• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

Chitown B

Well he has 2.5 million subs, so he's fairly important, a good or bad review from him probably has some impact on a games sales I would imagine.

at this point? it's two weeks after launch. Most people who really wanted it have already bought it.

Revven

but his recent ones are just "It's bad because I laughed at something minuscule on my stream"

Except many of the things pointed out in the video are legitimate issues.

Main character has a power that he uses to rewind time to open a door. Suddenly, the same said character cannot do this for other doors in the game that are locked. Contextual sensitive power which may as well have been just a button prompt to just... open/unlock the door or break it down like we see in other third person shooters. It breaks the immersion that you have this power just for the excuse of having a puzzle. Bad design. It means you should come up with a... more creative puzzle or redesign said puzzle. Or, you know, don't introduce a mechanic that is only context sensitive (aka when the game allows you to do it).

AI sees Joe and Joe is completely open to being shot at. The enemy literally misses every bullet except one, which of course barely does any damage to Joe. And he did not... die by the time he got back after ten minutes. In other third person shooters, you'd more than likely die if an enemy saw you and was shooting at you while you're just sitting there. Hell, other games AI would have even more aggressive AI in the sense of getting closer to you and shooting you instead of sitting still, far away, shooting like Joe showed the enemy in the review. Bad AI.

Objects that look like you can climb them but can't yet the same height objects nearby you can climb. This is a problem in other games in the same genre but just because it's a problem in other games doesn't mean it should be ignored. The devs need to be more creative in preventing the player from going where they don't want you to go, in that case. Simply making the wall ungrabbable, while easy to do on the dev side, really breaks some of the experience for the player. Not really sure what I would call this exactly but either way, multiple cases of this is pretty bad anyway.

That last one is probably the least of the game's problems but it's still pretty valid to point out.

Probably the only thing you can qualify as Joe laughing at something minuscule on his stream and using it as support to his claims is the one where the character is infinitely floating in the air because the game can't determine which collision he's supposed to be standing on or whatever. Many, many games have this problem and it's never going to be completely scrubbed away from any game as games get more and more complex and contain more objects and what not.

But largely, Joe's review contains very valid criticism. And he tends to support it with footage. Not many reviews go that far. I'd hardly call a 30 minute review "clickbait" or looking for clicks based on his negative impressions.

He gets high views for his video reviews regardless of the score or content of it. Why is that? Because people are interested in his opinion at a base level. They will click the video and just watch it because they want to know Joe's opinion and if the game is worth picking up.

If he was going for views, he'd have a nonsensical title slamming the game right off the bat. But he doesn't.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never understood why people get so offended when someone doesn't like something as much as they do. Joe has bashed some games I really liked, and I enjoy his comedic critiques and slights of the game. I find them entertaining.

It's almost like if his opinion gets out and people start agreeing with it, people feel like it will invalidate their feelings on it or something.

I didn't know average suddenly equated to bad now.

It does to an extent. It effects sales too. Sunset Overdrive is a good example of a game being bashed for doing something out of the ordinary and uncommon. QB does a lot of things different and Joe seems to critize it for not being an open world game. I find this odd.

JaggedSac

Main character has a power that he uses to rewind time to open a door. Suddenly, the same said character cannot do this for other doors in the game that are locked. Contextual sensitive power which may as well have been just a button prompt to just... open/unlock the door or break it down like we see in other third person shooters. It breaks the immersion that you have this power just for the excuse of having a puzzle. Bad design. It means you should come up with a... more creative puzzle or redesign said puzzle. Or, you know, don't introduce a mechanic that is only context sensitive (aka when the game allows you to do it).

AI sees Joe and Joe is completely open to being shot at. The enemy literally misses every bullet except one, which of course barely does any damage to Joe. And he did not... die by the time he got back after ten minutes. In other third person shooters, you'd more than likely die if an enemy saw you and was shooting at you while you're just sitting there. Hell, other games AI would have even more aggressive AI in the sense of getting closer to you and shooting you instead of sitting still, far away, shooting like Joe showed the enemy in the review. Bad AI.

Objects that look like you can climb them but can't yet the same height objects nearby you can climb. This is a problem in other games in the same genre but just because it's a problem in other games doesn't mean it should be ignored. The devs need to be more creative in preventing the player from going where they don't want you to go, in that case. Simply making the wall ungrabbable, while easy to do on the dev side, really breaks some of the experience for the player. Not really sure what I would call this exactly but either way, multiple cases of this is pretty bad anyway.

That last one is probably the least of the game's problems but it's still pretty valid to point out.

Probably the only thing you can qualify as Joe laughing at something minuscule on his stream and using it as support to his claims is the one where the character is infinitely floating in the air because the game can't determine which collision he's supposed to be standing on or whatever. Many, many games have this problem and it's never going to be completely scrubbed away from any game as games get more and more complex and contain more objects and what not.

But largely, Joe's review contains very valid criticism. And he tends to support it with footage. Not many reviews go that far. I'd hardly call a 30 minute review "clickbait" or looking for clicks based on his negative impressions.

He gets high views for his video reviews regardless of the score or content of it. Why is that? Because people are interested in his opinion at a base level. They will click the video and just watch it because they want to know Joe's opinion and if the game is worth picking up.

If he was going for views, he'd have a nonsensical title slamming the game right off the bat. But he doesn't.

Haven't played the game yet. Are these really the biggest issues?

Vinland

Banned

They were just well explained gripes. The biggest issue he had was the tv episode integration. Which is why he stated at the beginning he understood his main gripe was highly subjective and could not fault people for liking what they got.

Will buy anyways. 5 seems low. 10 point scale also seems silly. You just need 3 stars really.

1 its not good
2. its fine
3. it's great.

maybe zero could be utterly broken. But even then. It should never be used for aaa stuff or even indie stuff that have bugs but aren't really "broken".

No half stars either. Just 3 stars.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It does to an extent. It effects sales too. Sunset Overdrive is a good example of a game being bashed for doing something out of the ordinary and uncommon. QB does a lot of things different and Joe seems to critize it for not being an open world game. I find this odd.

It's a give and take industry. Positive reviews can help sales, negative reviews can hurt sales. Both sides have an understanding of this, it's just part of the industry. If a reviewer doesn't like the game, he owes it to his own professional career, or fan base to speak honestly and candidly about it. If it hurts sales, so be it. That's the way it is.

If one man can single-handedly hurt a company or send a game's sales into oblivion, then that game probably shouldn't have ever been made, and that company probably should try to dabble in another line of work.

dt2

Banned

Not sure what difficulty he played on but the game pretty much forces you out of cover (aggressive enemies) and into the open where if you don't use your powers then you die pretty quickly (from my experience beating the game on Normal and Hard).

Never had any AI issues playing on hard. For the most part they required me to keep moving and think tactically. I had a few issues with not being to climb objects I thought I would be able to, but come on.

at this point? it's two weeks after launch. Most people who really wanted it have already bought it.

I would argue that most people who bought it without waiting for reviews were going to get it whether or not it reviewed bad...

As for those people saying Joe is clickbait tier....if Joe was clickbait, the review would've been up day 1. Joe spends time on his reviews whether you like it or not...

QB does one thing different. Other than that it's as much of a third-person shooter as any other, especially a Remedy shooter.

Bashed by who? It was all around pretty well received.

Where, WHERE did he do this, I want a time stamp.

He criticizes the story and pacing a lot and you think he wants it to be an open world game? He wants it to be in a genre that's known for bad pacing and usually bad stories?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

People keep saying stuff like this as if it's some deep system. It's not like the powers mesh together in any creative ways. You just pop whatever power isn't on cooldown.

Well thats actually false, on harder its imperative to be strategic with your powers and you can do some really fun and creative shit with it

Saganator

He criticized lazy level design. If one of the character's core powers is to open doors by manipulating time, then the devs should try real hard to limit the amount of doors there are that you can't use the power on. The part with the truck being in the way was lazy design because 10 feet away from that was a vehicle that he could jump on to. The devs could've put another asset in the way, but it was probably easier to just use that truck.

Joe's main criticism was the story sucking and the TV elements not being that great nor needed. If a game's main selling point is its story, and that story ends up not being so great, then the game is not very good. It's a good thing Joe seemed to think some aspects of the game were good, I bet he would've given the game an even lower score if he didn't like some parts of it.

Reminds me of his review of The Order, in which he ruthlessly exposed how the actually potentially interesting gameplay conceits crumble under the weight of overly linear, immersion-breaking, nonsensical level design and mission structure in the service of an overly self-serious yet utterly mediocre storyline.

Definitely a vestige of last-gen "AAA" style. Remedy probably isn't long for this world if its next game doubles down on this transmedia bullshit.

Vinland

Banned
Well thats actually false, on harder its imperative to be strategic with your powers and you can do some really fun and creative shit with it

Unless you play a game on hard from the get go why should this matter. And if you did that is basically saying the developers had to dumb the game down for the masses if the game is truely only balanced for a mode most people will not play unless they want another play through which Joe basically said nope to for himself.

I usually agree with Joe on most of his reviews but definitely not this one. I thought the combat was very engaging and I loved the TV segments. They didn't feel low budget to me at all, quite the opposite actually. Great acting overall.

Most of the complaints felt nitpicky.

Unless you play a game on hard from the get go why should this matter. And if you did that is basically saying the developers had to dumb the game down for the masses if the game is truely only balanced for a mode most people will not play unless they want another play through which Joe basically said nope to for himself.

The game is definitely balanced for people who are bad at games. Hard should be normal.

LowParry

Hmmm. Kind of a mixed bag with Joe on this review. I agree on some points, and others not. This is probably a game you need to play on a higher difficulty though because the combat suffers without it.

Courage

Usually not a fan of his reviews, although do appreciate the effort behind them. He's mostly on point with this one though. The TV/heavily scripted segments drastically hold the game back.

Kusagari

The only thing out of the ordinary for this game was the tone and art style, especially for xbox demographics, which probably hurt sales more than biogamer trashing the game.

The gameplay didn't click with many.

But I think that's just a by product of what it involved. Basing your gameplay off always grinding and moving was always going to be divisive.

R3TRODYCE

Eh I loved it but my friend started it today and shelved it quick after the first act so I can understand the mixed reviews.

Holy poo, this game looks like a mess. And seeing as the PC port is pretty damn terrible, I guess I can just pass on this one forever.

Entertaining review though. Got a few laughs out of me.

Nah, normal is like that in most games, it was Joe's choice to nitpick it in this particular instance for reasons unknown. The game really shines on Hard though and you have to use your time powers rather than trying to force yourself to use a secondary and basic cover system...

MaulerX

I usually agree with Joe on most of his reviews but definitely not this one. I thought the combat was very engaging and I loved the TV segments. They didn't feel low budget to me at all, quite the opposite actually. Great acting overall.

Most of the complaints felt nitpicky.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

leng jai

His tone is exaggerated but the points he makes are undeniable. Some of the things that get highlighted in the reviews are insanely dumb.

Quantum Break is an average game at best.

Lain

I felt the review to be both good and entertaining, explaining his issues with the game as well as highlighting what he liked about it.
The immersion breaking aspects of the game, as well as the pace breaking with the live action interruptions seems like big negatives to me, especially if the live action episodes aren't even interesting while being one of the big points about the game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I really don't see how anyone could watch that entire segment where he points out so many legit flaws in the game, and still insist he's way off base. Opinions and all, but damn.

Why bother making it? Because it is my opinion. Don't try to dismiss it because it's "vagueless" to you.
Your comment is dismissible because it's a stupid thing to post in a review thread, at the very least because you give nothing of substance to back up your oh-so-valued opinion.

I say that people should play the game and judge it for them selves.

I mean, why ever have a review thread again, amirite? We should all just play every game and judge it for ourselves.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
My opinion is just as valid as his. Though he clearly didn't "get" the combat. His play on the stream was awful.

The game is above average but flawed.

yeah 7-8 gameplay/storywise but way higher graphically.

Then again its the internet and is filled with keyboard warriors and fanboys. Dont take it to seriously.

Top Bottom