• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did something happen with PAX or Penny Arcade today?

jbug617

Banned
Just noticed on twitter some games journalists have been saying that they feel uncomfortable going to PAX now. Did something happen?

Here is an example:
I have close friends who I think would be uncomfortable with going to PAX, and that makes me uncomfortable with going.
https://twitter.com/pkollar/status/347785543469367296
publishers: if i have to hold my nose to cover your thing at a convention due to its organizers, how long til that reflects on you?
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/347763134871785472

snorggy

just gabe being an insensitive dick again...

(I think he tweeted some insensitive things about transgender people)

def sim

Gabe apparently made some insensitive comments on twitter about transgendered people. I didn't look into it further than some tweets saying so.

Soviet

Banned
The small guy from PA made some comments about the fact that woman should have a vagina, which was taken as transphobic.

I could be wrong though.

papercamm

People have been accusing him of transphobia based on some comments he's made on twitter. This started a few weeks back and it's picking up again today.

Not sure about PAX, but with all this:

https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/347751031708463105
@juliepagano if thinking that all women have a vagina makes me a monster than yes I am a monster.

https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/347751726738202624
@juliepagano I don't think it is a mistake though. I seriously believe women have vaginas. I think you call a person with a vagina a woman.

https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/347751915603501058
@TheSpideryOne @juliepagano if you use the word "cis" I probably will hate you too.

https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/347752256466219008
heads up if you use the word "cis" save yourself some time and don't bother tweeting at me.

smh...

He's being a dick. I expect that someone in the thread will defend this, though, just like the "LOL RAPE!" stuff a year or so ago.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm trying to understand all this and it's going directly over my head.

Why is he upset in the first place? What is he arguing against?

Part of it was the description of a panel at PAX Aus, which I am too lazy to look up, but at first was insulting to visible minorities / women - and then was changed after some complaints came up. This is the "fixed" text: http://aus.paxsite.com/schedule/pan...y-forgotten-that-games-are-supposed-to-be-fun

Also dickwolves.

I was going to not go back to PAX East bcs the panels were terrible the last 2 years, but now I have an even better reason to "KEEP ALL MY MONIES"

Dumboz being dumboz.

edit: found it!

omi4yif.png

Cartman86

Banned
This has been going on for years now. Dickwolves, tentacle rape kickstarters, trans ignorance etc. Surprised people aren't more aware... Oh wait no I'm not. Fuck Penny Arcade.

ido

He is quite intentionally being a dick here, despite probably knowing everything people are explaining to him.

Duffyside

Banned
There was a panel for PAX Aus where it was described as being a discussion about over-sensitive criticism, and it specified something like "anything with titilation is called sexist, and anything featuring a white Anglo-saxon male is racist." People called these panelists "hateful bigots" and threw a fit.

The description of the panel was changed. People were still angry.

Mike (Gabe) said that it was their panel and if people don't like it they shouldn't go to it. PAX is about open discussion. People were infuriated.

A few weeks ago Mike said something about "if you have a vagina, you're a woman," laughing a Kotaku article. This infuriated people, and the recent PAX Aus events made those people go back to it today, at least that's the only connection I see so far.

Mike doubled-down on those comments. He thinks if you have a vagina, you're a woman. He says he's not going to ask about your genitals, and if you present yourself as a woman he will treat you as one, but that that doesn't change physiology, or something to this effect.

Best summary I can conjure. Figured this would become a big deal.

On a side note, I think it's neat that Arthur Gies makes it known that he can't do his job and report fairly on games at a gaming convention because not everything surrounding him is up to his own political standards.

ido

Reading the apology...

Wanna be a guy or a girl or a fox or whatever and I will be happy to treat you that way.

Really?

He either doesn't understand the difference between sex and gender, or he is just a complete asshole.

shuri

Banned
I'm lost and getting old.

He said that persons with vaginas are women and that he hates it when people use the word "cis" is used and this is offensive? I was expecting something a bit more raw..

edit: oh wait people are offended about previous comments it seems. Discard.

edit2: wait, no. Wtf i'm lost. Why is this offensive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mike posted this a sec ago: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/06/19/twiiter-sucks-sometimes

Maybe he learned a lesson? I dunno.

Man, fuck this guy and everyone who blames people reacting negatively to their ignorant bullshit on the medium in which they convey it.

Oh, Twitter sucks for conversations. Boo hoo! Sorry, but you're not being taken out of context. Your ignorant and insensitive comments don't need to be fleshed out in a blog post. They wouldn't sound any better in a long-form essay as they do in under 180 characters on Twitter.

So sick and tired of people acting like they are misunderstood when they realize their words on Twitter and other social media platforms have weight. It's no different than saying what you wrote in front of a crowd of tens of thousands.

I don't think Twitter as a medium had anything to do with him announcing his viewpoint that "women should have vaginas." There's nothing to misunderstand there. No hidden nuance that couldn't be conveyed because he ran out of characters. He doesn't think that people without vaginas should be considered women. Simple as that.

There was a panel for PAX Aus where it was described as being a discussion about over-sensitive criticism, and it specified something like "anything with titilation is called sexist, and anything featuring a white Anglo-saxon male is racist." People called these panelists "hateful bigots" and threw a fit.

Mike (Gabe) said that it was their panel and if people don't like it they shouldn't go to it. PAX is about open discussion. People were infuriated.

A few weeks ago Mike said something about "if you have a vagina, you're a woman," laughing a Kotaku article. This infuriated people, and the recent PAX Aus events made those people go back to it today, at least that's the only connection I see so far.

Mike doubled-down on those comments. He thinks if you have a vagina, you're a woman. He says he's not going to ask about your genitals, and if you present yourself as a woman he will treat you as one, but that that doesn't change physiology, or something to this effect.

On a side note, I think it's neat that Arthur Gies makes it known that he can't do his job and report fairly on games at a gaming convention because not everything surrounding him is up to his own political standards.

Oh, was it the Kotaku article where Hernandez slammed a sexual health game for women because "not all women have a vagina"?

Geedorah

That's kinda, sorta an apology. Maybe.

Why'd he ever feel the need to apologize? After reading the emails back and forth, I don't see the problem - if anything, it's a language issue, people getting hung up on what it is to be "male/a man" "female/ a woman" and any combination there-of. All very silly if you ask me... he is just a "Comic Man"...

Jeez, anything and everything will set people off these days.

Cartman86

Banned
Oh, was it the Kotaku article where Hernandez slammed a sexual health game for women because "not all women have a vagina"?

I wouldn't say she slammed it. But she brought up pointed from people objecting to it ignoring that not all women have vaginas and it inherently was a warping of sex positivity. Instead of promoting masterbation as healthy it essentially shamed people who didn't masterbate enough.

Sibylus

Banned
He's shooting his mouth off from a position of ignorance, as per usual. See amusing tweet decrying the use of the world "cis", despite the fact that cis/trans antonyms having literally existed for thousands of years (long before there was anything resembling a transgender movement).

I did not know being transphobic was a thing. That being said I agree with the stance that however you want to be presented is how you should be addressed as.

Internet overreacting as usual.

I don't even understand why people get so upset about what a random person says on Twitter. Who cares? People say messed up stuff everywhere, why even give them your attention? If you honestly KNOW the person, that's one thing, but if you don't then why bother? I guess some people just love the drama.

Top Bottom