• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA holding live conf on PS4 today at Morgan Stanley tech conf [Up: Summary in OP]

Rapstah

Apparently they have been promoting many smaller titles rather than a few big titles? FIFA and Battlefield mentioned.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, so what did they exactly say about pricing? They said they're expecting games to be priced 69.99$ at the beginning, and then to be at 59.99$, like at this gen's beginning? Is that right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, so what did they exactly say about pricing? They said they're expecting games to be priced 69.99$ at the beginning, and then to be at 59.99$? Is that right?

He said that at the beginning of this generation, games were $69, but they went down to $59 after about a year.

If this makes no sense to you, this is because this didn't happen, and he's confused because he joined the game industry in 2011 and actually doesn't know otherwise.

It's possible that the console makers were considering $69 MSRP at one point for 360/PS3 and changed that before announcing it to the public, and someone at EA told him this, but he misunderstood and thought they meant they actually released at that price.

Raven77

If it takes a game being 70 dollars to keep me from getting pestered to death with 40 pieces of DLC to get the full game, then bring it on, its 10 frigging dollars more people.

On the other hand, if they just raise it to 70 bucks and continue to degrade the gaming market by withholding content to make more money, then I obviously do not approve.

Biggzy

Tell that to Nintendo... ;)

I knew of course, but the same names keep popping up with seemingly bad PS4 news and good Durango news and then it gets shot down officially, but they continue to FUD threads.

They still give Nintendo a bone with FIFA and Madden. ;)

Clearly, those days of EA doing a lot of new IPs and weirder stuff last gen sound over now. Consolidation is a big word. Sounds like they aren't interested in taking on more titles outside of maybe mobile gaming.

He said that at the beginning of this generation, games were $69, but they went down to $59 after about a year.

If this makes no sense to you, this is because this didn't happen, and he's confused because he joined the game industry in 2011 and actually doesn't know otherwise.

Maybe he is Canadian. Prices in Canada used to be $69 and came down to $59 with the dollar parity.

Nokterian

Well here in europe it is all ready 69 euro's for console games. That price will blow up to 80 euro's at least. So everyone from america is in a way cheaper since those company's thing $=€ not in what the real price is. I am sticking with PC gaming for dirt cheap games and even triple AAA for that matter.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
For once I don't make a thread criticizing Uncharted 3 and it is an utter failure! I need to stick to my strengths.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Unfortunately, I remember it happening here in Europe, but maybe I'm wrong.
So did he say just this OR he said that + "It could happen again?"?

kaskade

If it takes a game being 70 dollars to keep me from getting pestered to death with 40 pieces of DLC to get the full game, then bring it on, its 10 frigging dollars more people.

On the other hand, if they just raise it to 70 bucks and continue to degrade the gaming market by withholding content to make more money, then I obviously do not approve.

Well that's what they would do.

I don't see games being over 60 next gen though. Guy just has no idea what he's talking about.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

He was right that prices dropped from launch prices to a later, stabilized price.

He was wrong about the amounts he used as an example.

He then stated he expected the same to happen for Gen 4.

i.e Prices will be higher at launch and then drop.

he then specifically said that they had not settled on prices for Gen 4 games yet.

A mountain is being made out of a molehill by those that either are not listening, or want to inflame for whatever reason.

Servbot24

Banned

10 dollars more than something that was too expensive to begin with. And don't think for a second they're going to put DLC to rest just because they're charging a higher entry fee now.

King_Moc

Banned
Acti were already doing this, so i'm not surprised. Why is it that the companies that are making the most money as it is are the ones doing this when they least need to. All their yearly update games must cost less to make than other companies as well.

Good luck with that.

JWong

Banned

It's possible that the console makers were considering $69 MSRP at one point for 360/PS3 and changed that before announcing it to the public, and someone at EA told him this, but he misunderstood and thought they meant they actually released at that price.

I think a number of PS3 launch titles were at $70. Maybe because I'm in Canada and it was a Canada tax, so I'm not sure about the States or other places.

I remember Heavenly Sword being $70.

Edit: Beaten

Rapstah

This guy really seems to want to unify the backend powering the games for all platform, like NFS: Most Wanted 2012 does. He's mentioned it twice now.

Raven77

10 dollars more than something that was too expensive to begin with. And don't think for a second they're going to put DLC to rest just because they're charging a higher entry fee now.

Geez, people on Gaf are the worst at reading the whole post.

I CLEARLY posted in the next line that you didn't quote, that if they kept the same business practices of withholding content even after raising the price then I obviously wouldn't approve of the price raise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clearly, those days of EA doing a lot of new IPs and weirder stuff last gen sound over now. Consolidation is a big word. Sounds like they aren't interested in taking on more titles outside of maybe mobile gaming.

They have 3-5 new IPs in development for next-gen, but given they're a 9000+ person company, that's quite a small number.

This guy really seems to want to unify the backend powering the games for all platform, like NFS: Most Wanted 2012 does. He's mentioned it twice now.

Yes that was specifically what he was hired to do actually.

PrimeRib_

I recall Sony said no price increase for games (nothing planned anyway) but maybe we'll see a varying price between first party games and third party games?

Top Bottom