• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Diamond

I wonder if in another 5 years the kids who grew up Federer are going to come on the scene and we are going to have dozens of Fed-lites who emulate a lot of his strokes and the way he plays.

That could end up being pretty cool.

I have been watching pro tennis since the early 80s and I have never seen anyone with a game as beautiful as Federer. The way everyone young kid on the tour learned from Tiger it would be cool if the same thing happened in tennis.

It's true Federer is in a very particular place compared to his predecessors : it's the first tennis superstar who benefited from Youtube and social media during his career, which are perfectly adapted to his playstyle which produces a lot of highlight reels. It greatly contributed to the immense popularity he has today.

Wawrinka and him are formidable arguments in favor of the one-handed backhand, a shot that a lot of trainers stopped teaching in favor of two-handed backhands. It will be interesting to see if this sets new trends for the years to come.

I wonder if in another 5 years the kids who grew up Federer are going to come on the scene and we are going to have dozens of Fed-lites who emulate a lot of his strokes and the way he plays.

the kids that grew up on Federer are already here.
his most dominant period was from 2004-2007.

leng jai

the kids that grew up on Federer are already here.
his most dominant period was from 2004-2007.

Actually most of the juniors I see at my local clubs are mainly Nadal and Djokovic bots. Their play styles are much easier to replicate than Federer's, it's rare as hell to see a good junior with a single handed backhand around here these days.

Actually most of the juniors I see at my local clubs are mainly Nadal and Djokovic bots. Their play styles are much easier to replicate than Federer's, it's rare as hell to see a good junior with a single handed backhand around here these days.

that's what i meant. the kids that the big 4 inspired are already here and it's quite clear that there is no new federer on the horizon (in terms of playstyle).

I like how Murray and Djokovic's poor start to 2017 opened the door for some young talent to contest the big titles. To be fair, Kyrgios has been excellent this season.

Federer's flatter backhand is just destroying the tour. Smart scheduling to skip the clay and protect his body. A few months ago he wasn't sure if he'd last a tournament and now he's winning back to back Masters. Best not to push it too far ahead of the summer.

Diamond

that's what i meant. the kids that the big 4 inspired are already here and it's quite clear that there is no new federer on the horizon (in terms of playstyle).

Same here : people with one-handed backhands are not so rare at amateur level, but the higher you go in the ranks, the rarer they become.

Playing a two-hander is a lot easier when you're young. Easier to deal with high balls, easier to apply power and spin with two arms instead of one.

When you need to have results very early, and are too young to have a strong opinion of where you want to take your game when you're older, you often don't have a choice. Really it's the trainers role to consider the one-hander as a valid option.

Ricker

It would be kind of cool if Ostapenko could beat Baroni right now(third set) and set up a final in Charleston against Kasatkina,two 19 year olds...

In other news,Genie accepted a Wild Card for an ITF tournament next week...might be a good idea to try and get a few wins in to break her awful slump right now.

Ricker

Poor Genie...she might loose in the first round again at the ITF tourney in Indian Harbour Beach against # 601 Morgan...2 2 in the third set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Monte-Carlo projected QFs based on seeding:

Murray-Cilic
Wawrinka-Tsonga
Nadal-Dimitrov
Djokovic-Thiem

first glance, could get Zverev-Nadal in the third round, maybe a Kohlschreiber-Murray rematch in the third round, Djokovic-Simon in the second round lol

oti

Banned
Bouchard lost today 6-0, 6-3 to a girl ranked #896 (Vicky Duval). Over the past two years Duval has recovered from Leukemia and more recently a knee surgery.

Duval was born in Miami and spent some of her childhood in Haiti, including time training at the JOTAC Tennis Academy in Port-au-Prince. While living in Port-au-Prince, Duval was robbed at gunpoint and held hostage at her aunt's house at the age of 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Duval

Damn.

sam777

What has actually happened to Bouchard? From being on the verge of winning slams to looking like a amateur in the space of 2 years.

NSFW

Frances Tiafoe played Mitchell Krueger on the ATP Challenger Tour in Florida, Sarasota Open.

Preparing to serve midway through the second set, Tiafoe stopped and looked up with childish glee upon hearing sounds that can only mean one thing — some randy lovers were getting it on. Naked style.
A woman's impressively loud moaning was echoing across the court, completely distracting both players.
While Tiafoe giggled to himself, Krueger went over to the chair umpire, grabbed a ball and smashed it out of the court to where the scene of passion was playing out.
The love-making continued for a couple of minutes, prompting Tiafoe to yell out: ”It can't be that good."

YT Video: happens a couple of times in the 3mins video.

LuuKyK

So... Serena is 20 weeks pregnant, and she just announced it today which happens to also be Maria's birthday. Lol

Congrats to her anyway!

Happy for Serena. If it was anyone else I'd say pregnant at 35 is curtains on her career, but not for her - she could just as well come back and win next year's US Open.

Top Bottom