• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest Game You Own?

Dave Long

Banned
Please stop looking at Amazon for your pricing info. Your game is not as rare as you think it is. I don't know why that burns me up so much, but it does.

eBay is still the very best barometer of what your game is worth today.

Wubby

I think this is my rarest (unless you count an old snes proto cart I have somewhere).

Pinball! for the Magnavox Odyssey² signed by Ralph H. Baer, the inventor of the video game console. Only 30 carts were made.

Amalthea

Banned
G&W Crystal Screen Balloon Fight
Ikaruga on DC
And about 3 PAL copies of Shenmue 2 (and of course the Xbox Version
Panzer Dragoon Saga
and Ninja Cop/Ninja Five-O and Doom2 GBA
Maybe some more stuff I can't remember.

Shahed

I usually trade in my games, but at a guess I'd say Oracle of Ages/Seasons on GBC.

Don't know how rare it is, but it's the oldest game I've still got

I think this is my rarest (unless you count an old snes proto cart I have somewhere).

Pinball! for the Magnavox Odyssey² signed by Ralph H. Baer, the inventor of the video game console. Only 30 carts were made.
Ok, now that's rare.

I think you win this thread.

Machine

This thread motivated me to become part of the problem. I dug up a box in my basement that had sealed copies of four SNES games: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, SimCity, and Super Castlevania IV.
I decided to be an asshole and have them graded.

Vol5

I've got a sealed copy of Demon Souls NTSC with artbook. I've no idea of it's worth or whether it's truly rare.

pa22word

2012-09-29-180318_zpse17eaf3d.jpg

That's the enhanced edition of SS1 in there.

Oh, and I have the Baldur's Gate 2 Limited Edition. I think they only printed like 20k copies of it.

I just realized that I have a copy of the recalled version of Littlebigplanet (the one with the banned song). Is that rare? If so, how much would it be worth?

Nohar

Hmmm... I don't know if I have really rare games, but I have " Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" (PAL) and "Suikoden II" (PAL). And, yes, the last one is my precious <3

Hmmm, does "Eternal Darkness" on Gamecube counts ? I bought it for 10&#8364; or so, and never played it.

jbueno

Not anything ultra rare, but I have these two. Neither received a reprint, and they´re sought after by collectors, thus fetching relatively high prices. Got them both in 2012 for about $40 a piece.

StayDead

I really hope ClayFighter 64 1/3rd is rare, purely for the fact it's so awful that I hope nobody actually bought it.

I got it for a single pound down when I got my N64 in 2004 and my god I felt like I'd wasted my money. :/

gilljoy

Probably not very rare but I struggled to get a hold of TA: Kingdoms the Iron plague when I was younger, had to import it from the states as it was pretty much impossible to get a copy over here in the UK at the time.

Dreavus

Probably my copy of Earthbound. I dunno about the rarest but it's probably the most difficult to obtain comparing it to everything else I've got.

Propeller Arena Dreamcast.
The GD-Rom scratched as hell because me and my friends played it a lot back to the day.
I didn't even know that game never been officially released until few years after.

If only I could turn back time *sigh*

JoeFu

Banned
Sooo... I was cleaning my closet and found MMX3 for the SNES and ebay'd the price for fun because someone in here said it was rare...

WHAT THE HECK? This game goes for over 120 on ebay? Why?

X2 is rare too? What?!

I definitely remember Mega Man X3 being a rare game even when I was a kid. It was pretty late-gen and extremely expensive when it was new - like $160+. In my entire town, only one kid ever got a copy, and he was a spoiled piece of shit.

On top of that, it was never available to rent from Blockbuster, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Mega Man X2 can't be that rare. The only time I ever saw X3 in the wild was the one time I described above, but X2 was common enough that I'm pretty sure I own it.

Dave Long

Banned
I think prices on SNES stuff are pretty inflated at the moment. Games with huge print runs are going for high numbers and that makes zero sense. This stuff is kind of cyclical. Prices will probably settle down somewhat eventually.

Right now, lots of Playstation/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era stuff is cheap. That's where to buy I think if you're speculating on the future because eventually the kids from that era will be looking for their old stuff mom threw out. I really think that's part of what's pumping this SNES craze right now.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
We don't have many super rare games - but I've noticed that some of the Pokemon Mini games have been getting harder to track down - I feel lucky to have managed to grab some of the rarer ones:

We bought the three common English games (Zany Cards, Puzzle Collection and Pinball) and the units a while ago, and were lucky enough to stumble across three of the Japanese only games for 200 yen each in a recycle store in Osaka.

The rarest English title is Pokemon Tetris, where I was lucky enough to come across a very reasonable buy it now auction for a sealed copy - the English version was EU exclusive and tricky to find (although there is a copy on eBay at the moment, but it's quite pricey!)

Just need to get gold of a Pink system and the two missing Japanese games now! ^^;

SuperWes

SNK Vs Capcom - Card Fighters Clash 2 - Expand Edition - Neo Geo Pocket
F-Zero X Expansion Kit - 64DD
Sim City 64 - 64DD
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn

Probably lots more! Not sure what's rare lately

-Wes

Syriel

Propeller Arena Dreamcast.
The GD-Rom scratched as hell because me and my friends played it a lot back to the day.
I didn't even know that game never been officially released until few years after.

If only I could turn back time *sigh*

If we're talking prototypes, then I suppose my entry for the current generation systems would be Captain Blood for the Xbox 360.

Jacobbles

So just how rare is Xenoblade PAL right now?

A local store still have new (sealed) copies in stock for AU$60 and I'm thinking of picking one up to stash away somewhere. Is this a good idea?

Should I buy more and make disgusting profits on eBay or sell them to GAF users?

Wok

After reading through this thread, the boxes and the manual are something I miss with PC gaming.

Is Tetris DS rare?

Not really rare, but it`s something you don`t expect to find in a good condition with the box and the manual.
DSCN9773.jpg

I would have many games in this condition, if I had not decided to sell them fifteen years ago... Damn.

I have got this one as well.

Gamesz.jpg

- Shadow of the Colossus
- Shenmue II
- Wind Waker Limited edition with Master Quest

But you don't have Shenmue?

Y6AZ2l.jpg

Or here in bigger resolution: http://i.imgur.com/Y6AZ2.jpg

I don't know how rare FF7 Platinum can be considered.

As for my rarest game? I honestly don't know. I have been collecting games for 30 years now, but I never resell or trade any of them. I collect the experiences, and I never let them go. I'll dump a bunch of shots I took this morning on here of anything I ever got an inkling might be rare. Maybe some of you guys can lat me know what is actually rare and what isn't. I don't really have a lot if imports, or any signed copies. Just what I've picked up over the years.

baldursgatedarkalliance2.jpg
tetrisds.jpg
majorasmask.jpg
pokemonbomberman2.jpg
heartofdarkness.jpg
ff7.jpg
medalofhonorce.jpg

I have these as well. Nice collection by the way.

Pics of the games I thought were uncommon enough:

ps2rofxg.jpg
ps2frrily.jpg

Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts on PS2. Too bad they were commercial failures.

Love this game so much
AoKKMIjCQAIe0HQ.jpg

It is strange to see the logo red instead of blue.

The first MGS. I also have the demo.

I collect for the PAL PS1, so I have lots of rare games for that console.

NOso9.jpg
DTYfE.jpg
T1f1S.jpg

Breath of Fire IV, Klonoa, Wipeout, Medievil, the FFs, and the rarest in my opinion: Kurushi and Tomba!

Xtincthed

Neo Member
pff.. single rarest game.. hard to tell to be honest

but i think these do fine:
retrogamecollection7.jpg

retrogamecollection8.jpg

oh and these are not bad either:
nintendonescollection3.jpg

playstation1collection2.jpg

that actually excludes my press kit collection (about 100 kits), most of my PS1 and PS2 collection (every single rare / expensive PAL game is in there),
a huge ton of rare big box pc games, some rare AES games (metal slug 5, garou) aaaaand a hell lot more :p just check the pictures at http://www.dr-retro.com/pictures-2/ for the whole deal

ChronoX

I have these and some others though I'm not sure exactly how rare some of them are. They're all PC versions.
Raiden III
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug Collection
The King of Fighters 99 Evolution
The King of Fighters 2001
Biohazard 3 The Last Escape
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X6
Mega Man X7
Mega Man X8
Soldner-X Himmelsturmer Limited Edition