• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age difference and you (well, me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

She's above the age of consent. If you feel she's immature and that's what makes you uncomfortable about the relationship, that's something to seriously consider. If it's just the age gap by itself, you shouldn't worry too much about it, much less ask GAF what to do. (To which the correct response will always be, "Feed it pizza.")

Amagon

YbrdV.jpg

bengraven

Truant: I was in the same situation.

Twenty-seven and started hooking up with a 20 year old college girl. It helped that she was more mature for her age thanks to a dark childhood and I am really immature for my age thanks to a dark childhood.

We ended up married with children and our fifth anniversary (of meeting each other) was on V-day. So five years isn't bad.

Maybe its different for straight people since its easier to find potential mates than it is for gay people, but I wouldn't want to deal with a bf that young. Finding a guy to date pretty much means online or referral from a friend, but when you hit 21 you have a whole new arena to enter - the bar. Couple that with legally able to buy and drink alcohol, urge to experiment sexually and you have a person not ideally suited for long term relationship. I've seen it so many times and so many guys go through the slut phase. Its all part of growing up.

And I wouldn't expect her to be the same person in 2 years. She is at that age where people typically adopt the identity they want to stick with for their adult years.

Is it creepy? No, not really. Do I think you'll find true love and be together for the long term? Not from my experience.

ChuyMasta

I do have an age difference with my fiance that does not sit well with my immediate family. But i reached a point where i dont care what even my folks think (let alone friends) when it comes to my personal life. Gatherings have interesting dynamics, and my fiance is completely aware of the situation. In fact sometimes i think she is more insecure than i am.

What bothered me before was how i was justifying my doubts about previous relationships so i would find any excuse to end it.
Ohh she has kids, dump her!
Ohh she is not a us citizen, so she will use me to gain citizenchip, dump her!
Ohh, she doesnt have a college degree, dump her!
She is not hot enough, what will my friends think? That i am not good enough to keep a hot girl around?

Now i just ask myself this question: am i happy? If the answer is yes, i go for it and do everything i can to keep that happiness.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Obviously age gaps get less weird the older you get, but do you guys think there's a gap that's always too much?

Example: My mom and step-dad are 18 years apart. That means when she was coming out of my grandmom's vagina, he was in Vietnam fighting a war. I don't think I could ever get past that personally.

Fou-Lu

My brother's girlfriend was 18 when he met her and he was 25. They're getting ready to get married now nearly six years later. It was the other way around with my mom and dad, my dad was 17 when they met, my mom 25, they got married four years later and are still happy together.

Haha I can't even imagine a dude who would be offended by a friend hooking up with a 19-year-old.

Obviously age gaps get less weird the older you get, but do you guys think there's a gap that's always too much?

Example: My mom and step-dad are 18 years apart. That means when she was coming out of my grandmom's vagina, he was in Vietnam fighting a war. I don't think I could ever get past that personally.

I think once someone is well out of their confusing teenage years (early to mid 20s), it's believable they could make a real, adult connection with anyone.

Karak

I'm currently seeing a girl that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young for me. I'm 26, she's barely 19. Is this wrong? I mean, it makes me feel weird. I don't want to be one of those guys. I guess I am, though.

The worst thing is the whole "Man, this immature guy can't get girls his own age because he's a creep"-thing, which is not true at all. I think that way when I see guys with young girlfriends. I usually date women my own age, but this one is special. She is incredibly beautiful, super funny, smart, decent knees. Everything you'd want. Except she's a teenager. I'm embarrased to tell my friends her real age. So far I've just sort of jumped around the subject, hinting at 21-22 - which is also too young, to be honest.

I've been with women older than 30 as well, and that also felt wrong. Actually, that's a bit comforting in a way. Anyway, I'm tipsy and I probably shouldn't have made this thread. Also, pedogaf needs to stay away from this thread. Or wait, maybe that's me. I'm doomed.

Hmmm. I have had an even larger disparity in age than that. I really don't let others impact my own happiness. If I am enjoying myself and so is she I personally just mute out if anyone said anything. In fact I never remember if anyone ever mentioned it or said anything during the times it was occurring.
The people I hang with and surround myself with are far more into having a good life than worrying about those that are unhappy and try offloading their own emotional issues onto others.

Or as the saying goes, "There are really issues in the world. I don't have time for the purely cosmetic ones."

Facism

I'm currently seeing a girl that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young for me. I'm 26, she's barely 19. Is this wrong? I mean, it makes me feel weird. I don't want to be one of those guys. I guess I am, though.

The worst thing is the whole "Man, this immature guy can't get girls his own age because he's a creep"-thing, which is not true at all. I think that way when I see guys with young girlfriends. I usually date women my own age, but this one is special. She is incredibly beautiful, super funny, smart, decent knees. Everything you'd want. Except she's a teenager. I'm embarrased to tell my friends her real age. So far I've just sort of jumped around the subject, hinting at 21-22 - which is also too young, to be honest.

I've been with women older than 30 as well, and that also felt wrong. Actually, that's a bit comforting in a way. Anyway, I'm tipsy and I probably shouldn't have made this thread. Also, pedogaf needs to stay away from this thread. Or wait, maybe that's me. I'm doomed.

there's an 8 year gap between my parents. I wouldn't worry about what other dickheads think. If she's a decent girl and you like her what's the big whoop, not as if she's 15 years old.

Mahonay

Banned
Close enough. I was with a lady friend when I was 19 that was more than 10 years my senior. Whatevs, as long as both parties involved are mature enough. Don't worry about it.

I'm currently seeing a girl that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young for me. I'm 26, she's barely 19. Is this wrong?

No. You're both adults. Keep in mind that she's young (as in, don't expect her to act any older than she is, she's likely to do some really dumb shit, then again who isn't), but you're not doing anything wrong.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?

That's fantastic! 'tis a hard thing to come by let me tell you. Seen plenty of sharp knees in my day.

For me, the reason why age difference can be creepy is because depending on the size of the difference the question of how you two met becomes more significant than it otherwise would be. I mean, generally speaking, people in their 30's aren't regularly hanging out with people in their teens.

I've discussed this topic with my mom a couple of times and her only advice to me is to avoid marrying a woman older than me because "men age more gracefully than women."

scy

My parents were about 8 years apart so I don't really think much of a similar age gap, I guess.

MIKEAL

Banned
I dated an 18 year old over the summer (i was 21 at the time) and it got weird. Her opinions on many things were either very ignorant or nonexistent. She was beautiful, but it was very difficult for me to hold a conversation with her that interested the both of us. I'll admit however, that i did attempt to 'dumb' it down for a good week for no reason other than the prospect of making sweet, sweet love. Its difficult dating someone still in their teens because they have such little experience in the real world, that really unless its booze or music, there is nothing to talk about.

Kisaya

It's not creepy at all, it's not even that big of a gap ;P Maturity really is in the mind and not the age. What matters most is that you both love each other and that you're happy, so don't worry about what other people may think.

It's not creepy at all, it's not even that big of a gap ;P Maturity really is in the mind and not the age. What matters most is that you both love each other and that you're happy, so don't worry about what other people may think.

Allow me to play devil's advocate: "What if she's a really mature 14?"

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Age gap is one thing, culture another. Sure I think it's weird if age differences exceed 4 years, but that's me. If you date someone from another generation and mindset, it's going to be weird.

A co-worker of mine was dating a girl 16 years younger than him. They had nothing in common besides attraction to one another. He would bring up bands he liked, she had no clue who they were and vice-versa. She had her teenage/early twenty problems, he was nearing midlife crisis mode. There are plenty of gaps that just can't be jumped comfortably.

But to each their own. If you want to date a girl who's been legal to you for less than two years and can't even drink go for it.

At least its not as fucked up as our local 711 owner (40 something) dating an 18 year old....18 year olds just look like children to me and girls who graduate or are in the later college years are much more interesting because they have had a chance to grow up
That there dude is living the dream. Business owner and boning hot, young, tight snatch. Good bless him.

On topic, your age difference is nothing. I'm older than my girl by 6 years. Meet her in her late teens. It's all good dude. Enjoy life's gift to you.

Riggs

Banned
Allow me to play devil's advocate: "What if she's a really mature 14?"

"India's age of consent for heterosexual sex is 16 except in Manipur, where it is 14. If the partners are married then a lower age of consent applies (13 in Manipur and 15 elsewhere). A law banning "carnal intercourse against the order of nature" was overruled in a Delhi High Court ruling, meaning that consensual homosexual activities between adults are now legal. A full copy of the descision can be found on the Naz Foundation"

Sorry googled age of consent 14 , this is what I got. Looks like you got to move to Manipur.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think 19 and 26 is inappropriate at all. It's definitely not inappropriate in a creepy way... I just worry about having things in common, because 19 year old girls are often dumb :p

bryehn

I was 25 when I met my girlfriend who was 18. We've been together for almost 10 years and are about to have a child together. We've always shared similar tastes in music, movies, tv, games etc and make each other laugh. It can totally work, don't get hung up on age. Unless she's just a typical 19-year-old idiot ;)

low-G

I think 21 is one of those age barriers that's tricky to cross on either way.

Age isn't that important but you're talking about the legality of getting her boozed up so you can take advantage of her teenage body.

A.Romero

I'm 28, my GF is 23.

I usually date older women though, gotta love the MILFs...

My record is about 20 years above me, great sex.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Last Christmas I had a fun ONS with a friend of a friend. She was 18 and if she lived her life again she'd have reached my age.
Realising that I was like
g6Mlb.png

But then I was like
AjZdS.gif

Glad it was just for fun though, young girls are cray.

Maybe you need to make sure that your definition of 'mature' is correct before you even consider the possibility of a 14 year old being mature.

And 19 - 26 is fine!

Just probing GAF's standards. Don't mind me.

Just curious to see how the "age ain't no thang" position can go before it totally retreats upon itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom