

So the white haze is normal? I thought it was a tv problem since i just got a 4k tv. It's less noticeable in handheld mode but thats a small screen.

Luckily it's not my tv then.

Thud

The more I play the more I hte the durability system. It's clearly the reason we didn't get more enemies that don't use weapons. I miss Redeads and Skulltulas.

The one on Death Mountain? That's my favorite shrine so far.

Mine as well. Not counting shrine challenges.

Red

So I went to Hyrule castle for kicks. A few things:

Is it possible to target
drone guardians?
I have the laser deflection timing down pat, but I can't seem to lock onto these things. Very frustrating when I'm up against one on the ground and another one or two in the air.

What is the dingdingdingding sound that keeps happening? It sounds like the nearby shrine alarm, but I'm not getting any notification.

I saw a duck push a fish out of the water, and it flopped around helplessly on the shore.

roytheone

HUGE SPOILER
It's bad design

It's an unfortunate side effect fo this game being designed for the Wii U. I had to switch to tabletop mode in order to beat that shrine.

I am kinda shocked this made it past quality checks. You would think someone would say: "Hey, listen, this doesn't work in handheld mode, maybe we should fix that?"

Just take the joycon off the system?

Motion control is awful in handheld mode, however if you take out the right joycon and use it separately it works well.

That's what I ended up doing, still, it's dumb that you have to do it, everything should be solvable in handheld mode imo, you shouldn't be forced to switch to kickstand mode ever.

Jumping in real quick to ask, is there any way to tame wolves in the world, or is having a fighting companion locked to on-disc figurine DLC?

silva1991

I was expecting to be disappointed with the shrines, but I'm not. Loving them actually

Using the Sheikah sensor sure made that quest in Kakariko where you have to find the chicken a lot more bearable.

Sheikah sensor helps with that? fuck.

It took me forever to find the last chicken.

Stalwart

Jumping in real quick to ask, is there any way to tame wolves in the world, or is having a fighting companion locked to on-disc figurine DLC?

Nobody's reported on being able to tame one in here. Having a companion is likely Wolf Link only

Just beat it. Absolute masterpiece, 10/10, just wish (endgame spoilers)
that the postgame aknowleged you destroyed Ganon.

It sort of does with Symin's photos.
If Ganon was destroyed though all the monsters would be gone + guardians would be shut off

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I was expecting to be disappointed with the shrines, but I'm not. Loving them actually

I love the distilled nature of them. They really can drill down on the gimmick, and as the player I like that I'm not wasting time wandering around a bigger place wondering if I've missed a key somewhere to proceed.

Ladekabel

So, there is this shrine on twin mountains with all the balls in the holes and a sign saying "the solution to this shrine is in another shrine". Haven't found that one yet. Anyone got a tip?

And do lynels respawn? Would like to improve my Barbarian helmet.

And where do I get the hearts that don't drop from regular monsters? I need one for the champion's tunic and the soldier's armor.

13ruce

Banned
So, there is this shrine on twin mountains with all the balls in the holes and a sign saying "the solution to this shrine is in another shrine". Haven't found that one yet. Anyone got a tip?

And do lynels respawn? Would like to improve my Barbarian helmet.

And where do I get the hearts that don't drop from regular monsters? I need one for the champion's tunic and the soldier's armor.

As for your respawn question all monsters respawn in the overworld. Sometimes even harder ones if you fight them too much! (highest tier is silver i think)

KxoZz

Can someone give me a hint as to where to start looking for the green tunic? Been all around and gound no clues whatsoever.

Kinsei

Banned
Can someone give me a hint as to where to start looking for the green tunic? Been all around and gound no clues whatsoever.

It's something you earn, not something you find.

You need to complete all 120 shrines to get it.

Haha that statue in Hateno Village with the horns and wings. I guess it can be handy? He takes one heart for some extra stamina and vice versa. Anyone using this at all?

KLoWn

Does the game allow me to continue playing after I've beaten Ganon? Or is all my work undone and it goes into new game+?

Oh man if you talk to Paya when she's in the same room as Impa and you ask her where her birthmark is, Impa's all "Uhhh you better change the subject" lol. Link in this game is terrific.
When I asked Impa straight up told me it was on her left asscheek and Paya freaked out lol. She didn't say that when I first arrived at Kakariko, so maybe it's because I've done all the memories or something like that?

You talking about Link's classic green tunic from the old games? If so, I've got some bad news for you.

Not so spoiler spoilers on where to get them:
they are Amiibo exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom