• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

dickroach

damn. I just finished episode 1, and apparently missed like.. everything. I made 4 choices and it looked like there were like 20something. I didn't realize how side-questy this game was. good shit so far, tho.

damn. I just finished episode 1, and apparently missed like.. everything. I made 4 choices and it looked like there were like 20something. I didn't realize how side-questy this game was. good shit so far, tho.

I did the same thing the first time I played because I thought I was under time pressure. Turns out you aren't, despite the game applying lots of apparent pressure. Take your time. I ended up immediately replaying the episode, making the exact same choices so as not to "cheat" while also exploring everything I could find. Glad I did so, even if it cost me a few hours extra. Extra time spent on this game is well spent time. :)

SE Toby

Neo Member
Hey guys! With 2016 slowly winding down, we at DONTNOD and Square Enix have taken a look back over the past couple years of Life is Strange and have highlighted a small number of people who have really stood out to us - see who we picked out and have a look at the full blog post on Tumblr here.

That being said, we'd love to hear from you guys who you think has really been a Life is Strange Community Hero this year. Please nominate (shout out) or maybe just to say thank you to your personal LIS Community Hero in this thread!

JDB

Banned
It's been almost a year and I still can't stop listening to the soundtrack. This might just be my favorite game of all time.

I've completed this yesterday and it reminded me a lot of FFXV; lots of potential and missed opportunities. They tackled some serious issues but the overall execution took away a lot of the impact. I've had semi-high expectations for this due to the praise but I don't think that really affected my overall view on the game. Here are my random thoughts:

SPOILERS FOR LiS & OTHER GAMES BEYOND

Voice Acting was So-So & Weird Writing/Dialog
So-So/Mediocre voice acting kills almost all investment I have in serious stories and is probably my biggest gripe in story heavy games (aside from a bad story). This absolutely bugged me through the first 3 episodes and when the big events happened, I didn't feel as impacted as I should have. It also didn't help that the dialog had some really random/out of place phrases. I live on the west coast and have never ever heard anyone use the phrases in the same way. People used "hella" a lot (I think I still use it from time to time), but it was usually used as a substitute for "very".

I thought the best VA was Dana when you talk to her after diffusing a situation.

In a nut shell, the inconsistencies took me out of it too often.

Voice Acting and Emotions
There were some scenes that I felt the VAs should've shown more emotion. Chapter 4 Spoilers:
When likable Chloe asks Max to kill her, it would've been more effective if their VAs had more nuances in their emotions. It felt like they were on a straight line for that scene and I would've liked it if they both broke.

FFXV Vague Spoilers: There's a certain campfire scene and it's emotional.
I love it when Noctis slowly breaks down and found it incredibly effective. I didn't think that the VA and Characters were great, but this scene was almost perfect. It felt incredibly natural and you could see and hear it. He didn't cry a river and that's what I love most about it. Chloe and Max felt reminded me of Ignis and Gladio.

The Budget Hurt this Game
I didn't notice the terrible lip syncing until someone pointed it out but it didn't really bug me until I got invested in the story. This game would've been so much better if you could actually see detailed facial expressions of the characters. I absolutely love seeing a character slowly become overwhelmed with emotion: the flaring of the nostrils, the biting of lips, eyes slowly tearing, etc.

I know every studio isn't capable of having Naughty Dog levels of facial capture and animation, but I hope it's something they look at in the sequel.

Game Plays SLOW
This game plays slow and I didn't like that you couldn't skip dialog you haven't seen yet. I always play with subtitles and tend to read faster than they speak.

TL;DR
Enjoyable experience but has many flaws that hold it back from being amazing.

JDHarbs

Just finished the game. Loved it <3

Been listening to the soundtrack on repeat.

Just found out we're getting a sequel too. Can't wait :)

Tregard

Soothsayer
So I finally finished LiS and all I can say is I loved it. I empathised with the characters more than I expected, and it tugged on my heartstrings on more than a few occasions. Teared up a few times, which also took me by surprise.

As I'm just fresh out I have an immediate question regarding the game, not really a spoiler but will spoiler-cover anyway

So, is there an official line on if Max and Chloe have a romantic connection or if it's simply a very strong platonic connection? Or is it just left to interpretation? I certainly felt like the dialogue, especially towards the end, could be read either way, and I was curious to see what the overall feeling was. Personally, "my" Max fell in love with Chloe, which dictated most of my decisions.

AdaWong

So I finally finished LiS and all I can say is I loved it. I empathised with the characters more than I expected, and it tugged on my heartstrings on more than a few occasions. Teared up a few times, which also took me by surprise.

As I'm just fresh out I have an immediate question regarding the game, not really a spoiler but will spoiler-cover anyway

So, is there an official line on if Max and Chloe have a romantic connection or if it's simply a very strong platonic connection? Or is it just left to interpretation? I certainly felt like the dialogue, especially towards the end, could be read either way, and I was curious to see what the overall feeling was. Personally, "my" Max fell in love with Chloe, which dictated most of my decisions.

Up to interpretation. But it is suggested that
they're romantic feelings

I have only looked at one episodes, and I agree. What that thing...

Also, PLEASE DON'T GOOGLE IT . The usually shitty clickbait headlines as first results.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I went through both endings, and am a little disappointed that one ending seems more "canon" than the other merely through the production values.

Purchased it on a whim during the recent sale on Xbox Live. Absolute bargain at $7.

I'm thinking about double dipping and getting the physical limited edition (going cheap enough) just for the cd soundtrack.

Filben

It looks like they ran out of time and/or money.
You alway come to that point where either one of it 'runs out'. And for that I found both endings satisfying. I, personally, couldn't live with Chloe being sacrificed. Arcadia Bay on the other hand-- at least they have a chance to survive. Maybe I'm just a bad person or selfish, but I screw that as much as Arcadia Bay when it comes to that decision. It's obviously a grim ending, when you driving through all that chaos and destruction just because of one person. Sacrificing that person would probably feel more like salvation, for one would have saved many lives which is probably better globally and on long terms (even if you break dwon mentally after that, it's 'just' you and another girl in relation to many many lives that will go on). I don't see it as less or more canon.

I don't understand why so many people have seen both endings :p What happened to living with the consequences of your choices.

I refuse to watch the other ending. I'm kind of curious but this way seems fitting.

JDB

Banned
I don't understand why so many people have seen both endings :p What happened to living with the consequences of your choices.

I refuse to watch the other ending. I'm kind of curious but this way seems fitting.
I've seen both endings, but I never play these types of games more than once for that reason. It would just feel wrong.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

What's wrong with watching both endings? The first thing I did when I finished the game was I hopped over to Youtube and watched the second ending. Your confusion is confusing. :p

I'm happy with the one I picked, but at the same time I was curious as to what happened in the other one. It was also interesting watching both endings from a design and budget perspective and comparing the two.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
still waiting on season 2

Lets hope we get something at E3, although DONTNOD still has to get Vampyr out the gate first (even if they have two teams, I'd guess they don't want to split attention between both). But I ain't no analyst, so maybe there'll be something!

Dontnod would do well NOT to follow Naughty Dog by slapping a "Part 2" on the end and keeping Max the protagonist. It would just cheapen the whole experience. Unless they pull something like (Bioshock Infinite spoiler)
go like seventy years ahead and show Max as an old woman or something.
That'd be some shit.

I hope they go with new protagonist.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Dontnod would do well NOT to follow Naughty Dog by slapping a "Part 2" on the end and keeping Max the protagonist. It would just cheapen the whole experience. Unless they pull something like (Bioshock Infinite spoiler)
That'd be some shit.

Agreed. I love Max and the rest of the LiS characters, but I wanna see a new cast for the next season. Fresh faces, personalities, and voices, please.

Joeku

As far as I'm concerned Life is Strange is really just a coming of age story with a sci-fi conceit. That could be a lot of different things. Hell, another doesn't even necessarily need to ape the Telltale model.

That'd be some shit.

Agreed. I love Max and the rest of the LiS characters, but I wanna see a new cast for the next season. Fresh faces, personalities, and voices, please.

I'm pretty sure they've said this is exactly what they would do, should a season 2 happen.

Filben

How does the soundtrack compare?
Has some good soundtracks in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

I definitely felt LiS vibes; the intro, some of the tracks, all that shit's going on at highschool and people with their fucked up secrets. It drags a bit over the course of 13 episodes and some people really start to annoy the hell out of you, but it's definitely an intriguing show.

Sadly, emotionally not even close to LiS. Damn, LiS almost brought me to tears (literally almost, not like the overused saying 'I'm crying'). 13 Reasons Why was far from that.

Dontnod really delivered on that aspect.

HelloMeow

They're working on a new Life is Strange game, but it won't be at E3.

http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/160806279510/a-special-message-from-dontnod-entertainment

we can indeed confirm that the original Life is Strange team at DONTNOD are working on a brand new Life is Strange game. We can’t wait to tell you all about it when the time is right, but for now we are hard at work ensuring it is the very best game we can create. We’re really thankful for your patience thus far and ask for a bit more time. The new game will not be at E3 in June this year but we will be watching the show alongside you all and wish everyone good luck!

SZips

Just finished this last night after playing through episodes 3-5 this past week (I started this when the game came out but never got around to finishing it until now). That ending fucked me up. I went with
sacrificing Chloe to save the town
and I almost immediately regretted it.

It really didn't help that Chloe reminded me one hell of a lot of my best friend from all through high school. The mannerisms, the mindset, the often carefree "don't give a fuck" attitude, occasional dyed hair, and even smoked pot. She also had no reservations about standing up for things she believed in. Glossing over a lot, she and I had a massive and total falling out around the time we were both in college. We both played a role in it happening but more so on my end of things.

It was a great game but man has that ending, and other parts from those last couple of episodes, really fed into the depression I already suffer from. All of that plus I had played through What Remains of Edith Finch the night before I played Episode 3 of this game.

That's...huh. If those screenshots are fakes, they're...good?

Maybe a little prequel series to fill in some Rachel Amber & crew backstory? I don't know if I'd want a full season of that; I'd rather a sequel be something separate.

The screenshots were found in the source code of the Deck Nine Games website apparently.

Top Bottom