• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Left Behind DLC new teaser video, preview and price revealed

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
1ehuyv.jpg

Update:

PSblog Ashley Johnson (Ellie) interview

When did your involvement with Left Behind begin?
Ashley Johnson: Shortly after the release of The Last of Us, I went for lunch with Neil [Druckmann, Creative Director]. We sat down and he said “Okay, I’m going to tell you the story for the DLC.” I was sitting there and just completely taken in by the story; so excited. I loved the idea that it was kind of a prequel, and you’d meet a younger Ellie and find out what makes her tick. From there we got started pretty quickly on the casting for Riley.

How different is the Ellie we meet in Left Behind to the Ellie we got to know in the original The Last of Us campaign?
Ashley Johnson: You kind of get to meet the real her. She’s in the quarantine zone prior to the events of The Last of Us – it’s her and her best friend Riley – what they do and how they live their lives in this world.

You’ll definitely see a more playful side to Ellie and get to know her a bit better. You’re going to see a lot of different sides to the character that you definitely didn’t see in The Last of Us. I’m excited for people to experience it!

How does the ‘feel’ of the Left Behind campaign and the game universe differ to The Last of Us?
Ashley Johnson: It’s definitely different. It’s a little bit more ‘fun’, because you have two teenage girls going through a mall. It’s kind of like a post-pandemic version of two teenage girls hanging out. Definitely not a normal hangout! It’s very different – a little more playful.

There’s a bit of everything in there. You’re really getting a new sense of the environment. You’ll engage in combat that seems familiar from the original campaign, but there are some new touches and nuances too.

In the original campaign, Ellie mentions being bitten by one of the Infected while with Riley. Is this something we’ll learn more about?
There’s a lot you’ll find out about Ellie. You’ll just have to play it and find out!

How much of a challenge was it to hit re-set and play a younger, more innocent Ellie who’s yet to experience the traumatic events of The Last of Us?
Ashley Johnson: It was a bit of a challenge to set aside everything we’d gone through, but when Yaani got on board she was just so fun and so silly that it sort of brought out my own kid-like tendencies too. It was perfect. It’s so significant to the story because Riley is her best friend – this is a really important side of Ellie that people need to see.

What’s the relationship dynamic between Ellie and Riley? Presumably it’s very different to Ellie and Joel?
Ashley Johnson: It was interesting after working with Troy [Baker] and the Joel character for over two years and then getting back on set and working with someone totally new. The relationship with Riley is vastly different to the one with Joel – firstly, they’re best friends and secondly, they’re both teenage girls. There’s a playfulness and silliness that wasn’t necessarily there with Joel! It’s a different kind of relationship – I love it. Some of the stuff that we captured for Left Behind is my favourite stuff that we’ve done on the whole project.

How was it working with Yaani King?
Ashley Johnson: She was awesome. During casting, I got to be there to read with the different Rileys that Naughty Dog was looking at. When she came in, she was exactly who I always pictured, and who I had in my mind. She was tough, but really fun. She was perfect, and I’m glad everyone else liked her as much as I did too.

Yaani is an incredible actress and she’s formed Riley perfectly. It was like she’d been there since the beginning, which I think in some ways is very hard. The whole crew at Naughty Dog are so awesome and anyone new coming in is made to feel totally welcome, but it’s still hard to come onto a set where people have been working together for so long. She did it with such ease.

Doing motion capture for the first time must be challenging for a young actress – did you feel you had to mentor her at all?
Ashley Johnson: There was a little bit of that, which was funny, because it was like I was in Troy’s shoes. But she’s such a pro. She just put on her suit and was like “Okay, let’s do this”. She had the attitude of Riley from the get go, which was great.

Did you miss not having Troy around this time?
Ashley Johnson: I was so used to working with Troy and I think a lot of my confidence and comfort on set came from him because he’s such a pro. So when it was just going to be me and someone new I was a little nervous. But I think that helped in a way, as it felt like I was doing something new. There was a little insecurity there – “Troy’s not here and he’s the master of this!” – but I think that actually helped in some ways because I’m playing the younger version of Ellie who has her own insecurities as a teenage girl.

It’s been six months or so since The Last of Us launched. What impact has the game had on your life and career?
To this point in my life, The Last of Us is 100% my favourite thing I’ve ever worked on. You’d think working on something for two years would not be a fun thing to do, but I’ve been so blown away by the response. When we were working on it, I think we all knew we were working on something special. I just feel so fortunate that I got to be a part of it – even more so because of the response to Ellie and to what a strong female character she is.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...n-reprising-ellie-in-left-behind/#more-161959

Probably new trailer later this week?

2014-01-1318_46_28-th69y8f.png

---

With Left Behind, the very first (and perhaps only) single-player DLC created for The Last of Us, gamers will be reintroduced to one such character they came to adore – the brave, bold young girl named Ellie – and an all-new character, her trusted friend Riley.

Naughty Dog is mum about many other details about Left Behind, from the intricacies of the plot to how long players should expect spend with it before beating it. What we do know is that it will cost $14.99 when it arrives on the PlayStation Network at a still undetermined point in time. Unlike Infamous 2’s meaty spin-off DLC – Infamous: Festival of Blood – gamers will be required to have the actual The Last of Us disc to play Left Behind. Unfortunately, there’s no word yet on if it will include Trophies (though chances are it will).

More at the link

Spoiler Warning.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/your-first-look-at-the-last-of-us-single-player-dlc

Teaser video of the opening

Drencrom

Naughty Dog is mum about many other details about Left Behind, from the intricacies of the plot to how long players should expect spend with it before beating it. What we do know is that it will cost $14.99 when it arrives on the PlayStation Network at a still undetermined point in time. Unlike Infamous 2’s meaty spin-off DLC – Infamous: Festival of Blood – gamers will be required to have the actual The Last of Us disc to play Left Behind. Unfortunately, there’s no word yet on if it will include Trophies (though chances are it will).

Aw c'mon

I loved The Last of Us and so desperately want to play this, but I don't want to rebuy a PS3. :( Please let there be a definitive PS4 version, eventually.

I only bought my PS4 at launch for The Last of Us 2 (and hopefully a The Last of Us re-launch)

kmax

If I had to bet, I'd say that it's coming sometime during Q2. It's a relatively quiet window, so it's a good spot.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You know I don't really know if I care to play prequel content. The story was about moving forward, and I feel like I know all there is I need to know about Ellie. I would much rather have had something that was a side story regarding Joel's brother after Joel had finished passing through.

Oh well I still have faith in the team and I'll play it regardless.

I managed to pick up the Season Pass for this from Blackbuster during their fire sale for just over £8. Not played the MP at all, but for that price for all DLC packs it seemed too good to refuse. Look forward to more SP stuff in that universe.

stryke

I managed to pick up the Season Pass for this from Blackbuster during their fire sale for just over £8. Not played the MP at all, but for that price for all DLC packs it seemed too good to refuse. Look forward to more SP stuff in that universe.

Don't forget their making-of documentary is included in that season pass. It's quite interesting.

Oddly, Neil Druckmann has said on Twitter we should be playing the main game before playing Left Behind. Maybe .... there is some content in the DLC set chronologically after The Last of Us?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Oddly, Neil Druckmann has said on Twitter we should be playing the main game before playing Left Behind. Maybe .... there is some content in the DLC set chronologically after The Last of Us?

Or you learn about events that are supposed to be twists in the game - like
Ellie being immune.

iNvid02

regarding the DLC

... With The Last of Us, we went past our comfort zone by including fewer combat encounters than we had in our previous games. And with our DLC, we’re trying to go even further past our comfort zone. There are a couple of long stretches in the DLC where there’s no combat, and we’re trying to keep you engaged in other mechanics. It’s going to be an interesting test for us to see how people will react to it.

via IGNs narrative QA with a few devs

Kinyou

It kind of sucks that it is coming so late. When you wait so long for some DLC, that will probably not be longer than 3 hours, you're bound to feel a bit disappointed in some way.

LiK

It kind of sucks that it is coming so late. When you wait so long for some DLC, that will probably not be longer than 3 hours, you're bound to feel a bit disappointed in some way.

Making sure you still have your PS3 hooked up.

dralla

I'm still not sure how this is going to play. It takes place before the campaign, Ellie is younger and doesn't have any combat experience at this point. It would be strange if she plays like the capable character that she became.

But what do people want? If they release DLC a month or two after the game then they're accused of holding back content from the original release to try to get extra money. This is clearly a case where the developer is actually building the content after the release and there's no way that it could've ever been on the disc.

I can't wait to play it! but, i think saying "preview" is kind of a lie, since, not only they don't talk anything about the new mechanics, only that there will be different content (well, duh). They interviewed the voice actor, which didn't brought much to the table. They also didn't tell anything about campaign lenght, or the release date, not even when they are aiming to release. The only thing they "revealed" was the price of the DLC, which was already known since its reveal back in november, where I can already pre-order in the psn.

The only real new thing is the video, which is really cool and give me a feeling that this journey will show the playful ellie that joel many times during campaign shot down. Can't wait to see the chemistry between them in the screen, and the new gameplay mechanics.

edit: welp, between my post and the time i've read the preview, it was included more things, so, yay!

this video looks very next gen :eek:

or it looks exactly like the cutscenes in the main game were right?

Celegus

Making good content takes time. I could care less when it comes out in comparison to the release of the game. Rather have it done right.

Endo Punk

I'm still not sure how this is going to play. It takes place before the campaign, Ellie is younger and doesn't have any combat experience at this point. It would be strange if she plays like the capable character that she became.

“You’re going to have a little more fun, I would say,” she continued. “One thing I can talk about is what you kind of see in the teaser trailer, the carousel scene… you get to be a little more playful, you get to see a side of Ellie, along with Riley, that is a bit more carefree, not so focused on the world that they live in and the reality in which they live in, but you get to explore a playful side of Ellie that you don’t necessarily get to see. And you get to see her through Riley, who’s kind of bringing these things out of her and loosening [her] up a bit.”

Hmm it looks like you actually play as Riley who is more experienced with the world at that point in the DLC. Exciting!

NEO0MJ

I was expecting that the CD would be required but I was hoping it wouldn't be. I lent the game to a friend but he's out of country and I don't want to buy it again :(

Top Bottom