• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2. What are the biggest differences?

amar212

I find a bit weird the FFB comments... GT5/6 has way better FFB implementation than pCARs.

I do not have nor I tried XboxOne Forzas with Fanatec CSL.

But I had Xbox360/MSFFW and Xbox360/FanatecGT2/FanatecCSRElite (played RacePRo, Forza 3, Forza 4, PGRs..)

PS3/Logitech G25/Thrustmaster T500/Fanatec CSW/Fanatec CSWV2 (all PS3 racing games..)

PS4/Fanatec CSWV2/Fanatec CSL Elite (ProjectCARS, Assetto Corsa, GTS beta)

...and I completely agree with quoted. There is no game on consoles which have better FFB impementation and support of GT titles. Assetto is amazing as well and Codemasters did some great stuff with F1 titles (with some tweaking), but GT still leads the pack IMO

Mascot

This thread is simply wonderful entertainment. The proper GTS vs pCARS 2 vs Forza 7 thread is going to be amazing, and hopefully it'll be a free-fire zone where every logic-dodging numbskull will be free to spray fanboy fury around without fear of retribution.

(This isn't a response to your post above, Amar - just bad timing..!)

terrible

Banned
I heard everyone likes 360 save gifs.

If they get the feel of the cars right in pCARS 2 that'll probably be the game I'll play the most. The track list in the original game was great and this seems even better. The car list for a sim is really good too. That I now have an Oculus Rift makes pCARS 2 even more appealing.

I'm getting GT Sport for sure but I feel like it'll probably disappoint me and I'll barely play it. I am curious about the online stuff though so I need to try it.

Forza 7 interests me the least out of all of them personally because it doesn't seem to be a huge step up from 6. All the changes seem kind of minor to me and 6 is still good enough to scratch my simcade itch. Sorry Maple Valley, I love you but you're not enough to win me over.

amar212

I know :D And I feel the same way as you. I was restraining myself to posting anything in all of the threads, except for some small things and I am preparing 3-years stack of popcorns once everything releases.

Only reading and entertaining. I will go full Dave Allen and I already love it.

the-best-of-dave-allen.jpg

Pensé

Neo Member
I find a bit weird the FFB comments... GT5/6 has way better FFB implementation than pCARs.

My intention was not to talk about proper quality but philosophy means. Many may disagree but I find Project Cars the worst game in terms of FFB because the game refuses the use of what I'm calling "superficial FFB effects". The steering wheel is supposed to have realistic reactions but through your hands and your brain, the FFB feels completely wrong with an annoying lack of feedback. Maybe my FFB settings were crap but I never got the courage to find the perfect balance.

I do not have nor I tried XboxOne Forzas with Fanatec CSL.

But I had Xbox360/MSFFW and Xbox360/FanatecGT2/FanatecCSRElite (played RacePRo, Forza 3, Forza 4, PGRs..)

PS3/Logitech G25/Thrustmaster T500/Fanatec CSW/Fanatec CSWV2 (all PS3 racing games..)

PS4/Fanatec CSWV2/Fanatec CSL Elite (ProjectCARS, Assetto Corsa, GTS beta)

...and I completely agree with quoted. There is no game on consoles which have better FFB impementation and support of GT titles. Assetto is amazing as well and Codemasters did some great stuff with F1 titles (with some tweaking), but GT still leads the pack IMO

Interesting point of view. It has been a while since I played GT5 last time, it was basically the first game I tested my Logitech G27 with. I loved this game.

Another fact is that your perception can significantly differ according your steering wheel tech. I heard that with a very high end wheel (TS-PC Racer, direct drive wheels), rFactor 2 becomes phenomenal, and Raceroom delivers very well too.

PS: I currently own a Thrustmaster T300RS.

ethomaz

Banned
I was in the beta, too. Where was this option?
You enter in Arcade, choose the track, the cars, drive assist, etc via some menu wizard... after you enter that screen before race you have icons to change options... choose an icon with track details/setthings and there there are a combo box with about 20 options of time of day and weather that include snow and dirt... most of options were disabled and it can't be choose in Beta.

That is from what I remember because I can't access the Beta anymore.

JamboGT

There are some threads that are better to just watch from afar, what a great time to be a fan of racing games though.

Leak

It's rock solid on my PC...

Jur, jur and more jur. With maximum number of cars + extreme rain conditions in PCars (1) I'm getting arount 45FPS with a GTX 1070 + i7 6700. And both (GPU and CPU) aren't never going over 50% usage. It's performance is weird.

Grassy

This thread is simply wonderful entertainment. The proper GTS vs pCARS 2 vs Forza 7 thread is going to be amazing, and hopefully it'll be a free-fire zone where every logic-dodging numbskull will be free to spray fanboy fury around without fear of retribution.

The mods should unban Shamepain, Conduit and Xanadu so that thread can really go places.

c0de

You enter in Arcade, choose the track, the cars, drive assist, etc via some menu wizard... after you enter that screen before race you have icons to change options... choose an icon with track details/setthings and there there are a combo box with about 20 options of time of day and weather that include snow and dirt... most of options were disabled and it can't be choose in Beta.

That is from what I remember because I can't access the Beta anymore.

I couldn't even enter arcade, IIRC....

ethomaz

Banned
I couldn't even enter arcade, IIRC....
Because you were late to beta... Arcade was disabled only after patch 1.04 on April 11.

Here I posted a pic from playing the Arcade Mode in Mars 31: https://mobile.twitter.com/_edmarcio/status/847792501645824002

BTW when the beta went online you could play only Arcade Mode because the online events were not up yet.

Edit - I remember now... EU Beta only started after Arcade being disabled... only US users played it.

Sintoid

Quick question - Does anyone know if Forza 7 will support Logitech G27? Is there an official supported Driving wheels list for PC version?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've preordered both GTS and F7 now. (well, I would have preordered F7 but it wasn't working for me on amazon yesterday to preorder the download code. Waiting for CS to get back to me)

willbsn13

Anyone know if Forza supports double input? That is for example, one G27 wheel combined with Fanatec CSR pedals?

Yup, unless I'm confusing multi-usb support for something else

It's right there in the article

We're excited to share that thanks to multi-USB support, Forza Motorsport 7 will be compatible with more than 30 gamepads and racing wheels, including every fan-requested wheel on the market:

c0de

Because you were late to beta... Arcade was disabled only after patch 1.04 on April 11.

Here I posted a pic from playing the Arcade Mode in Mars 31: https://mobile.twitter.com/_edmarcio/status/847792501645824002

BTW when the beta went online you could play only Arcade Mode because the online events were not up yet.

Edit - I remember now... EU Beta only started after Arcade being disabled... only US users played it.

Well, that explains why I could not see that. Thanks for the information.

fresquito

Jur, jur and more jur. With maximum number of cars + extreme rain conditions in PCars (1) I'm getting arount 45FPS with a GTX 1070 + i7 6700. And both (GPU and CPU) aren't never going over 50% usage. It's performance is weird.
I'm not even going to discuss why you'd race in such conditions, but are you aware the 1070 is not the best graphics card out there, right?

Grassy

Why haven't PD shown any weather yet, or have they?

The only alternate weather-type we've seen is the foggy Nurburgring in one of the E3 trailers. My guess is they're going to do a blow-out at the Tokyo Game Show in 4 weeks time, although maybe they'll show us more at Gamescom this week too.

I was thinking it meant support for wheels (setups) that use more than one USB, but who knows!
No, that must be what this means. You can use you Logitech G27, with Fanatec pedals and a Thrustmaster shifter with FM7 on PC.

About Forza physics and that spin:
Forza has "normal" and "simulation" steering. In normal steering it's somewhat easy to countersteer on simulation steering it's super hard, especially to get the counter-countersteer right to correct the initial overcorrection (with wheel and controller, both are super hard) - harder than in any other current-gen simulator including all the PC sims.
I was never sure what the "normal" steering actually does. Does it allow like 10% difference in the steering angle the player puts in und just "rounds" that to the needed value; does it tone the car's angular inertia down / make the car's mass concentrated more to the center? It's not that "normal" steering allows for a changed friction circle that allows more throttle input in a slide like arcade racers pretty much always do.
Either way, what Forza thinks are "simulation" driving characteristics is not where it should be and too hard. I'd say the mass distribution of the cars is and always was off in Forza and then, for Forza 5, Turn 10 bought that damn Calspan tire testing machine and got some ice-racing bad tire curves out of it, which made it even worse in Forza 5. It got a little better in 6 and it'll probably get better again now in 7, but there is something wrong with Forza's physics.

I could write some "wrong!"-things about GTS's physics, too. So don't jump on this train, if you're only doing it to stomp on Forza to make GT look better.
If someone knows more about "normal" vs. "simulation" steering in the Forza driving aids screen, let me know, I'm really interested in this.

Edit: Wow, I just read the Forza 7 track list. Didn't know it was going to have licensed Suzuka! That's the holy grail of track licensing money. Did we already know that?

That's not what their wording implies, but let's hope so.

Also didn't they say the same thing about Forza Horizon 3? I could use a specific wheel combination with 2 USBs, but not 2 different devices at the same time.
I remember John from ISR saying he met Dan Greenawalt in a hallway at E3 and asked him and he said it'll work. I mean it could be the same misunderstanding, but that would also mean no shifter support on PC in general. I think I'd even bet money on all-wheels-with-all-pedal-sets.

Mascot

Man, as an old-skool Forza fan I so want to get hyped for FM7. It looks graphically incredible but Forza Apex (with a CSR-E FFB wheel) left me numb. It just felt lifeless and vague. Being able to play FM with my wheel again was one of the things I was looking forward to after getting a gaming PC, but Apex has pretty much killed that buzz. Is anyone able to comment as to whether the feel is improved from hands-on experience at E3 or elsewhere? I feel like we should have been getting some early impressions by now, with launch little over a month away.

willbsn13

Man, as an old-skool Forza fan I so want to get hyped for FM7. It looks graphically incredible but Forza Apex (with a CSR-E FFB wheel) left me numb. It just felt lifeless and vague. Being able to play FM with my wheel again was one of the things I was looking forward to after getting a gaming PC, but Apex has pretty much killed that buzz. Is anyone able to comment as to whether the feel is improved from hands-on experience at E3 or elsewhere? I feel like we should have been getting some early impressions by now, with launch little over a month away.

Dan's said in interviews (and on twitter) that they've reworked the FFB

Whether this is actually the case is yet to be seen. A few people who tried the rig at E3 said it was fairly similar to FM6, some said it was a lot better. So who knows

Sini

I'm not even going to discuss why you'd race in such conditions,

So are you implying such conditions are pointless? Why are people arguing about if games have them or not then?

but are you aware the 1070 is not the best graphics card out there, right?
This would only matter if GPU usage was already 100%. It was ~50% in that situation. and that sounds like they are hitting CPU limits.

Mascot

Toss nib95 in too. Good 'ole NIBZY.

They could be here undercover, never know..haha.

There are a few other characters whose names escape me right now. Maybe a trawl of the old FM vs GT threads is in order.

Bish, if you are watching - what are the chances of a demilitarized thread to contain and control all the inevitable bile that'll be getting spewed in a month or so's time?

Sunhilegend will make the better gifs from GT Sport.

Both Forza 7 and PC2 both look to have the better features, tracks, cars and game direction but as GT Sport is the only one with PSVR support (however limited it is) that is the only one I'm buying.

fresquito

So are you implying such conditions are pointless? Why are people arguing about if games have them or not then?

This would only matter if GPU usage was already 100%. It was ~50% in that situation. and that sounds like they are hitting CPU limits.
Thunderstorm =/= Rain. I play in rain conditions and I think dynamic rain is essential for any sim to be close to reality. Thunderstorms? No. They are there just for fun. There're not many motorsports, if any, that would allow racing under such weather conditions.

Besides, when you are talking full grid you are talking of 55 cars, and I never race with so many cars, it's just too busy. On paper it sounds great, but on practice it is not.

Particles are CPU driven. That said, GPU usage is not strictly related to performance. You can have bad performance and not be getting top usage. That's why better cards will improve performance. In any case, a 1070 should give you good performance, rock solid, unless you are going for the crazy AA.

Dan's said in interviews (and on twitter) that they've reworked the FFB

Whether this is actually the case is yet to be seen. A few people who tried the rig at E3 said it was fairly similar to FM6, some said it was a lot better. So who knows
Don't take this as "calling you out on it", but do you remember who said it was better? I'd like to read/watch what they said about it. I think I've only heard "it's the same as FM6" and "can't tell from playing on that insane motion rig how it is for real" as opinions myself.

nstine

I was thinking it meant support for wheels (setups) that use more than one USB, but who knows!

They stated in the stream yesterday that you can mix and match peripherals and specifically mentioned wheels and pedals. They said you can even play with guitar hero peripherals if you wanted.

Mascot

Even with a 1080Ti and an overclocked 6700k PCars performance isn't all that.

Maybe with a 7900x, but that's ridiculous for the reward you're getting.

Hopefully PC2 will be better, because even if the game is great there's no way I'm playing a racing game with frame drops.
Tried 45fps and ASW? I can play with high settings, 6600k and 980ti.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Forza has "normal" and "simulation" steering.

The difference between them is Normal steering alters the input in the event of a countersteer to find the correct steering angle and tapers off as the car begins to regain control.

Sim steering is 1:1 during countersteer (which is why it's insanely easy to over correct on controllers).

As for steering wheels, the input has generally been 1:1 from the start (with the exception of countersteer pre simulation steering i.e fm3) to the point where you could get catastrophic understeer on demand by being silly with the wheel.

The difference between them is Normal steering alters the input in the event of a countersteer to find the correct steering angle and tapers off as the car begins to regain control.

Sim steering is 1:1 during countersteer (which is why it's insanely easy to over correct on controllers).

As for steering wheels, the input has generally been 1:1 from the start (with the exception of countersteer pre simulation steering i.e fm3) to the point where you could get catastrophic understeer on demand by being silly with the wheel.
Ok, thanks, that's what I thought, but never read anything to confirm this.

But on a wheel "normal steering" is not 1:1 either. It's much easier on normal than simulation. Also the lag between on-screen wheel and physical wheel rotation - by many interpreted as input lag - is input smoothing also used on controller inputs in my opinion. That smoothing is present on sim-steering with a wheel too.

I wouldn't base anything on the graphic steering wheel in any racing game. It's not necessarily what the real steering inputs are doing.

Top Bottom