• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore History |OT| New episode: Painfotainment

The Khan series....holy shit. Mind blowing stuff. The scope of their empire is ridiculous by any standard, and would have been total if not for a few "wildcards" as he put it.

I really cracked up at their formal diplomatic correspondence. So polite, so eloquent, and utterly hostile.

I finished listening to Prophets of Doom the other day. Easily my favorite episode thus far (and it's funny that he wasn't a fan of it).

As far as single episodes go, Prophets is probably his best to date. In a series, I'm more partial the Fall of the Roman Republic, if only cause listening to it start to finish feels like that scene in The Matrix where Neo gets uploaded with all martial arts. When you're done with FotRR, it's all like, "Whoa, I know Rome."

Yeah, couldn't disagree more with Dan. That episode was amazing.
Glad I'm not the only one. At the end when he said he didn't like the episode I was shocked. I was completely hooked from beginning to end.

Coreda

It's interesting how some of the earlier episodes used ambient sound effects. After finishing the Punic wars series I'm glad the more recent series do away with them actually, I think the stories and delivery hold their own without them.

I've started listening to the earlier episodes, from the beginning.

It took him about 5 episodes before he started really nailing things. The episode about the end of the bronze age and also the Great War episode were really when he really started calming down. A bit too hyper sounding early on.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I've started listening to the earlier episodes, from the beginning.

It took him about 5 episodes before he started really nailing things. The episode about the end of the bronze age and also the Great War episode were really when he really started calming down. A bit too hyper sounding early on.

somehow i don't miss all the gnarly post production shit he used to do when reading quotes.

Yeah, I don't miss it either. Or the sound ques. He's one of those rare compelling speakers that he doesn't need those sorts of flourishes in order to be sucked into what he's talking about

Cyan

Banned
The logical insanity episode is just as great as everyone's said. I thought I knew all about the bomb and... I totally didn't. Wow.

Jintor

There's something a little unnerving about the way Dan delivers history but I can't deny that he's bloody amazing at it.

Fall of the Roman Republic = godlike. Although I remembered most of it because I was deep into the fall of the Republic beforehand, but jeeze.

I'm working on Ghosts of the Ostfront right now. Great stuff, it's a shame most people don't realize how serious the war between Russia and Germany was.

The part about the Russian female snipers was awesome. I looked up pictures after. Dan wasn't kidding. These girls were very pretty. And apparently pretty bad ass.

Exr

Very excited, just finished the series in Mongolia and Im currently wrapping up the fall of rome.

Sibylus

Banned
New episode so big it hung my itunes, or something.

Lol wtf, part I is three hours long. Dan's trying to kill himself again.

Chichikov

Is he just straight up doing a World War I series or is it scoped in some way?
Either way, hyyyyyyype.

Edit: the description suggests he just trying to do a full on one on the great war, sheeeeeit dude's be crazy.

Now if I can only hold on listening to it for a couple of weeks, I have some long ass flights in my near future...

Necrovex

New Hardcore? Yeeeeeaaaah! Will download and will listen to after finishing the final episode on Khan. I've always been interested in learning more about WWI.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Dan's introduction from the beginning of the podcast is very reminiscent of the explanation offered by many historians for the importance of Gavrilo Princip. To quote a passage from Steven Pinker:

Writing in 1999, [historian Matthew] White repeated a Frequently Asked Question of that year: "Who's the most important person of the Twentieth Century?" His choice: Gavrilo Princip. Who the heck was Gavrilo Princip? He was the nineteen-year-old Serb nationalist who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary during a state visit to Bosnia, after a string of errors and accidents delivered the archduke to within shooting distance. White explains his choice:

Here's a man who single-handedly sets off a chain reaction which ultimately leads to the deaths of 80 million people.

Top that, Albert Einstein!

With just a couple of bullets, this terrorist starts the First World War, which destroys four monarchies, leading to a power vacuum filled by the Communists in Russia and the Nazis in Germany who then fight it out in a Second World War...

Some people would minimize Princip's importance by saying that a Great Power War was inevitable sooner or later given the tensions of the times, but I say that it was no more inevitable than, say, a war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Left unsparked, the Great War could have been avoided, and without it, there would have been no Lenin, no Hitler, no Eisenhower.

^ That makes me excited to listen to the new episode.

Has anyone re-listened to episodes? Really been itching to listen to the Khan series again.

Coreda

^ That makes me excited to listen to the new episode.

Has anyone re-listened to episodes? Really been itching to listen to the Khan series again.

I've re-listened to the Republic, Ostfront, and Punic series (the latter to see if I liked I more the second time). I could listen to the first two again, really enjoyed them. Haven't revisited the Khan series yet.

Atrophis

A WWI podcast sounds great. Might be able to get my wife into HH as she has wanted to know more about WWI for some time. I wonder if we have a long car journey coming up...

marrec

Banned
I've re-listened to the Republic, Ostfront, and Punic series (the latter to see if I liked I more the second time). I could listen to the first two again, really enjoyed them. Haven't revisited the Khan series yet.

Oh that's right, I also relistened to the Punic Wars series.

I think this is my most favorite podcast. Every episode is just so well researched, interesting, informative, and just fucken good it's always at the top of my playlist when a new one comes out

The Khan series....holy shit. Mind blowing stuff. The scope of their empire is ridiculous by any standard, and would have been total if not for a few "wildcards" as he put it.

I really cracked up at their formal diplomatic correspondence. So polite, so eloquent, and utterly hostile.

I second this feeling. Amazing how internal politics dismantled this army.

IronRinn

Gave this podcast a shot a few months ago (the first ep. of Death Throes of the Republic) as people seem to really like it and I was looking for a good history podcast besides the sporadic Lars Brownworth releases I listen to.

He really knows the subject matter but, man, the hammy delivery is unbearable. I mean, Brownworth can be pretty dry, no doubt, but this is just the other extreme. A shame because I find the topics really interesting

Vio-Lence

Banned
Gave this podcast a shot a few months ago (the first ep. of Death Throes of the Republic) as people seem to really like it and I was looking for a good history podcast besides the sporadic Lars Brownworth releases I listen to.

He really knows the subject matter but, man, the hammy delivery is unbearable. I mean, Brownworth can be pretty dry, no doubt, but this is just the other extreme. A shame because I find the topics really interesting

I think the bigger difference is the quality of research placed into each episode and the details put into each pod. Lars' podcast is like reading a wikipedia entry on the subject. I found his Byzantine podcast series to be awfully mediocre.

OH FUCK YES A NEW EPISODE!!!!

0340_f9q7.gif

Holy guacamole a 3 hour opener! No wonder it took so long lol.

I'm working on Ghosts of the Ostfront right now. Great stuff, it's a shame most people don't realize how serious the war between Russia and Germany was.

The part about the Russian female snipers was awesome. I looked up pictures after. Dan wasn't kidding. These girls were very pretty. And apparently pretty bad ass.

I recently bought Ghosts of the Ostfront too and I'm absolutely loving it. I just finished that same episode (III) and yeah the descriptions of the female Russian soldiers was awesome. I had no idea they fought on the front lines like that. This cutie:

20130129-lyudmila-pavlichenko.jpg

Is credited with 309 sniper kills (187 confirmed). Do not fuck with Russian women.

The description of Stalingrad is so intense. I just can't imagine, man. I am so glad I was born here and now.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Awesome. Just finishing up Death Throes after devouring Khans and the other episodes still available for free.

I expect no less than 7 episodes with 1500 minutes of total content over the next 6 months.

Remember to throw a buck or two his way whenever you can, so he can continue bringing more episodes. I really would like to hear him do an ancient Egypt series, which he stated he was interested in doing on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Remember to throw a buck or two his way whenever you can, so he can continue bringing more episodes. I really would like to hear him do an ancient Egypt series, which he stated he was interested in doing on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Hell, just go buy his Ghosts of the Ostfront series. Link:

http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.p...id=184&zenid=bcd6e18f43db24439f3f6cb96bab80c8

Part One covering the conflict between the Germans and the Soviet Union in the Second World War. Dan gives an introduction to the subject and discusses the causes and opening moves of Operation Barbarossa.

In Part Two of the Ostfront series covering WW2 on the Eastern Front, Dan looks at the attempt to take Moscow and the many compelling stories surrounding the momentous1941 German offensive.

In Part Three of the Ostfront series covering WW2 on the Eastern Front, Dan looks at the situation in the U.S.S.R. during 1942 and early 1943, including the dreadful Battle of Stalingrad.

In the final episode of the horror story that is the Eastern Front the tale descends into unimaginable darkness as vengeance is called down on Germany. This graphic episode is not for young ears.

$5.99 for four episodes of WW2 Eastern Front epicness. Definitely one of his finest works. And you get to feel good for contributing to his work.

Necrovex

DKehoe

Excellent, had a pretty bad day at work and came home to find there is a new episode. It's on a subject that really interests me too. I wonder how many parts this one will be.

That was my first experience with hardcore history, I did enjoy it.

I recently bought Ghosts of the Ostfront too and I'm absolutely loving it. I just finished that same episode (III) and yeah the descriptions of the female Russian soldiers was awesome. I had no idea they fought on the front lines like that. This cutie:

20130129-lyudmila-pavlichenko.jpg

Is credited with 309 sniper kills (187 confirmed). Do not fuck with Russian women.

This is like right out of Metal Gear Solid

pizza dog

Banned
I kind of wish dude only did this one. His Common Sense podcast... eesh.

"Oh yeah just give me control of CNN and watch me fix all the problems in America. There is not a single instance of journalistic integrity left. At my word, it would be so."

Yeah. Ok. Cool Story. Dude comes off as such a jackass on that show, kind of soured me on Hardcore History.

kamspy

I sit at a work bench and wire electrical panels for 10 hours a day. These podcasts get me through it.

Getting in to work this morning at 4:50 AM and seeing a new episode of this on Podkicker literally made my day.

If there's a more functional android app than Podkicker, someone let me know.

2/3 of the way in and this is a really, REALLY good episode. MUCH better than the last one. And considering this is the set up, the rest of the series is gonna be absolutely cracking good.

I laughed out loud at Bismarck's "I shall have them arrested." quote. That is just bad ass. :D

Also the logistics bit was mind boggling. Something I never really though about when I thought of wars but its just insane when you think about it.

The description of Stalingrad is so intense. I just can't imagine, man. I am so glad I was born here and now.

I grabbed Ghosts of the Ostfront recently as well, but have only made it to the Stalingrad section.

The photos of piles of German dead on this page (http://photozone-t.livejournal.com/28197.html) were too much for me to keep going. It's weird: You read about these battles and atrocities so many times that you forget that each of the dead were individuals, born at the wrong place, in the wrong time.

Top Bottom