• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Dragon Shields are great, especially the mattes ones. But they can get damaged from shuffling too over a while. Most annoying thing is that the QC wasn't that great so buying different packs could result in different length of sleeves. No idea if they fixed that already.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I make my own sleeves using rendered animal fat

#biodegradable

Are all of the KMC sleeves rubbish now, or are the perfect size (clear inner sleeves for double-sleeving) still decent quality? I never really used their normal sleeves, but I always liked the fitted ones.

hermit7

Are all of the KMC sleeves rubbish now, or are the perfect size (clear inner sleeves for double-sleeving) still decent quality? I never really used their normal sleeves, but I always liked the fitted ones.

Perfect fits are fine, but I have transitioned to the dragon shield inners because they work better with the mattes that I use for my edh decks.

I haven't switched to eclipse because I dislike that they come in 80 count. If they had a 100 count for EDH I would pick a pack up and try them out but I don't want to have to get 2 packs to sleeve up a deck.

I don't play much 60 card format, and if I draft I just get pro mattes because they are cheap.

Guessing everyone forgot to check the Mothership because it's Memorial Day.

Commander Anthology details. Decks are:
* "Heavenly Inferno," starring Kaalia of the Vast (Commander)
* "Evasive Maneuvers," starring Derevi, Empyrial Tactician (Commander 2013 Edition)
* "Guided by Nature," starring Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury (Commander 2014 Edition)
* "Plunder the Graves," starring Meren of Clan Nel Toth (Commander 2015 Edition)

Odds & Ends Amonkhet Part 2
* They were on autopilot including Evolving Wilds, and didn't even think to make a variation that was a Desert.
* Hapatra originally looked like this:
Cleopatra
2BG
Creature – Pharoah
3/5
Wither
Whenever a creature with wither deals combat damage to another player, put a 1/1 green Snake token onto the battlefield.
* Three repeated mechanics they tried were wither, exalted, and unearth.
* There were originally more Curse cards.
* As I mentioned a while ago, there was originally a mechanic called hieroglyphics that was basically cycling from your graveyard.
* Ruthless was a mechanic to put -1/-1 counters on your own creatures to boost a spell. It evolved into the creatures that put counters on a creature you control.
* Plot was a mechanic similar to suspend.
* They experimented with "double cycling" where you discarded that card and another to draw two cards.
* Commit // Memory is in a fuzzy space for allowing blue to "permanently" remove a permanent, even if it's two effects blue is allowed to use. MaRo allows it because it feels like two cards.

Santiako

Yeah, I checked earlier but there was nothing new there. The commander deck were already known and the odd and ends was not very interesting :p

Yeah, I checked earlier but there was nothing new there. The commander deck were already known and the odd and ends was not very interesting :p

Oh, did we already know the decks included?

Could be interesting or really disappointing.
tinyhideoutbouquet-universe asked: Is there much color pie slice left for modern-day red outside of combat and dealing damage?

Yes, plenty. See next week’s column for more on that.

Bandini

XhXcgGq.jpg

feels good, man

really happy I traded out of storm, was so sick of that stupid not fun deck

XhXcgGq.jpg

feels good, man

really happy I traded out of storm, was so sick of that stupid not fun deck

I assume this is the BW Eldrazi list?

The only way Blessed Alliance could be more of a "Fuck you" to Death's Shadow would be if Mode 3 was "Target Creature gains Lifelink until end of turn" instead of "Untap 2 dudes"

traveler

Not Wario
At least DS doesn't have to deal with white removal from Legacy- stp would be so brutal.

Slept past my alarm this morning and missed the ptq finals. Token consumed too. Lesson learned; don't enter the event until awake and at the computer for it. :(

Bandini

I assume this is the BW Eldrazi list?

The only way Blessed Alliance could be more of a "Fuck you" to Death's Shadow would be if Mode 3 was "Target Creature gains Lifelink until end of turn" instead of "Untap 2 dudes"

Yep, trying it out with a couple small changes. I played the version with Thalia, Aether Vial, and Leonin Arbiter for a while, I liked it a lot but the hands without Vial were pretty bad. This seems a lot more consistent.

At least DS doesn't have to deal with white removal from Legacy- stp would be so brutal.

Slept past my alarm this morning and missed the ptq finals. Token consumed too. Lesson learned; don't enter the event until awake and at the computer for it. :(
No joke, STP would be amazing vs DS. I don't want it in Modern, but damn if it's not the biggest screw you.

traveler

Not Wario
Since this is the end of the Kyoto PTQ season and I'm sort of burnt out on just trying to spike every possible qualifier, trying to brew up something new for a change to tackle Marvel.

This is where I'm at:

Mardu Reanimator

1 Demon of Dark Schemes
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
1 Linvala, the Preserver
1 Noxious Gearhulk
2 Void Winnower

3 Cast Out

2 Anguished Unmaking
3 Fatal Push
3 Harnessed Lightning
1 Magma Spray

4 Aether Hub
2 Canyon Slough
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Inspiring Vantage
3 Mountain
1 Shambling Vent
4 Swamp

3 Liliana, Death's Majesty
3 Nahiri, the Harbinger

2 Cathartic Reunion
1 Ever After
1 Painful Truths
2 Sweltering Suns
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Transgress the Mind

----

No sb yet. Deck can both strip Marvel out of opponents hand maindeck as well as exile it and Ulamog with any number of cards (Cast Out, Anguished Unmaking, Nahiri) which are all good in their own right. Void Winnower wins the game on the spot and is a much better reanimation target than Ulamog, at least against Marvel, as you effectively lock them out of doing anything besides Whirler Virtuoso. (Whose thopter tokens can't even block) Plays like a fairly controlling Mardu deck for a good chunk of the game, then recurs threats (and spells via GDD) to gain value late game. GDD has felt very good here, so I've upped his count from 1 to 2 and then from 2 to 3 in testing. Being able to flash back sweltering suns, live, and punish opposing pws defended by a reduced/empty board with menace is very strong; a natural predator to Gideon. Still needs some tuning, so feedback welcome.

Ideas for sideboard right now:

Collective Brutality- Bring in against control matchup. Check to see if coast is clear and/or kill a dragonmaster. Also serves as a discard outlet if willing to risk it.
Nahiri's Wrath- For Mardu post board. Zap a host of pws and/or creatures while dumping reanimate fodder.
Magma Spray/Suns/Flames- Zombies help
Painful Truths- Probably want to replace some number of the rummage spells against control as discarding into a counter is a blowout.

OnPoint

I believe Seth if he says he doesn't spec on his own decks. But I don't know I'd even care if he did. I would expect any deck builder who's ahead of the curve to buy a few extra copies if they know they're onto something really big. The only difference is he's a "personality" people care about.

DrArchon

Checked the most recent MTGO standard league decks on TCGPlayer, and I'm seeing a pretty significant spike in the number of RG Energy decks. As in "there were none before, and now there are some". Looks like they're all Electrostatic Pummeler decks, which is weird, because I was under the impression that outside of holding a Blossoming Defense in your hand at all times, it was a super fragile deck.

Still nothing compared to the number of Marvel decks, but hey, gives me some hope when I bite the bullet and make my RG Energy deck.

MoxManiac

So it looks like the commanders of the four decks in commander anthology are going to be foil..this was enough to almost sell out the anthology on tcgplayer and raise the price..damn!

I want a foil Meren!

So it looks like the commanders of the four decks in commander anthology are going to be foil..this was enough to almost sell out the anthology on tcgplayer and raise the price..damn!

I want a foil Meren!

It will still be much cheaper to buy the commanders as singles unless things get really weird.

So what's the deal with the Disallow/Void Shatter split? Do you want Void Shatter over Disallow's versatility sometimes?
In 90% of cases disallow is straight up cancel but these 10 percent are countering planeswalker ultimates or Ulamog cast triggers and such. Otoh there's scrapheap scrounger, relentless dead, any spell in the UR mirror, liliana regrowth, aftermath cards,... where it's handy to have some form of exile.

Last showdown my opponent had a chandra on 7 ultimated her, disallowed, played another chandra, negate. I was outta that game had he plusd just once more.

Firemind

but scrounger and relentless dead already die to magma spray

i guess because of gearhulk it may pay off to have one-offs in your deck. i just don't know against what

Ashodin

i guess because of gearhulk it may pay off to have one-offs in your deck. i just don't know against what

at the point tbh I feel like it's a stylistic choice. Would be funny to counter the initial Marvel spin though (assuming they couldn't get the mana up for the initial cast or didn't have the card).

there's just 4 magma sprays in your deck, if not less. There's a considerable amount of decks that see the graveyard as a resource and any recursive threats fuck up UR big time.

The opportunity cost of including void shatter over 1 disallow is very small andthe upsides considerable.

traveler

Not Wario
It's also largely what vogel said before- realistically, disallow is cancel most of the time. The deck's ability to dig, gearhulk's recursive abilities, and the pilot's knowledge of the matchup will usually ensure disallow is available when needed, so having that 1 copy of shatter to knock out an opposing glimmer/scrounger/relentless dead for good on the initial cast is worth it.

traveler

Not Wario
Been tuning the mardu reanimator list over the past day and I would say it's now favored against every deck outside of UR control, where it's notably weak. I've moved sin prodders into the sb to try to address this; we'll see how it goes.

This version is 4-0 in competitive standard, with the games going 9-0 including the first game in this fifth match. This feels wrong, but I kind of want to concede this last game so the list doesn't show up in the 5-0 results. It's still has incredible surprise factor and I kind of want to take it to the standard pptq in Vegas. The pause when you maindeck dispossess marvel in game 1 is still pretty amusing every time it happens. (With 3 cathartic reunions, 4 tormenting voice, and 3 nahiri, you can both cycle through the deck to find specific bullets easily and throw away the ones you don't need)

Ashodin

Been tuning the mardu reanimator list over the past day and I would say it's now favored against every deck outside of UR control, where it's notably weak. I've moved sin prodders into the sb to try to address this; we'll see how it goes.

This version is 4-0 in competitive standard, with the games going 9-0 including the first game in this fifth match. This feels wrong, but I kind of want to concede this last game so the list doesn't show up in the 5-0 results. It's still has incredible surprise factor and I kind of want to take it to the standard pptq in Vegas. The pause when you maindeck dispossess marvel in game 1 is still pretty amusing every time it happens. (With 3 cathartic reunions, 4 tormenting voice, and 3 nahiri, you can both cycle through the deck to find specific bullets easily and throw away the ones you don't need)

gimme the list, sounds awesome af

traveler

Not Wario
Won 10 games straight. It's going to be posted now.

gimme the list, sounds awesome af

3x Canyon Slough
4x Concealed Courtyard
1x Foreboding Ruins
4x Inspiring Vantage
5x Mountain
1x Shambling Vent
1x Plains
4x Swamp

2x Fatal Push
2x Transgress the Mind
3x Cathartic Reunion
4x Tormenting Voice
1x Declaration in stone
1x Dispossess
1x Painful Truths
2x Sweltering Suns
1x Anguished Unmaking
2x Never // Return
1x Heaven // Earth (Yes, there's no way to actually cast Heaven. No, it doesn't matter. Getting a free sweeper off a rummage is great)

3x Cast out

3x Nahiri, the Harbinger
3x Liliana, Death's Majesty

3x Goblin Dark-dwellers
1x Archfiend of Ifnir
1x Linvala, the Preserver
1x Noxious Gearhulk
2x Void Winnower

SB

1x Fumigate
1x Nahiri's Wrath
1x Sweltering Suns
1x Transgress the Mind
2x Dispossess
3x Painful Truths
2x Magma Spray
1x Never // Return
3x Sin Prodder

Spicy list! What are your thoughts on the arch fiend? Is it just bananas with cathartic reunion? Seems like some sweet sweet tech going on. I imagine UR is miserable unless you stick a Walker and pray for a transgress.

My local meta is nothing but control at this point. I'd be so afraid and miserable running this.

kirblar

Spicy list! What are your thoughts on the arch fiend? Is it just bananas with cathartic reunion? Seems like some sweet sweet tech going on. I imagine UR is miserable unless you stick a Walker and pray for a transgress.
Getting a Void Winnower in play should win that matchup on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom