• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

Personally I loved how schizophrenic the game's aesthetics were. Made it feel unpredictable and dangerous! Never knew what form the next chapter would be taking.

See, I'd be OK with the the "schizophrenic" approach if the majority of the game was good. Unfortunately, I felt only a handful of the ideas thrown at the wall worked.

Mind you, as critical as I am of the first game, I would love to see the concept done well. I think it could make a great game.

omg please.
this will make me finally finish the first one. but im stuck with lara chasing me and i have to turn knobs to make the fire go boom in a small room.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Evil within had great moments surrounded by some crap.

Game needed to be like 5 hours shorter then it was. Look forward to see what they can do

DeaDPo0L84

DAY ZERO!!!

I do understand the problems people had with it but it is easily still one of my favorite games of current gen. Game is super fun once you get more weapons and level up.

There was a run of chapters maybe like 6-10 that were absolutely fantastic. More of that less of the enemies with guns that ruined the later chapters for me

yeah those bullet spraying fuckers made akumu mode a tad more frustrating than it should of been, particularly on the bus chapter. Still, I had a fantastic time with the Evil Within and would greatly welcome a sequel.

Not a fan of the first game but i apprecciated some ideas and concept that Mikami put into it

Quite curious to see how this shapes up

Somewhere in The Evil Within I sensed the seed of a good game. Let's see if they can deliver this time.
Summarizes my thoughts right here. I'm down for a second.
Never tried this game.
If we put it side by side with RE 4. Which things are better and worse?
Everything other than the island is better in RE4. The level design, enemy design, combat encounters, weapons, characters, etc. Maybe not the art but The Evil Within is no looker.

RodzTF

Ultimately, the game's performance and technical flaws (PS4) stopped me from ever reaching further than the fourth/fifth chapter.

Hoping the sequel runs smoother.

BadWolf

- Don't sell one of the main story components as DLC (the Kidman DLC), include it in the main game. It expanded on and explained the story so much that it was plain wrong that it was sold seperately.
- Try not to recycle the combat situations from RE4/RE5 so much
- Less gimmicks

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has faults but at the same time it is probably one of the most tense games I've ever played.

The story also has potential (way more than what Capcom has done with RE7).

Corpsepyre

Banned
FUCK! Please let this be real. The Evil Within was pretty under-rated. Here's hoping the sequel has better storytelling.

Holy shit!! I'm at work, and my heart just stopped. Almost just made a huge scene. I haven't been on this board long enough to adequately convey how much this stupid game means to me, but this is huge for me on a very personal level.

It's real. Oh my god it's real. IT'S REAL.

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Yes! While not perfect, I did enjoy the first game, and here's hoping they can improve upon it. Hopefully, they'll ditch id tech 5 on this and go with a brand new engine.

Kuraudo

Banned
I loved the first one. The final third was a little rough, but when the game found its groove (chapters 3-10) it was absolutely sublime. Will buy whatever Mikami is working on day one.

Truant

The first game had lots of potential. I hated the gimmicky levels, though. If the rest of the game was more of that semi-open town area after the intro, then it would be a lot better.

Ooccoo

As someone who thrashed the first game, I think they could get it right. Although a bit on the hyperbole side, my criticism was centered around the encounters which were just plain bad. At some point I had the impression Mikami had lost its focus and tried too many things at once. Just deliver a survival horror game that does not try to be an action game please. In other words, more stuff like the chapter in the mansion and less 'intelligent' zombies with guns please.

hotcyder

I wonder if it'll suffer from the superior sequel slump that other titles have so far this gen

In particular thinking of Titanfall 2 and WatchDogs2 that,despite being improvements on their predecessors, didn't sell as well as the first titles.

Niwa

It'd be funny if Mikami announced this as Switch Exclusive claiming if it was ever ported to PlayStation he will commit seppuku.

I miss these golden times.

Moofers

I loved The Evil Within and even have a custom cover from PAX with my wife on it. Pretty cool convention freebie!

This reminds me I still haven't played any of the DLC. Is it as good as the main game? You get to play as the female detective, right?

Rymuth

Sold the game because I thought it was crap. Bought a cheap copy years later because GAF said it was good.

GAF lied to me.

Here's hoping they improve massively upon the sequel because the games engine did it no favors

Zugma

My favorite (or second favorite, I can't remember if SMT4 was out that year) of the year it released. Completely flawed in some areas, but brilliant in many other ways. Played through it 4 times, each time uncovering more about its gameplay systems.

The game was a real treat, but so polarizing that I was worried a sequel wouldn't happen. Let's hope they don't go too far in trying to satisfy everyone that they end up alienating the people who loved the first.

I loved The Evil Within and even have a custom cover from PAX with my wife on it. Pretty cool convention freebie!

This reminds me I still haven't played any of the DLC. Is it as good as the main game? You get to play as the female detective, right?

It's different and experimental. They try out new mechanics and it's more stealth based.

I enjoyed it, but reactions were mixed. Some people missed the more prevelant gun play, others loved the stealth. The main monster in the dlc is awesome though

Zukkoyaki

Betting we see it at E3. I didn't like the first game but I know a lot of people did. Hopefully you all get the sequel you want!

pablito

I watched my brother do a playthrough and found it entertaining. Not sure what the hate is about. Kanyeshrug. Bring on the next one.

Aswitch

I want:

Better technical performance (no more shitty engines)
No more goddamn black bars
A way to change my FOV without hacks ffs
Get rid of the annoying one hit kill bomb traps

I believe they added a patch a while back that gives you the option to remove the letterboxing now (for consoles to my understanding, i think pc already had the option perhaps).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=169475705

Overall, I liked a lot of things the Evil Within did. It felt closer to RE than 5 and 6 did for sure. It did seem to have a lot of fat that could've been cut out but,as long as Mikami is still involved, I think they'll hit a homerun with this one and give the RE franchise a run for its money and maybe make RE consider going back to third person again(personally wasn't a fan of first person in RE7, but did enjoy the game as a whole).

Still need to finish the executioner DLC, the first 2 were good from a storytelling standpoint, but wasn't a fan of how helpless she felt combat wise.

Maybe it will run faster than 20fps this time.

For home consoles at least, sure. It will be interesting to see what engine they use for this one, I would imagine that it will be based on ID Tech, but will they be going with IDTech5 again, or will they use the Void Engine or IDTech6? I would like to see them use a variation of IDTech with Vulkan implemented in the PC version.

This is great news for me. The Evil Within was not a perfect game, but I liked it a lot. If they can fix some of the pacing issues of the original and take out some of the random "insta-death" moments, then I am all for it.

Tain

I want:

Better technical performance (no more shitty engines)
No more goddamn black bars
A way to change my FOV without hacks ffs
Get rid of the annoying one hit kill bomb traps

The PC patches released for the game let you turn off black bars and improved performance. I don't remember if you could tweak the FOV.

But the one hit kill bomb traps are dope, lol.

Clearly a polarizing game, but count me among the F YES crowd.

I bought this with GCU on Black Friday the year it came out for 16 bucks. Despite its fair share of technical problems and trial and error design at times, what a fantastic ride. I had some legit wtf moments both in terms of some of the scenarios/enemy encounters, and a couple good jump scares too.

To me, the game is like this weird mix of the newer Resident Evils,Silent Hill and a tiny hint of the last of us, with small bouts of sneaking around and scavenging resources. I realize EW and TLOU are completely different games, but I felt the same tension when low on ammo and trying to make every bullet count.

Great boss fights and possibly the most satisfying headshots ever.

Sign me up.

Love TEW. Only thing I'd change was the performance and to make normal difficulty easier. Bloodborne was a cakewalk to me compared to it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Top Bottom