• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

kitchenmotors said:
There's a world of difference between spending money on an iOS platform game or an Android platform game as opposed to this new platform. It's a logistical nightmare because the games will be higher priced than normal mobile games, if Sony's previous PSP go and mini downloadable content are any indication.

You're also locked to using these games on this specific PSP-phone branded device and no other Android device.

why would they be higher priced for similar games? Whole idea here is that carriers pay for the devices. Problem with PSP and PS3 is that Sony is one subsidizing the cost of devices hence they need to make more money from software.

In fact Google already gives rights to manufacturers to do their own stores, they dont have to use Google Android store at all.

I would not be suprised if Playstation Android becomes an platform and that Sony might be creating "real" PSP on the same platform as well. As long as screen resolution and hardware is same, no problems there at all.

You can use iPhone games on other devices either nor you can use PS3 games on other devices, and look at them sell eh?

This makes sense for me... since I got ipad, i have almost no use for my iphone, especially since it is such an shitty phone compared to cheap bricks. I could definetly use slightly bigger screened, better camera Phone with better gaming (i hate tilting shit, i am so old) for cheap on contract.

Corto said:
From the Engadget rumor:

This totally depends on what is the business model that Sony wants to use with this platform (software sales driven or hardware sales driven).

Sony is usually more hardware than software driven. The fact that this PSP-branded phone has PSP slide-out controls doesn't give me much faith that other Android devices will run these games. Unless Sony has completely changed the way they do business with the portable market for this device, I don't have much faith.

zoku88

kitchenmotors said:
Sony is usually more hardware than software driven. The fact that this PSP-branded phone has PSP slide-out controls doesn't give me much faith that other Android devices will run these games. Unless Sony has completely changed the way they do business with the portable market for this device, I don't have much faith.
Uh, what? Nintendo is the only one that mainly profits from hardware sales. Everyone else usually relies on software royalties.

If they do put this out there--and I'm not going to dismiss it until I see it--they're going to need to clarify the status of PSP2. Does it still exist? Has the 3DS aborted it?

ElFly

Corto said:
I would love if someone could pull a Columbi egg of having a portable/mobile platform that could run android apps with an open sdk along side console-like closed game software.

Doesn't seem that hard; just put some hardware restriction, like hardware that's only accessible from signed sources, and have different signatures for regular games and downloadable ones. Surely even nintendo has this in the DSi, although it's a closed platform.

Hey, nice avatar/username.

Paznos

kitchenmotors said:
Well as of now it's branded as a Sony Ericsson phone according to what the article said.

What has me considered is the processor hopefully that's incorrect, doubt this is the PSP2 so I wonder if that would also be running Android.

spwolf said:
why would they be higher priced for similar games? Whole idea here is that carriers pay for the devices. Problem with PSP and PS3 is that Sony is one subsidizing the cost of devices hence they need to make more money from software.

Nintendo doesn't subsidize the cost of their gaming hardware. Sony doesn't have to either.

DMeisterJ

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Why would it be a huge deal? You wouldn't be able to play these "playstation android" games on any android smartphone. And if I already have an iPhone (which I will), I'm not going to break my contract and buy this thing.

A dedicated gaming psp2 would be a much better idea. And much simpler to carry out. It's not like nobody would give a crap about psp2 either. There is plenty of room in Nintendo's market. Not the case with Apple's domain.

I think that you have this flipped around a bit... There isn't much room in Nintendo's market because of how successful that they've been in selling DSes, and how software sales have trounced the PSP aside from a few standout games. In the case of mobile gaming, it's coming together nicely, and Apple is trying to corral it with Game Center on the iPhone 4, but Sony has much more experience in creating a gaming platform, while, aside from Game Center, Apple has let third parties do the work re: Gaming on the iPhone...

If done right Sony can take over a lot of the non-DS gaming market with this phone and platform...

Ignis Fatuus said:
If they do put this out there--and I'm not going to dismiss it until I see it--they're going to need to clarify the status of PSP2. Does it still exist? Has the 3DS aborted it?

It'll be a 'third pillar' :p

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
If they could somehow get most/all of the existing PSP/PSN content to run on this device and/or future PSN content was developed with this device in mind I would definitely buy it (if it exists). If they don't model it kind of like iOS, where the content can be used across multiple devices then they are idiots.

Speaking of cross-compatibility, I wish Sony would let you play your downloaded PSP games on your PS3. I might actually buy some of them.

spwolf said:

In fact Google already gives rights to manufacturers to do their own stores, they dont have to use Google Android store at all.

I would not be suprised if Playstation Android becomes an platform and that Sony might be creating "real" PSP on the same platform as well. As long as screen resolution and hardware is same, no problems there at all.

You can use iPhone games on other devices either nor you can use PS3 games on other devices, and look at them sell eh?

This makes sense for me... since I got ipad, i have almost no use for my iphone, especially since it is such an shitty phone compared to cheap bricks. I could definetly use slightly bigger screened, better camera Phone with better gaming (i hate tilting shit, i am so old) for cheap on contract.

Playstation is a premium brand, compared to something like Gameloft on iOS or Android. Sony won't be putting out a Little Big Planet game for .99, or even 4.99. The issue is that portable mobile gaming is on the cheaper side. I just don't see Sony making cheap software for this thing, that's not how they operate. Expensive software on a single device is hard to swallow for someone who let the PSP go to die before it was even released.

On the iOS platform you can use an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad for any software. The market is starting to divide a little with the iPhone 4, but there are a few different devices over many different gens that can run cheap software. I don't see the Playstation branded games as flexible in terms of cross-compatibility and price.

DarkPanda

If this is some sort of phone that can also play PSP/PS1 games, then great. If it is it's own unique platform that needs specially designed game, then, as has already been stated, it's fail. The phone market is just so different from the handheld one.

Noshino

Man said:
Google TV in Sony TV's.
YouTube uploading, XMB Google Search on PS3.
PlayStation Android?

Chromium OS Vaio's next?

There are more....

arab said:
CALLED IT

SO DID I! :lol

Uh, Sony in general has been working with Google for a while

Life with PlayStation uses Google News feeds
Sony was the first to make Chrome the default browser for their laptops/notebooks
Sony-Google ebook partnership

Wasn't Sony also one of the companies that pushed for Vevo? apparently they also wanted to release full length (more recent) movies for YouTube.

It is also rumored that there have been further meeting between Google and Sony for an even greater partnership, not only for Android, but apparently seeking Google's software experience in general....

So yah, it really wouldn't surprise me to see more Google elements on the current or future gaming consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21558705&postcount=63

Patriots7

It will not be released in October.
Sony Ericsson announced the X10 in November, it was released this Spring, and is just about to be released in the US. You seriously believe an unannounced phone is magically going to be revealed and released in 2 months, using software that is most likely not ready for primetime?

Sony Ericsson + Sony likely are working on a phone that will take advantage of SCEI's PlayStation roots. WSJ reported this earlier this year. Sony will most likely let this product download PS Classics, PSP titles (possibly).
I'll even believe some of those rumors about the fit and finish that engadget described.

But that's about it.

SE-Beast.jpg

S-E's next flagship is supposed to be a 5.5" pseudo-tablet.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The main problem I see with this is Sony extreme fear for Piracy, since every single android device get rooted.

zoku88 said:
Uh, what? Nintendo is the only one that mainly profits from hardware sales. Everyone else usually relies on software royalties.

It has nothing to do with profits. Did I say that? Nope, sorry. Do you really think Sony will send out new hardware on the market for a Playstation/Android and not want to sell as much as possible? Why should I have to buy the new PSP-phone to play Playstation games when I can just use my old Android device or different one? Sony doesn't work that way. They want to push the hardware that's specifically branded for this new market.

H_Prestige said:
Nintendo doesn't subsidize the cost of their gaming hardware. Sony doesn't have to either.

Sure they do. There's no other way Sony would have a chance in hell of competing with Nintendo.

Kuran

Banned
What we need is another PSP, not another iPhone.

Amongst all of these 'me too' iPhones and 3DS, there is room for a handheld that is aimed squarely at gaming (serious business)

Two analogs, a powerful processor, serious gamen, hopefully NO touchscreen.

If handheld gaming is going the way of touch-only games, consider me an ex-gamer. The console space has already been polluted with this motion-fad. Worst innovations ever. Have fun playing your iPhone games.

ElFly

Why would they be able to charge more for PSPhone games?

Because hopefully they'd look and play better than the run of the mill iphone game.

zoku88

kitchenmotors said:
It has nothing to do with profits. Did I say that? Nope, sorry. Do you really think Sony will send out new hardware on the market for a Playstation/Android and not want to sell as much as possible? Why should I have to buy the new PSP-phone to play Playstation games when I can just use my old Android device or different one? Sony doesn't work that way. They want to push the hardware that's specifically branded for this new market.
I have no idea what you're talking about. They want money and they do things that give them money. The use hardware to sell software to get them money. That's it.

They make hardware so that there is software that is only available on their hardware so that they can get royalty fees from that software.

Takao

Banned
Reading that thing over, I have to wonder what's up with it given the specs of "PSX-PSP". Are there mobile versions of LittleBigPlanet, and God of War in development? Because given the way the device seems to be positioned, it doesn't look like it would be able to run the PSP versions. Then there's CoD, which doesn't even have a modern PSP iteration. Weird.

Oh well, I suppose TGS and Gamescom are only weeks away. If Sony has a PSP successor in the cards, it would be some where there that they'd finally talk about it.

yurinka

jonnybryce said:
Why can't this be something that comes out in between PSP-current and PSP2? PSP has a 10 year life cycle remember?
Reading the OP, this isn't even a PSP (between PSP-PSOne), it even lacks an analog nub.

I'm ok with Android stuff, touchscreen, phone features and camera, but if Sony launches something after PSP it must be PSP BC compatible (PSP, PSP PSN, PsOne, Minis games) and more powerful than a PSP (or at least mantain all PSP features and performance).

If not, I won't buy it.

BTW I want PSP for traditional gaming in a portable handheld. Not interested in iPhone and DS like crappy casual shovelware.

tzare

Grimmy said:
I'm sorry, but all these responses are utterly baffling. It's an Android. You know, ie. touch screen?
yes. I have an android phone and love it and really like the idea of sony merging PSP & android in a phone with actual CONTROLS in a similar form factor as PSPGo or Xperia X10 mini pro. But as a PSP user i always missed a second analog and changing the only one with a touchpad or touchscreen , i just do not see it.
We will see though.

Baki

So no true PSP 2.

Fuck you Sony. You only got it half right with this.

Also, fuck non-specific programming. I like my games to take full advantage of its hardware, non of this cookie cutter shit.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear.

I'm happy with Google + Sony partnership. Android store compatibility.

Unhappy with idea of no true PSP 2, no PSP BC and the service being offered over a range of devices with differing hardware architecture.

EDIT 2: Will still get this as I need a new android phone. :lol :lol :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If it's real, and I have doubts since that specs list looks like something an Android/PSP user would dream up, then it's most likely a side-project to whatever the PSP2 ends up being. Sony-Ericsson isn't going to stop being near-autonomous and tip-toe around the gaming division's release dates and products.

Also, I so want this to be real. I've drawn like five concepts for a dedicated Android gaming handheld - it just seems like such a no brainer, I can't believe nobody except (the awesome) Hard Kernel has done it yet. I have their ODROID-S, and it's given me a taste of what Android gaming can be like.

It's time for Sony to rescue Android from the gaming ghetto.

Kuran

Banned
I want a device that can make me dream big about Peace Walker 2 and Monster Hunter Portable 4.

It has to happen.

zoku88 said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. They want money and they do things that give them money. The use hardware to sell software to get them money. That's it.

They make hardware so that there is software that is only available on their hardware so that they can get royalty fees from that software.

I wasn't talking about software or the money they make from it. I have no idea what you're going on about since my original point was that this device will be the only one Sony will let you use their PSP software on. They want to sell their own hardware to support the new platform, not just sell software for other Android hardware devices.

Mooreberg

Kuran said:
What we need is another PSP, not another iPhone.

Amongst all of these 'me too' iPhones and 3DS, there is room for a handheld that is aimed squarely at gaming (serious business)

Two analogs, a powerful processor, serious gamen, hopefully NO touchscreen.

Another product along the lines of the PSP would be nice, but I think the insane levels of piracy have ruined the chances of that happening. A product like this would more likely have its content aimed at the smartphone audience with less expensive games.

If handheld gaming is going the way of touch-only games, consider me an ex-gamer. The console space has already been polluted with this motion-fad. Worst innovations ever. Have fun playing your iPhone games.

You are severely overestimating Kinect. Games using controllers aren't going anywhere on 360 and PS3.

zoku88

kitchenmotors said:
I wasn't talking about software or the money they make from it. I have no idea what you're going on about since my original point was that this device will be the only one Sony will let you use their PSP software on. They want to sell their own hardware to support the new platform, not just sell software for other Android hardware devices.
I was merely objecting to your 'hardware-driven' sentence. The rest was fine.

Sony, if nothing else, is platform-driven. Because that's how they make money. The hardware is made for the purpose of the platform.

DieH@rd

Banned
cmon techGAF, what are the chances that they will include full PSP hardware in it?

PSPgoMbBack.jpg

PSPGo motherboard is really small...

If Sony is so gung-ho about their Google deal, instead of taking a generic SE Android smartphone and trying to shove Playstation into it, why not just make a dedicated, non-phone PSP2, with the form-factor of PSPgo, and have it run on Android OS?

So essentially a competitor to the 3DS and iPod Touch/iPad, instead of competing in the cell phone market. It would also be a more coherent device that more people could actually buy.

Noshino

Andrex said:

3DS has a very similar shape to the DS Lite, so no thank you. Can't stand the fact that I can't hold the device for long as it is far from ergonomic, playing my DS for 30 minutes hurts my hands more than playing 3 hours with arcade sticks.... :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Noshino said:
3DS has a very similar shape to the DS Lite, so no thank you. Can't stand the fact that I can't hold the device for long as it is far from ergonomic, playing my DS for 30 minutes hurts my hands more than playing 3 hours with arcade sticks.... :lol
They do sell grips for these things.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Baki said:
So no true PSP 2.

Fuck you Sony. You only got it half right with this.

Also, fuck non-specific programming. I like my games to take full advantage of its hardware, non of this cookie cutter shit.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear.

I'm happy with Google + Sony partnership. Android store compatibility.

Unhappy with idea of no true PSP 2, no PSP BC and the service being offered over a range of devices with differing hardware architecture.

EDIT 2: Will still get this as I need a new android phone. :lol :lol :lol
This is not SCE.

This is not SCE.

This is not SCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom