• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Do you have to start from the very beginning of Grand Prix if you die? I hate that I have to do it to unlock ranked. I just wanna play online. :/

Nonetheless, really hyped! Only 90 more minutes until the eShop launch!

LegendX48

Do you have to start from the very beginning of Grand Prix if you die? I hate that I have to do it to unlock ranked. I just wanna play online. :/

Nonetheless, really hyped! Only 90 more minutes until the eShop launch!

don't think so. Watching a lets play and they just hit rematch when they lose

Speely

Banned
I am a horrible person. I am going digital on this because it's a small file and I am ordering extra joy cons that won't be here till next week, so I am going to get SO much better than my roommates before they arrive and I reveal that we can play local mp.

I am already way better than them because I own the only Switch in the house, and I refuse to commit the single joy con control method to muscle memory. NOPE.

That whole buy it from Japan idea was a mistake. I bought it a little before 5pm eastern.
It's almost 11pm and I still don't have it. Wtf amazon Japan.

Soi-Fong

That whole buy it from Japan idea was a mistake. I bought it a little before 5pm eastern.
It's almost 11pm and I still don't have it. Wtf amazon Japan.

Did the same. Might not be able to play till tomorrow. On the plus side, the digital version was cheaper than here in the US.

Passose

Banned
no joke, my left hand is injured also, I know it was because I was too close to the moniter, but...............
Edit:btw, Ribbon Girl is my main

I don't know what to do first when I start the game.

On the one hand I want to practice a bit and try out the characters that weren't in the testpunch.
On the other, I just want to play with gaf and learn later 🙃

Edit: I didn't even think about what arms will be available from the start....

Soi-Fong

Well if it goes through next time you want a game from Amazon JP it will be instant.

This was the odd thing for me. I already bought two previous Nintendo cards from Amazon JP back in April. I don't remember the pending verification taking this long, but whatever..

molnizzle

How do you aim your ultimate punches at a dashing target?

I just fought a bunch of rounds with a guy who dodged every single time I popped it. I was careful to only pop it when he was in air or had a punch out too. No matter what, he just repeatedly dodged to the left and never got it. I tried the same against him and got nailed every time. WTF?

Effect

Looks like I'm going to be playing this for the first time tomorrow in portable mode. Will be out tomorrow but will be getting my mail first.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
How do you aim your ultimate punches at a dashing target?

I just fought a bunch of rounds with a guy who dodged every single time I popped it. I was careful to only pop it when he was in air or had a punch out too. No matter what, he just repeatedly dodged to the left and never got it. I tried the same against him and got nailed every time. WTF?
Fake it out(throw/punch and before it hits the enemy use rush which instantly cancels the throw/punches leaving him open) or use it when he/she is out of position to punish.

molnizzle

Fake it out(throw/punch and before it hits the enemy use rush which instantly cancels the throw/punches leaving him open) or use it when he/she is out of position to punish.

Right but how could the other guy just dodge in a single direction and avoid every hit but could nail me with his when I did the same? I was mashing dash like a motherfucker, it's not that I wasn't fast enough. What was he doing differently, some advanced movement technique? Wave dash? lol

Ashodin

Right but how could the other guy just dodge in a single direction and avoid every hit but could nail me with his when I did the same? I was mashing dash like a motherfucker, it's not that I wasn't fast enough. What was he doing differently, some advanced movement technique?

Seems a lot of the game is based around timing. He was getting his times right.

Holy shit Nintendo actually put this up on the eshop at midnight? I'm impressed. Hope this is the norm for all future Switch releases.

1. It's not up yet. It's up at 12 AM on the 16th in the US.
2. They always put their games up for release at midnight. Starting from the 3DS and the entirety of the life of the Wii U

Can't wait to play this tomorrow! Shipped yesterday from Amazon and is currently on the way, hope the people who have it now are having fun!

Crazyorloco

On Tuesday my switch decides to not turn on anymore- I shipped it to nintendo right away and it should be coming any day now... hopefully tomorrow so I can play this game!

molnizzle

Isn't there one?

Not really. There are a series of training scenarios that you can practice against AI (dodging, countering, etc.) but no normal training mode that you'd expect from a fighting game. I can't set an AI dummy to just repeatedly throw out a certain move and practice reacting to it.

Seems like having to beat a single player mode to play ranked was a shitty decision.

It's definitely frustrating. It has the side effect of making sure everybody playing ranked is at least competent... which is also frustrating. There's no difficulty ramp up here. No training wheels. It's sweaty from the start.

Anyone down for a party match in 29 minutes?

Not really. There are a series of training scenarios that you can practice against AI (dodging, countering, etc.) but no normal training mode that you'd expect from a fighting game. I can't set an AI dummy to just repeatedly throw out a certain move and practice reacting to it.

Versus mode. 1v1. Infinite time, infinite health, infinite rush. You can tell the AI to do just about anything. You're welcome.

Top Bottom