• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

Someone should remind him then:

jttaLe3.png

4bLoxdx.gif

Maybe Mort just doesn't like admitting he made a big mistake.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Well of course it was.... at a certain point in time. It's software, that's what happens. Which is why it does seem strange to me to that we had a huge thread based on the functionality of an OS months before it was actually ready for use. I mean who really cares if the OS was buggy a few months ago, if it's fully functional at launch why does it matter? Why bother making such a big deal about it?
Bingo.

Thuway said it was broken and you said "everything he said" is what you were hearing too.

You backed up his claim.

Right! As i posted up above it's because I got the same goddamn PM from CBoaT. That was the fucking joke. "Or we have the same source."

With that info we did, it was CBoaT.

WebOS would have been great for this. They need some way to get a mobile version of the web displayed in the snap window. Maybe even just have the browser run as mobile all off the time but act like portrait in snap and landscape in 2/3 or full mode.

Wait till launch when you dont hve MS reps breathing down your necks

Eh..then PS should be more of a concern....Even though MS launches a week behind Sony, we've seen more "hands-on" with the xbox 1 UI from people using it even with MS reps right behind them...

We haven't seen as much compareable footage from the PS4 but the safe assumtpion is that everything works on their end.

So the snap function doesn't make the console explode?

Hey cool.
I guess the cost of 720p is so I can use IE on a 3rd of the screen instead of just using my phone like a normal person.

Prelude.

Man, there's a lot of repressed anger in this thread, I guess this is what happens after months of negative news about your console of choice.
Before you start shouting at Mortimer try to actually read what he's posting.

Kuro

Hmm so unfinished XB1 OS was crashing and now that its closer to launch its no longer crashing. The leak of this was kind of pointless then considering how much software changes and updates over time. Cboat and others were just asking to get backlash at this rate. Shouldn't bother leaking info a month before launch on OS that get constantly revised. Now its just fuel for people to try and discredit them.

Right! As i posted up above it's because I got the same goddamn PM from CBoaT. That was the fucking joke. "Or we have the same source."

With that info we did, it was CBoaT.

Alright. I'm not sure really how this changes anything though.

A question (or more) though.

Since snap was supposed to be broken according to what a person saw at that time and it turns out not to be, how confident should I be that the parts XBL as you stated are and will be broken to the point of blog importance?

Is it possible that all the hubbub about it being broken for launch and "months after" could not happen at all too?

What level of input do devs have on the OS code and do they get every single new build as soon as it launches? How old was the build causing the crashes?

I think these things are important for context.

Derrick01

Banned
Everyones credibility is always being tested in times such as these. Why is it wrong to call them out on lies?

I would at least wait and see until people get their hands on the actual things and try it out for themselves before calling people out. We've seen plenty of times in the past that trusting carefully pre-planned videos, whether its OS features or actual games, is usually not the best idea.

Kuro said:
Hmm so unfinished XB1 OS was crashing and now that its closer to launch its no longer crashing. The leak of this was kind of pointless then considering how much software changes and updates over time. Cboat and others were just asking to get backlash at this rate. Shouldn't bother leaking info a month before launch on OS that get constantly revised. Now its just fuel for people to try and discredit them.

This too. Many of them even said it's common and things could change by release. If that's the case then it shouldn't have been "leaked", like you said they were asking for trouble.

I still favor a wait and see for yourself approach here. We're only a few more weeks away.

If it works at launch will you give a shit whether it was broken before?

That's not my point. I'm asking if you think GAF should get a free pass if all these rumors turn out to be false and the Xbox One's snap works flawlessly at launch?

That's what I find flaky, for anyone talking crap this whole time but flip the switch as if nothing happened.

If it works at launch will you give a shit whether it was broken before?

So in my case should I have sat on the info and then at launch if it didn't work I go make a post that says "oh, btw guys, I heard a month ago that XBL is fucked."

Because that's useful...

If they fix this shit before launch that's good. There seems to be some sort of Us vs Them thing going on right now with rabid microsoft fanboys thinking I'm trying to destroy their system. I don't give a shit what system anyone buys. I don't give a shit which one sells more... I don't own stock in either company. I report shit as i hear it. Including good news like Insomniac being on stage with MS at E3. And bad news for Sony like Driveclub getting bumped and Knack not being 60fps. But since my most recent news is negative about the xbox I'm like public enemy number one. People are going fucking insane on me. Nonstop... im a f*ggot, im fat, my wife is a tranny, fucking death threats... because I heard from a few devs that XBL is fucked. Jesus christ!

That's not my point. I'm asking if you think GAF should get a free pass if all these rumors turn out to be false and the Xbox One's snap works flawlessly at launch?

That's what I find flaky, for anyone talking crap this whole time but flip the switch as if nothing happened.
I don't see why not, should they expect some sort of punishment for getting a rumor wrong?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Er...couldnt famousmortimer simply be right at the current point in time.

Today is November 2nd. November 22nd is the launch date. MS literally has 3 weeks. For computer programs, 3 weeks is a LONG amount of time...so at the time when there was problems, MS ironed out the bugs.

Flawless launch and at the same time, FM would be 100% correct that the OS was non-functional.

All those twitter images are like a week old or so.

Edit: Oh shit, nvm, seemed like the exact same stuff they've been saying for awhile now so I thought they were the same old pics.

stormplyr

Honestly who cares if mort or thuway or whoever was wrong? Instead of being mad at the insiders, how about just being happy that the Xbone operating systems seem to be working how they should? We all buy the systems to game because that's what we enjoy. So instead of being mad, be happy that the console of your choice looks to be like it will be in decent working order no matter if it's Xbone or ps4 or both. Christ.

It'll be great for all those unskippable scenes in Metal Gear.
Haha, this is actually a great point.

I think of those time replaying Max Payne 3 where I *might've* appreciated something like snap.

But then again I'd really rather we just ditched the whole concept of unskippable / its-loading-in-the-background cut-scenes. At least ones that last more than a few seconds.

Even with snap I'd probably end up getting sucked into whatever I was using to distract from the cut-scenes in the first place.

There is no winning.

PSGames

Tom Warren managed to record a short video with snapping apps to games and vice versa. Looks pretty good to me - stays fluid while loading BF4 and during game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHtrSV3yEA

edit:
Another video with Killer Instinct and actual IE running on the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIr5HUEP0c

s8PvS6o.png

Holy crap. I'm sorry but the functionality display in the first video is almost enough, by itself, to be worth inferior multiplats. This OS is on another level compared to the competition.

beast786

So in my case should I have sat on the info and then at launch if it didn't work I go make a post that says "oh, btw guys, I heard a month ago that XBL is fucked."

Because that's useful...

If they fix this shit before launch that's good. There seems to be some sort of Us vs Them thing going on right now with rabid microsoft fanboys thinking I'm trying to destroy their system. I don't give a shit what system anyone buys. I don't give a shit which one sells more... I don't own stock in either company. I report shit as i hear it. Including good news like Insomniac being on stage with MS at E3. And bad news for Sony like Driveclub getting bumped and Knack not being 60fps. But since my most recent news is negative about the xbox I'm like public enemy number one. People are going fucking insane on me. Nonstop... im a f*ggot, im fat, my wife is a tranny, fucking death threats... because I heard from a few devs that XBL is fucked. Jesus christ!

Dude that what you get as part when you become a public figure. It comes with territory . It helps to develop thicker skin.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Because that's useful...

Honestly, it comes with the territory no matter the system. If you're willing to throw your neck out the and post shit that you've heard and not experienced for yourself then you have to be ready to take the crazy heat that comes with it. You've been around long enough to know how rabid fanbases of consoles can be. You aren't firing blind.

I've been wrong a bunch. I was wrong about Mirror's Edge 2 being a X1 exclusive. Same with League of Legends and Hawken (I assume... because there hasn't been a peep since pre-e3). I was wrong about Demon's Souls 2 being at launch event in a couple weeks (well, im not wrong yet, but after you watch it I will be wrong). I was wrong about MS moneyhatting devs to not show PS4 builds at e3.

I'm not ever going to argue that I'm always right. I'm not. No one is. Fuck, we've had executives give out bad info about their own machines. I don't mind being wrong. It happens. But with this freaking snap thing... it's driving me nuts because I'm getting hammered on it and it wasn't me. CBoaT and Thuway were the ones talking about it publically. I only posted after the fact... with info that was moot - being that it was after the fact.

Well, everybody is wrong every now and then, but you more or less piled on, giving further weight or validation to the same info. And, let's be realistic, and also fair, there would need to be a far more extensive test of the OS and its features by real consumers to know whether or not there's any weight to the claims that were made, so even though there are videos suggesting things aren't in as much turmoil as implied, the real evidence of such will still only come at launch, or at least with something a lot more substantial than what we've received thus far.

So while there will need to be more evidence as to whether or not you or anyone else was wrong, you kind of did throw your weight behind the claims, and, presumably, would have come back to point out that you were right, in the event that evidence surfaced supporting the initial claims, just as you did when the game resolutions were confirmed for the Xbox One.

After launch, I suspect most of GAF will be too busy playing next gen games on their consoles to give a hoot about unconfirmed rumors. What are you gonna do on launch day, play games or make a thread screaming, "famousmortimer was full of shit! Snap works!"? As long as it works no one will care; we aren't part of the production process so there's no way anyone would know what was true or false anyway.

Dukey

Banned

Because that's useful...

Why do you think anyone should give a shit about an OS that we can't even use being broken before we get a chance to use it? It's unreleased for a reason. It's not ready. Fun fact: Naughty Dog's next game is currently rife with bugs. Just like every other bit of unreleased code out in the world. What good does it serve to tell people that snap was broken? What good other than to create a panic or give ammunition to people already pre-disposed to hating everything about the product? What's worse is you and Thuway used a rumor from Cboat to make it sound like it could take months to fix when in reality you just confirmed it came from Cboat who himself says it'll likely be addressed by launch.

Prelude.

Holy crap. I'm sorry but the functionality display in the first video is almost enough, by itself, to be worth inferior multiplats. This OS is on another level compared to the competition.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I read the same thing before on those Youtube comments.

ref

Looking good...

Don't think Xbox One owners need to worry about the UI, seems to be looking alright in that video.

I've been wrong a bunch. I was wrong about Mirror's Edge 2 being a X1 exclusive. Same with League of Legends and Hawken (I assume... because there hasn't been a peep since pre-e3). I was wrong about Demon's Souls 2 being at launch event in a couple weeks (well, im not wrong yet, but after you watch it I will be wrong). I was wrong about MS moneyhatting devs to not show PS4 builds at e3.

I'm not ever going to argue that I'm always right. I'm not. No one is. Fuck, we've had executives give out bad info about their own machines. I don't mind being wrong. It happens. But with this freaking snap thing... it's driving me nuts because I'm getting hammered on it and it wasn't me. CBoaT and Thuway were the ones talking about it publically. I only posted after the fact... with info that was moot - being that it was after the fact.

Still disappointed that the Hawken rumours didn't pan out.

Thorgi

Honestly, it comes with the territory no matter the system. If you're willing to throw your neck out the and post shit that you've heard and not experienced for yourself then you have to be ready to take the crazy heat that comes with it. You've been around long enough to know how rabid fanbases of consoles can be. You aren't firing blind.

At the same time, it seems rather sad that we expect such vitriol from the Internet. We should strive to improve the general discourse, especially over something as trifling as two upcoming consoles.

Derrick01

Banned

I know you said "almost" but lets not get crazy now. Games are the primary focus here, nothing on the side is worth worse performing and looking games. Assuming there's a trade off in play that is.

Because that's useful...

I think you've misinterpreted my post, as I was responding to someone else. I have no problem with you, or any of the other insiders.

Dukey

Banned

No thank you. I have a laptop that can do that stuff. I buy a video game console for gaming first and foremost. If you're going to sacrifice power for stuff like this, I'm going to buy your competition.

Alright. I'm not sure really how this changes anything though.

A question (or more) though.

Since snap was supposed to be broken according to what a person saw at that time and it turns out not to be, how confident should I be that the parts XBL as you stated are and will be broken to the point of blog importance?

Is it possible that all the hubbub about it being broken for launch and "months after" could not happen at all too?

What level of input do devs have on the OS code and do they get every single new build as soon as it launches? How old was the build causing the crashes?

I think these things are important for context.

He mentioned snap once in a very long conversation just saying it crashed on him uploading a video. I didn't take that to be damning, at all, of anything. All OS's crash. Especially pre-release. But even ones that have been patched 100s of times.

As for XBL... I keep hearing it's fucked. Should you trust that? I have no idea. I'm passing on what I'm hearing. I hope it's not fucked... if that matters.

As far as I understand devs have no input on the OS but they do get the new builds at the same time... MS puts them out to everyone. The build he was talking about was QFE 5. I believe they are now on 6. He says XBL is still fucked on 6 as of today but everything else is "a marked improvement." Others I talked to have said the same thing. QFE 5 broke the API among other things.

Maybe MS has the answer sitting in its pocket but is testing other shit out first. There's no way for him, I, or anyone other than those MS engineers to know that. So he's guessing based on what he has seen so far which is an OS and online service that hasn't improved much since June and, at time, has gotten worse.

Why do you think anyone should give a shit about an OS that we can't even use being broken before we get a chance to use it? It's unreleased for a reason. It's not ready. Fun fact: Naughty Dog's next game is currently rife with bugs. Just like every other bit of unreleased code out in the world. What good does it serve to tell people that snap was broken? What good other than to create a panic or give ammunition to people already pre-disposed to hating everything about the product? What's worse is you and Thuway used a rumor from Cboat to make it sound like it could take months to fix when in reality you just confirmed it came from Cboat who himself says it'll likely be addressed by launch.

I don't remember any of them doing this.

Dukey

Banned
I don't remember any of them doing this.

You remembering it isn't a pre-requisite of it being true though. And Cboat didn't do it. He's the one that came in after the fact and made a point of saying twice that it could probably be fixed by launch.

I know you said "almost" but lets not get crazy now. Games are the primary focus here, nothing on the side is worth worse performing and looking games. Assuming there's a trade off in play that is.

The fact that the game keeps playing when you go to dash, and that you can even play youtube videos snapped on is concerning. Seems to suggest that the games are far from utilising all resources on tap. That youtube video would need more than one 1.6ghz thread to make it play unless very low bitrate, of course that is where some of the GPU accel would come in to help decode, but I would much rather that power be used on the game being played, and the game freeze when you go into dash.

But since my most recent news is negative about the xbox I'm like public enemy number one. People are going fucking insane on me. Nonstop... im a f*ggot, im fat, my wife is a tranny, fucking death threats... because I heard from a few devs that XBL is fucked. Jesus christ!

That really is just fucking pathetic, console zealotry taken to ridiculous levels of extremism.

I feel for you, Mort bro, always appreciate you sharing with the class. Chin up.

Prine

Banned
Yup. No evidence of the snap feature crashing anything an ANY video ever. It's bullshit.

it really is, simply drumming up hysteria for people to continue thier bullshit, closer we get to launch alot of militant haters will be called out, expecting many owners challenge them head on

Dukey

Banned
I don't remember who did it, but someone definitely implied or suggested outright that problems with either Xbox Live or the OS could take months to fix. I'm too tired to bother go searching it out.

Think that came from Reddit.

Nope

From FM
The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

I'm honestly stunned people are giving FM a hard time about this.

Does ANOYNE here actually think either OS or PS+/XBL are running in final code status?What the hell do you think the day one updates are for?

I'm sorry FM but the people here don't seem to understand how development works. You know what...I suggest people actually go to an apple forum and ask them "how well do Apple products launch"

(Total reveal here: I'm an Apple fanboy and I eagerly follow any news from Cupertino. Do you want to know the clusterfuck that was the Air? Even though the OS is the exact same one running on other ipads, there was rumours that Apple had fucked it badly....)

Top Bottom