• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-19-2017, 04:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Kevtones

What's the story on Browning's shoulder? I know you guys had a great freshman (Rapp was it?) out there. Still, it hurts losing 3 core and great players like that. The schedule lines up pretty well for y'all to break people in. I think your offense improves despite the Loss of Ross though.

Labrum was the rumor. Six weeks. Should be fine for spring but there's no need to rush him back, not like he's going to lose his job.

They were redshirting some dudes in the secondary that would have played this year otherwise.

Agreed on the offense. Pettis comes back, we're adding a stud RB to the Gaskin/Coleman combo, Jake is a junior, we'll finally have a big receiver in frosh Ty Jones.
Kevtones
(01-19-2017, 05:47 AM)

Originally Posted by cdyhybrid

Labrum was the rumor. Six weeks. Should be fine for spring but there's no need to rush him back, not like he's going to lose his job.

They were redshirting some dudes in the secondary that would have played this year otherwise.

Agreed on the offense. Pettis comes back, we're adding a stud RB to the Gaskin/Coleman combo, Jake is a junior, we'll finally have a big receiver in frosh Ty Jones.

When did the injury occur? Was that known?

Jake needs better pocket presence. He struggles noticeably with pressure and while I think part of that is his height (a very small part), the key to their success next year is upfront. Losing Ross might hurt more than it seems right now due to his unique speed/crisp route running. He stole the show frequently and was responsible for quite a few TDs he didn't score just by scheme. Think they need someone to become that number one. Pettis might be it though he is a great #2 as he proved this year.

I think you'll know pretty early if it's going to be a similar season for them. Their first 'real test' might be at Colorado or OSU. The schedule seems awfully easy at the moment...
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-19-2017, 05:56 AM)

When did the injury occur? Was that known?

Jake needs better pocket presence. He struggles noticeably with pressure and while I think part of that is his height (a very small part), the key to their success next year is upfront. Losing Ross might hurt more than it seems right now due to his unique speed/crisp route running. He stole the show frequently and was responsible for quite a few TDs he didn't score just by scheme. Think they need someone to become that number one. Pettis might be it though he is a great #2 as he proved this year.

I think you'll know pretty early if it's going to be a similar season for them. Their first 'real test' might be at Colorado or OSU. The schedule seems awfully easy at the moment...

ASU game. It was suspected by some but not confirmed until after the season. Pete doesn't talk about injuries unless it's to confirm someone's out for the season.

Yeah, OL needs to play better, but they only lose one starter from last season. They have NFL talent at both tackle spots, so they should be in good shape there. Whether they'll be good enough to handle lines as good as USC/Bama, we'll see. They won't really get tested like that until they play UCLA or Utah though.

It's a very favorable schedule.
Kevtones
(01-19-2017, 07:48 AM)

ASU game. It was suspected by some but not confirmed until after the season. Pete doesn't talk about injuries unless it's to confirm someone's out for the season.

Yeah, OL needs to play better, but they only lose one starter from last season. They have NFL talent at both tackle spots, so they should be in good shape there. Whether they'll be good enough to handle lines as good as USC/Bama, we'll see. They won't really get tested like that until they play UCLA or Utah though.

It's a very favorable schedule.

He looked pretty average against WSU and Colorado. Thought he played okay but others led UW to the wins in those games. Comparatively I thought he hung in there pretty well against Bama even though they couldn't get the ball moving. His demeanor didn't change and his composure was on point (as I saw).

An unsung strength of UW was their motions and line changes. So many out of position defensive assignments against the Huskies. That's great design and talent to execute.

Anyway, Fuck the Huskies.
andycapps
(01-19-2017, 01:53 PM)

Yeah, it was one of hell of a first day fuck up. The fact Oregon's former S&C coach was basically on call tells you how quick it was. I think Taggart keeps him unless there's revolt or something else happens. Most the players responded favorably to the workouts on SM.

He may be a decent coach. I'd imagine there's a very fine line between trying to initiate a new, tougher mindset and push players to fight through pain and adversity while making sure you're not pushing them too hard.

Think anytime this question comes up, universities would be wise to err on the side of player safety due to potential litigation. An offseason is a long time to get stronger.
GoldenEye 007
(01-19-2017, 04:19 PM)
UCF - Pitt signed a home-home series. Coming to UCF in 2018, then Heinz in 2019.
Randolph Freelander
(01-19-2017, 04:21 PM)
Pitt, what are you even doing. You're supposed to do a 2-1 (home-home-away) deal with mid-majors and then cancel before going to their place.
GoldenEye 007
(01-19-2017, 05:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Randolph Freelander

Pitt, what are you even doing. You're supposed to do a 2-1 (home-home-away) deal with mid-majors and then cancel before going to their place.

It's true, you know.
Purple Cheeto
(01-19-2017, 05:38 PM)

So USC doesn't have a bye next season until the week before the Pac-12 title game.

This was the Pac 12's "compromise" for letting USC avoid a Thursday night game. Also they have 7 home games and 5 road games.
GoldenEye 007
(01-19-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Purple Cheeto

This was the Pac 12's "compromise" for letting USC avoid a Thursday night game. Also they have 7 home games and 5 road games.

Apparently extending the season to 14 weeks is going through the process now. So all teams would have two bye weeks throughout the season.
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-19-2017, 05:43 PM)

Originally Posted by GoldenEye 007

Apparently extending the season to 14 weeks is going through the process now. So all teams would have two bye weeks throughout the season.

But I thought we couldn't extend the season for another round of playoffs because the season was too long already
GoldenEye 007
(01-19-2017, 07:30 PM)

But I thought we couldn't extend the season for another round of playoffs because the season was too long already

Well it would be the same amount of games and it would start earlier in August - which is like hotter for everyone lol.

But yeah I get your point. A competent playoff system is certainly possible.
mre
Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
(01-19-2017, 10:15 PM)
Army is no longer sponsoring a high school all-star game (after 2018): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ame-after-2018
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-20-2017, 04:36 AM)
Ted Miller: Rise of Washington, USC makes for a very happy Pac-12

Edit: Kiffikins making moves:

Last edited by cdyhybrid; 01-20-2017 at 05:26 AM.
FloydtheFathead
(01-20-2017, 01:00 PM)

Ted Miller: Rise of Washington, USC makes for a very happy Pac-12

Edit: Kiffikins making moves:

Is that Tua's brother or cousin?
mre
(01-20-2017, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by FloydtheFathead

Is that Tua's brother or cousin?

This one is his brother. His cousin plays defense, I think, and is either a 2017 or 2018 prospect.
Draxal
(01-20-2017, 03:10 PM)
On mobile ATM. but big ten network is expanding to league of legends.

We can go to gaming OT now.
mre
(01-20-2017, 03:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Draxal

Lonestar
(01-20-2017, 03:31 PM)

Today's already done, no need to go overkill on it.
MugiwaraCole
(01-20-2017, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by @brucefeldmancfb

Ex #Maryland & #Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley will be a co-OC at #Alabama, source tells @FoxSports:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...dinator-012017

The plot thickens.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(01-20-2017, 04:36 PM)
GT posted some info on the kids that got early acceptance.

I'll echo what some other GT fans have said that it's amazing that we can even compete at the D1 level in sports with this.
Purple Cheeto
(01-20-2017, 07:27 PM)

Originally Posted by MugiwaraCole

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...dinator-012017

The plot thickens.

Didn't Locksley get fired for his involvement in a scandal? Alabama really is a home for wayward coaches.
perfectchaos007
(01-20-2017, 07:48 PM)

I wonder if video gaming will one day become an NCAA team sport. They already air the professional gaming competitions on ESPN
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(01-20-2017, 09:01 PM)
https://twitter.com/seanjwagner/stat...69028212293632

Randolph Freelander
(01-20-2017, 09:02 PM)
Cyan, please explain.
Cyan
Red
(01-20-2017, 09:05 PM)

Cyan, please explain.

It's Cal.
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-20-2017, 09:07 PM)
Not everyone likes football. Everyone likes Cheesy Bean and Rice burritos.
Monroeski
(01-20-2017, 09:12 PM)

Originally Posted by XiaNaphryz

https://twitter.com/seanjwagner/stat...69028212293632

The picture isn't even the guy they hired, it's their old coach. :jnc
Randolph Freelander
(01-20-2017, 09:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Cyan

It's Cal.

Satisfactory.

Both of these are lies.
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-20-2017, 09:16 PM)
Sounds like USC's bag men got to Marlon Tuipulotu.
Sirpopopop
(01-20-2017, 09:29 PM)

Cyan, please explain.

Why would someone from Louisiana know anything about Cal?
perfectchaos007
(01-20-2017, 10:14 PM)
If a tree was saved the day of Cal's coaching hire, the tree would be the cover story
andycapps
(01-21-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

GT posted some info on the kids that got early acceptance.

I'll echo what some other GT fans have said that it's amazing that we can even compete at the D1 level in sports with this.

Without the triple option, GT wouldn't be competing at the D1 level. Although, the triple option is why you're getting such bad recruits so _(ツ)_/

About the new Cal coach being considered less newsworthy than a Tacl Bell opening, I mean, do you think most people in that town care about college football?
Last edited by andycapps; 01-21-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(01-21-2017, 02:02 AM)

Originally Posted by andycapps

Without the triple option, GT wouldn't be competing at the D1 level. Although, the triple option is why you're getting such bad recruits so _(ツ)_/

We can't get recruits either way. Current staff won't even look at a kid who doesn't have a 1100/1600 on the SAT minimum.

Avg profile for the first wave of kids for 2017 is 1468 with 11 AP/IB courses and all As. If we didn't already a football no way would we be D1 if we were just starting out.
Purple Cheeto
(01-21-2017, 02:39 AM)

About the new Cal coach being considered less newsworthy than a Tacl Bell opening, I mean, do you think most people in that town care about college football?

It's the student paper that ran on a Tuesday when the hiring happened on a weekend and Monday was a holiday.

Also the Taco Bell has booze.
andycapps
(01-21-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

We can't get recruits either way. Current staff won't even look at a kid who doesn't have a 1100/1600 on the SAT minimum.

Avg profile for the first wave of kids for 2017 is 1468 with 11 AP/IB courses and all As. If we didn't already a football no way would we be D1 if we were just starting out.

Stanford is a better academic school than GT and they have 3 5 stars and 4 4 stars. Kids can't take official visits there until they qualify academically. So I don't buy the academics excuse, at least not fully.

It's a combination of things. There's no reason for smart kids that are good recruits to not consider GT if they have something to offer athletically. Like Harbaugh or not but he made Stanford a place that smart kids that were talented wanted to go to.

Leonard Warner is a LB that's deciding between Stanford, UGA, and Bama. He's already been on an official to Stanford so he's already academically qualified. Think he's actually going on an official to GT this weekend. Would be shocked if he went to GT tbh because if he's interested in football and education, he should go to Stanford.

A Taco Bell with booze? We need those everywhere.
Last edited by andycapps; 01-21-2017 at 02:47 AM.
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-21-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Purple Cheeto

It's the student paper that ran on a Tuesday when the hiring happened on a weekend and Monday was a holiday.

Also the Taco Bell has booze.

Newspaper redeemed
truly101
I got grudge sucked!
(01-21-2017, 02:59 AM)
I'm thinking that Duke may inch closer to being a football school after this MBB season is over and they've been eliminated on the first round by Monmouth.

Still after a 4-8 campaign, there is reason for optimism. Daniel Jones seems like the reel deal, and next season he might have some actual talent at WR to help him out. And while losing almost every important senior to injury last year more or less deep sixed the season, that gave a lot of the younger players a chance to start whereas they'd just now be moving to that position for spring training.

The recruiting class sits at 37, after losing Sears and Ellis Brooks so not too bad all things considered. I still have concerns about the staff but a couple of them were 1st years at that spot as well. 6-7 should be the floor here I think
Slo
Call 911!
(01-21-2017, 03:45 PM)

football > burritos
Sirpopopop
(01-21-2017, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Slo

football > burritos

RUTGERS NORTH REPLIES!
Slo
Call 911!
(01-21-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Sirpopopop

RUTGERS NORTH REPLIES!

I love that your way of insulting me to to call my football team a mirror image of your football team.
mre
(01-21-2017, 04:35 PM)

Stanford is a better academic school than GT and they have 3 5 stars and 4 4 stars. Kids can't take official visits there until they qualify academically. So I don't buy the academics excuse, at least not fully.

It's a combination of things. There's no reason for smart kids that are good recruits to not consider GT if they have something to offer athletically. Like Harbaugh or not but he made Stanford a place that smart kids that were talented wanted to go to.

Leonard Warner is a LB that's deciding between Stanford, UGA, and Bama. He's already been on an official to Stanford so he's already academically qualified. Think he's actually going on an official to GT this weekend. Would be shocked if he went to GT tbh because if he's interested in football and education, he should go to Stanford.

A Taco Bell with booze? We need those everywhere.

Never heard of the kid, but anyone in his position would be an idiot not to go to Stanford.
Slo
Call 911!
(01-21-2017, 04:42 PM)
I can see why academic standards would be less of an impediment for Stanford than for GT. The perception of Stanford as a Silicon Valley Ivy is something that GT just can't compete with, especially for anyone not interested in Engineering/CompSci, which is what GT's strongest at.

Anybody who qualifies for both would be nuts to choose GT over Stanford.
Last edited by Slo; 01-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.
andycapps
(01-21-2017, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by mre

Never heard of the kid, but anyone in his position would be an idiot not to go to Stanford.

Yep. I would expect him to sign there. Why wouldn't he? Rhetorical question.
Last edited by andycapps; 01-21-2017 at 07:35 PM.
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-22-2017, 01:11 AM)
Looks like Jimmy Lake will be back this season after turning down the Cal DC job.

Great news for us, but he won't be here much longer regardless.
andycapps
(01-22-2017, 01:50 PM)
Auburn has a new OC. Chip Lindsey from Arizona State. As you might guess, he is part of the Auburn Family as he was an offensive analyst there in 2013. He's also had time as HC at Lassiter High in GA, Hoover with Rush Propst, SMU, Troy, and now Arizona State.
Last edited by andycapps; 01-22-2017 at 01:55 PM.
FloydtheFathead
(01-22-2017, 06:55 PM)
Oregon new TE Coach charged with a DUI
cdyhybrid
Banned
(01-22-2017, 07:10 PM)
Great start for the new staff at Nike U.
andycapps
(01-22-2017, 07:54 PM)

Originally Posted by FloydtheFathead

Oregon new TE Coach charged with a DUI

He is now in the process of being fired. Word of another adult in the car? Maybe his wife, maybe something else going on here?
Last edited by andycapps; 01-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.
ryseing
(01-22-2017, 11:02 PM)
I've been playing some NCAA again to help my cravings. Defense in that game is horrendous. I'm playing on freshman and I'm still routinely getting blown up for huge passing plays.

Sucks that it's the last one.