• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Fine Upstanding NFL Fans Give Up Their Passion. With Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an ongoing thread on this topic, we don't need new ones for the reactions of racists: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437201

This needs a dedicated thread. It's the best thread of the week and it's only Tuesday.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt had an episode in the most recent season where one of the characters realized the NFL could make even more money if everyone hated the teams. Piss off more people -> more merchandise to immediately destroy is sold.

Fuck. This is basically happening in real life.

Beartruck

This feels like the sports version of the dudes who tried to boycott Call of Duty only for 2/3 of them to buy it anyway.

They have every right to boycott football (whether you agree with them or not) just like the players have the right to kneel, stand, lock arms, and stay in the tunnel during the national anthem (whether you agree with them or not). I boycotted football a long time ago because the owners are greedy d-bags and Goodell is a fucking turd. (RIP STL, SD, and Oakland :-().

I'm honestly confused as fuck. They are kneeling during the anthem to protest police brutality? What does the Anthem have to do with police? I have no problem with them kneeling. I think hardcore patriotism is ridiculous, especially at a fucking football game, or any sport in general.

Shadybiz

Talk about snowflakes...these jackasses are burning stuff that they spent hundreds if not thousands on. ....And they'll be purchasing the same shit again next year when they forget about this.

RDreamer

What's funny to me is that the escalation of all this really highlights how the NFL has become such a weird channel for nationalism.

It's not weird at all when you think of it from a marketing standpoint. The demographics of who the US might want to recruit and who the NFL targets are fairly similar. On top of that they know it's a place young kids watch and get their role models. Dept. of Defense figured this out and paid the NFL to make things even more patriotic. What you get is young kids seeing that shit on the TV every day. They see their current sports role models looking up to the military and they think "Hey, I can be one of those people that Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady (or whoever) really looks up to. I can be their hero."

On top of that it's a bit of lifestyle marketing. It gives the older vets and people who've already invested into that worldview comfort and piece of mind that the military is great.

It's genius marketing for recruitment and probably well worth every fucking dime the DOD paid in for it and then some.

I'm honestly confused as fuck. They are kneeling during the anthem to protest police brutality? What does the Anthem have to do with police? I have no problem with them kneeling. I think hardcore patriotism is ridiculous, especially at a fucking football game, or any sport in general.

Well, follow what I just said up there. The Dept. of Defense and the NFL are using these stars as pawns to recruit young Americans join up. Black role models are being used to entice younger black Americans into joining the military and going off to fight in wars for a country that still doesn't treat them as equals.

In a broader sense, though, they're kneeling during the anthem as a way of mourning that the ideals of the country and that flag don't yet fully apply to our fellow black citizens. It's not just police brutality, it's our society as a whole that still oppresses people of color.

Yeah, we had Colts fans who burned jerseys, and one dude who burned his season tickets.

(But, as Walter White pointed out, you can still sell your season tickets electronically via NFL Ticket Exchange or just download them :lol)

Kickz

How DARE those millionaires protest police brutality against minorities. AHEM, I mean disrespect our flag.
https://twitter.com/abc/status/912710883087810560

Die hard 'Skins' fan and Trumpster
https://youtu.be/-AbZrMQjGrE

Raiders fan gives his flag to his cats
https://youtu.be/xqUQSSqDUfQ

Patriots fan is mad at those "Black Power"! Gestures. Burns hats
https://youtu.be/1ymxP29R4bI

She's so precious
https://youtu.be/LQvHfGPWF5M

#NFLBurnNotice is also an entertaining hashtag!

MUH FUTBAAWWWLLLL

Flo_Evans

What a bunch of babies.

Besides the civil war have american troops ever actually fought for "our freedom"? maybe WW1/2? Every "war" in my lifetime has been about spreading capitalism and US influence.

Oppo

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt had an episode in the most recent season where one of the characters realized the NFL could make even more money if everyone hated the teams. Piss off more people -> more merchandise to immediately destroy is sold.

ha, I was coming in to ask that, was pretty sure this was a B story on that show

art = life

to someone who isn't into sports the whole thing seems like the definition of mass hysteria

Glix

I wonder how many people dont know Villanueva flipped

Watch them continue to prop him up as their hero

My favorite part is that they would hate him based on name alone, but all of a sudden he's their hero because he came out of the tunnel.

These people would be laughable if there wasn't so fucking many of them.

The Ummah

Banned
Is it bad that I started all these videos by laughing?

This is pretty ridiculous. I can't even. Continue being up in arms, White America. Your true colors are showing.

I just had a coworker on Facebook share an excerpt about the rules and regulations of the NFL saying how players MUST stand for the anthem because we need to respect the flag and the country.

Man, talk about tone deaf.

Mathieran

Banned
They won't stop watching. They will be back soon. Most people who care enough about their teams to buy expensive merchandise won't be able to stay away very long, what else are they gonna do all day on Sunday?

legacyzero

Banned
I guess there's always NASC- Wait, this just in:

https://twitter.com/dalejr/status/912284220067893248

giphy.gif

Lots of talk about "overpaid athletes" these past few days, eh?

That one moron actually said, "You mock a President that the... majority of people put in place"

The concept of "majority" really escapes a lot of people.

Lubricus

One thing I learned today was not to wear NFL clothes near an open flame. That shit burned quick. I'd be cooked in a heartbeat.

I already knew morons existed though

Why are we giving these people attention?

Because if we don't give them 100% attention they'll cleanse us with fire or go with the low-light condition of oversized blades or something

Basically "This is why we voted trump," except now they aren't fooling ANYONE anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom