• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm MacDonald Live Returns with David Letterman on July 25th

JABEE

Yup, that's how I interpreted it too. Subtle joke.

Norm said they actually filmed him doing it, but after it was done, he felt bad about making Letterman do something he didn't really want to do.

So, Norm decided to cut it out.

Also, I think the zoom-in camera on only the Letterman interview is an homage to Tom Snyder.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Norm getting smacked around by Tyson is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Co-signed. I was largely disappointed in the David Letterman ep (one of my all-time favorite anythings. Went to the Late Show once, grew up watching him every night), because it just wasn't very funny. :(

Then, you have the Mike Tyson munching on peanuts the whole episode. Who in their right mind would give someone with a speech impediment something to be chewing for an entire hour?

However, that N-word joke and Mike Tyson and Norm's interplay was absolutely gut-busting.

JABEE

Co-signed. I was largely disappointed in the David Letterman ep (one of my all-time favorite anythings. Went to the Late Show once, grew up watching him every night), because it just wasn't very funny. :(

Then, you have the Mike Tyson munching on peanuts the whole episode. Who in their right mind would give someone with a speech impediment something to be chewing for an entire hour?

However, that N-word joke and Mike Tyson and Norm's interplay was absolutely gut-busting.

I think the better question is who in their right mind would tell Mike he can't eat peanuts during the episode.

That was a really fun episode. It had that earlier seasons vibe of just f****** around instead of interviewing. Not that I don't enjoy the more ambitious approach of later episodes. I've watched the Letterman one about 3 times now. It keeps popping up after each new episode and I've just been letting it play.

This episode was hysterical. Norm's bit about the trapeze artist slayed me. The stupid 401k joke was great too. And Eget's "Yellow Man".

The ending was super awkward though - I wonder what happened there?

Yeah definitely nice to see a more comedy oriented episode. The trapeze bit had me dying and the jokes at the end were so stupid they were funny. You could tell there were a lot of edits though.

Joe

What kind of shit does Norm say that attracts fans who post comments like that? You don't see comments like that on other Sarah Silverman videos.

What kind of shit does Norm say that attracts fans who post comments like that? You don't see comments like that on other Sarah Silverman videos.

Probably old school "women aren't funny" kinda people. He's made jokes like that in the past, sadly many people are too stupid to know a joke from a statement.

Norm MacDonald is a conservative who does politically incorrect humor. A lightning rod for the "anti-sjw" crowd.

Another solid episode. Sarah Silverman is always good on talkshows and podcasts.

Also the show continues to experiment with various setups. Have we seen that table before?

Norm MacDonald is a conservative who does politically incorrect humor. A lightning rod for the "anti-sjw" crowd.
Funny how Norm adds to Sarah's anecdotes on sexual harassment. If these numbskulls actually watched the show they'd choke on their own balls. Nowhere is it reflected in the comments.

Good on Norm making it a two-parter, I don't think I've seen him this focused and genuine outside Who Wants to be a Millionare.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
The production on this show is terrible. It's almost unwatchable. Norm is way too stiff to be on tv as a host. I understand that's his thing but it doesn't work long form or as a host.

The production on this show is terrible. It's almost unwatchable. Norm is way too stiff to be on tv as a host. I understand that's his thing but it doesn't work long form or as a host.

I disagree! This show is the perfect outlet for Norm. If you haven't already, try some of the weirder episodes like Todd Glass, Gilbert Gottfried or more recently, Mike Tyson. They are great examples of why this show is perfect for him.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I disagree! This show is the perfect outlet for Norm. If you haven't already, try some of the weirder episodes like Todd Glass, Gilbert Gottfried or more recently, Mike Tyson. They are great examples of why this show is perfect for him.

Not Gilbert Gottfried, unless you want to hear 2 hours of annoying Gilbert laughing at himself.

The Todd Glass, Stephen Merchant, and Bob Saget episodes are truly excellent in all facets, though.

dickroach

the extreme close-ups. why

edit: oh, Jerry says this is "the first one taped in NY". looks like the same set as the Letterman one. I guess they just released that one first, and whoever was controlling the camera and doing the editing for these shows is different (worse)

Not Gilbert Gottfried, unless you want to hear 2 hours of annoying Gilbert laughing at himself.

The Todd Glass, Stephen Merchant, and Bob Saget episodes are truly excellent in all facets, though.

I love the Gottfried episode but my girlfriend said the same thing as you haha.

You're right that Merchant and Saget are classics as well. So is Super Dave!

The story Norm tells about Dangerfield doing the set on his wedding day with his wife there in her wedding dress is too good. That can't be true.

The respect Jerry must have for Norm to drag his either sleeping or drugged corpse through that whole show is astounding. Norm is a contrarian -- I get it and I like his comedy for it. But this is just not worth much as entertainment. It's the same hackneyed questions that everyone that has interviewed Jerry has asked, except without any enthusiasm or emotional attachment.

Jerry makes it barely watchable by presenting his best and most entertaining talk show self to Norm just out of pure legacy admiration for the poor guy.

The Mike Tyson episode was also such a missed opportunity for any interesting line of questioning. And while the David Letterman one had an intriguing quote here or there (mostly rendered obsolete now that Letterman announced a new interview show) it was again Dave showing his respect and appreciation for Norm and Norm just not giving anything back.

If anyone wants to see Jerry and Norm together when Norm is not purposely being surly and quiet, watch the Norm ep of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. That was one of the best ones.

Top Bottom