• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore History |OT| New episode: Painfotainment

I am not usually one to ever volunteer to do an OT but with a new episode out today, I figure we should at least have a thread for the podcast. So here is a quick and dirty OP.

What is it?

In "Hardcore History" the very unconventional Dan Carlin takes his "Martian", outside-the-box way of thinking and applies it to the past. Was Alexander the Great as bad a person as Adolf Hitler? What would Apaches with modern weapons be like? Will our modern civilization ever fall like civilizations from past eras? This is a difficult-to-classify show that has a rather sharp edge. It's not for everyone. But the innovative style and approach has made "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History" a New Media hit.

Understand though, this is not your normal run of the mill podcast. Dont expect a new episode every week. Or even every month. Usual time frame ranges anywhere from 2 months to 3 months per episode. But the quality of each episode reflects that. As does (often) the length.

Where to start?

Each podcast is either part of an ongoing series or a stand alone episode. Other than that, there is no continuity between different episodes so feel free to pick one whose topic sounds interesting to you. Having said that, if you are a new listener, I would recommend that you start with the Wrath of the Khan series. You can pick that one up here.

Keep in mind that some of the earlier episodes are in archives now and not available as a free download. If you like the newer episodes that you can get for free, you can opt to purchase the older shows either directly from Dan's website - here.

Or from Itunes music Store by searching for Dan Carlin Hardcore History.

If you do decide to purchase some of the older stuff, I cannot recommend Ghosts of the Ostfront enough. Its probably his best work and utterly mesmerizing from start to finish.

Other useful links -

Podcast Archive with download links for each episode.

Merchandise page where you can pick up the older episodes.

I realize this is a little barebones compared to the usual OTs we have but this will suffice. If someone wants to do a better job, feel free to PM me and I will edit the OP to your liking.

Newest episode is up and its a whopping 4 hour long show. :D

Download here.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I love this podcast, I kind of forgot about it since it is so long between episodes (understandably).

Jay Sosa

Uh OT, nice.

Love Hardcore History.

Now even more because I just finished The Forever War (Dexter Filkins) after Dan recommended it on his podcast. Truly one of the best books I've ever read.

Death Throes of the Republic kept me entertained while I had to work on Malta with no TV or radio or anything else.

I just wish I could dl the older episodes on amazon.

And for anyone interested in history I'm really enjoying that one as well:

Podcast History of our World

I realize this is a little barebones compared to the usual OTs we have but this will suffice. If someone wants to do a better job, feel free to PM me and I will edit the OP to your liking.

It certainly needs some kind of nifty banner. I'm totally talentless so I'm afraid I can't be of any help.

I'm currently listening to this weeks Giantbombcast and they're literally talking about this now.

Might give this a try now, thanks.

Shadybiz

Nice. Death Throes of the Republic, and Wrath of the Khans were both fantastic series. I will download this one later today.

I saw this mentioned in another thread and decided to check it out; love it.

I'm on Death Throes of the Republic II right now. He's got a great speaking voice and even if I find some of the stuff to be sort of basic, It's still a really fantastic summary of important events and people.

RJT

I saw this mentioned in another thread and decided to check it out; love it.

I'm on Death Throes of the Republic II right now. He's got a great speaking voice and even if I find some of the stuff to be sort of basic, It's still a really fantastic summary of important events and people.

The last episode of that series is some of the most brilliant storytelling I ever heard.

I've been recommending this podcast and Common Sense to people for years, Dan is a genius.
He paints a detailed mental picture like no other.

Ghosts of the Ostfront was amazing.

Salvadora

Best podcast around by a country mile.

It's just a shame that we have to wait so long between episodes, although I understand why.

Kaladin

I love podcasts that aren't timelocked where you have to listen to them at a certain time. I should give this a chance being a history buff, I should find something of interest.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I'm on the final part of Death Throes of the Republic. Was disappointed to have almost got to the end then I notice this episode is 5 and a half hours long! The Mongol and Ostfront episodes were fantastic too and I'm really looking forward to the new episode. It sounds like an area I don't know a whole lot about, which is always fun.

I'm so grateful this podcast is free. The amount of work that must go into each episode has to be staggering. Is this now his full time job?

I've been thinking of going back and buying some of the much older episodes. Anyone got any recommendations for those?

Real shame about having to pay for older episodes. I really really hate not starting a podcast at the beginning. I understand most of them stand on their own, it's just a little bit of ocd on my part. I'll listen to some of the new ones and see what I think, who knows, I might find them worth my money!

coopolon

Huh, I completely forgot about this show. I used to listen to common sense years ago, and remember him talking about starting this show, but that was right around the time that pdocast fell out of my rotation.

I'll have to give it a try, thanks op!

strobogo

Banned
Loved Wrath of The Khans. Even better than the Rome series, which was pretty top notch work. Loved him on JRE, as well. He's a great story teller.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Loved Wrath of The Khans. Even better than the Rome series, which was pretty top notch work. Loved him on JRE, as well. He's a great story teller.

I didn't realise he had been on JRE. I had heard Rogan talk about him and hoped he would get him on some time but I didn't realise it had already happened. Thanks for the heads up!

Necrovex

This sounds like a stellar podcast. As I get through my gaming podcasts quicker and quicker (working out in some forms five days a week will do this), I need more podcasts. I have been wanting to try non-gaming podcasts, and this seems like an ideal one to jump into. Thanks, OP!

(I also love history, so this is even more perfect.)

Real shame about having to pay for older episodes. I really really hate not starting a podcast at the beginning. I understand most of them stand on their own, it's just a little bit of ocd on my part. I'll listen to some of the new ones and see what I think, who knows, I might find them worth my money!

Yeah, each episode or a series is stand alone. So if you start with just the "newer"/free stuff you dont miss out on any context. There isnt a continous theme or running inside jokes. Think of it as a series of unrelated books by an author. I can understand paying for the older stuff seems a little odd but the quality of it makes for a strong case.

But do give it a shot and if you do like it, I really, really, REALLY cannot recommend Ghosts of the Ostfront enough. First episode will set you back a couple of bucks and I guarantee you will buy the rest happily of your own volition.

I didn't realise he had been on JRE. I had heard Rogan talk about him and hoped he would get him on some time but I didn't realise it had already happened. Thanks for the heads up!

That JRE episode was certainly interesting. I dont think Dan expected Joe to be like.... Joe. :D

There were certinaly a few places where you could see him not being entirely "comfortable". But the rest of it was really fun.

hom3land

Love love I've Dan.. His other podcast is great too...

Listening to the newest history podcast and I really enjoy how he sets up the world and culture before even getting to the topic. Never made the connection and of 1890 no longer having unsettled land in the US and Spanish American war and how we've really never changed with having neocons. His comparison of the us to gulum is hilarious. Another great show.. Hope next one isn't as long of a wait.

The older episodes are worth it though. Even before they became epic like they are today, they're really listenable. Repeat listens are great.

Lanark

Really love his work. History in his shows isn't just a series of chronological facts, as much as it sounds like a cliché, he really brings the past to life. I remember from the Punic Nightmares episodes that he asked questions like 'how is it to fight an elephant', or 'how is it like to be in a city that is being sacked'. Showing stuff that were relatively common in those days, and almost impossible to imagine now.

I also really appreciate his Common Sense show. Doesn't have the depth of his history shows (but neither the long breaks), and once you get to know him his views can get predictable, but it's still very much worth listening to.

The way he starts off the Death Throes series is amazing. Why don't we have a room of wax faces of our ancestors? It'd be a great way of remembering them

LuffyZoro

I really loved Death Throes of the Republic and the Mongol series was good too. I always look forward to new episodes, no matter how long it takes.

RJT

Really love his work. History in his shows isn't just a series of chronological facts, as much as it sounds like a cliché, he really brings the past to life. I remember from the Punic Nightmares episodes that he asked questions like 'how is it to fight an elephant', or 'how is it like to be in a city that is being sacked'. Showing stuff that were relatively common in those days, and almost impossible to imagine now.

I also really appreciate his Common Sense show. Doesn't have the depth of his history shows (but neither the long breaks), and once you get to know him his views can get predictable, but it's still very much worth listening to.

The description of life in Berlin before the inevitable Russian invasion was mindblowing.

Everybody is recommending the big series, but what about the single episodes? What are some of Dan-GAF's favorites? Mine is probably the "logical insanity" episode (about the Atom bombs). It took me completely by surprise, and actually made me change my opinion about the topic.

Jeez, episode 1 singlehandedly changed my opinion of Roman history. I always thought it was boring and stuffy, but man that shit was tenuous.

Bring on Rome 2 Total War

The description of life in Berlin before the inevitable Russian invasion was mindblowing.

Everybody is recommending the big series, but what about the single episodes? What are some of Dan-GAF's favorites? Mine is probably the "logical insanity" episode (about the Atom bombs). It took me completely by surprise, and actually made me change my opinion about the topic.

Prophets of Doom. The last hour of that show was absolutely electrifying. I think I said Holy shit out loud multiple times.

Its odd that Dan still thinks of that episode as one of his weaker ones but personally his story telling in that one was nothing short of brilliant. IMO its probably his best Singles episode.

Anything about 1000 to 1400's western Europe or the vikings? I'm finding his archives to not be the easiest thing to navigate.

Thors Angels and Bubonic nukes are somewhat related to that period. Although I personally found Thors Angels to be a little bit too dry.

Top Bottom