• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SF BayGaf : Page 5
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 06:21 PM)
That was always the thing about Oakes that would spook me during wildfire season whenever I had class in that area. Considering how many people were often smoking out there, all I would think was like 'damn, just one flicker and all this will go up in a blaze'.

Kresge is such a chill area but man those classrooms suck balls when it was either raining or hot outside... Ventilation wat?

Overall, I really love the UCSC campus just because of how much the environment changes within the college itself. Sure the trees cover most of the campus but I'll be damned if I don't love the view from the Cowell lawn on a clear day when you can see practically all the way to Watsonville.
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(01-31-2013, 06:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Kambing

Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.

Is it really that good? I pass that place all the time.

My favorite sushi joint is this little place in San Bruno called Hiro's. Once the staff know you as a regular, they usually hook you up with extra stuff.

Speaking of food, gonna try Atelier Crenn with some coworkers in a few months. Also going to hit Morimoto's up in Napa with some friends in a couple weeks. Next trip to French Laundry is November.

/foodie
harSon
(01-31-2013, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Auron_Kale

That was always the thing about Oakes that would spook me during wildfire season whenever I had class in that area. Considering how many people were often smoking out there, all I would think was like 'damn, just one flicker and all this will go up in a blaze'.

Kresge is such a chill area but man those classrooms suck balls when it was either raining or hot outside... Ventilation wat?

Overall, I really love the UCSC campus just because of how much the environment changes within the college itself. Sure the trees cover most of the campus but I'll be damned if I don't love the view from the Cowell lawn on a clear day when you can see practically all the way to Watsonville.

The lack of air conditioning at a lot of the colleges was downright dreadful at times. I remember there was a heat wave during the first week of school in 2010, and temperatures in SC reached like 106-108 degrees. I had a class in Classroom Unit 1 (Buildings near the Book Store) at the peak of the day, and with no air conditioning and 1-2 doors of ventilation for that entire room (and it's a pretty damn large room), the class was beyond hot. The professor ended up literally saying "Fuck this," and canceled class for the day haha.

And yeah, the Campus is crazy. It's amazing how different the climate can be between Downtown SC and on Campus. Hell, different sides of the campus seem to have their own climates.

I really love that campus. Miss it so much.
Last edited by harSon; 01-31-2013 at 06:28 PM.
DoubleTap
(01-31-2013, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Giant Robot

I keep telling myself to make it out there, but i'll end up at some fried chicken and waffle place instead

.Humphry Slocombe aint so bad either, but I've only had their Vietnamese Iced Coffee flavor and banana flavor.

Is there a place you can recommend? I've always wanted to try it.
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by harSon

The lack of air conditioning at a lot of the colleges was downright dreadful at times. I remember there was a heat wave during the first week of school in 2010, and temperatures in SC reached like 106-108 degrees. I had a class in Classroom Unit 1 (Buildings near the Book Store) at the peak of the day, and with no air conditioning and 1-2 doors of ventilation for that entire room (and it's a pretty damn large room), the class was beyond hot. The professor ended up literally saying "Fuck this," and canceled class for the day haha.

And yeah, the Campus is crazy. It's amazing how different the climate can be between Downtown SC and on Campus. Hell, different sides of the campus seem to have their own climates.

Oh man... Indian Summer heatwaves were the worst in any classroom not in Colleges 8, 9, 10 or in the science buildings... Because leaving the doors open for a big-ass space during that time is really going to help.

And yeah, the climate changes were always crazy, both on campus and in town. There were times when I wish I brought like a hoody for one class and then was whining about being too hot in another class.

Damn I miss UCSC lol.
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by DoubleTap

Is there a place you can recommend? I've always wanted to try it.

Well you've got House of Chicken and Waffles in Jack London square. It's as closest as you're going to get to Roscoes from Socal. Actually at one point I think it used to be called Roscoes, but changed the name for some reason. I like 900 Grayson and Brown Sugar Kitchen better though. 900 Grayson is a little more modern i guess, Brown Sugar Kitchen is a little bit homier.

EDIT: forgot to say that 900 Grayson is actually in Berkeley, but close enough.

Did you know someone named Joseph Thompson by any chance? My brother went to Oak Grove around the time those guys were going to OG.

Hmmmm, sounds familiar. I was always with the skater/stoner crowds. Speaking of which, I do think ST had way better skaters than OG ones :P I remember seeing a bunch of fights behind that Nob Hill there too, haha.
Last edited by Giant Robot; 01-31-2013 at 06:51 PM.
BaltimoreLarry
(01-31-2013, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by sca2511

SJ raised as well. Living in Morgan Hill now, but I'm usually in the east side since the GF lives there + school.

I didn't think anyone lived in Morgan Hill but me.

Also, what did the UCSC colleges actually do? I was in Cowell, but I was already a junior.

God, I hated UCSC so much.
Linkhero1
(01-31-2013, 06:50 PM)

Well you've got House of Chicken and Waffles in Jack London square. It's as closest as you're going to get to Roscoes from Socal. Actually at one point I think it used to be called Roscoes, but changed the name for some reason. I like 900 Grayson and Brown Sugar Kitchen better though. 900 Grayson is a little more modern i guess, Brown Sugar Kitchen is a little bit homier.

I'm surprised by the lack of chicken and waffle spots here. Probably some of the best food I've eaten while visiting SoCal.

I wish we had a Bruxies here :(
Magypsy
(01-31-2013, 06:50 PM)
I'm going to San Francisco for GDC 2013. So excited!

I've never been to the USA!
Yaboosh
Super Sleuth
(01-31-2013, 07:00 PM)

House of Chicken and Waffles is fucking terrible. The chicken is shitty and the service is bad too.

Seriously, KFC is better.
MiniBossBattle
(01-31-2013, 07:01 PM)
No one in the Northbay? I would give anything for a decent Ramen spot in the Northbay.
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 07:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Yaboosh

House of Chicken and Waffles is fucking terrible. The chicken is shitty and the service is bad too.

Yea I don't go there anymore, but it's the closest you'll get to Roscoes in terms of atmosphere and dishes they serve. Shitty service is expected from a place like that :P

If anyone ever goes/lives in Oakland, Beer Revolution is an awesome place for beer and hangout spot.
Egnirys
(01-31-2013, 07:05 PM)

Well yeah, it's Porter :P Oakes was alright. The dorms were pretty shitty compared to some of the other ones, so I couldn't wait to get the hell off of campus, but I met a lot of great people along the way. It's classification as the Minority college is definitely appropriate though haha

I know, I'm a transfer and the school made it sound like we had to live on campus at the transfer community at Porter. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad but I think it was worse. I had to get off campus. Also I wasn't fond of eating on campus. I like cooking and really missed home cooked meals. I also really like where I live, I'm a mile from the base so it's easy to walk to campus or drive off to downtown or seabright. But I love the 2 unit classes Porter has. I have an AA in graphic design so Porter courses keep me sane when I'm not in econ lectures.

I had a section at Oakes at night and it would freak me out because the classroom had huge sliding glass doors facing the woods. One night this student emerged from the darkness and knocked on the glass door. Freaked everyone including the TA out!

As much as I will sometimes complain about UCSC, nothing beats getting out of class and smelling redwoods.

Originally Posted by BaltimoreLarry

Also, what did the UCSC colleges actually do? I was in Cowell, but I was already a junior.

God, I hated UCSC so much.

I have no idea what the colleges do. They were formed to give the campus a smaller feel. It was inspired by the way the ancient Greeks taught I think.
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(01-31-2013, 07:05 PM)

Originally Posted by MiniBossBattle

No one in the Northbay? I would give anything for a decent Ramen spot in the Northbay.

Tomoe in San Rafael had good ramen, but the owners retired and the place closed down.
Yaboosh
Super Sleuth
(01-31-2013, 07:06 PM)
Has anyone been to the Vegan Soul Food place right down the road from House of Chicken and Waffles? It is at 3rd and Broadway, right next door to Beer Revolution. I heard ok things about that, and I think they have fried okra, which is the best food ever invented.

I don't know how the hell you make greens without ham hocks though.
DoubleTap
(01-31-2013, 07:07 PM)

EDIT: forgot to say that 900 Grayson is actually in Berkeley, but close enough.

Thank you!
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 07:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Egnirys

I had a section at Oakes at night and it would freak me out because the classroom had huge sliding glass doors facing the woods. One night this student emerged from the darkness and knocked on the glass door. Freaked everyone including the TA out!

As much as I will sometimes complain about UCSC, nothing beats getting out of class and smelling redwoods.

Oh jeez... That probably would've spooked me even more since there are no lights in the areas that actually need lights lol.

But yeah... the smell of clean air and redwoods when it rains was usually why I opted to walk to most of my classes versus taking a shuttle.
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 07:13 PM)

Has anyone been to the Vegan Soul Food place right down the road from House of Chicken and Waffles? It is at 3rd and Broadway, right next door to Beer Revolution. I heard ok things about that, and I think they have fried okra, which is the best food ever invented.

I don't know how the hell you make greens without ham hocks though.

My friend works at Souley Vegan. I'm not a big vegan food fan, but i did try their fried okra and liked it. Souley Vegan often serves food at Beer Revolution at night.
sca2511
(01-31-2013, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by BaltimoreLarry

Neighbor!

My favorite sushi place would be Kenzo on Snell Ave. in South San Jose. It's all you can eat, but the quality is pretty good compared to the other Sushi buffets I've been to.

Originally Posted by catabarez

Any fellow SJSU students on here?

Was about to transfer to SJSU, but chose East Bay instead since it had less prerequisites in my major.
Last edited by sca2511; 01-31-2013 at 07:24 PM.
catabarez
(01-31-2013, 07:18 PM)

Also on another note if anybody is in the Livermore area, I found this burger joint with amazing burgers, John's Char Burgers. It looks a little shady, but I can vouch for the quality.
AgentP
Banned
(01-31-2013, 07:19 PM)

I live in the East Bay (Dublin, Tri-Valley area) in a condo with my parents.

It's pretty much a bedroom community with the amenities that you'll find in the suburbs. For me, I live five minutes away from the Dublin/Pleasanton Bart station so I barely use gas in my car. Movie theater's close by (Regal Hacienda), plenty of green space and lots of things are in walking distance.

Usually on Thursdays they would have the farmer's market in Emerald Glen Park but I think they stopped due to the autumn season, but the one in Downtown Pleasanton is open on Saturdays.

Also, they just opened the Paragon Outlets today so yeah, 580 is a bitch to drive on - stick to the side streets.

I work in Newark and live in Pleasanton. I was born and raised in the East Bay.
Toki767
(01-31-2013, 07:21 PM)
I went to the new Paragon Outlets a month ago. It was pretty small. That said, it's a lot easier to get through all the stores in a day there than say Gilroy or the Great Mall.
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 07:23 PM)

Neighbor!

My favorite sushi place would be Kenzo on Snell Ave. in South San Jose. It's all you can eat, but the quality is pretty good compared to the other Sushi buffets I've been to.

Right next to Taco Bravo!

SJSU Alumni here.
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by AgentP

I work in Newark and live in Pleasanton. I was born and raised in the East Bay.

Nice nice. I haven't lived anywhere else but the East Bay and am not really sure if I'd leave strangely. It's quite comfortable despite the roads being a hassle.

Had a weird surprise when I went to Stoneridge last night and bought some shoes - wasn't charged for a bag and was told that they weren't charging yet. Found it hilarious as in Dublin, we're charged for bags but not 'next door' as I thought both Dublin/Pleasanton had the plastic bag ban.
t26
(01-31-2013, 07:28 PM)
Wasn't charge for a bag at Dublin best buy yesterday
jiggle
(01-31-2013, 07:30 PM)

Neighbor!

yeah really good place to gorge on on rolls and nigiri
they opened a branch in campbell that's slightly better imo
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 07:34 PM)

Originally Posted by t26

Weird then. Target and Safeway for sure crack down on it. But then again, Best Buy employees normally don't give a crap.
catabarez
(01-31-2013, 07:41 PM)

Right next to Taco Bravo!

SJSU Alumni here.

You been on campus lately? The new student union is looking nice so far.

Originally Posted by t26

Yeah same here when I went to the IMAX shopping center. I also got a nice replacement 7.1 sound system at Best Buy for $100

Edit: The free bag was at TJ Maxx
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 07:42 PM)

You been on campus lately? The new student union is looking nice so far.

I haven't been on campus in like 8 years. I did shit behind the bushes where the RTVF building is and wiped my butt with the school newspaper after a drunken night in downtown SJ a few years ago though. My friend went back the next day and saw the shit.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 07:44 PM)

Also on another note if anybody is in the Livermore area, I found this burger joint with amazing burgers, John's Char Burgers. It looks a little shady, but I can vouch for the quality.

My mom worked there for a decade, so I'm probably more familiar with the campus than the one I went too. I probably would have attended SJSU if my mom had still been working there when I was ready to go to college. I believe with my mother's discount, tuition would have been cheaper than a community college.
Al-ibn Kermit
(01-31-2013, 07:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Egnirys

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.

I had a Merrill class 15 minutes after an Oakes class last quarter. 1.5 miles uphill, the campus layout is a bit ridiculous.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 07:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Al-ibn Kermit

I had a Merrill class 15 minutes after an Oakes class last quarter. 1.5 miles uphill, the campus layout is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, and it only gets worst during the rainy season. The busses/shuttles get stupid crowded, and people use the numbered busses to get from college to college (assholes).
KoreanBarbecue
(01-31-2013, 08:06 PM)
Live in SF, technically in the Seacliff neighborhood (but it's also straddling the Central Richmond). Work in the East Bay...dat commute. Bleh.
BaltimoreLarry
(01-31-2013, 08:59 PM)

Yeah, and it only gets worst during the rainy season. The busses/shuttles get stupid crowded, and people use the numbered busses to get from college to college (assholes).

Parking permits, if I remember we're ridiculously priced. My first quarter as a commuter, the permit was like 700 bucks.
sca2511
(01-31-2013, 11:28 PM)

Originally Posted by KoreanBarbecue

Live in SF, technically in the Seacliff neighborhood (but it's also straddling the Central Richmond). Work in the East Bay...dat commute. Bleh.

Damn wtf...
Sanky Panky
Banned
(02-02-2013, 03:31 PM)
SF Gaf - any idea of where I can get the best clam chowder around the bay area?
Kambing
(02-02-2013, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by XiaNaphryz

Is it really that good? I pass that place all the time.

My favorite sushi joint is this little place in San Bruno called Hiro's. Once the staff know you as a regular, they usually hook you up with extra stuff.

Speaking of food, gonna try Atelier Crenn with some coworkers in a few months. Also going to hit Morimoto's up in Napa with some friends in a couple weeks. Next trip to French Laundry is November.

/foodie

For sushi and rolls, i really do think this place rocks. The other Japanese dishes are pretty much just standerd fare though. Will have to try Hiro's out!
ironichaos
(02-02-2013, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Sanky Panky

SF Gaf - any idea of where I can get the best clam chowder around the bay area?

Anchor Oyster Bar in the Castro.
Cow Mengde
(02-02-2013, 04:20 PM)
I'm going to San Fran tomorrow. Not for a happy reason though. My Grandma is dying and I need to be there. It kind of sucks to have to go to a new place just to grieve. I mean, my grandma obviously don't want me to be miserable and have fun, but it's also hard to have fun during something like this. It feels disrespectful.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(02-03-2013, 12:46 AM)
Anyone wanna grab a drink tonight?
Toki767
(02-03-2013, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Kambing

For sushi and rolls, i really do think this place rocks. The other Japanese dishes are pretty much just standerd fare though. Will have to try Hiro's out!

Hiro's is good. They are Korean owned though so be aware of that if you only want authentic Japanese food. Peanut butter dragon roll was amazing though.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(02-03-2013, 01:32 AM)

Originally Posted by wenis

Anyone wanna grab a drink tonight?

Depends where, yeah.
wenis
(02-03-2013, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by FelixOrion

Depends where, yeah.

I usually hit the mission for bars since it's not too far from my place.

Shotwell's maybe?

what's this dependency lean on?
butzopower
proud of his butz
(02-03-2013, 02:24 AM)

Shotwell's maybe?

I'd come out after seeing ASSSSCAT.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(02-03-2013, 02:35 AM)

Shotwell's maybe?

As, see cause I'm south bay and not really familiar at all with the city or public transit at all, so I wouldn't want to go too far and all that.
Devolution
the fabulous one
(02-03-2013, 02:36 AM)

As, see cause I'm south bay and not really familiar at all with the city or public transit at all, so I wouldn't want to go too far and all that.

He said a bar that's just a couple blocks from bart. Bart will get you to Millbrae.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(02-03-2013, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Devolution

He said a bar that's just a couple blocks from bart. Bart will get you to Millbrae.

Like I said, I just have never used public tansit so I'm just kinda unconfortable using it.
wenis
(02-03-2013, 03:01 AM)
no worries man. i think i may just keep in tonight. maybe ill use my powers of posting for good and see if i can finagle another meetup soon so you have some fellow bart riders to tag along with.
Devolution
the fabulous one
(02-03-2013, 03:01 AM)

Like I said, I just have never used public tansit so I'm just kinda unconfortable using it.

Bart is public transit on it's easiest mode honestly. If you just need that you're set.

Times to get there
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quickp...today&time=now

Times to get back post 10pm
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quickp...time=9%3a41+PM
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(02-03-2013, 03:07 AM)

no worries man. i think i may just keep in tonight. maybe ill use my powers of posting for good and see if i can finagle another meetup soon so you have some fellow bart riders to tag along with.

Thanks man, will do. Just don't wanna fly solo on it at least initally.

Originally Posted by Devolution

Bart is public transit on it's easiest mode honestly. If you just need that you're set.

Times to get there
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quickp...today&time=now

Times to get back post 10pm
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quickp...time=9%3a41+PM

Thank you, those will come in handy.