• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garfield creator Jim Davis drew a Galactus story for upcoming Marvel comic

ElNarez

Banned
http://ew.com/books/2017/10/16/garf...l&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Over the last few years, the movies and TV shows of the Marvel Cinematic Universe have established a consistent, mainstream tone for Marvel stories — witty and sarcastic, but also bright and earnest. The heroes are lovable goofballs, the villains are try-hard failures. But comics, of course, allow for a much wider range of tones and moods of storytelling. The recent run on Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (from writer Ryan North, artist Erica Henderson, and colorist Rico Renzi) has been proof positive of this — injecting the superhero genre with compassion, kindness, and colorful wackiness — and November’s issue will take it even further. Issue #26 of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl will be styled as a zine made by Squirrel Girl and her super-powered peers, with different artists providing styles for different heroes-turned-artists. The roster includes none other than Garfield creator Jim Davis, who illustrated a story from the perspective of Galactus.

33FqdQH.jpg

Not

Banned
This makes me very happy

I love the Kirbyesque details. For all the lazy, cynical outsourcing shit he pulled with his strip, Davis has a great cartoonist's eye

MrHoot

I like that the first strip is actually exactly like the first garfield strip, and it works...

Now where could my planet sized pipe be

RMI

Banned
This is great. I learned to read with old Garfield comic strip collections. I had like 30 volumes of them or so as a kid.

I'll quote the McElroy brothers here and laugh at the fact that everyone has managed to make Garfield funny except Jim Davis.

Nice to see he's kind of catching on.

Ivan 3414

Why assume it’s a “big deal”?

I mean, it's like shitting on Charles Shultz for drawing all his Peanuts characters with the same face. The art isn't the draw. We generally don't look to Sunday comics for amazing art, although quite a few artists are talented even if their comics don't speak for it.

Just don't see why it's worth criticizing. Marvel probably contacted Davis because they wanted a comic in the style of Garfield.

PSqueak

Banned
People have fun with Galactus

I loved the sheer absurdity of this one,

Didn't it end in something like Galactus explaining how she spawned out of him and a shot showing that a new galactus-like being was gonna spawn off from her? (ie, she was "pregnant")

I'll quote the McElroy brothers here and laugh at the fact that everyone has managed to make Garfield funny except Jim Davis.

That's a dumb quote then. Garfield was a funny strip that got popular, at which point Jim Davis decided it was time to get paid and did just that. Can't fault him for doing so.

Beartruck

Davis designed Garfield from the start to be a popular commercial product. He knows and he's ok with it. He's basically at the point where he's wealthy to the point of it no longer mattering so he just has fun with his fans and yucks it up. Heck, he actually wrote the intro to Garfield minus Garfield's collection.

Sheroking

Jim Davis arrived to the conclusion that Garfield wasn't funny 20 years before the internet did the parody thing.

It was a fun enough strip in the early to mid-80s. Nothing GOAT tier or anything, but a good deal better than some of the other shit in the papers.

Slayven

I loved the sheer absurdity of this one,

Didn't it end in something like Galactus explaining how she spawned out of him and a shot showing that a new galactus-like being was gonna spawn off from her? (ie, she was "pregnant")

Yes, she finds out she is basically a cosmic tapeworm

Well, they got a smile out of me.

I came in expecting the worst.

Also if I say that Galactus' daughter is my waifu, does that mean that our planet gets eaten?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Garfield was legit funny when you were 12 and also if that was 1982.

I feel like Slayven (Jim Davis' Herald) should have prepared us for this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Heh nice. Now to see if they can lure Bill Watterson out of his hole to do something for Marvel.

Top Bottom