• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Ourobolus
Keeper of the Book
(02-16-2017, 09:51 PM)
Ourobolus's Avatar
Tim is MVP. He was absolutely not on my radar.

Ya'll shoulda lynched Time D1, jerks. :P
CzarTim
Member
(02-16-2017, 09:52 PM)
CzarTim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

Next time:

1) If crab doesn't die N1, he's scum
2) If Czartim is alive, he's sum
3) If squidy isn't a rabid dog (and you really weren't this game, I had a post all prepped up to accuse you of being too laid back for town!squid but I stepped away, cooled my head off, and deleted it, regret), he's scum

funny because I'm like never night killed

I was in star wars at the very end, and I was in zelda because my lover got killed.

If you're scum in a game feel free to n1 kill me. I prefer it :P
Kyanrute
Member
(02-16-2017, 09:52 PM)
Kyanrute's Avatar

Originally Posted by YesNOnoNOYes

At the end-game stage, though, I think Kyaaa should have done a little more since he was a confirmed townie ...because the others were obviously not confirmed and were in need of someone to look up to, for direction and guidance. But, we have yet to see Kyaaa’s form as a town leader, so, maybe that’s one thing that we will witness in the future :D I hope Kyaaa would have come to better peace with the Cop role after experiencing it in Mini 3… XD

Hmm Kyaa should've done more for sure, but that's what Kyaa is not that good at. Kyaa does not see how his opinions are better than other's and it ain't like people follow Kyaa nor does Kyaa really want them to do that either.

and cop is a dumb role with no internal downsides fuck cops
Kyanrute
Member
(02-16-2017, 09:55 PM)
Kyanrute's Avatar
oh and yay all and thx spoder

better to be spoder food than a cop
CzarTim
Member
(02-16-2017, 09:58 PM)
CzarTim's Avatar
yn thank you very much for changing the voting rules. I got very bummed out when I realized I could convince people I was town in a 4 man showdown and still lose. I appreciate you taking that into account. And yes, down with plurality!

I felt like the activity was good in this game mainly because it was most active when I was here. I know for gor it seemed to frustrate him. For me it was nice not having to wake up to pages of new content.

And thanks for the kind words <3
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(02-16-2017, 09:59 PM)
Haly's Avatar
I usually lose interest by D3 so the short day/night cycles felt very good.
Kyanrute
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:02 PM)
Kyanrute's Avatar
48/24 felt really good for a game of this size.
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:03 PM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar

Originally Posted by CzarTim

funny because I'm like never night killed

I was in star wars at the very end, and I was in zelda because my lover got killed.

If you're scum in a game feel free to n1 kill me. I prefer it :P

dont.... dont mention that game pls

TRIGGERED

Originally Posted by Kyanrute

Hmm Kyaa should've done more for sure, but that's what Kyaa is not that good at. Kyaa does not see how his opinions are better than other's and it ain't like people follow Kyaa nor does Kyaa really want them to do that either.

and cop is a dumb role with no internal downsides fuck cops

Kyaa needs to level up Kyaa's town leader game!!! Kyaa has the smarts ! Spoder can smells it !

Originally Posted by Kyanrute

oh and yay all and thx spoder

better to be spoder food than a cop

omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by CzarTim

yn thank you very much for changing the voting rules. I got very bummed out when I realized I could convince people I was town in a 4 man showdown and still lose. I appreciate you taking that into account. And yes, down with plurality!

I felt like the activity was good in this game mainly because it was most active when I was here. I know for gor it seemed to frustrate him. For me it was nice not having to wake up to pages of new content.

And thanks for the kind words <3

coin toss sux

that is all

and <3 bak at u ! wheeeeeee~
squidyj
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:07 PM)
squidyj's Avatar
these are all bad rules.
batsnacks
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:12 PM)
batsnacks's Avatar
usually with plurality you lynch whoever received the most votes first in a tie, I switched it for fun in mini I :O

gg scum
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:14 PM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar

Originally Posted by batsnacks

usually with plurality you lynch whoever received the most votes first in a tie, I switched it for fun in mini I :O

gg scum

o why u not say so, bats! nacks!

anyway, i think majority is for me.... that excitement of a turbo * ___ *
batsnacks
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:27 PM)
batsnacks's Avatar
I wasn't really paying attention just noticed :P
CCS
Member
(02-16-2017, 10:29 PM)
CCS's Avatar
Thank you smol spider, it was a pleasure to die for your amusement.
Lone_Prodigy
Member
(02-16-2017, 11:04 PM)
Lone_Prodigy's Avatar
rigged scum
rigged coin flip
rigged train
rigged gut
squidyj
Member
(02-17-2017, 12:52 AM)
squidyj's Avatar
I'm inclined to agree with lp. except for the guts and coin flips.
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(02-17-2017, 08:38 AM)
Crab's Avatar

Originally Posted by CzarTim

he claimed while we were asleep, I woke up to him begging us to catch his mistake before town did. I was not expecting him to do that.

Worked, though.

I was hoping squids would catch it. I knew the slip had to come in before kyan to stand up to even slightly poking - it needed to look credible enough to give real town points for the mistake. I felt squids could have done with a bit of a leg up, and I could waste a whole day in doing so - town got nothing done on D3 really. Also, I didn't want squids to claim cop at that point so I ruined it for him. Mwahaha.
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(02-17-2017, 08:45 AM)
Crab's Avatar
Congrats to arochnid - well run. Flavour was excellent, molding was prompt, can't get any better.

I'm not a huge fan of the phase lengths, but clearly overruled in that respect. I think they harm game quality, and were an enormous help for scum - how was town supposed to win with so little opportunity for discussion? I think they also favour more 'random' outcomes. There's so little time that suspicions formed on day 1 are still around on day 4, because there's no time for them to alter. It's almost impossible for anyone to change anyone else's mind, and the game gets reduced to a sort of lottery. I think the preference for short days does undermine GAFIA quality - although obviously that doesn't reflect on arochnid, who ran a fantastic game.

Similarly, glad we changed back to majority vote.
squidyj
Member
(02-17-2017, 08:49 AM)
squidyj's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crab

Worked, though.

I was hoping squids would catch it. I knew the slip had to come in before kyan to stand up to even slightly poking - it needed to look credible enough to give real town points for the mistake. I felt squids could have done with a bit of a leg up, and I could waste a whole day in doing so - town got nothing done on D3 really. Also, I didn't want squids to claim cop at that point so I ruined it for him. Mwahaha.

you bastard.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(02-17-2017, 09:35 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crab

There's so little time that suspicions formed on day 1 are still around on day 4, because there's no time for them to alter. It's almost impossible for anyone to change anyone else's mind, and the game gets reduced to a sort of lottery.

I don't think so. Here is where I think scum was really stacked just player wise. I put out a convincing theory for you/gorlak/melon, and people ran with it. Kawl was taken in, Kyan was taken in, Tim pushed it, Squidy pushed it, and melon and Gorlak couldn't set up any convincing alternatives. Had the opposite happened, say, it really was you/gorlak/melon, but I posited squidyj and czartim, and both of them were town, they could've easily talked me down.

People just need to play a lot more aggressive/analytical for short days/nights to work. I fell into the trap of tunneling as much as I wanted to stay away from it, but no one else was giving me a reasonable alternative.
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-17-2017, 12:56 PM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crab

Congrats to arochnid - well run. Flavour was excellent, molding was prompt, can't get any better.

I'm not a huge fan of the phase lengths, but clearly overruled in that respect. I think they harm game quality, and were an enormous help for scum - how was town supposed to win with so little opportunity for discussion? I think they also favour more 'random' outcomes. There's so little time that suspicions formed on day 1 are still around on day 4, because there's no time for them to alter. It's almost impossible for anyone to change anyone else's mind, and the game gets reduced to a sort of lottery. I think the preference for short days does undermine GAFIA quality - although obviously that doesn't reflect on arochnid, who ran a fantastic game.

Similarly, glad we changed back to majority vote.

ty sir crustacean o7

i understand what you mean about the phases not giving enough breathing space to certain depth of discussion, but i think there's something different with the current trend of gafia in terms of players activity and contribution/engagement levels. as i said, mini 1 felt different, but i saw a fair few comments that some players felt that some parts of the phases felt inactive and slow. 76 hours of stalled discussion versus 48, and i can see why most opt for 48.

longer day phases would probably work better for overall game quality if the level of activity and engagement is higher though.

and congrats on first victory at gafia, lord of pincers :D




*rolls some cabbages at corgi's direction* :D
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-17-2017, 01:17 PM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

I don't think so. Here is where I think scum was really stacked just player wise. I put out a convincing theory for you/gorlak/melon, and people ran with it. Kawl was taken in, Kyan was taken in, Tim pushed it, Squidy pushed it, and melon and Gorlak couldn't set up any convincing alternatives. Had the opposite happened, say, it really was you/gorlak/melon, but I posited squidyj and czartim, and both of them were town, they could've easily talked me down.

People just need to play a lot more aggressive/analytical for short days/nights to work. I fell into the trap of tunneling as much as I wanted to stay away from it, but no one else was giving me a reasonable alternative.

player roster was making me very giddy when i rolled the roles, tbh... every other way it would roll, i think mini 3 would have stacked scum team. have you seen batsnacks in vampire as scum? or ouro in heist or gafia 2? or kyan, our resident scum mvp after rolling scum 5 times a row? or gorlak in mgs? every which way, i felt as if mini 3 would have presented a really interesting combinations for the factions...

of course, the fact that it did roll crab, czar and squidy was almost like drawing the scum team dream team. ngl i squeed when rng gave me those three names as mini 3 baddies.

squeed, i tell u




bottom line, when the players roster is gud, scummies have higher chance to draw a stacked team. also rng is a krul master ^___^
Timeaisis
(02-17-2017, 03:59 PM)
Timeaisis's Avatar
gg everyone. way to go tim.
Kawl_USC
Member
(02-17-2017, 05:43 PM)
Kawl_USC's Avatar
Tim played nasty.

Didn't read the correction of crab as any alignment indicative, I was just already pretty firmly in tims pocket unfortunately.

I think in something like this it comes down to needing town players to more actively clear themselves.

Margin also felt thin to walk to a win here.

Overall though town was just outplayed.

Gg scum
Natiko
Member
(02-18-2017, 04:58 AM)
Natiko's Avatar
Only just had a chance to catch up on the final couple day phases. RIP Town and GG scum. I guessed one of the scum at least. I credit the intimate bond I formed with Tim in Zelda. Really helped me pick out his turn to the dark side.
Gorlak
Member
(02-18-2017, 11:37 AM)
gg scum

thx spider!

Originally Posted by Haly

EDIT: I'm sorry for being mean to Gorlak and melon with my tunnel.

No hard feelings, it's all a game.

---
Edit: Just one suggestion, and I know we already had that discussion, but day scum chat is a powerful tool. Doesn't look like it was heavily used in this game (apart from that one time), but I feel it's something completely unnecessary at this point. Yes, I'm aware of the downsides, but maybe the next mini edition can experiment how night only scum chat works out.
Last edited by Gorlak; 02-18-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(02-18-2017, 12:22 PM)
Crab's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gorlak

gg scum

thx spider!



No hard feelings, it's all a game.

---
Edit: Just one suggestion, and I know we already had that discussion, but day scum chat is a powerful tool. Doesn't look like it was heavily used in this game (apart from that one time), but I feel it's something completely unnecessary at this point. Yes, I'm aware of the downsides, but maybe the next mini edition can experiment how night only scum chat works out.

I actually agree, and this is my fault. Scum and town learning curves aren't equal - newbie town beat newbie scum, middling scum beat middling town. When we started GAFia I had day chat to try and keep scum morale up and balance things out a bit. I don't think we need it now. Certainly, C9++ isn't conventionally played with scum day chat.
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-18-2017, 02:16 PM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar
^

i agree with both of you, i think generally, gafia's scummie play level is at the level where day chat can be disallowed

on the other hand, general gafia's townie play level probably isnt at the same development ... .___.;;;; (imo)
Ty4on
Member
(02-19-2017, 03:24 AM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by YesNOnoNOYes

^

i agree with both of you, i think generally, gafia's scummie play level is at the level where day chat can be disallowed

on the other hand, general gafia's townie play level probably isnt at the same development ... .___.;;;; (imo)

Maybe I'm coming from a weird place, but I think we need to just let town play catch up. Lot's of the early games were balanced in favor of town (~4 scum ~20 total iirc) and the scum meta in games recently (I haven't really read this one since I was in my own game) has been that scum has countered the things town usually looks for. This reminds me of SC2 balancing where what a lot of older players from Brood War wanted the devs to wait for a while and see how the meta evolved instead of instantly fixing an "imbalance" with a buff or nerf.
I think we need town (or scum should that happen again) to just fail instead of tweaking the balance too much and yoyo-ing between seasons where one or the other gets a clean sweep. That will force town players to switch things up. A misread in a game you won doesn't sting as much as a misread that cost the game.
If most games are clean sweeps I agree something needs to be done, but games like Persona could've been town wins with a little luck and this game (it seems) just had scum outplaying town and of course they should win there. Night only chat is also something that has never been done here (iirc) and would be a big shift which could have unforeseen consequences. I'm mostly thinking that scum could end up really struggling to adapt and we get another season of town winning everything.
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-19-2017, 03:47 AM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar
yeah, i can see your point yonyon

i think maybe the sample size can also be bigger before we make any drastic changes, but for now, i'll note this for further discussions at the main thread so we can get everyone's say on it :)

appreciate the thoughtfulness <3



woh, yonyon is a fellow sc2 spec? :D too bad it's quietened down these days. GSL and ProLeague was so fun to watch/follow :D
Ty4on
Member
(02-19-2017, 04:20 AM)
Ty4on's Avatar
I haven't watched it in a while, but I used to watch a ton back in Wings of Liberty. I never got good at the game, but loved watching the tournaments and see them mindg ame each other :D

I actually watched a bit of Brood War this morning, randomly noticed it was streaming. I don't know much about Brood War, but man they can have some really fun to watch games. TvT especially.
YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(02-19-2017, 08:28 AM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar
Yeah im terrible at the game, but I love watching the tournaments :D

I caught the tail end of Brood War, but i was right there when SC2 launched :> It was super exciting. I still remember cheering for NesTea and everything :D

oh i see yonyon's the enemy ... you are a filthy terran huh >:O

my favourite match up is TvZ

#ForTheSwarm
Gorlak
Member
(02-19-2017, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Ty4on

I'm mostly thinking that scum could end up really struggling to adapt and we get another season of town winning everything.

That's why I proposed to try it out in Mini or other midseason games.

Scum day chat just bugs me in principle (as well as any other gossip/mason/separate day chat by the way). How should a group of people have secret discussions at day, when everyone is at a town meeting discussing who to lynch?
Ty4on
Member
(02-20-2017, 03:31 AM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gorlak

That's why I proposed to try it out in Mini or other midseason games.

Scum day chat just bugs me in principle (as well as any other gossip/mason/separate day chat by the way). How should a group of people have secret discussions at day, when everyone is at a town meeting discussing who to lynch?

Haha, the fluff for me disappears two posts into the game when everybody has stopped with the flavor :P

I love chats of all forms. Danganronpa and Love Boat are still the most memorable games for me thanks to the chat I was in.
squidyj
Member
(02-20-2017, 03:43 AM)
squidyj's Avatar
hate chats. they are the worst.

Thread Tools