• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

3N16MA
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:13 AM)
3N16MA's Avatar
No need to watch the SB.

Falcons win.

On to the offseason.
Pepiope
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:14 AM)
Pepiope's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

No need to watch the SB.

Falcons win.

On to the offseason.

And the commercials will be on YouTube before the game.
Elfforkusu
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:16 AM)
Elfforkusu's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

No need to watch the SB.

Falcons win.

On to the offseason.

Well, as per my policy of ignoring the playoffs the round after the Packers lose, yes, no need to watch the SB.

Hope the Falcons do it, but in the age of trump I think we know how this ends.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(01-23-2017, 07:17 AM)
Bronx-Man's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pepiope

A fan named Bronx man who roots for the Cowboys definitely wouldn't deal with that torture. He'd just become a Pats fan.

You disgust me. Thinking I would bringing shame upon myself like that. The goddamn Pats. You oughta be banned for saying some shit like that.

I dealt with losing to Eli when Tony & T.O. were on top of the world. It was hard as hell, but I dealt with it. Meanwhile you punks probably threw batteries at McNabb and Santa Claus.
Pepiope
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:36 AM)
Pepiope's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

You disgust me. Thinking I would bringing shame upon myself like that. The goddamn Pats. You oughta be banned for saying some shit like that.

I dealt with losing to Eli when Tony & T.O. were on top of the world. It was hard as hell, but I dealt with it. Meanwhile you punks probably threw batteries at McNabb and Santa Claus.

We cheered McNabb when he came back to Philly and then kicked his ass. The Eagle way.
3N16MA
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:39 AM)
3N16MA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elfforkusu

Well, as per my policy of ignoring the playoffs the round after the Packers lose, yes, no need to watch the SB.

Hope the Falcons do it, but in the age of trump I think we know how this ends.

If you believe it you can achieve it! Something like that.

In all honesty if the Pats win I won't be surprised. Belichick made Matt Cassel look good and Jimmy Garoppolo a world beater.
sf2fanatic
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:40 AM)
sf2fanatic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pepiope

A fan named Bronx man who roots for the Cowboys definitely wouldn't deal with that torture. He'd just become a Pats fan.

lol they shooting on Bronx



Time to lace up the boots
MechDX
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:44 AM)
MechDX's Avatar
Narag
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:46 AM)
Narag's Avatar
why do you need a qb? schaub's coming home
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(01-23-2017, 07:46 AM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by MechDX

Browns got a few, Mech, hit them up.

Jets too.
MechDX
Member
(01-23-2017, 07:47 AM)
MechDX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Narag

why do you need a qb? schaub's coming home



At least, bare minimum, Osweiler knows how to beat the Colts
cdyhybrid
(01-23-2017, 07:56 AM)
cdyhybrid's Avatar
Got Skyrim and Long War 2 all modded up and ready to go. Ready for the offseason.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(01-23-2017, 07:57 AM)
Man God's Avatar
AFCS came down to conference record. Titans just couldn't get it done.

Jags, once preseason favorites to make a big splash, did that despite being incompetent bottom feeders because the few times they did get it up was to destroy playoff dreams.
Officerrob
Member
(01-23-2017, 08:02 AM)
Officerrob's Avatar
Titans get Mariota some receivers and that team could be scary
MechDX
Member
(01-23-2017, 08:15 AM)
MechDX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

AFCS came down to conference record. Titans just couldn't get it done.

Jags, once preseason favorites to make a big splash, did that despite being incompetent bottom feeders because the few times they did get it up was to destroy playoff dreams.

AFCS should have its own OT. We truly are the best!
KaYotiX
Member
(01-23-2017, 08:23 AM)
KaYotiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

People acting surprised at the Packers losing is baffling to me. How far did anyone honestly think Rodgers' heroics was going to take them?

You need balance on offense. Pack had it in 2010, didn't this year. Rodgers had to pull plays out of his ass weekly to get this far. He can't do it alone.

That team needs work. The defense is a shambles and the running game is up in the air. Pack fans should be proud they got as far as they did, instead they wanna fire McCarthy because he couldn't turn water into wine.

Im actually blown away by how far they got with what they had to work with, ZERO RBs, secondary 1st,2nd and 3rd stringers all hurt....O-line with multiple injuries.

Rodgers should be MVP based on the fact he carried a 4-6 team to the damn title game.
Bread
Whole Wheat
(01-23-2017, 08:27 AM)
Bread's Avatar
Best time of the year!!!!!!!
KaYotiX
Member
(01-23-2017, 08:27 AM)
KaYotiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bread

Best time of the year!!!!!!!

E3 is still a ways out......:)
Himynameischris
(01-23-2017, 08:31 AM)
Himynameischris's Avatar
Considering the state of the AFC the dolphins really had a chance to make it deep into the playoffs if we hadn't suffered so many injuries to our defense and it's not so much that the Dolphins are a good team (they aren't on defense even without the injuries) but the AFC was that weak.
squicken
our defensive line is somewhat competent!
(01-23-2017, 09:45 AM)
squicken's Avatar
Hammer24
Member
(01-23-2017, 09:53 AM)
Hammer24's Avatar
Hello Offseason Thread!

Dutch Gronk
Member
(01-23-2017, 10:10 AM)
Dutch Gronk's Avatar
I'm ready to be serviced.
Hunter S.
Member
(01-23-2017, 11:24 AM)
Hunter S.'s Avatar
Not excited about the new head coach. I am excited about Mike McCoy returning as offensive coordinator ,though. The fact that Elway would let Wade Phillips go makes me wonder too.

Too many questions about this Broncos team leave me lost.

I doubt I will be around much this off season once again. Give me Spring and Summer and decent weather to ride my bike.
Tankard
Member
(01-23-2017, 11:55 AM)
Tankard's Avatar
Bortles for Tyrod straight up.

Who says no?
Grexeno
Member
(01-23-2017, 12:01 PM)
Grexeno's Avatar
So the Steelers should totally draft a pass rusher right.
FloydtheFathead
Member
(01-23-2017, 12:38 PM)
FloydtheFathead's Avatar
Good morning

Originally Posted by Grexeno

So the Steelers should totally draft a pass rusher right.

If ever there was a draft for it, this would be it..
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2017, 02:09 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grexeno

So the Steelers should totally draft a pass rusher right.

And a tight end. I'd be surprised if Green played in 2017.
BigAT
Member
(01-23-2017, 02:10 PM)
BigAT's Avatar
Apparently I'm friends with yankeehater?

Alligatorjandro
(01-23-2017, 02:28 PM)
Alligatorjandro's Avatar
We bout to do it
Dutch Gronk
Member
(01-23-2017, 02:37 PM)
Dutch Gronk's Avatar
🏆 Most Players in Super Bowl 51

5- Rutgers
4- Alabama
4- LSU
4- Stanford
3- Auburn
3- Georgia
3- Virginia
3- Washington


BigFAT is doing it!
Jarnet87
Member
(01-23-2017, 02:50 PM)
Jarnet87's Avatar
It's almost time for Mike Mayock to pronounce any player with an -erry in their last name as -urry.
Pepiope
Member
(01-23-2017, 03:13 PM)
Pepiope's Avatar

Originally Posted by BigAT

Apparently I'm friends with yankeehater?

It's sad he's spreading his misinformation to others
Sephzilla
Member
(01-23-2017, 03:24 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar
So, after letting it sink in a bit I have kind of my big final Packers rant. In short, I kind of feel like the Packers need a culture change if they want to reach the Super Bowl again. The reason I feel there needs to be a culture change with the Packers is because there's just too much complacency. Everyone seems perfectly fine with winning the division and making a playoff run, only to run out of gas before reaching the Super Bowl. At the end of the season everyone pats the Packers on the back and says "Good season, you guys overcame a lot just to make it this far" and completely ignore that all of the obstacles the Packers overcame were of their own creation (especially this season in particular). This complacency is why we've stuck with Dom Capers as defensive coordinator way past his expiration date. There's no external pressure on this team and the end result is complacency and the potential squandering of Aaron Rodgers' prime.

I don't want to really jumpstart the #FireMcCarthy wagon again because I actually liked a lot of his coaching in the second half of the season. However, to borrow a line from McCarthy himself, we need to face some facts. McCarthy is not a big game coach. He's 1-3 in NFC Championship games for his career and he's 1-8-1 in games that go into overtime (his last OT win was in 2007, I believe). And he's had two hall of fame quarterbacks for his entire head coaching career and has only one Super Bowl appearance to show for it. The loss to Atlanta honestly isn't on McCarthy like the Seattle loss from 2014 was, but it's another instance of the Packers not showing up for a big game and I feel that is a reflection of coaching. The two people in the Packers' front office that I feel do need to go are Ted Thomspon and Dom Capers. The defense that showed up in Atlanta is mostly on Thompson's hands. Most of his defensive draft picks have not panned out in recent years and since Thompson pretty much shuns the free agent market that means our defense has no depth to it what so ever which results in us starting defensive backs so bad that they'd get scorched by college level offenses. And while I can't blame too much on Dom Capers this year because of all the injuries the defense sustained, Capers himself is simply past his expiration date as a defensive coordinator - even when healthy his defenses have not been good in recent years and his secondary strategies have been legitimately awful pretty much since their last Super Bowl appearance.

Thompson and Capers have to go, the Packers need a shake up and a kick in the ass.
Last edited by Sephzilla; 01-23-2017 at 03:27 PM.
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:11 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

So, after letting it sink in a bit I have kind of my big final Packers rant. In short, I kind of feel like the Packers need a culture change if they want to reach the Super Bowl again. The reason I feel there needs to be a culture change with the Packers is because there's just too much complacency. Everyone seems perfectly fine with winning the division and making a playoff run, only to run out of gas before reaching the Super Bowl. At the end of the season everyone pats the Packers on the back and says "Good season, you guys overcame a lot just to make it this far" and completely ignore that all of the obstacles the Packers overcame were of their own creation (especially this season in particular). This complacency is why we've stuck with Dom Capers as defensive coordinator way past his expiration date. There's no external pressure on this team and the end result is complacency and the potential squandering of Aaron Rodgers' prime.

I don't want to really jumpstart the #FireMcCarthy wagon again because I actually liked a lot of his coaching in the second half of the season. However, to borrow a line from McCarthy himself, we need to face some facts. McCarthy is not a big game coach. He's 1-3 in NFC Championship games for his career and he's 1-8-1 in games that go into overtime (his last OT win was in 2007, I believe). And he's had two hall of fame quarterbacks for his entire head coaching career and has only one Super Bowl appearance to show for it. The loss to Atlanta honestly isn't on McCarthy like the Seattle loss from 2014 was, but it's another instance of the Packers not showing up for a big game and I feel that is a reflection of coaching. The two people in the Packers' front office that I feel do need to go are Ted Thomspon and Dom Capers. The defense that showed up in Atlanta is mostly on Thompson's hands. Most of his defensive draft picks have not panned out in recent years and since Thompson pretty much shuns the free agent market that means our defense has no depth to it what so ever which results in us starting defensive backs so bad that they'd get scorched by college level offenses. And while I can't blame too much on Dom Capers this year because of all the injuries the defense sustained, Capers himself is simply past his expiration date as a defensive coordinator - even when healthy his defenses have not been good in recent years and his secondary strategies have been legitimately awful pretty much since their last Super Bowl appearance.

Thompson and Capers have to go, the Packers need a shake up and a kick in the ass.

You're overrating the Packers if you think their failure is due to coaching.
Sephzilla
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:14 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

You're overrating the Packers if you think their failure is due to coaching.

The failure was due to injuries, having a college-tier defense, and literally every break going Atlanta's way. But part of that problem was due to the front-office giving our defense very few good players and having absolutely no depth.
wienke
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:15 PM)
wienke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

The failure was due to injuries, having a college-tier defense, and literally every break going Atlanta's way. But part of that problem was due to the front-office giving our defense very few good players and having absolutely no depth.

This.

At some point you have to start wondering why we can't field a consistent defense and ask whose fault is that? Apparently we need fucking Charles Woodson level guys in the secondary to make it work.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(01-23-2017, 04:18 PM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

The failure was due to injuries, having a college-tier defense, and literally every break going Atlanta's way. But part of that problem was due to the front-office giving our defense very few good players and having absolutely no depth.

Even at 100% health the Packers defense is not very good. They keep this up and they'll have a team like the Saints did a few years ago.
Sephzilla
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:19 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

Even at 100% health the Packers defense is not very good. They keep this up and they'll have a team like the Saints did a few years ago.

Yep. This year specifically I think you can peg on injuries, but in recent history even healthy Dom Capers defenses haven't been that good. Capers and Thompson need to go.
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:22 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

The failure was due to injuries, having a college-tier defense, and literally every break going Atlanta's way. But part of that problem was due to the front-office giving our defense very few good players and having absolutely no depth.

So you're saying that Capers doesn't have the personnel needed to win on defense, but he needs to be fired anyway?

Packers aren't a Super Bowl caliber squad and haven't been for years. Problem is everyone has been blowing so much smoke up Rodgers ass that the team thinks its a contender just by fielding him, to the point that Pack fans blame McCarthy for trying to get some balance and daring to run he ball.

I agree with you that the defense has few good players, but it's not for lack of trying. Ted's defensive picks have yielded few superstars. Maybe he's cooked, but it takes time to build a defense up and the Packers have had the worst luck with injuries, age and players flat out losing their passion for the game.
Sephzilla
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:24 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

So you're saying that Capers doesn't have the personnel needed to win on defense, but he needs to be fired anyway?

Packers aren't a Super Bowl caliber squad and haven't been for years. Problem is everyone has been blowing so much smoke up Rodgers ass that the team thinks its a contender just by fielding him, to the point that Pack fans blame McCarthy for trying to get some balance and daring to run he ball.

I agree with you that the defense has few good players, but it's not for lack of trying. Ted's defensive picks have yielded few superstars. Maybe he's cooked, but it takes time to build a defense up and the Packers have had the worst luck with injuries, age and players flat out losing their passion for the game.

Yes, I think he needs to go because the Packers defensive woes have existed since before the 2016 season started and have existed even when the team was healthy. The Packers are an easy Super Bowl contender if they even have an average defense.

Edit: Regarding McCarthy - I'm actually ok with him trying to do a balanced run/pass offense when he has the proper talent to do so. I just don't like some of the formations he chooses for his run plays because his run plays are so incredibly predictable. Plus there's actually some statistical evidence to support the idea that the offense did regress a bit when McCarthy tried to balance things more. But overall I'm not that upset with McCarthy specifically.
Last edited by Sephzilla; 01-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Duxxy3
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:25 PM)
Duxxy3's Avatar
How long have the Packers had their strength and conditioning coach?
MechDX
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:27 PM)
MechDX's Avatar

Jayson Braddock ✔ @JaysonBraddock
Mahomes' game is 90% arm talent.

Struggles with routine throws.

Has 0 level of consistency in his base & throwing mechanics.

Mahomes footwork is all over the place.

His technique is like a shortstop playing QB. Just slinging it to a target.

Mahomes has a rocket arm & it gives any play a chance.

Plays his best off-script.

Will make throws that most can't make.

Mahomes is the Sex Cannon 2.0!
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:30 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

Yes, I think he needs to go because the Packers defensive woes have existed since before the 2016 season started and have existed even when the team was healthy. The Packers are an easy Super Bowl contender if they even have an average defense.

The Packers have had bad personnel on defense for years. They've been skinny up front and aside from Matthews slow in the middle. That defense needs to be gutted, but is the FO willing to sacrifice the picks necessary to do that?
Sephzilla
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:32 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

The Packers have had bad personnel on defense for years. They've been skinny up front and aside from Matthews slow in the middle. That defense needs to be gutted, but is the FO willing to sacrifice the picks necessary to do that?

I don't think they are which is why I think the FO needs to be gutted a little bit. Thompson hasn't had a solid defensive pick since, what, maybe Matthews?

I'd honestly start a defensive revamp with trading Matthews and getting some picks for him or maybe a respectable cornerback.
Last edited by Sephzilla; 01-23-2017 at 04:35 PM.
wienke
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:32 PM)
wienke's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

So you're saying that Capers doesn't have the personnel needed to win on defense, but he needs to be fired anyway?

Packers aren't a Super Bowl caliber squad and haven't been for years. Problem is everyone has been blowing so much smoke up Rodgers ass that the team thinks its a contender just by fielding him, to the point that Pack fans blame McCarthy for trying to get some balance and daring to run he ball.

I agree with you that the defense has few good players, but it's not for lack of trying. Ted's defensive picks have yielded few superstars. Maybe he's cooked, but it takes time to build a defense up and the Packers have had the worst luck with injuries, age and players flat out losing their passion for the game.

So what you're saying is to just keep going because eventually the plan should work despite 6 years of evidence otherwise since 2010?

I just don't believe in the "draft and develop only" system anymore. New England, for as much as we bitch about their cheating, has been to 7 Super Bowls with Brady while picking in the high 20s like Green Bay does every single season. Their entire defense has turned over on several occasions and they still make it consistently...they never went 6 years without going to the Super Bowl like we have. Even Ben went to three games (Steelers have exactly one losing season since 1999).

At some point, Ted Thompson needs to take some chances on free agents because the Rodgers era won't last forever.

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

The Packers have had bad personnel on defense for years. They've been skinny up front and aside from Matthews slow in the middle. That defense needs to be gutted, but is the FO willing to sacrifice the picks necessary to do that?

Okay now we're communicating...thought you meant the Packers should just do nothing and expect different results.

Yeah the defense needs to be blown up. Trade Matthews, sign some guys, get a new DC.
foppy79
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:33 PM)
foppy79's Avatar
So this is the famous offseason thread that people have been asking begging for since the playoffs started...

neat.

I will know proceed to read every post, and respond only 2 or 3 times over this thread's life.
Also thank y'all for making me get back into football, and go Eagles!
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:36 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar

Originally Posted by wienke

So what you're saying is to just keep going because eventually the plan should work despite 6 years of evidence otherwise since 2010?

I just don't believe in the "draft and develop only" system anymore. New England, for as much as we bitch about their cheating, has been to 7 Super Bowls with Brady while picking in the high 20s like Green Bay does every single season. Their entire defense has turned over on several occasions and they still make it consistently...they never went 6 years without going to the Super Bowl like we have. Even Ben went to three games (Steelers have exactly one losing season since 1999).

At some point, Ted Thompson needs to take some chances on free agents because the Rodgers era won't last forever.



Okay now we're communicating...thought you meant the Packers should just do nothing and expect different results.

Yeah the defense needs to be blown up. Trade Matthews, sign some guys, get a new DC.

I agree with you about Ted. He's made a lot of defensive picks since that Super Bowl and most have been average at best. Maybe it is time for him to move on.

Where I don't agree is Capers. Packers D has lacked talent for a long time but he has always kept them competitive. This season is a perfect example - that team had no place being in the title game.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(01-23-2017, 04:38 PM)
WedgeX's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

So you're saying that Capers doesn't have the personnel needed to win on defense, but he needs to be fired anyway?

Packers aren't a Super Bowl caliber squad and haven't been for years. Problem is everyone has been blowing so much smoke up Rodgers ass that the team thinks its a contender just by fielding him, to the point that Pack fans blame McCarthy for trying to get some balance and daring to run he ball.

I agree with you that the defense has few good players, but it's not for lack of trying. Ted's defensive picks have yielded few superstars. Maybe he's cooked, but it takes time to build a defense up and the Packers have had the worst luck with injuries, age and players flat out losing their passion for the game.

Also doesn't help that the rest of the NFC North are frauds, losers, or constantly injured.
ShaneB
Member
(01-23-2017, 04:43 PM)
ShaneB's Avatar

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Also doesn't help that the rest of the NFC North are frauds, losers, or constantly injured.

Patriots seem to make the most out of a shit division....
Tom Nook
(01-23-2017, 04:47 PM)
Tom Nook's Avatar
Lets go Falcons!

Niners in 2017-2018.

Thread Tools