• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

I prefer Gotenks.

c8f2e1e3c08216883441e40d60d9066a78521a62_hq.gif

Ashodin

Vegeta even said it himself. The boys are worthless unless they're Gotenks, and fusion only lasts so long.

They need to outgrow the fusion crutch.

kitzkozan

Caulifla and Kale have gotten the most development for u6 this tournament so obviously they're gonna play a big part later on

Super has far surpassed GT in terms of character development even if it's paper thin lol. I'm still baffled when I think of GT and Toei throwing everyone under the bus to highlight Goku when we know he's the bread and butter of the franchise anyway. o_O Vegeta and Trunk were trash and Gohan wasn't even fit to be a joke lol.

If Dragon Ball 2018 is a movie I hope it's an original story.
I'm personally hoping it's a sequel series to Super that won't have it's name announced right away, hence the 2018 domain.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm in agreement here. I was introduced to Goku first, but I like Luffy and Gon better. I think there's just more character there.

Oh easily. The current arc for OP just reiterated for me several times why Luffy's basically a much more refined Goku.

I prefer Gotenks.

Man, it was such a bad idea to bog these two kids down to this fusion. I mean, at least if it actually got to accomplish something in the Buu Saga, that'd be something, but nope, couldn't even do that. And now they're kind of stuck in this state where DBS would have do a lot of heavy-lifting (that I'm not even sure they'd actually bother with, at least not anytime soon) to get them both to a place where Gotenks isn't the first thing we think about picturing Goten and Trunks together.

Zalman

Man, it was such a bad idea to bog these two kids down to this fusion. I mean, at least if it actually got to accomplish something in the Buu Saga, that'd be something, but nope, couldn't even do that. And now they're kind of stuck in this state where DBS would have do a lot of heavy-lifting (that I'm not even sure they'd actually bother with, at least not anytime soon) to get them both to a place where Gotenks isn't the first thing we think about picturing Goten and Trunks together.
I don't blame that on the fusion itself, but on the writers. They could easily have made them more independent in Super, but nope.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That isn't my problem with Gon. My problem is that he comes off as bland compared to everyone else around him since they're not walking Shounen cliches. Doesn't help that he's always paired with Killua who is probably one of the most interesting characters in the series, so it just highlights even more how bland Gon is.

Goku gets somewhat of a pass since he's the original and people copy him more or less. He also have the benefit of being an experience protagonist by the end of the original Dragon Ball instead of an upcoming rookie like Gon, Luffy, Naruto, and Eren. He also fills The Ace role that is normally given to other characters, like Ace (no pun really) was The Ace of One Piece or Levi is to AOT. In many ways, Goku is closer to Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin then most Shounen main characters.

Luffy charm is how he bounces, no pun intended, off other people and how he can just read people so well despite being a moron. That and he knows when to cut through the crap and get to the heart of the matter.

Gon isn't a bad main character, he's just subpar from what I have watched.

Gon is interesting because he's more-or-less a sociopath with the standard shonen MC traits. He cares about what he cares about and nothing else. He's interested in things he's interested in but nothing else. He could easily go darkside if he met the wrong person and they say something that caught his interest.

I do wonder how far in you are that you haven't noticed it yet.

HeroR

Gon is interesting because he's more-or-less a sociopath with the standard shonen MC traits. He cares about what he cares about and nothing else. He's interested in things he's interested in but nothing else. He could easily go darkside if he met the wrong person and they say something that caught his interest.

Gon isn't a sociopath even with the actions he will later do. Sociopaths care for no one but themselves and can't feel any real care or love for anyone else. Gon clearly can, but that love and care doesn't extend to strangers. Which makes him no different than most people in the world. Eren from AOT is a better example of a sociopath than Gon, and even he doesn't fit.

In fact, this explains sociopath better than me:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSociopath

Gon has almost none of these and Gon being prone to the dark side if things went differently is a common Shounen trope, see Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin. Also, given the type of world HxH is with its grey and grey morality, there isn't much air between good and bad characters anyway, so a dark side Gon wouldn't be any different from a good side Gon.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gon isn't a sociopath even with the actions he will later do. Sociopaths care for no one but themselves and can't feel any real care or love for anyone else. Gon clearly can, but that love and care doesn't extend to strangers. Which makes him no different than most people in the world. Eren from AOT is a better example of a sociopath than Gon, and even he doesn't fit.

In fact, this explains sociopath better than me:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSociopath

Gon has almost none of these and Gon being prone to the dark side if things went differently is a common Shounen trope, see Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin. Also, given the type of world HxH is with its grey and grey morality, there isn't much air between good and bad characters anyway, so a dark side Gon wouldn't be any different from a good side Gon.
Now Ging on the other hand...

Mendrox

If Dragon Ball 2018 is a movie I hope it's an original story.
I'm personally hoping it's a sequel series to Super that won't have it's name announced right away, hence the 2018 domain.

Where is that coming from? Dragon Ball 2018 a movie? Super is still running. Were there any news or NANI?!?!!?

Can't find anything on Saiyanisland or Kanzenshuu?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Where is that coming from? Dragon Ball 2018 a movie? Super is still running. Were there any news or NANI?!?!!?

Can't find anything on Saiyanisland or Kanzenshuu?
Some domain with that name was registered. Doesn't mean a movie is coming though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think kids grow apart. Eventually they will become their own. Teen/adult trunks is pretty independent, although maybe not out of choice.

I wonder if ssj blue gogeta will make an appearance for jiren.

Skeeter49

I think around the Future Trunks arc is when I said fuck it and started reading spoilers. Around when he got the Ikari form.

Part of that might have been because some of you are bad at talking around spoilers.

Rising_Hei

I'd say he's more of a psychopath, and psychopaths can be really good people. Sociopaths really can't.
But the reality is, i think he just has to keep growing up, he's a kid lol, and his environment seems to allow him to do so.

He's not really a sociopath, his feelings are geniune. He's just an utterly naive, selfish child who knows nothing of the world. He's experience the real world for the first time, and in it the dark oppressive world of being a hunter. He literally responds to everything as a child would. If any of you have kids, especially at the toddler stage...that's basically Gon in a nutshell. He cries and says things aren't fair, asks why he can't do X when A did Y, etc.

A pretty good thought piece on Gon.

Skeeter49

I'll take a future arc with Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, and Hitto.

I like Hit's dynamic with them, and even with the little they've interacted, I think they've interacted well together.

Piers

I am probably one of two people in the world who didn't like GT's ending, mostly because it was an incomprehensible mind screw.
It's a stretch but I often wonder if the writers were taking influence from Evangelion, which had the TV show end a year before/film debut months prior. The ambiguity is just uncharacteristic of Dragon Ball, and several anime were then influenced by the series.
Taking away the Dragon Balls (and likewise Goku) for a century (?) to encourage independency from them seemed like a nice way to end the series. It then just rubs off as weird and almost unsettling when Goku ups and vanishes, whilst telling Vegeta to shush before he opens his mouth.

I do hope Dragon Ball Super ends with some sort of moment between Goku and Bulma as a bookend between the first issue and now.

Rutger

Banned
Now Ging on the other hand...
I could easily see Gon pulling what Ging did if he ever has a kid honestly.
He's not really a sociopath, his feelings are geniune. He's just an utterly naive, selfish child who knows nothing of the world. He's experience the real world for the first time, and in it the dark oppressive world of being a hunter. He literally responds to everything as a child would. If any of you have kids, especially at the toddler stage...that's basically Gon in a nutshell. He cries and says things aren't fair, asks why he can't do X when A did Y, etc.

A pretty good thought piece on Gon.

This is pretty good.
If someone just looks at Gon at a surface level then I'm not surprised if they walk away thinking he is a pretty standard shonen lead. However carefully watching his interactions with other characters and we start to see that those traits that make him seem standard are being explored in a way no other shonen series has approached, and how he is absolutely vital to HxH's narrative.

HeroR

Toddlers are sociopaths.

Sociopath is a mental disorder, so toddlers wouldn't be sociopaths since their brains are still developing and they literally don't know any better. And toddlers can have care and love for others, they're just more selfish.

I'd say he's more of a psychopath, and psychopaths can be really good people. Sociopaths really can't.
But the reality is, i think he just has to keep growing up, he's a kid lol, and his environment seems to allow him to do so.

To nitpick, a psychopath is a sociopath. In the medical world, there is no such thing as a psychopath. That word is only used in the media.

Top Bottom