• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kave_Man
come in my shame circle
(02-14-2017, 08:00 PM)

Originally Posted by EvilMario

Congratulations to the 2017 NBA Champion Toronto Raptors for acquiring Serge Ibaka.*
*Thoughts from the mind of Kave

Rudy Gay is the final piece now. :p

edit: Actually Rudy Gay is a big part of why we're here now!

This chart helps to show this:

Eleuin
(02-14-2017, 08:12 PM)
Pretty substantial fire at yonge and st Clair coming from the badminton and racquet club

Holy chuck and bagel house are probably affected

RIP
ZZMitch
(02-14-2017, 09:33 PM)
Just got accepted to PhD program at UofT Mississagua! Will be nice to get back to the GTA again after being banished to Kingston the last two years for my Masters haha. Also happy to remain in Canada for at least another 4 years, looking more like I will be here in Ontario long term which is a cool feeling.

Do any of you go to UofT Mississauga? What would you recommend for living situation? I don't know much about Mississagua, only ended up going there once when I was in my undergrad at UofT. I very much dislike long commutes so I am going to try and find a place to live nearby the Mississagua campus if possible. I do know there is a free bus from Hart House on St. George campus though.
Junior Mint
(02-14-2017, 09:40 PM)
So apparently a Sansotei opened in North York close to Finch. Still too far for me to walk to.
dluu13
(02-14-2017, 09:40 PM)

Originally Posted by ZZMitch

Just got accepted to PhD program at UofT Mississagua! Will be nice to get back to the GTA again after being banished to Kingston the last two years for my Masters haha. Also happy to remain in Canada for at least another 4 years, looking more like I will be here in Ontario long term which is a cool feeling.

Do any of you go to UofT Mississauga? What would you recommend for living situation? I don't know much about Mississagua, only ended up going there once when I was in my undergrad at UofT. I very much dislike long commutes so I am going to try and find a place to live nearby the Mississagua campus if possible. I do know there is a free bus from Hart House on St. George campus though.

Congratulations! for going down the rabbit hole that I never had the courage to enter
When do you start?
ZZMitch
(02-14-2017, 09:47 PM)

Originally Posted by dluu13

Congratulations! for going down the rabbit hole that I never had the courage to enter
When do you start?

Thanks! I actually really enjoy the academic lifestyle so far. Enjoy making my own hours and stuff like that. I also really like TAing.

Start in September. Now just need to make sure I have my Masters all done and dusted by then haha.
dluu13
(02-14-2017, 10:17 PM)

Thanks! I actually really enjoy the academic lifestyle so far. Enjoy making my own hours and stuff like that. I also really like TAing.

Start in September. Now just need to make sure I have my Masters all done and dusted by then haha.

aah yeah. I was a lab TA of an electronics course for mechanical engineers. Interesting times were had.
Kuro Madoushi
(02-14-2017, 10:41 PM)

😿
I 'member when young ZZMitch was just an undergrad. They grow up so fast...!
ZZMitch
(02-14-2017, 10:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Kuro Madoushi

😿
I 'member when young ZZMitch was just an undergrad. They grow up so fast...!

Went to my first GAF meetup when I was a first year even :P
shadowkat
(02-15-2017, 12:56 AM)

Congrats!

I went UoT Mississauga for some continuing studies classes. I can't help for living situations except to say there were some VERY expensive looking houses nearby
ZZMitch
(02-15-2017, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by shadowkat

Congrats!

I went UoT Mississauga for some continuing studies classes. I can't help for living situations except to say there were some VERY expensive looking houses nearby

Yeah seems like it can be a pricey area! I am living alone at the moment and would like to continue doing that if I could find a place under 1000. If not id look for a roommate.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(02-15-2017, 05:20 AM)
$12.10 GO fare to mcmaster university from union today
paid with a $20
got over $50 in toonies back

now i'm sweating
waiting for the metrolinx hitters to come for my head
seriously it was the best thing that's ever happened to me
Junior Mint
(02-15-2017, 03:12 PM)
lol, classic TTC: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...ded_right_now/
krae_man
(02-15-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by soultron

paid with a $20

now i'm sweating

Coors Light on Soultron at the next meetup!
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(02-15-2017, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by krae_man

Coors Light on Soultron at the next meetup!

I should be able to afford at least 30 pitches with this, right?
explodet
(02-15-2017, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by soultron

paid with a $20

now i'm sweating

JACKPOT

Closest I ever came to that is what feels like decades ago. There was this ATM that output $10s and $20s, and I took out $30 and it gave me $60 (3 $20s instead of 3 $10s).

No retroactive charge, and I didn't press my luck and try it again.

Originally Posted by Junior Mint

lol, classic TTC: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...ded_right_now/

Yeah, Metrolinx has got bigger problems that tracking down a single GO kiosk that's paying out like a slot machine.
yyzjohn
(02-15-2017, 06:09 PM)

Bust out the shorts boys! The long weekend approacheth!
mdubs
(02-15-2017, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by yyzjohn

Oh yeah I'm ready

Kuro Madoushi
(02-15-2017, 06:36 PM)

🌞🔥☀️

Edit: it's TO GAF's very own soultron's birthday! Fuck youuuuu, soultron!
Last edited by Kuro Madoushi; 02-15-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Mastermind Vade
(02-16-2017, 11:18 PM)
Anybody here doing any post-secondary?(Sorry from the few times I've been here a lot of the folk here seem to already work) If so, what are some advice that you'd give to a high schooler wanting to get into Rothmans(other than the obvious mid-90s)? Am still in gr 11 and don't really do volunteer after I've gotten my 40 hours nor have I joined any clubs. My parents restrict me from ever getting a job while I'm still in school.
dluu13
(02-16-2017, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Mastermind Vade

Anybody here doing any post-secondary?(Sorry from the few times I've been here a lot of the folk here seem to already work) If so, what are some advice that you'd give to a high schooler wanting to get into Rothmans(other than the obvious mid-90s)? Am still in gr 11 and don't really do volunteer after I've gotten my 40 hours nor have I joined any clubs. My parents restrict me from ever getting a job while I'm still in school.

Do you mean Rotman School in UofT for business?
Because so many high school students get their marks inflated nowadays, schools are starting to look a lot more at other factors other than marks. If you don't have any volunteer experience then you had better somehow make your statement of intent real good. Either that or go get yourself some relevant volunteer experience. After all, you still have over a year to do it. Either way, your statement needs to be good. Admissions people are reviewing thousands of applications and if they can't understand you with minimal effort then they're just going to pass you over.

An alternative would be to go to a local college for a transfer program if that exists. It will save you a lot of money.
Last edited by dluu13; 02-16-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Kuro Madoushi
(02-17-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Mastermind Vade

Ask yourself if that's what you want. And then ignore it and go for a STEM degree.

Edit: Ok, STEM, health, or the trades.
Last edited by Kuro Madoushi; 02-17-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(02-17-2017, 03:58 AM)

Ask yourself if that's what you want. And then ignore it and go for a STEM degree.

:lol

I mean I agree

but :lol
Quick
(02-17-2017, 04:10 AM)

dluu13
(02-17-2017, 04:24 AM)

If you go into any degree not because you want to, be prepared to hate yourself for the next four to five years.

Or you can quit and do something you like instead. It's not uncommon for people to end up taking over five years to graduate because they figured out their passions were somewhere else.
Kuro Madoushi
(02-17-2017, 03:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Smiley90

:lol

I mean I agree

but :lol

To be honest, I'm not sure what I would even take if I was back to being a freshman...likely not English and East Asian Studies though.

Originally Posted by Quick

I imagine that to be #teamcold members being hit

If you go into any degree not because you want to, be prepared to hate yourself for the next four to five years.

Or you can quit and do something you like instead. It's not uncommon for people to end up taking over five years to graduate because they figured out their passions were somewhere else.

This is why I hate North American higher education. I think Sweden has a better set up where you're studying what you're going to doing.

If education were free, I'd say go ahead. Study whatever the hell you want. Make yourself a better person. When you have to PAY for it, I'll tell any and all people who say to go to university to "better" yourself to eat a yellow snowball. If you're spending that much, there'd better be a goddamn return on it in my opinion.
yyzjohn
(02-17-2017, 03:07 PM)
Sorry I misled you guys, weather update now:

Unf unf unf!
Lexxism
(02-17-2017, 03:08 PM)

I imagine that to be #teamcold members being hit

It's not 30+ with humidity. I'm good
Zombie James
(02-17-2017, 03:09 PM)

Unf unf unf!

The good news is it's still February. It's going to hit that temperature for maybe half an hour before crashing down again.

I think positive.
Cripplegate
(02-17-2017, 03:09 PM)
I'm not soultron lucky, but a TTC token machine did just have a weird(ly generous) fit yesterday when I gave it a $20. It spat out almost twice as much change as usual, and coughed up an extra two tokens to boot. Felt great.
yyzjohn
(02-17-2017, 03:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Zombie James

The good news is it's still February. It's going to hit that temperature for maybe half an hour before crashing down again.

I think positive.

You like the cold and snow so much, go to New Brunswick buddy. ;)
Kuro Madoushi
(02-17-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Cripplegate

I'm not soultron lucky, but a TTC token machine did just have a weird(ly generous) fit yesterday when I gave it a $20. It spat out almost twice as much change as usual, and coughed up an extra two tokens to boot. Felt great.

WE NEED TO HIRE TOKEN MACHINE INSPECTORS TO STOP THIS BLEEDING...!
dluu13
(02-17-2017, 04:04 PM)

This is why I hate North American higher education. I think Sweden has a better set up where you're studying what you're going to doing.

If education were free, I'd say go ahead. Study whatever the hell you want. Make yourself a better person. When you have to PAY for it, I'll tell any and all people who say to go to university to "better" yourself to eat a yellow snowball. If you're spending that much, there'd better be a goddamn return on it in my opinion.

I'm have no idea what it's like in Sweden.
I'm sure glad we have the freedom to mess up a couple of times though. In China though, their middle school entrance exam marks could very well mess up everything that comes after. And while I'm sure most of us spent high school playing video games and screwing around, my friend says their high school years were the most stressful of their lives. For all that hard work, we both ended up in the same place. There's not much you can do about it though, with China's population being so outrageously high.

Originally Posted by Zombie James

I think positive.

But it is positive ;)
Honestly I think I just like weather more on the extreme ends.
Junior Mint
(02-17-2017, 04:06 PM)
I need to get in on this token machine fuckery
Kuro Madoushi
(02-17-2017, 04:13 PM)

I'm have no idea what it's like in Sweden.
I'm sure glad we have the freedom to mess up a couple of times though. In China though, their middle school entrance exam marks could very well mess up everything that comes after. And while I'm sure most of us spent high school playing video games and screwing around, my friend says their high school years were the most stressful of their lives. For all that hard work, we both ended up in the same place. There's not much you can do about it though, with China's population being so outrageously high.

Asia in general is a lot more hardcore but I also think it's not ideal there either. Way too much rote memorization. I feel bad for the kids, BUT you're better off cramming all that stuff in when you're younger vs when you're older and working. Although I did have a lot of adult students as well...

Originally Posted by Junior Mint

I need to get in on this token machine fuckery

Just use protection...?
dluu13
(02-17-2017, 04:26 PM)

Asia in general is a lot more hardcore but I also think it's not ideal there either. Way too much rote memorization. I feel bad for the kids, BUT you're better off cramming all that stuff in when you're younger vs when you're older and working. Although I did have a lot of adult students as well...

Just use protection...?

What I mean to say is that Asia is too hardcore and allows little flexibility for future paths, especially seeing how some students here end up having to try a bunch of subjects before finding one they like. It's not like they have a choice though. There are so many people and the competition is so fierce that any non-conventional means of testing students' aptitudes would likely turn out to be a logistical nightmare.
Deraldin
(02-17-2017, 05:17 PM)

Unf unf unf!

The literal worst.
Kuro Madoushi
(02-17-2017, 08:21 PM)

What I mean to say is that Asia is too hardcore and allows little flexibility for future paths, especially seeing how some students here end up having to try a bunch of subjects before finding one they like. It's not like they have a choice though. There are so many people and the competition is so fierce that any non-conventional means of testing students' aptitudes would likely turn out to be a logistical nightmare.

Testing them is easy. Put them all on an island by age, have them wear explosive collars that go off if you leave the island, give them all weapons, give them a time limit to eliminate all other students or the collars go off, winner passes.
Fuzzy
I would bang a hot farmer!
(02-17-2017, 08:26 PM)

Testing them is easy. Put them all on an island by age, have them wear explosive collars that go off if you leave the island, give them all weapons, give them a time limit to eliminate all other students or the collars go off, winner passes.

Fucking Hunger Games ripoff. /s
Renewed
(02-17-2017, 10:53 PM)
Why the fuck can't I get in on this token lottery... oh right Presto. I've not been fucked over by the transfer so that's good? And hey bless the times it's OoS.

FYI meetup is next Saturday. I'm doing y'all a favour with KFC first.
StrangeRoboMemory
(02-17-2017, 11:50 PM)
Presto has its own **~lifehack~** if you're lucky enough to get on a bus with a broken Presto machine!
Kuro Madoushi
(02-18-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Renewed

Why the fuck can't I get in on this token lottery... oh right Presto. I've not been fucked over by the transfer so that's good? And hey bless the times it's OoS.

FYI meetup is next Saturday. I'm doing y'all a favour with KFC first.

Good luck. Hopefully, I'll be there.

As I wrote, I had the opposite: new streetcar going West and Presto worked, but the machines did not. I didn't have my Presto card yet and I'm not sure I would've used it regardless. Fix your shit, TTC!
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(02-18-2017, 01:32 AM)
Toronto-GAF, what do you have to say for yourselves

-Deimos
(02-18-2017, 02:17 AM)
Sober
(02-18-2017, 02:58 AM)

To be quite honest I feel like since November a certain subset of white people (white trash) have actually gotten more brazenly stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if these people drive down from Thunder Bay or something.
Cripplegate
(02-18-2017, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Sober

I wouldn't be surprised if these people drive down from Thunder Bay or something.

ZZMitch
(02-18-2017, 05:44 AM)
Weird, I walked by there often in my undergrad days.
BigJonsson
(02-18-2017, 08:15 AM)
Best BBQ joints besides Barque and Stockyards?
Smoque N Bones any good? Lou Dawg? Others?
Kuro Madoushi
(02-18-2017, 09:44 AM)

Originally Posted by BigJonsson

Best BBQ joints besides Barque and Stockyards?
Smoque N Bones any good? Lou Dawg? Others?

Guess I'm partial to Hogtown Smoke but there's supposed to be a good BBQ place at Kensington.
Kave_Man
come in my shame circle
(02-18-2017, 02:41 PM)

On the plus it was only about a dozen idiots.

And hey if you're going to post that, at least post the aftermath as well: