• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Wonder Woman’ Breaks Records: Biggest Live-Action Box Office Hit by Female Director

SpaceWolf

Banned
Good job, Jenkins!

“Wonder Woman” set a new milestone on Friday, becoming the highest-grossing live-action film to be directed by a woman.

The superhero adventure eclipsed the $609.8 million racked up by “Mamma Mia!,” the Abba musical that was directed by Phyllida Lloyd.

“Wonder Woman” was directed by Patty Jenkins, who previously oversaw the Oscar-winning “Monster.” Despite the critical raves that “Monster” earned, Jenkins had to wait 14 years before directing another feature film. She only got the “Wonder Woman” gig after the original choice, Michelle MacLaren, was pushed out in the wake of creative differences.

“Wonder Woman” was backed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Critics loved the film, praising it as a breath of fresh air after a series of downbeat comic book films such as “Suicide Squad” and “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.”

Jenkins hasn’t officially signed on to direct a “Wonder Woman” sequel, but in an interview with Variety, DC Comics chief creative officer Geoff Johns said he is already working with the director on a treatment for a follow-up.

Literally had no idea Jenkins hadn't directed in so long. Great achievement.

Lasso me if old.

Good job, Jenkins!

Literally had no idea Jenkins hadn't directed in so long. Great achievement.

I always wonder what directors/actors/writers like her do in the downtime. Going by her IMDB, she had no directing work what so ever between 2006-2011. Either way, glad to see her return to feature directing turn out so well.

dmshaposv

God damn hollywood really doesnt trust female directors, do they?

14 years of no work, despite churning out an oscar winning film.

But her emails...
Ahem, sorry.

Anyway, congrats to Patty Jenkins. That's a huge win and making WW work in live-action was no easy task.

And it's likely it'll top BVS Dom within two weeks to be highest grossing DCEU film in States.
Awesome.

Super hero movies might be successful simply because of name recognition, but the numbers also show that a good film still makes a big difference. One can only imagine how big BvS could have been, had it not been a bad movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well deserved. Here's hoping, not only that this means positive news on Patty's sequel, but that other female directors are given the opportunity to challenge even this movie.

Glad it best Mama Mia, what a trash film that I'm sure didn't exactly help female directors trying to get jobs when that was the highest grossing movie a women directed.

Not that it should matter in the first place.

El Topo

Glad it best Mama Mia, what a trash film that I'm sure didn't exactly help female directors trying to get jobs when that was the highest grossing movie a women directed.

If a musical grossing over $600m doesn't help female directors to get jobs and neither does making critically acclaimed movies, then what does?
Mind you, Mamma Mia! sucked.

Chase17

Not that it should matter in the first place.
Mama Mia 2 is coming to take back the throne.

Congrats to Jenkins.

Bow to the Queen
giphy.gif

Nev

Banned
Great! Well deserved.

That would depend on the quality of future DC movies. Wonder Woman's success offers no guarantees.

True, but the fact that SS/MoS/BvS happen in the WW universe retroactively made them a bit less bad.

It's an actual real world with real people now instead of some shitty dark and gritty no-world with the depth, presence and relevance of a glorified fighting game stage for Snyder to develop his overpowered murderer superhero fetish with cool shots.

Well deserved though I don't know if I'll ever let go of my dislike for Snyder for what he did with Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman and just handling Superman/Clark in general, I hope Patty gains greater influence, she actually seems to get it.

She worked, maybe wasn't in as much demand as she probably should've been but it's not as if she couldn't get hired after Monster.

The film became such a breakout success that dream opportunities began falling into Jenkins' lap. Famed test pilot Chuck Yeager approached her to make a movie about his life story, but she opted to develop it independently rather than at a studio, and it eventually fell apart. Then she was set to team with Ryan Gosling on an indie drama titled I Am Superman (no relation to the DC Universe). But she got pregnant with her now-8-year-old son (she's married to travel writer Sam Sheridan; the three live in Santa Monica, where Jon Favreau is a neighbor), and it got put on hold (she still plans to make the movie with Gosling). Instead, she started directing TV shows — a much less time-consuming job for a new mom — including that pilot for The Killing, which drew critical raves and earned Jenkins an Emmy nomination.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/complex-gender-politics-wonder-woman-movie-1008259

Monocle

True, but the fact that SS/MoS/BvS happen in the WW universe retroactively made them a bit less bad.

It's an actual real world with real people now instead of some shitty dark and gritty no-world with the depth, presence and relevance of a glorified fighting game stage for Snyder to develop his overpowered murderer superhero fetish with cool shots.
I know this is cynical but I feel like Wonder Women is diminished by her ties to the DCEU. She's got the weight of three OK-to-bad films dragging her down.

I really just can't come to terms with Snyder's take on Superman. Batfleck is great apart from the way he brands criminals with the bat symbol and kills with abandon. But Superman is fundamentally a misfire. He simply doesn't embody the qualities or convey the emotions that make Superman heroic. He needs to contrast Batman's rage and grit with optimism. He needs to be the heroic ideal.

Well deserved.

But to be honest this wasnt really hard since there are sadly not many female directors Hollywood trusts to begin with.

Why is it in every Patty Jenkins thread it always comes back to people fighting back and forth on the DCEU? It's like we're diminishing how important this movie is to female directors and female fans.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I always wonder what directors/actors/writers like her do in the downtime. Going by her IMDB, she had no directing work what so ever between 2006-2011. Either way, glad to see her return to feature directing turn out so well.

I wonder this a lot of the time with actors who work sporadically.

Like, what the hell has Daniel Day Lewis been up to since 2012? How has he been keeping himself afloat financially? Was he paid that much for Lincoln?

Demy

This and Logan are the best movies I've seen this year. I hope DC learns a thing or two instead of messing everything up again.

jrush64

Banned
Why is it in every Patty Jenkins thread it always comes back to people fighting back and forth on the DCEU? It's like we're diminishing how important this movie is to female directors and female fans.

Do you expect more from a DCEU thread? Congrats to Patty and everyone involved.

Those Twilight movies made a lot of money, where they directed by guys?

Lifeline

With Transformers and Cars 3 out, Wonder Woman still has the most showtimes at my local theater this weekend.

Insane

This may be a stupid question, but what's the (presumably) animated film directed by a woman that has Wonder Woman beaten? I'm sure it's obvious, but nothing springs to mind...

The first one was directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

This may be a stupid question, but what's the (presumably) animated film directed by a woman that has Wonder Woman beaten? I'm sure it's obvious, but nothing springs to mind...

One of the Shrek films I believe.

The first one was directed by a woman. I think the sequels surpassed the first movie at the box office.

firelogic

One of the Shrek films I believe.

The director of Kung Fu Panda 2 made $665M. She's the highest grossing female director that isn't part of a directing duo. Patty Jenkins will eventually surpass her as Wonder Woman is predicted to make over $700M.

If a musical grossing over $600m doesn't help female directors to get jobs and neither does making critically acclaimed movies, then what does?
Mind you, Mamma Mia! sucked.

Well it's more that I can see people thinking that women directors should direct movies like Mamma Mia which I think is fair to say is aimed at women specifically instead of huge crowd pleasing block busters like wonder woman. Wonder woman's success should hopefully show that women directors don't need to be used for niche genres. I mean it's ridiculous that they aren't already but we can hope that this changes from now on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
RichMenLaughing.gif

but yes let's hope they get both acknowledgement and a fat bonus check

Also who would have guessed making a good movie = success

I mean DC have been making bad movies and having success and oscars so. I don't it's neccesarily that obvious.

Top Bottom