• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's enough for maps, inventories and all kinds of menus, and that's what most games seem to use the GamePad for. And I don't think Nintendo mandates anything whatsoever these days.

I would be nice if devs gave gamers an option to have the WiiUpad screen on or off. With off allowing higher resolution/better frame rates/better AA etc...

On the other hand. If you're not using your tv at all. Just using the WiiUpad as the main screen. I fully expect games to be running at a solid 60fps and lots of nice AA.

The 3DS doesn't require 3D for games. Wii U won't have to use the Gamepad, though most will. I highly doubt something like a map/inventory/touch control interface or aiming is going to sap that much of the console's power. It doesn't have to stream to the controller for every single game.

wsippel

Banned
I would be nice if devs gave gamers an option to have the WiiUpad screen on or off. With off allowing higher resolution/better frame rates/better AA etc...
Turning off the GamePad screen would make little to no difference in most cases. Certainly not enough to impact resolution, framerate or AA. We're talking 12MFLOPS out of, dunno, 400,000MFLOPS or something.

Donnie

I haven't insulted anyone, have I? Do you have to resort to insuling me to defend your arguments? Nice

I'm not trying to insult you, seriously, I'm just stating a fact.

The option for a developer not to utilise a feature doesn't make that feature somehow disappear on the console as a whole. Not every WiiU game has to use the controller screen, so what's the point of the console vs 360? Well outside of the fact that its a different console with different games maybe the fact that most of its games will support the WiiU screen while no 360 games will..

What would it take for a 3rd party game to sell the most on Wii U, or even just do well on Wii U?

Marketing. Too many Wii games from third parties were stealth-released with publishers expecting the Wii's huge marketshare advantage to magically produce sales. It did actually work for a fair few titles but marketing may have more than doubled the sales for some of those successes.

Generally, contrary to popular belief, third parties have done very well with Wii titles. Sega, Capcom and Ubisoft in particular have made a great deal of money.

The increased dev costs associated with U development should encourage publishers to market their U titles.

cand

I agree, but are you saying the PS3 or 360 have no good games?

Nopes. I have a PS3 and there's a bunch of good games. All I'm sayin' is that you shouldn't say Wii U will not have good games and if the game doesn't use the gamepad doesn't mean it's a bad game.

OniShiro

Banned
Nopes. I have a PS3 and there's a bunch of good games. All I'm sayin' is that you shouldn't say Wii U will not have good games and if the game doesn't use the gamepad doesn't mean it's a bad game.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it won't be enough to make it a succesfull console sales wise.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Turning off the GamePad screen would make little to no difference in most cases. Certainly not enough to impact resolution, framerate or AA. We're talking 12MFLOPS out of, dunno, 400,000MFLOPS or something.

Where does your 12MFLOP calculation come from?

wsippel

Banned
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it won't be enough to make it a succesfull console sales wise.
This might surprise you, but Wii U isn't a PS3/360 generation console. It's next gen. It will still be around and getting games when the PS3 and 360 are long dead and buried.

This might surprise you, but Wii U isn't a PS3/360 generation console. It's next gen. It will still be around and getting games when the PS3 and 360 are long dead and buried.

Yeah, I don't get the logic. How could this industry still be alive if people cared so much that their last gen machine has (obviously) more games available...

wsippel

Banned
Where does your 12MFLOP calculation come from?
As stated in a previous post: One operation per pixel (displaying 2D content like maps or inventories) at 30 FPS.

Well the Gamepad is the system's main "hook".
I'm actually not so sure about that. I think it's just the most obvious hook. Not the only one, and not even necessarily the main one. I'd argue the Wii's "main" hook actually wasn't the Wiimote, and the 3DS' main hook certainly isn't 3D. The actual hooks, the things that really sell the systems in the end, are usually far more abstract and "meta".

cand

It's exactly what you are sayin'. The proof is you don't think Wii U can be succesfull with a lot of amazing games that don't use the game pad. I think if the game is good doens't matter the features. The features are just a tool to make the game better. Maybe because I'm still stucked in the 90's where we played to have a fun and immersive experience and not to complain about the game in twitter.
I think that create a limit to what should come to your console it's a bad move. I doubt that everyone will always wanna use the gamepad in all the games. Variety is always the best weapon.

madmackem

I think people need to be careful when they say wii u wont be a big seller without the third party games, i mean look at the wii its still the biggest selling console this gen and it more or less had none of the biggest third party games on it. Nintendo and sales dont really track like normal console makers.

TheChits

I think people need to be careful when they say wii u wont be a big seller without the third party games, i mean look at the wii its still the biggest selling console this gen and it more or less had none of the biggest third party games on it. Nintendo and sales dont really track like normal console makers.

It's easier for people to just say Nintendo is doomed

Hieberrr

Overall quality support from 3rd parties was underwhelming though. Sure it had thrbodd gem, but a lot of quality titles that were on the other platform never saw the light of day on the Wii. I think people are afraid that it'll happen again. I know for a fact that sports games on the Wii were beyond terrible (i.e., PES, Madden, etc...).

madmackem

Overall quality support from 3 parties was underwhelming though. Sure it had thrbodd gem, but a lot of quality titles that were on the other platform never saw the light of day on the Wii. I think people are afraid that it'll happen again. I know for a fact that sports games on the Wii were beyond terrible (I.e., PES, Madden, etc...).

I enjoyed pes on the wii, i see ea have nicked the wii pointing gameplay for fifa 13 on ps3.

Overall quality support from 3rd parties was underwhelming though. Sure it had thrbodd gem, but a lot of quality titles that were on the other platform never saw the light of day on the Wii. I think people are afraid that it'll happen again. I know for a fact that sports games on the Wii were beyond terrible (i.e., PES, Madden, etc...).

WiiU will be on the market for 1+ years before MS and Sony's next consoles come out. Even when they come out, it will be another year forthw huge third party games to be released.

People will ignore WiiU for 2 years for some hypothetical situation?

If anything I feel the third parties who don't have the Rockstar budgets to blow on next gen photorealistic development will find a comfortable home on the WiiU.

Hieberrr

WiiU will be on the market for 1+ years before MS and Sony's next consoles come out. Even when they come out, it will be another year forthw huge third party games to be released.

People will ignore WiiU for 2 years for some hypothetical situation?
It's possible. The other two consoles are pretty much on par and, I dare say, a guaranteed installbase no matter how you look at it. Developing one game means developing for two platforms at the same time. In a way, that's where the money is. From a business standpoint, you can ignore the Wii U unless the big player decide to no longer treat it as a gimmick (like they did with the Wii).

I'd like to add that consumers are (unfortunately) somewhat skeptical of the Wii U. The Wii sold like hot cakes, but support from third parties was horrific and I'm sure people noticed that.

I guess we'll have to see how well Nintnedo can entice developers. I'm sure they have had meetings about developing for the Wii U and whatnot.

Penguin

I know this is probably a long-shot/thinking outloud, but do you think there's any chance Nintendo includes Non-Specific Action Figure (or really any toy) with the WiiU as a way to showcase the NFC feature?

Thraktor

I know this is probably a long-shot/thinking outloud, but do you think there's any chance Nintendo includes Non-Specific Action Figure (or really any toy) with the WiiU as a way to showcase the NFC feature?

We'll probably get a few NFC cards packed in (similar to the AR cards with the 3DS), but I doubt we'll get a toy, let alone Non-Specific Action Figure, which would be pretty puzzling to anyone who doesn't follow things like E3.

boyshine

Uh.. PES Wii was the best thing that happened to sports games this generation IMO, but I guess I can't argue with facts.

wsippel

Banned
I always liked the weird idea that they'd include some sort of StreetPass capable NFC tag. You know, a small device you put on your keychain. You'd use it to log into your Nintendo Network account, but you'd also carry it with you at all times, StreetPassing with other Wii U users. You could also use it to buy DD games in shops. Buy the game, hold your keychain to a NFC reader, and the purchase will be tied to your account. Your Wii U at home wakes up and downloads the game, and it's there and ready to go when you get home. Would also be an amazing marketing tool.

Thraktor

I always liked the weird idea that they'd include some sort of StreetPass capable NFC tag. You know, a small device you put on your keychain. You'd use it to log into your Nintendo Network account, but you'd also carry it with you at all times, StreetPassing with other Wii U users. You could also use it to buy DD games in shops. Buy the game, hold your keychain to a NFC reader, and the purchase will be tied to your account. Your Wii U at home wakes up and downloads the game, and it's there and ready to go when you get home. Would also be an amazing marketing tool.

There's the Wii Fit pedometer thingy, perhaps they'll incorporate some of this functionality into it.

Has there been any word on being able to play Virtual Console games on the Wii U Gamepad?

Not officially, as far as I know, but it's an obvious feature that shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Linkup

And what about PAL games that don't support Component and HDMI? How would that work?

They will run through the system and to be more specific the GPU just like all the other content processed and then output to your choice of HDMI or component cables. I can't be 100% sure though because we don't know if emulation is hardware, software, or using a mix of both. Both seems likely.

It does make me wonder why would it NOT be possible to render a Wii game or VC game to the Gamepad if you can already switch from displaying to TV to display on the gamepad?

Penguin

If they do, I hope they allow you to transfer that to the 3DS as well.. so only have to carry around one of them!

madmackem

It's possible. The other two consoles are pretty much on par and, I dare say, a guaranteed installbase no matter how you look at it. Developing one game means developing for two platforms at the same time. In a way, that's where the money is. From a business standpoint, you can ignore the Wii U unless the big player decide to no longer treat it as a gimmick (like they did with the Wii).

I'd like to add that consumers are (unfortunately) somewhat skeptical of the Wii U. The Wii sold like hot cakes, but support from third parties was horrific and I'm sure people noticed that.

I guess we'll have to see how well Nintnedo can entice developers. I'm sure they have had meetings about developing for the Wii U and whatnot.

Maybe to us the hardcore crowd but to most of the buy mario games crowd they dont really care, the continued wii console numbers world wide show that that market doesnt really care.

Hieberrr

Maybe to us the hardcore crowd but to most of the buy mario games crowd they dont really care, the continued wii console numbers world wide show that that market doesnt really care.

It works both ways, because when third parties look at the predominant demographic of the Wii owners, do they see a reason to produce quality titles? I'd argue that they'd have a pretty good case against it. Why develop and market games to the Wii demographics when the PS360 owners are predominantly young and willing to spend money on games?

Maybe the Wii owners may not see it this way or may not even care, but developers care.

On the other hand. If you're not using your tv at all. Just using the WiiUpad as the main screen. I fully expect games to be running at a solid 60fps and lots of nice AA.

There's been plenty of quality AA on show for the big screen let alone the GamePad screen. Not a jaggy in sight on NSMB U, Pikmin 3 and the Comic Con version of the ZombiU Nursery demo. Given that the eDRAM on the GPU can theoretically give developers 'free' AA we really don't need to concern ourselves with jaggies.

And I'd rather see v-synch enabled than top quality AA if developers have the choice, I despise screen tearing.

majik13

Changing resolution for a multiplat game is trivial. It's all a matter of if the Wii U can handle it or optimisation.

Resolution increases probably wont happen often for PS360 ports because of upad usage though.

Since most multiplats, will most likely support off tv play, basically when playing on the gamepad itself, you are just playing the ps360 version, with possibly added touchscreen menu support. If a dev really wants to go for it, you should also have the option to play the ps360 version on the tv too, with the touchscreen off, and with upped resolution, if turning off the gamepad increases performance. If you opt to use the gamepad, then resolution would adjust accordingly.

I doubt this will ever happen, but would be nice to see. I could see devs not wanting to do this since it means people could ignore their wii u port job, or "extra work".

edit: darn, beaten by cyberheater

I'm excited as this is the 3rd generation of gaming I get to really follow and be involved with.

I started going online to seek out games (only a little bit) back during when I got the Gamecube in 2001. I've missed out on so many games for my Nintendo systems and other systems because I really didn't follow much until the DS came out (then I started buying games like crazy)

I really hope the Wii U can last a good while and end up having a lot of quality and interesting games that I hope to someday call gems.

I thought switching the video outputs of the TV and gamepad was built into the operating system, no additional development work is needed. Isn't there a button on the gamepad that does the switch?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This would be amazing.

RedSwirl

Makes me wonder what NES games would look like played in HD on a bigger screen without any added effects, unless the Wii U uses some kind of classic scaling or whatever.

Run an emulator on a 1080p display and you'll have your answer - raw pixels. Personally, I like the look, and it would be cool if they could up-res Virtual Console games, but they probably won't. Maybe VC games released after the Wii U's launch might get this treatment. Maybe even some filters.

Might be cool for streetpass, but for buying games I think they might as well do like Microsoft and just let you access the whole eShop and buy things on any browser, with automatic download-at-home.

D-e-f-

Banned
Today I stumbled across the info that Demiurge is doing the Aliens:CM Wii U version so I decided to create a little overview over how the ports of the current-gen games are being handled across the board.

Straight Right/Tantalus Media (Mass Effect 3)
Straight Right itself is still pretty young but they're a sister company to Tantalus Media who are an experienced port-studio, mainly doing handheld ports but also responsible for the Xbox version of Unreal II, for example.

WB Games Montréal (Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition)
no track record whatsoever (aside from a browser game) since it's a brand new studio

Demiurge Studios (Aliens: Colonial Marines)
Lots of Unreal Engine experience, started out by making a UT2004 mod, then helped out with the first Brothers in Arms games, the BioShock intro area, Mass Effect PC port + DLC, Arena Mode in Borderlands, Titan Quest, Rock Band.

Vigil (Darksiders II)
We haven't heard much from them regarding the Wii U version but from what they've talked about, they only have a small team from withing Vigil working on the game so no external port-house seems to be working on this.

4A Games (Metro: Last Light) (development on hold)
Let's not totally write this game off, even though it has been put on ice indefinitely. Apparently it was due to lack of resources which means it probably was worked on by 4A themselves again.

Ubisoft Montreal Studios (Asssassin's Creed III)
This is also ported in-house.

EA Canada (FIFA 13)
Also seems to be developed in-house.

EA Tiburon (Madden 13)
My Google search told me that the Wii U version is being handled by a dedicated team within EA Tiburon.

Heavy Iron Studios (Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two)
They worked on a lot of license games.

Anything I've missed?

Was this even useful? I just did it because I was curious, no idea if collecting this info had any greater purpose or potential use, though :)

edit: added Epic Mickey studio

Stewox

Banned

Do you know if developers are able to control FPS output when using one Controller, so instead of using 60FPS for some menu stuff which doesn't need that fidelity they could lower it down to 30 for some tradeoff that could be used for main screen.

I don't see any reason why this won't be possible, there's just the ultra-low hardcoded FPS limit of 30 when using 2 DRCs so beyond that there shouldn't be any barrier. Ofcourse same thing is used but with a value of 60 with one DRC.

cyberheater

As stated in a previous post: One operation per pixel (displaying 2D content like maps or inventories) at 30 FPS.

Okay. But feature rich content in 3D on the WiiUPad is going to take a significant amount of GPU resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom