• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts on PC demands 6GB of RAM.. yet it uses <2GB

Dmented

Banned
I bet there's a setting in the options that states "GTX 780: "

If you enable it, you lose like 30 fps or something unless you have a GTX 780. But nothing else happens.

This. It wouldn't surprise me if that becomes a "thing". Ultra settings on games doing nothing but limiting your framerate to make it seem like some insane graphical feature was just enabled.

gzero

Modern operating systems use free RAM for caching files. The numbers reported by task manager don't take into account files that are in the buffer cache. If you have to go back to a slow HDD to load assets all the time, I can see the game performing poorly. But having ~3-4GB available for caching resources plus 1-2GB for game code makes a lot more sense.

GodofWine

Has any of the following occurred yet;

1. Has the dog made its appearance?
2. If so, has it opened its jaw?
3. Have you seen fish?
4 If so, have they swam away from you?

If no to these, you have not unleashed the need for RAM.

kulapik

"Infinity Ward said we needed 6GB RAM, but it only used 2GB."

iw6sp64_ship_2013_11_04_17_11_07_45.png

...you're not Sajjaja.

I'm guessing they locked the FOV because it would mess up their cut-scenes. The graphics options look pretty decent otherwise. It even has SMAA according to someone in that thread.

Marketing Rep: Our game requires 6GB
Devs: WTF is he talking about?
Marketing/Bosses: We are not saying it was a mistake. MAKE IT REQUIRE 6GB!!

Lazaro

6GB sounds like their Developer environment during production.

If it's really 2GB now doesn't it make it a 32-bit application? Or has it been ported from the Xbox One or PS4 version where 3GB is their amount of usable RAM?

I don't play COD but Treyarch seems to be better devs than Infinity Ward.

Sethos

Banned
I remember changing the FoV, some of them must have had that possibility.

Yeah, Treyarch's games as they seem to give somewhat of a shit about PC gamers. The lobbies also stayed cheat-free for quite awhile. IW doesn't give a shit about PC, no FOV, no nothing.

Riggs

Banned
As much as this really sucks, and makes absolutely no sense from a technical level ....

Who wants to play this shit? I know millions obviously do so that's a dumb question, but I still gotta ask, who wants to play this shit? I wouldn't even pirate CoD games they are so bad, the weapons have no recoil what so ever .... the AI is dumb as fuck, MP battles are basically like inviting 15 of you to my small ass apartment and having a gun battle inside of it, spawn die spawn die spawn die, perks are horrible now, player base is completely chalk full of horrible people I wouldn't pay to play with, and the series has been used up more then Kim Kardashian's supply of Emuaid.

I think that covers everything hopefully, now IW fix this so I can play your game!!

Sorry for hating btw I know that was extremely OT, my dog ate all my meds so I am a bit off.

6GB sounds like their Developer environment during production.

If it's really 2GB now doesn't it make it a 32-bit application? Or has it been ported from the Xbox One or PS4 version where 3GB is their amount of usable RAM?

I don't play COD but Treyarch seems to be better devs than Infinity Ward.

You can still use only 2GB on a 64 bit application. It just has the possibility to use more. And 3GB could still be a 32 bit application.

And this entire situation is laughable, this is one of the PC ports Nvidia was so proud of?

OmegaDL50

You know this memory limit reminds me of some PC games that were only 32-Bit Address aware.

Even if you had enough memory to reach the games requirements, the game could only address up to 4GB, some times the game would never reach that and it would crash to desktop with an out of memory error.

I do hope this isn't the issue with Ghosts, in that the game is supposed to support 6GB of Ram, but the game's executable isn't 64-Bit aware hence the error message with less then 2GB used.

This could probably fixed with a patch, but the system requirements for the game says it needs 6GB then why would such a simple mistake be made in the first (If that is indeed the problem)

aravuus

As much as this really sucks, and makes absolutely no sense from a technical level ....

Who wants to play this shit? I know millions obviously do so that's a dumb question, but I still gotta ask, who wants to play this shit? I wouldn't even pirate CoD games they are so bad, the weapons have no recoil what so ever .... the AI is dumb as fuck, MP battles are basically like inviting 15 of you to my small ass apartment and having a gun battle inside of it, spawn die spawn die spawn die, perks are horrible now, player base is completely chalk full of horrible people I wouldn't pay to play with, and the series has been used up more then Kim Kardashian's supply of Emuaid.

I think that covers everything hopefully, now IW fix this so I can play your game!!

Sorry for hating btw I know that was extremely OT, my dog ate all my meds so I am a bit off.

Lol.

Whatever, as long as my GTX 560 can run it on all high (like it fucking should, the game isn't good looking), I'm good.

This is pretty hilarious though.

Tak3n

Banned
I am not going to stand here and defend IW

Whether you think it needs 6GB of ram or not is not actually the point..

The problem is the steam forums is full of people saying "OMG I cant run the game" Cry Cry Cry

These are the same people that have chosen to ignore the min spec requirements that have been made public for over a month...

/sympathy off!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, those screens aren't half bad. It's not amazing looking or anything but the level of detail seems to be stepped up from BO2 and other games in the series. The general shading is also better (actually ambient occlusion, for instance).

Riggs

Banned
Lol.

Whatever, as long as my GTX 560 can run it on all high (like it fucking should, the game isn't good looking), I'm good.

This is pretty hilarious though.

Hah sorry, ya your 560 should be fine man. My 680 only hurts in BF4 and Metro LL if I really abuse the settings. Thinking of getting another for SLI : ( My wallet hates me.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Hah sorry, ya your 560 should be fine man. My 680 only hurts in BF4 and Metro LL if I really abuse the settings. Thinking of getting another for SLI : ( My wallet hates me.

I'm a breath away from ebaying my 680 and putting the money towards a 290x or 780ti. Then I remember new consoles are coming and I want to have a good reason to play them, so maybe I'll just enjoy console versions for a bit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This is terrible news, it will half the PC community which is already tiny. Nearly 60% of Steam users use less than 6GB.

There is no way in hell Ghosts uses 6GB, not even close, no game does. People are reporting 2GB max.

I just don't see why they'd do this, it has completely ruined my night of CoD as my friend only has 4GB. Yes the min spec says 6GB but if it doesn't use or need it why enforce it so aggressively?

Damaniel

Banned
It's silly to artificially require the game to need 6GB of RAM, yet only use 2. However, if you're running a gaming PC and have less than 6GB of RAM these days, you're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom