• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Zulithe
Member
(03-22-2015, 08:36 PM)
Zulithe's Avatar

Originally Posted by WadiumArcadium

Seeing Williams hasn't left the US for about ten years I can't say I'm surprised. I'm sure the score will be fantastic regardless.

Interesting, why do you suppose he hasn't left he US in 10 years? He seems like he'd be the world traveling type.
Sectorseven
Member
(03-22-2015, 09:31 PM)
Sectorseven's Avatar
I don't know music. Is one professional orchestra better than another?
Cheebo
Banned
(03-22-2015, 09:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Zulithe

Interesting, why do you suppose he hasn't left he US in 10 years? He seems like he'd be the world traveling type.

He's 84 years old and not in good health.
Tookay
Member
(03-22-2015, 09:42 PM)
Tookay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zulithe

Interesting, why do you suppose he hasn't left he US in 10 years? He seems like he'd be the world traveling type.

He's 83. Traveling isn't easy.
Zulithe
Member
(03-22-2015, 09:49 PM)
Zulithe's Avatar
And yet he's still scoring The Force Awakens despite his age. Maybe even conducting it? That can't be easy for an 80 something year-old guy either. I'm glad it's being recorded in LA though, I think that's fantastic and hopefully lead to a smoother integration of the score into the film with them working in a more integrated fashion.

It will be a hell of a sad day when we lose him.
Last edited by Zulithe; 03-22-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-22-2015, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Zulithe

And yet he's still scoring The Force Awakens despite his age. Maybe even conducting it? That can't be easy for an 80 something year-old guy either. I'm glad it's being recorded in LA though, I think that's fantastic and hopefully lead to a smoother integration of the score into the film with them working in a more integrated fashion.

It will be a hell of a sad day when we lose him.

He is definetly conducting it. And Spielberg is being forced to get a new conductor for the first time in over 30 years due to Williams health for his next film.
Ovek
Banned
(03-22-2015, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Sectorseven

I don't know music. Is one professional orchestra better than another?

Yes very much so, the London Symphony Orchestra is considered to be one of the best in the world.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-22-2015, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Ovek

Yes very much so, the London Symphony Orchestra is considered to be one of the best in the world.

To be fair he has scored countless movies in LA and it would take quite the classical music expert to be able to tell you which were LA and which were London by just watching the films.

The best part of him doing Force Awakens even if he is not well enough for 8 and 9 is many the key themes for the whole trilogy will be in place. Rey's theme will be Williams. Finns theme. etc.
SillyNonsense
Member
(03-23-2015, 07:03 AM)
SillyNonsense's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheebo

To be fair he has scored countless movies in LA and it would take quite the classical music expert to be able to tell you which were LA and which were London by just watching the films.

The best part of him doing Force Awakens even if he is not well enough for 8 and 9 is many the key themes for the whole trilogy will be in place. Rey's theme will be Williams. Finns theme. etc.

If we cant have Williams for all three, Williams for the first one, Michael Giacchino for the next two.
Doublesith
Member
(03-23-2015, 07:18 PM)
Doublesith's Avatar
Weird! There would have likely been zero Rogue One promotional material this summer, anyway.

Paramount registered and cleared the title with the Motion Picture Association of America in January, well before Walt Disney chairman-CEO Robert Iger announced the name of the Star Wars spinoff at a shareholder meeting March 12.

Sources say Disney didn't clear its title, meaning Paramount could have fought to block Disney and Lucasfilm from using it at all, even though Rogue One won't open until Dec. 16, 2016, long after Rogue Nation has come and gone.

Instead, the two studios quickly worked out a deal whereby Disney will refrain from referring to Rogue One this summer in any promotional materials aimed at the general consumer (an exception is a Star Wars fan event in April).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-gets-a-783531
Migrant
Member
(03-24-2015, 01:20 AM)
Migrant's Avatar
I finally caved and bought the original trilogy on blu-ray. I held out this long for news on an unedited version, but I just don't think it is going to happen. Of course with my luck they'll announce something on May 4th. I guess you win, George.
JDHarbs
Member
(03-24-2015, 01:40 AM)
JDHarbs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Migrant

I finally caved and bought the original trilogy on blu-ray. I held out this long for news on an unedited version, but I just don't think it is going to happen. Of course with my luck they'll announce something on May 4th. I guess you win, George.

Best part about picking up the Blu-Rays is you can legally download the despecialized editions.
Lanhalt
Banned
(03-24-2015, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Migrant

I finally caved and bought the original trilogy on blu-ray. I held out this long for news on an unedited version, but I just don't think it is going to happen. Of course with my luck they'll announce something on May 4th. I guess you win, George.

Yeah, this is Disney, if there is a demand, they will do it. In fact I seem to remember reading an article saying it was possible in the future. But since the Fox has the right of episode V and VI till 2020, and of episode IV forever (well I'm pretty sure they would find an arrangement), that's not for tomorrow.
Last edited by Lanhalt; 03-24-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Migrant
Member
(03-24-2015, 02:08 AM)
Migrant's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDHarbs

Best part about picking up the Blu-Rays is you can legally download the despecialized editions.

Right....about that....

Originally Posted by Lanhalt

Yeah, this is Disney, if there is a demand, they will do it. In fact I seem to remember reading an article saying it was possible in the future. But since the Fox has the right of episode V and VI till 2020, and of episode IV forever (well I'm pretty sure they would find an arrangement), that's not for tomorrow.

Yeah, I read Fox having the rights not too long ago. That's why I decided to go ahead and buy it. I just can't see Disney and Fox coming to some kind of agreement for releasing them.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(03-24-2015, 12:30 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lanhalt

Yeah, this is Disney, if there is a demand, they will do it. In fact I seem to remember reading an article saying it was possible in the future. But since the Fox has the right of episode V and VI till 2020, and of episode IV forever (well I'm pretty sure they would find an arrangement), that's not for tomorrow.

There was a rumour that they would release one this year before VII. Probably bull but I can hope.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-24-2015, 02:19 PM)
Disney can't release the films. Fox owns I-III and V-VI through 2020. And owns IV period. they'd ask for a shit ton of money from Disney since the home video rights to these are so lucrative. And Disney just can't wait them out for 5 years since being unable to release IV would be a huge mess. If Disney bought them we would know about it. It would be a very sizable transaction.

There has been no credible rumors of any such "original edition" releases yet.

The home video rights to the first 6 movies is a big mess and the current fox bluray release is all we will have until Fox and Disney work something out which there has been no indications of having happened.

Fox wants to rank in the money from sales of the original movies thanks for VII and would want to wait out this release before entertaining selling to Disney I suspect.

Look how long it took Fox and WB to come to an agreement on the 60s Batman show release after all.

If you want something other than the Bluray editions you got to go with the Harmy edits and burn them to your own bluray until the mess is worked out, which could take years.
Last edited by Cheebo; 03-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.
JDHarbs
Member
(03-24-2015, 08:58 PM)
JDHarbs's Avatar
I need more 2D animated Star Wars
Jables Swan
Member
(03-24-2015, 11:33 PM)
Jables Swan's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDHarbs

I need more 2D animated Star Wars

Looks like an extended version of what we saw a few years back. Fantastic.
SillyNonsense
Member
(03-25-2015, 01:10 AM)
SillyNonsense's Avatar
So yesterday I caught a stray reference to TFA being in 3D. I thought...huh?
Searched Google and found a few references to this movie being post-converted. Not many, though. Doesn't seem to be something too advertised.

Am I just stupid? I had no idea this was going to be a 3D release. Must have missed it.
Cross-Section
Member
(03-25-2015, 01:22 AM)
Cross-Section's Avatar
I saw a 3D version of the trailer at a release screening of Exodus: Gods and Kings; it was fairly unremarkable overall (fitting a post-convert), but the Falcon shot was cool.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-25-2015, 03:05 AM)
Yep, post conversion. Film was intentionally filmed very old school, on film rather than digital, minimal CGI, heavy on location shooting. A bit ironic it is getting a post-conversion release. But oh well, thats the nature of the box-office.
Zulithe
Member
(03-25-2015, 03:58 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
Ack! Come on Topps you slow asses... get that Star Wars Cards app on Android already!

I keep seeing people post cool 'rare' cards from the Topps app and I want in on that action.


Speaking of apps... grab the Star Wars Celebration app which was recently updated with all the scheduling info for this huge April event.

Gonna be a lot of great news coming out of it this year. And with probably the best slate of guests I've ever seen at Celebration. Wish I could be there.
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(03-25-2015, 04:48 AM)
ghostmind's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zulithe

Ack! Come on Topps you slow asses... get that Star Wars Cards app on Android already!

I keep seeing people post cool 'rare' cards from the Topps app and I want in on that action.


Speaking of apps... grab the Star Wars Celebration app which was recently updated with all the scheduling info for this huge April event.

Gonna be a lot of great news coming out of it this year. And with probably the best slate of guests I've ever seen at Celebration. Wish I could be there.


Some of my inserts...


I wish I could be at Celebration as well this year. Got to try for next year.
Jables Swan
Member
(03-25-2015, 04:51 AM)
Jables Swan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ghostmind

Some of my inserts...




I wish I could be at Celebration as well this year. Got to try for next year.

I need to get some cards to trade you for those insert dupes. I've got 3 or 4 inserts I think.
Zulithe
Member
(03-25-2015, 05:51 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
Looking great ghostmind :)

Times like this I wish I had an iPad... but mostly just peeved that these devs have no concept of a simultaneous launch. Ugh.


In other news, Star Wars live action TV show is starting to hit the rumor scene again...

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/03...ventually.html

Rumors are gonna rumor, but let's face it... with Disney now owning Star Wars, this is definitely happening at some point.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(03-25-2015, 11:19 AM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar
Damn, digital trading card envy. Hurry up and get this on Android!
Poodlestrike
Member
(03-25-2015, 01:11 PM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar
Probably just going to put Star Wars characters into Once Upon a Time.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-25-2015, 02:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Poodlestrike

Probably just going to put Star Wars characters into Once Upon a Time.

No chance at all. Lucasfilm operates as an independent subsidiary of Disney. Not part of ABC Studios or Walt Disney Studios. Much like Marvel or ESPN. If they are to appear as actual characters on a show it will be a Lucasfilm show.
Last edited by Cheebo; 03-25-2015 at 02:42 PM.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(03-25-2015, 02:43 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheebo

Disney can't release the films. Fox owns I-III and V-VI through 2020. And owns IV period. they'd ask for a shit ton of money from Disney since the home video rights to these are so lucrative. And Disney just can't wait them out for 5 years since being unable to release IV would be a huge mess. If Disney bought them we would know about it. It would be a very sizable transaction.

There has been no credible rumors of any such "original edition" releases yet.

The home video rights to the first 6 movies is a big mess and the current fox bluray release is all we will have until Fox and Disney work something out which there has been no indications of having happened.

Fox wants to rank in the money from sales of the original movies thanks for VII and would want to wait out this release before entertaining selling to Disney I suspect.

Look how long it took Fox and WB to come to an agreement on the 60s Batman show release after all.

If you want something other than the Bluray editions you got to go with the Harmy edits and burn them to your own bluray until the mess is worked out, which could take years.

AFAIK the blocker to releasing an 'original original trilogy' was Lucas, not Fox. Whether the rights sit with Fox or Disney, they don't sit with Lucas so if there is money to be made, a deal can be done.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-25-2015, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

AFAIK the blocker to releasing an 'original original trilogy' was Lucas, not Fox. Whether the rights sit with Fox or Disney, they don't sit with Lucas so if there is money to be made, a deal can be done.

That was the block pre-Disney, yeah. Since Lucasfilm and Fox were very close and key partners and Fox would put out anything Lucasfilm would hand them pretty much. Lucas didn't want them out.

Now post-Disney sale the rights to the films are messy, Fox owns the old ones still, Disney owns any new ones.

It doesn't help that Fox and Disney historically do not get along well all. Fox is certain to demand quite a lot of money if they were to hand over rights to Disney. Deals between studios on home releases has always been a very messy process.

And Fox can't just release an original OT boxset on their own despite owning the home video rights. They do not have a remastered original trilogy print to release on bluray. Lucasfilm would have to provide them with one. And Lucasfilm being under Disney is not going to be playing nice with Fox like that anymore. Disney would make them sit on it till Disney has the home video rights.

A deal will eventually happen of course, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on Fox buckling and taking the buyout from Disney anytime soon. They are going to probably try and squeeze out what money they can make off the 6 films they own in the lead up to TFA as they can first. I'd love for it to be soon, but if it were we'd hear something by now from a credible source I would think. I hope I am wrong though.
Last edited by Cheebo; 03-25-2015 at 02:54 PM.
phazedplasma
Member
(03-25-2015, 07:23 PM)
phazedplasma's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

AFAIK the blocker to releasing an 'original original trilogy' was Lucas, not Fox. Whether the rights sit with Fox or Disney, they don't sit with Lucas so if there is money to be made, a deal can be done.

Money is already being made though. I seriously can't see the vocal minority of people who want a official de-specialized edition factoring into monetary discussions with disney+fox.

Disney is about to make more money the they know what to do with off the new trilogy and spinoffs.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(03-26-2015, 03:16 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar
Making Star Wars reporting that Ben Mendelsohn looks to be joining Rogue One.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/03/be...ars-rogue-one/
JDHarbs
Member
(03-26-2015, 08:04 PM)
JDHarbs's Avatar
Cross-posting

Battlefront novel possibly incoming?

https://twitter.com/swbooks/status/580860983989665792
Last edited by JDHarbs; 03-26-2015 at 08:06 PM.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(03-26-2015, 09:39 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar
Looks like it's possible one of the characters from the upcoming Lords of the Sith novel, Delian Mors, could appear in Rogue One and possibly star in a live action TV series.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/03/is...-in-rogue-one/
Zulithe
Member
(03-26-2015, 11:39 PM)
Zulithe's Avatar

Originally Posted by WadiumArcadium

Looks like it's possible one of the characters from the upcoming Lords of the Sith novel, Delian Mors, could appear in Rogue One and possibly star in a live action TV series.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/03/is...-in-rogue-one/

I like it and hope it's true.

Not far fetched at all... this is one of the major goals of the story group, to help tie all these books, comics, video games, movies and tv shows together.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-27-2015, 03:24 PM)
You know, just thinking about it. George Lucas kept all of the 2 billion in stock he got from the Disney deal. He is the second largest owner of Disney.

He actually has a pretty sizable sway over Disney as a whole if he ever chose to throw around his power there.
Zombine
Member
(03-27-2015, 07:50 PM)
Zombine's Avatar
Oh god this Topps card game is pointless fun. I have 3 different Force Awakens cards so far!
Metalmarc
Member
(03-27-2015, 08:52 PM)
Metalmarc's Avatar
It's that time of the week again,

This weeks Star Wars news

http://youtu.be/LrlfcwEsJlI
WadiumArcadium
Member
(03-27-2015, 09:30 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar
Vader #3 was good fun. Really liked Aphra and evil C3PO/R2.
Jables Swan
Member
(03-27-2015, 11:10 PM)
Jables Swan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zombine

Oh god this Topps card game is pointless fun. I have 3 different Force Awakens cards so far!

The digital one yeah? Add me on it and I'll send my dupes your way. JABLESWAN
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(03-27-2015, 11:56 PM)
ghostmind's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jables Swan

The digital one yeah? Add me on it and I'll send my dupes your way. JABLESWAN



Add me as well GHOSTMIND.

It would be nice to get a GAF community of card traders going.
Zulithe
Member
(03-28-2015, 12:48 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
Okay it seems that the Topps app uses some sort of account system (thank the Maker!) so I signed up on my old iPhone until the Android version is out. Yippie!

I'm Zulith in the app. Anyone on GAF feel free to add me! I'm going to buy some packs now and hope to trade :)

Adding you guys, Jables and ghostmind!
Last edited by Zulithe; 03-28-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Jables Swan
Member
(03-28-2015, 01:15 AM)
Jables Swan's Avatar
I'm happy to help trade any of my dupes to help fellow gaffers get complete sets. Just send me offers. :)
Zulithe
Member
(03-28-2015, 01:18 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
Thanks... I will see what shape I'm in after I've opened some more packs... it seems pretty easy to get credits to buy packs with too, you can just watch a bunch of ads over and over

the rewards vary a LOT though, some 30 second ads give you over 1000 some give you barely 100

*edit*

NICE! I just got two The Force Awakens cards in one pack! The stormtroopers and the Falcon.
Last edited by Zulithe; 03-28-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Tapejara
Member
(03-28-2015, 12:31 PM)
Tapejara's Avatar
Anyone here reading/read the Tarkin novel? I'm about five chapters in so far, and it's not really clicking with me. I thought I'd like it because I enjoyed Darth Plagueis; but the writing is pretty poor so far. I'll stick with it, just a bit disappointed.
Zombine
Member
(03-28-2015, 12:45 PM)
Zombine's Avatar
I have no idea how to add anyone on the Topps app.

Edit: figured it out. I'm ZOMBINE

Edit 2: Lol at these trades for my red Boba Fett.
Last edited by Zombine; 03-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-28-2015, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Tapejara

Anyone here reading/read the Tarkin novel? I'm about five chapters in so far, and it's not really clicking with me. I thought I'd like it because I enjoyed Darth Plagueis; but the writing is pretty poor so far. I'll stick with it, just a bit disappointed.

I just don't think Tarkin is an interesting enough character to warrant a whole book. I love James Luceno I just couldn't finish Tarkin.
Dpp1978
Junior Member
(03-28-2015, 04:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheebo

Disney can't release the films. Fox owns I-III and V-VI through 2020. And owns IV period. they'd ask for a shit ton of money from Disney since the home video rights to these are so lucrative. And Disney just can't wait them out for 5 years since being unable to release IV would be a huge mess. If Disney bought them we would know about it. It would be a very sizable transaction.

The only Star Wars film Fox ever owned (as in held the copyright to) was the original. Lucas retained the "worthless" sequel and merchandising rights in exchange for a lower directing fee. Heads rolled at Fox in the aftermath of that one.

Empire and Jedi were only distributed by Fox and were financed by Lucas independently (almost bankrupting him in the process). They could just as easily have been distributed elsewhere (as the Clone Wars movie was), but Fox was able to offer some additional retained rights to sweeten the pot.

In the negotiation for distribution of the Prequel Trilogy the copyright to Star Wars Episode 4 was assigned to Lucasfilm and distribution of Empire and Jedi was extended. Fox retained distribution of Episode 4 in perpetuity.

There has been no credible rumors of any such "original edition" releases yet.

The home video rights to the first 6 movies is a big mess and the current fox bluray release is all we will have until Fox and Disney work something out which there has been no indications of having happened.

It is no different than it has been for the last 15 plus years. In the negotiations mentioned above there was a disparity of power in Lucasfilm's favour: something very unusual as it is usually the other way around.

It would surprise me if, given Lucas' reputation as a control freak where his work was concerned, the contracts drawn up did not favour Lucasfilm. Especially in regard to the balance of power as to who has control over when and how these films are distributed. Remember the DVD and later the Blu ray releases came late in these formats' respective lives. They are still not available to stream or buy online as far as I'm aware. I have little doubt Fox would have already put them out there if it were up to them.

Any arrangements would have transferred to Disney and as Lucasfilm is an independent satellite studio, like Marvel, I don't see how the relationship would have changed materially.

Fox wants to rank in the money from sales of the original movies thanks for VII and would want to wait out this release before entertaining selling to Disney I suspect.

They would still get, what is essentially, free money from a re-release, and Disney/Lucasfilm would benefit from cross promotional benefits. It is win - win. The only problem would be studio politics, but with a lot of money potentially on the table for both sides I doubt it would be insurmountable. Money always wins out in the end.

Look how long it took Fox and WB to come to an agreement on the 60s Batman show release after all.

But that is comparing a relatively niche product, and one with far more complex rights issues, to one with mass market appeal: especially given the upcoming marketing storm that is the build up to Episode 7.

If you want something other than the Bluray editions you got to go with the Harmy edits and burn them to your own bluray until the mess is worked out, which could take years.

Harmy's edits are good for what they are, but are far from seamless. A proper restoration of the original cuts from early generation materials would render them redundant.

There is at least one private restoration being undertaken from original release prints which will be far better. But even this will be inferior to one based on negatives and early generation pre-print materials.

Everything I have posted here is purely speculation, based on educated deduction, much as (I suspect) yours was. However I have come to a different conclusion. I suppose all this really proves is none of us have the slightest idea what is going on behind the scenes, but I appear to be more optimistic than you are.

I guess we'll find out who is right soon enough.
Cheebo
Banned
(03-28-2015, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Dpp1978

The only Star Wars film Fox ever owned (as in held the copyright to) was the original. Lucas retained the "worthless" sequel and merchandising rights in exchange for a lower directing fee. Heads rolled at Fox in the aftermath of that one.

Empire and Jedi were only distributed by Fox and were financed by Lucas independently (almost bankrupting him in the process). They could just as easily have been distributed elsewhere (as the Clone Wars movie was), but Fox was able to offer some additional retained rights to sweeten the pot.

In the negotiation for distribution of the Prequel Trilogy the copyright to Star Wars Episode 4 was assigned to Lucasfilm and distribution of Empire and Jedi was extended. Fox retained distribution of Episode 4 in perpetuity.

It has been officially documented when the sale happened that Fox retains ownership of all home video rights to I-III, and V & V through 2020 and IV "forever".

I hope Fox sold the right to Disney but I see no reason to assume that has happened until we get an actual announcement.
Last edited by Cheebo; 03-28-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Dpp1978
Junior Member
(03-28-2015, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheebo

It has been officially documented when the sale happened that Fox retains ownership of all home video rights to I-III, and V & V through 2020 and IV "forever".

I hope Fox sold the right to Disney but I see no reason to assume that has happened until we get an actual announcement.

Yes it is known that Fox holds the distribution rights, as you have said. I agree that isn't speculation.

However stating what that means to any future release is absolutely speculative.

We don't know the terms of the distribution arrangements, although judging from past release patterns it seems clear to me that Lucasfilm has, at the very least, the right to veto release.

I believe that, given Lucas' history with the studio system, he would have done everything in his power to make sure he has control over when, where and how his films are released. He certainly had sufficient leverage. This is borne out by the fact that all the Star Wars releases since the late 1990s have been prepared in house at Lucasfilm.

As to Fox selling Disney the rights that is absolutely unnecessary. Film companies work together all the time to distribute films and I can not see why this would be any different. Disney holds distribution rights to Die Hard 3 in the UK, but it still appears in Die Hard box-sets put out by Fox. It just has a Touchstone logo rather than a Fox logo on that film's case.

Fox would be paid its distribution fee and Disney would get its (probably much larger) share of the proceeds. Both sides make money, and at very little cost to Fox.

Why would they leave free money on the table?

There are a number of reasons that the original cuts might not be released but I feel that the Fox issue is one of the lesser ones.

Thread Tools