• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killjoys: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that both Killjoys and Dark Matter did "spooky derelict ships" within one week of each other. Except the Killjoys episode did it 100x better. There were some questionable parts to the plot, but it kept the suspense going. I liked the kind of Portal-esque crazy torture computer aspect.

this show can be so bizarre at times

you have that quirky humor and banter paired up with women getting stabbed through the neck in a surprising level of detail, a chick becoming a suicide bomber to save her friends and a guy slowly being fried to death by electricity and blowing up in the end into bloody chunks

I'm enjoying it (a lot more that i thought i would even) but it feels at times like the people writing the dialogue are different from the people writing the action scenes ^^

This post may have just sold me the show.

I'll check out the pilot and see if it's worth my time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Killjoys just has a budget, where Dark Matter looks like it's filmed in someone's garage. That's what made the ship episodes so different.

Killjoys just has a budget, where Dark Matter looks like it's filmed in someone's garage. That's what made the ship episodes so different.

It was definitely more than the budget or the directing, both of which are better, true. The scriptwriting is really what sells Killjoys. The team already feels like a team. Their interactions feel natural. Dark Matter's characters feel like a bunch of stereotypes, as cardboard as the sets, and I don't care about any of them.

Kin5290

It's funny that both Killjoys and Dark Matter did "spooky derelict ships" within one week of each other. Except the Killjoys episode did it 100x better. There were some questionable parts to the plot, but it kept the suspense going. I liked the kind of Portal-esque crazy torture computer aspect.
Honestly I thought the set for Dark Matter's derelict ship (apparently a real ship) was better than Killjoys' (quite clearly a warehouse). That said, pretty much everything else was far better, from not being about stupid zombies IN SPACE/Mass Effect ripoff Thorians to the character interactions to the relevance to the serial plot to not having a big subplot be one bland asshole whining about how the girl he likes fucked another bland asshole.

Seriously, Dark Matter has a shitty love triangle in One/Two/Three. There's not much interesting about watching a bland, archetypic, boring female character as she picks between the santimonious bland asshole or the abrasive bland asshole. Meanwhile, Killjoys has an awesome triangle, but it's kind of fucked up because Lucy clearly prefers John to Dutch, and she is Dutch's spaceship.

Sober

There isn't much of a triangle in Killjoys, just three fun lovin' bounty hunters crackin wise and gettin into trouble and havin a good bang at the end of the day, just not with each other ever.

I rather enjoy this show. It has some work to be done on fleshing out the universe but I am going to stick with it and hope for the best!

aku:jiki

There isn't much of a triangle in Killjoys, just three fun lovin' bounty hunters crackin wise and gettin into trouble and havin a good bang at the end of the day, just not with each other ever.
One of the best things yet is that the brothers agreed not to chase Dutch. Considering army bro went for the doctor instead, I'm hoping that means they stick with no romance on the ship.

Well, the show obviously does need the romance between John and Lucy.

Kevin

How are these shows doing when it comes to ratings? I kind of want to watch but won't even bother if the chances of renewal are slim.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It was definitely more than the budget or the directing, both of which are better, true. The scriptwriting is really what sells Killjoys. The team already feels like a team. Their interactions feel natural. Dark Matter's characters feel like a bunch of stereotypes, as cardboard as the sets, and I don't care about any of them.

Sums up my thoughts on Killjoys vs Dark Matter exactly... Killjoys is infinitely superior IMO.

I find Killjoys a joy to watch, Dark Matter....I'm reaching for the off switch so often (which kind of saddens me).

Hyun Sai

I tried both show, and Killjoys is the one I ended following. It started a bit cheesy, but had a much better cast and characters. The last 2 episodes were pretty great and I really appreciate what they are doing with Fancy, Turin and Khlyen.

I hope they renew this.

Sums up my thoughts on Killjoys vs Dark Matter exactly... Killjoys is infinitely superior IMO.

I find Killjoys a joy to watch, Dark Matter....I'm reaching for the off switch so often (which kind of saddens me).

Yeah, there's a lot of reasons to reach for the switch with Dark Matter. With the most recent episode, I found the portrayal of women to be very male-fantasy driven. Two is mostly used as a trophy in the 1-2-3 love triangle.

On the other hand, Killjoys was created by a woman and it has had 3 female writers so far. Not that that necessarily means anything, but the treatment of sex and romance in Killjoys has been much more natural. D'avin's doctor for instance is painted as a complicated woman, when in most sci-fi shows she would've been written one-dimensionally. D'avin and Dutch have a chemistry, but it's a slow burn.

This latest episode had a rather complicated plot, but they managed to find the right pacing. Dutch's tutor is suitably creepy, but more nuanced than I expected. I continue to be impressed with this show, and really hope it gets renewed.

I like this show way more than Dark Matter. This seems more fun and light hearted than the other show. Also I like the cast of this one. Aaron Ashmore he also was in Werehouse 13 a show that ended too early and I liked him in that.

GavinUK86

I like this show way more than Dark Matter. This seems more fun and light hearted than the other show. Also I like the cast of this one. Aaron Ashmore he also was in Werehouse 13 a show that ended too early and I liked him in that.

5 seasons was too early? Warehouse 13 lost it's way after a couple.

This is on about the same level for me as Dark Matter. I don't like one more than the other, I love both.

This does seem to have a lot of backstory that could be told, whether they will or not I don't know.

One thing I'm starting to notice, more than usual, with Syfy is the shared actors. One pops up in multiple shows in the same week. Really off-putting.

How are more people not talking about this show??

This episode...wow. It was really daring to take what people thought was just a fun action show into this direction. And yet, it was done so well, it just worked. I noticed that this is the first episode since the first one written by Michelle Lovretta, the series creator. I guess she wanted to make sure it was handled well. And that Amanda Tapping guest-star!

Vlodril

How are more people not talking about this show??

This episode...wow. It was really daring to take what people thought was just a fun action show into this direction. And yet, it was done so well, it just worked. I noticed that this is the first episode since the first one written by Michelle Lovretta, the series creator. I guess she wanted to make sure it was handled well. And that Amanda Tapping guest-star!

both this and dark matter has gotten better (although dark matter probably in a bigger way since it was worst to start with). probably means both shows will be canceled.

I am definitely enjoying them more than most sci-fi (sorry syfy or whatever the hell its called now) shows of the last few years.

I tried both show, and Killjoys is the one I ended following. It started a bit cheesy, but had a much better cast and characters. The last 2 episodes were pretty great and I really appreciate what they are doing with Fancy, Turin and Khlyen.

I hope they renew this.

Exact opposite for me. I'm really enjoying Dark Matter, but have yet to really get drawn into Killjoys outside of "A Glitch in the System" (Derelict Ship episode). I think besides five (the kid, she constantly overacts) the acting is superior and the premise is much more interesting. I feel that Dark Matter has way more potential material as a show than Killjoys and can be rolled out in a more interesting fashion. As far is KJ's I really like Johnny, Dutch is fine, but Davin is the weak point of the show, I think he's poorly written and all the cliched drama around his character is getting taxing.

I hope they both get renewed but at this point I'd prefer it was Dark Matter if we could only have one.

Enosh

holy shit
they didn't do the "his trick fixes the team the next episode" cliche

I'm impressed

Exact opposite for me. I'm really enjoying Dark Matter, but have yet to really get drawn into Killjoys outside of "A Glitch in the System" (Derelict Ship episode). I think besides five (the kid, she constantly overacts) the acting is superior and the premise is much more interesting. I feel that Dark Matter has way more potential material as a show than Killjoys and can be rolled out in a more interesting fashion. As far is KJ's I really like Johnny, Dutch is fine, but Davin is the weak point of the show, I think he's poorly written and all the cliched drama around his character is getting taxing.

I hope they both get renewed but at this point I'd prefer it was Dark Matter if we could only have one.

I hope they both get renewed also, and I respect the opinions of people that prefer Dark Matter, but I couldn't disagree more with your take on KJs. Davin may be a stereotype of the macho soldier, but this show tackling his PTSD is serious business. I'm not sure how you could look at last week's episode where he beats the crap out of the woman (and teammate) he just slept with and say it was uninteresting or badly written or conventional. I think the writing is intelligent and pretty daring, and the actors do a great job with it. How many other sci-fi shows would go in that real? There's thousands of soldiers in real life dealing with these issues and having the same kinds of breakdowns. Or look at the deadly acid rain caused by corporate greed, or the appropriation of lands and pushing the natives into a lower caste. Killjoys is trying to do sci-fi in the classic vein, using the genre to present a future while also critiquing the problems of the present. And the writers are pretty much succeeding episode after episode, while still making it fun to watch as action fare. And the world they've already built feels really well-formed; I wouldn't mind playing a game set in this universe.

Meanwhile, when I stopped watching Dark Matter a couple weeks back it was still feeling like Clue in space. DM has some serviceable actors (and some terrible ones, like One), but the writing they're given is really wooden, predictable C-level sci-fi camp where nothing provocative truly happens. I also feel it is very much written for adolescent males (the pleasure-bot episode was cringeworthy) and lacks much diversity in the cast.

holy shit
they didn't do the "his trick fixes the team the next episode" cliche

I'm impressed

Yeah, we're so trained by television scripts to expect everything will just work out. I think the writer set it up to give us that expectation on purpose. Unbelievably, this show actually seems to care about emotional continuity with the characters. Dutch truly does not trust Davin anymore. Things are not gonna just work out by being confessional and telling some life anecdotes. Actions actually have consequences on this show.

I'm also continually impressed by the pacing of these episodes, jumping from one narrative to another without feeling whiplash or like the plot was rushed to fit things in.

Sober

Killjoys is trying to do sci-fi in the classic vein, using the genre to present a future while also critiquing the problems of the present. And the writers are pretty much succeeding episode after episode, while still making it fun to watch as action fare. And the world they've already built feels really well-formed; I wouldn't mind playing a game set in this universe.
Haven't watched Dark Matter yet (and I don't think it should be worth comparing them) but yes, it's great to see that someone is writing this style of sci-fi (or fantasy really) again. I think the last set of episodes helps put the earlier episodes in perspective. Before I thought it was just being too clever for its own good at times but they put a lot of stuff into place before this that at first felt like bland generic set dressing but I'm glad someone is trying to tie these kinds of themes into genre work again. I'm really sick of just gross lore dump genre fiction that doesn't have anything to say and just relies on trying to make everything overly complicated and twist/shock/spoiler-y as an engine. On the plus side, the show is just flat out fun to watch regardless, so there's that as well. Last two episode were a huge surprise, sounds like they found both their footing and the proper rhythm.

Being that I don't have cable and I don't use bittorrent, Is there a good way to watch this show? Syfy requires my cable provider to give me "Mega super duper awesome" service for $402384.50 bucks a month to stream on their site :-\

Jackpot

Banned
So I completely forgot that Red 17 was the thing the torture ship was asking about.

Really wish Season 2 would happen right now.

GavinUK86

Not a bad finale. Big reveal of
Red 17
on the planet Arkyn
, and
Level 6 Killjoys
. Hit and miss season for sure, couple good episodes, the rest pretty average sci-fi. Hopefully if they get a second season they can tighten up the writing to make it feel like a cohesive whole.

Sojgat

Really looking forward to this. First season was great.

They better not change the intro music (unless they make it longer).

Edit: Oh, it's in the OP... and it's trash :(

Loved season 1, subbed and will be watching tonight. July 1st is crazy this year, got 3 fantastic shows premiering on the same day - Marco Polo season 2, Dark Matter season 2, Killjoys season 2. Mr. Robot starts July 13th.

Also if you are in the UK Netflix started streaming all of the Star Trek shows starting today - TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. 531 hours of Star Trek!!! I think they are all supposed to move to CBS Prime by end of the year though, so not sure when the various deals end. I believe its already been pulled from Amazon Prime?

Killjoys is back! (and with a new intro sequence...kind of odd aesthetic choice)

It's just as good as I remembered. The mysterious organization stuff is a bit conventional, but that SG-1 mix of snappy writing, a team with chemistry, and good action is on point as always. I always liked Pree so it's good to see him have an expanded role. I also hope we see more of Clara; I dig her character and was kind of hoping she (and Alice) would become part of the team.

Please please get good ratings this season. I don't want this show to get dropped.

Jackpot

Banned
Anyone have a summary of season 1? I've forgotten a lot of things like the green goop supercomputer or what Amanda Tapping did to Davin.

sora87

Sucks that the UK syfy site doesn't let you watch full episodes. US one doesn't work with opera VPNs either :(

Dynasty

Started watching this when I found out the guy from the Following is in it, later found out it was his brother. Just watched the pilot and it is pretty good, going to have to catch up quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom