• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #7- robots, robots, ROBOTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninge

Ok I hear ya. I'm gonna be away on business for the next 3 weeks or so, so the rocket car is going to be my entry. May tweak it a little, but what you see is what you are getting from me! No alt builds I promise :)

mrkgoo

Maybe it's because I'm the worst culprit (I feel bad now), but I always loved seeing the alternate builds. It's what I live for in these threads really.

It inspires me to just build and build. I don't really put much emphasis on originality as much as cool builds but I can see how people might feel that way. In that vein I can definitely hold back.

I'm not sure I'll be around at contest end date though.

Maybe it's because I'm the worst culprit (I feel bad now), but I always loved seeing the alternate builds. It's what I live for in these threads really.

It inspires me to just build and build. I don't really put much emphasis on originality as much as cool builds but I can see how people might feel that way. In that vein I can definitely hold back.

I'm not sure I'll be around at contest end date though.

You are the worst culprit, but your builds are always awesome :)

theaface

I think posting links rather than inline images is a reasonable compromise?

Why can't alternative builds be held back until the competition closes? I think the community should be doing all it can to encourage participation. People have already said that seeing others post multiple builds early actively discourages them from taking part. I guess I just don't understand what the down side to holding back sharing builds that aren't going to be your official submission anyway?

AMUSIX

As someone who is entering for the first time, I would say that early/alternate posting sort of sucks. I've had the set for a few days, been messing with it, and came up with a build similar to something that has been shown already. I was happy with the direction I was headed in, but now feel like if I posted it, it'd come off looking like a copy. So, do I scrap what I was enjoying? Do I post anyway, knowing it'll be a 'been there/done that' reception? Or do I just say 'fuck it' and not even bother with the contest?

I think it's fine to just post links to your images instead of pictures. Helps fuel the discussion and people who aren't bothered by it can still look at all the entries. and if you don't want to see them before you post your entry you can just not click on the links.

mrkgoo

As someone who is entering for the first time, I would say that early/alternate posting sort of sucks. I've had the set for a few days, been messing with it, and came up with a build similar to something that has been shown already. I was happy with the direction I was headed in, but now feel like if I posted it, it'd come off looking like a copy. So, do I scrap what I was enjoying? Do I post anyway, knowing it'll be a 'been there/done that' reception? Or do I just say 'fuck it' and not even bother with the contest?

You post it. It's rare that you get a "been there/done that" reception, even with similar builds. I encourage many, and all builds.

I encourage people to post their WIP stuff in the thread. Just links though so if people dont want to click it they dont have to. If no one posts stuff until they get their finalized versions at the end the thread will die and there will be no discussion and new people wont see it. I dont think thats very fun.

No one has ever put down other people's work in past threads, and lots of things end up looking similar because we're using the same parts and people will be inspired by similar things. If 10 people make a car with the same 200 pieces, a few will end up having similar designs.

I've posted MOCs in past contests that I thought were bad and really rushed, but I did it just to participate, and some people even voted for them.

Since amazon hasn't even shipped mine yet, i'm gonna end up rushing again this time.

Crispy75

The point is kind of moot anywhay cos this set is so BASTARD HARD, I haven't built anything else. I get the pieces out at the end of the day and stare at them. They stare back.

AMUSIX

I get the pieces out at the end of the day and stare at them. They stare back.

I don't want to alarm you, but I believe your LEGO may be possessed. You're going to need to get the following things together: an old builder, a young builder, a copy of The Brick Testament, and a blessed brick separator.

Good luck.

theaface

The point is kind of moot anywhay cos this set is so BASTARD HARD, I haven't built anything else. I get the pieces out at the end of the day and stare at them. They stare back.

This I can agree on. I spent a good hour yesterday just shuffling through the pieces, putting two or three together and coming up with precisely sod all. Really really tough set, this one.

dukeoflegs

I think I will try this out. I wanted to jump into the last challenge but didn't see it until the last minute (a lot of great creations by the way).
I just got laid off so if I don't enter it will be nice to do something that will take my mind off of apply for jobs. Also it will get me out of the house since I'll go to the lego store down the road.

Damn this was difficult. Posting my entry early because I won't have a lot of time over the next two or so weeks.

Gatling Gun!

Looks ugly but please bear with me, I was able to add in a play feature!

otT1U0v.jpg

VEJ084s.jpg

Ku1mINz.jpg

Rotating barrel, automatic loading of the ammo belt and (incorrectly located) firing flash!

Left over Parts - http://i.imgur.com/UYQCoh8.jpg

Crispy75

I actually managed to build something last night. Doesn't photograph well from all angles though, so I will document its disassembly and only return to it if I can do no better.

Gotta say well done for making a model with moving parts :)

mrkgoo

After half a dozen models, I think I'm nearing a few I'd like to submit. Instead of re-editing my original post, I thought it better to just remove the images and leave links in that one (otherwise the replies may not make sense).

Of course, I may still change, I do like some of the others I've made. This is a contender though, so hopefully I don't put people off if this doesn't turn out to be the one.

But for now:

Attack bomber

Rear view

While I actually like that model quite a bit on its own, I made it so it can transform!

Sentient AI

I didn't stop there though...I also wanted to make it transform into a third mode, so it's a Triple-changer!

Strike Trike

Leftovers

One of the biggest challenges is the odd number of a lot of the pieces. Like only only 1x6 grey plate. OR those telephone-like bow pieces has three and they are all different colours. One of those triangular 4x4 plates and so on.

edit: Changing my entry, editing images into links.

mrkgoo

Running out of time, and I decided I'd go back to an earlier model I did.

It is less gimmicky, and just a model I'm proud of.

Grasshopper:

Rear view:

Leftovers:

Bonus pic:
An early attempt at the idea. You can see my thought process, and what I decided to keep/change.
PrototypeIMG_3960

Here is my entry.

Workshop Tools
XJON8pz.jpg

Miter Saw
pDspqtG.jpg

Tool Box with Saw, Hammer, Level, Screwdriver, and a gear
URlw9vL.jpg

Leftover Parts
u11Ce0U.jpg

Great entries so far and looking forward to seeing everyone else's creations!

Kleevah

Don't have much time to play around with it the next couple of days, so I'm just posting mine now. Funny thing this was one of the first designs I came up with, and all my following tries ended up utter shit in comparison. Really must echo what the other guys here said about it being a really tricky one, but I'm quite pleased with this one at least.

Jet Fighter:

wSwFEXI.jpg
pQswnAB.jpg

Perspective:
HzsDWhR.jpg
rTzxURU.jpg

PBoyDeZ.jpg

n85vMEK.jpg
zjNpkT1.jpg

And extra bonus, action feature:
DBY2BEN.gif

Leftover:
AMyrJIo.jpg

Album is here: https://imgur.com/a/Kyl3V

Crispy75

Nice switch action

I found that face in the ball joint too, and spent ages trying to make little people out of them :D

An hour left and only 6 entries, which is way lower than the last contest which had 25. Maybe the deadline should be extended a week to let some more people get stuff in.

ninge

If this is extended until Friday I will have an entry, but I'm still travelling for work until then :(

I think the combination of this set having a low ratio of 'standard' bricks and the thread not getting bumped all the time with interesting pictures of people's WIP creations really killed this one...

Blizzard

Banned
An hour left and only 6 entries, which is way lower than the last contest which had 25. Maybe the deadline should be extended a week to let some more people get stuff in.
I forgot to even open the box -- I blame myself unsubscribing to avoid seeing pictures of other people's creations, and then not realizing the deadline was happening. A couple of days ago when I remembered I realized the deadline was already past. :p

But really, it's my fault for not setting a calendar reminder.

If it's extended to this Friday, I can submit an entry.

Blizzard

Banned
Hard mode activate: 1.5 hours to build after opening the box for the first time. 100% pieces used.

assembly_linenqupn.png

If you use your imagination, it's intended to be an assembly line. :p

*edit* I found a 1-pip piece on the floor today! :( I already moved everything around but here is a picture of just the claw with the final piece added to truly make 100%.
assembly_line_last_piwppmv.png

Oh it was extended? I've been so busy I didn't even open it yet; figured I'd just missed it. Uhhh...maybe I can fiddle with it for an hour later today.

ninge

My entry:
3B2Us3W.jpg

bCvAy2I.jpg

aX9EM7d.jpg

Spares:
09WSXqq.jpg

Bonus flight stand:
sBmQmlm.jpg

These pics are from a few weeks ago. I made an updated version today that fixed the frontend, added a spoiler and added the light brick with a push gimick for batmobile style flames ettects, but its too late here now to take good pics and comic relief is on the telly box. So I just have a potato phone pic of the light effect :) This pic is not part of my entry!

V3KB7Jt.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Tragedy struck! I found a 1-pip piece on the floor today and realized I hadn't truly used 100% of the pieces. I added a picture of just one of the sections, now with the final piece added on top.

assembly_line_last_piwppmv.png

crap, I completely forgot about doing the voting thread. I'm so sorry. I'll have it up in a couple hours. I was in zelda land for the last few weeks....

Thanks for all the work you put into this, Chezzy!

Seems like there were fewer entries than usual this time. I wonder if we should have a period to acquire the set by and then a month from that? It took half the contest time for me to get the set delivered (typical amazon prime shipping to hawaii, take a week and a half to process it and then overnight it via UPS), and then it caught me when I had to do some emergency repairs around the house and I had no desire to touch LEGO (my fingers are cut up and swollen from pipe work).

Bummed I didn't get to participate. I'll definitely go through the thread and vote though!

iosefe

i still have the pieces placed in a tupperware container. just couldn't find the time or idea

as far as future suggeststions, the 4 colored boxes would be a perfect breeding ground for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom