• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

CookTrain

How does that work? Is there some type of new unified Friends list? If I'm on PC and my friends are on Xbox and Switch, how do I invite them to form a party?

Don't walk before you can run. Parties are a later problem. We need to actually get the crossplay first.

If you think it's worthless until there are parties, this discussion is premature for you.

Herodotus

Sony should really reconsider their stance on this, they are looking really backwards here.

To the people defending Sony, why in the hell would you ever defend something that actually hurts consumers, do you own Sony stocks?

It's 2017, cross-play should be celebrated, gamers have NOTHING to lose by this.

LordKano

How does that work? Is there some type of new unified Friends list? If I'm on PC and my friends are on Xbox and Switch, how do I invite them to form a party?

Depends on the game. I think Minecraft will have a build-in Friends List across all platforms concerned by the Better Together Update.

Patchnotes said it was removed due to Microsoft Policy.

Edit: They updated the post and removed the line, but it originally stated:

EA PATCH NOTES 1.4
By The Fortnite Team

Xbox
Fixed a rare audio crash on Xbox One.
Per policy discussion with Microsoft, removed ability for PC friends to join players on Xbox One

- https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/e...atch-notes-1-4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245644508&postcount=2414

Does anyone read threads anymore?

AmuroChan

Don't walk before you can run. Parties are a later problem. We need to actually get the crossplay first.

If you think it's worthless until there are parties, this discussion is premature for you.

I think it's very worthwhile, which is why I'm asking how I can play with my friends on different platforms. I wasn't aware that parties aren't possible yet.

CookTrain

If the game already has a low population on PS4 chances are it's even lower on XB1.

But by their powers combined... THEY ARE CAPTAIN PLAYERBASE!

I think it's very worthwhile, which is why I'm asking how I can play with my friends on different platforms. I wasn't aware that parties aren't possible yet.

Parties would basically be a per-game basis at the moment. Each game has to figure that stuff out itself unfortunately for the time being. It's one of the bigger downsides of the unwillingness to work these things out we're seeing right now. Some games use a private password system, some use 3rd party accounts and such.

I believe PU floated that by their playerbase and the PC crowd almost imploded. So while I'm hopeful... I'm thinking that may be a backburned project if it ever comes.

Too early to do anything with it now. The PC base is still in "mai precious!" stage. Would be a good idea to throw around again once the game gets closer to retail build.

cyba89

No need for crossplay.., enough players on ps4. I dont understand why people care about this

If its there fine, if its not I will still enjoy the game

What if you have friends that own a different console than you. Would be pretty cool if you could play with them right?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Maybe because it would be pretty cool to play with your friends on PC/One/Switch ?

I feel like that's wishful thinking. In reality you're probably not going to have cross console chat, or be able to match up against your friends unless each individual game maintains cross platform friend lists.

But for the sake of larger, longer lasting pools of players, it should be done.

Gurrry

Whats so stupid about this is that the main reason Sony wont allow it is because theyre "winning" and want to force more people into buying their console.

When in reality, more people are going to buy a PS4 regardless because its clearly the best option right now.

Dividing the community because youre worried Xbox is going to take a bite of your pie is really ignorant, because theyre not.

LordKano

I feel like that's wishful thinking. In reality you're probably not going to have cross console chat, or be able to match up against your friends unless each individual game maintains cross platform friend lists.

But for the sake of larger, longer lasting pools of players, it should be done.

Cross console vocal chat will definitely never happen for obvious reasons, but being able to match up with your friends shouldn't be a problem. Minecraft will do this. It really depends on each game and the amount of effort a developper is willing to put in.

NickMitch

Feels like sonys reasoning boils down to:

Statistically we have al lot more users than xbox one (true) and if we don't allow cross play, there is a greater chance that a non customer buys into our ecosystem to play these games with their friends.

So effing stiff upper lip mentality if true. I wouldnt be surprised if it is their actual reasoning though.

CookTrain

Oh i know, i meant on Gaf in general. Seems like the perfect daily outrage thread

For anyone who wants crossplay, that blocking by MS is just as bull as what Sony is doing and they deserve exactly the same questions. The reason it might be lower profile in that case was because the cross-play was kinda janky nonsense to begin with. Hard to say.

AmuroChan

Cross console vocal chat will definitely never happen for obvious reasons, but being able to match up with your friends shouldn't be a problem. Minecraft will do this. It really depends on each game and the amount of effort a developper is willing to put in.

Minecraft can do it because they're requiring you to log into a XBL account right, even on the Switch? So essentially it's just your XBL Friends List.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Minecraft will do this because everyone will utilize Microsoft's online service. Third parties won't have this luxury, so realistically, all of the talk of playing with friends in Rocket League or Ark is unlikely to happen.

It's really about bigger online communities.

Vena

They seemingly forbid Xbox contact. So if any other platform can touch Xbox Live at the same time as PSN, they won't allow it.

PC is fine. Switch is probably fine. PC or Switch that can also play with Xbox Live at the same time... no go.

Switch isn't universally fine, see: Rocket League.

Sony is only fine with Switch cross-play when they would otherwise have a dead product, see: DQX. If they didn't allow cross-play for this title (and especially because its stuck in Japan), no one would even buy the PS4 version because they'd have no one to play with.

The God

See my man, he's made of straw. I strike at him thusly!

That's not what people are saying and you know it.

Uh, you just posted this which is basically what I said, though?

What is the end goal if it's not a universal friends list?

CookTrain

Minecraft will do this because everyone will utilize Microsoft's online service. Third parties won't have this luxury, so realistically, all of the talk of playing with friends in Rocket League or Ark is unlikely to happen.

It's really about bigger online communities.

Ark has public servers which all versions can connect to and private servers which you could join with a password. So joining with player on Ark shouldn't be a problem across networks. Rocket League seems to only have the private password games to play with specific people right now.

Uh, you just posted this which is basically what I said, though?

What is the end goal if it's not a universal friends list?

I don't believe those two statements are the same. Parties aren't universal friend lists. Who knows what the end goal is, the current goal is cross play at all. If that stops at random matching, that's better than where we're at now. It if did end up at cross platform friends lists, that'd be neat too. Having cross play as the end goal in the first place isn't a problem to me.

They should work on performance, pretty sure Sony allows that.
tenor.gif

FelipeMGM

Crossplay is not really that hard to do, that part shouldnt be news. On a game I did some work on, during development the team used to make crossplay between a Vita and XB1

Only thing stoping this from happening is the platform guidelines

Ascenion

Feels like sonys reasoning boils down to:

Statistically we have al lot more users than xbox one (true) and if we don't allow cross play, there is a greater chance that a non customer buys into our ecosystem to play these games with their friends.

So effing stiff upper lip mentality if true. I wouldnt be surprised if it is their actual reasoning though.

Wouldn't the reverse of that also be true? To an extent? Say I own Minecraft on PS4 and my buddy owns it on Xbox One. It's far easier and cheaper to remove myself from their ecosystem than it is for a buddy to buy a $2-300 console. I could just buy Minecraft on literally anything else for $7-20. And then the time I spend on PS4 is decreased and they are loading my money.

AmuroChan

Yeah maybe that's the trick. They're essentially unifying everyone under one big network.

Ok, so that makes sense since Microsoft owns Minecraft. I wonder if third parties will also just make you create an account under their umbrella. So for EA games you need an Origin account, Ubisoft a UPlay account, etc.

Tagyhag

Not surprised, Sony knows people will complain but the following day they'll go get a PS4 game because they're already stuck on that ecosystem.

Too early to do anything with it now. The PC base is still in "mai precious!" stage. Would be a good idea to throw around again once the game gets closer to retail build.

Or maybe it's because two things will happen: controller users will get insane auto-aim to keep up with mouse and they'll win every headshot fight (Halo 2 Vista/COD Black Ops 3) or they won't get any auto-aim at all and if you have a controller user on your squad you'll be at a severe disadvantage (Shadowrun).

nOoblet16

Yea Sony is being ridiculous.

BUT I can tell you one thing for sure, if MS was in the lead it'd have been Sony allowing cross platform play and MS denying it. Afterall remember MS is the same company that demands exclusive content for their version if the game comes out late on their platform, resulting in developers having only two options i.e. either delay the game or give in to their demands. It's also the same company that blocks universal standards like USB with a requirement for a proprietary chip (they do this for wireless usb chat).

c0de

Sony won't do it because they are winning. There is no reason for them to allow it so it won't happen. Masses won't care anyway, I guess.

Sony

Nintendo
Crossplay between PS4/Xbone is one of those things that would be nice if it were there but both consoles can live without. At this point it's a matter of moral rather than adding a feature.

Warablo

We need every developer to start calling out Sony. Theres no reason why Gwent and such cant have cross play. Seriously start demanding it from Sony.

Sony is on the wrong side of history here. I really wish they would get with the program so I could play Ark and other games with my Xbox playing buddy.

Or maybe it's because two things will happen: controller users will get insane auto-aim to keep up with mouse and they'll win every headshot fight (Halo 2 Vista/COD Black Ops 3) or they won't get any auto-aim at all and if you have a controller user on your squad you'll be at a severe disadvantage (Shadowrun).
Never said it would be good lol. Obviously PC players will have the overwhelming advantage but still doesn't stop people from asking for it. I see people asking for cross play for LawBreakers, a twitch shooter lol.

Mr Moose

Patchnotes said it was removed due to Microsoft Policy.

Edit: They updated the post and removed the line, but it originally stated:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245644508&postcount=2414

Xbox

Fixed a rare audio crash on Xbox One.
Removed ability for PC friends to join players on Xbox One

It's still there. https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/ea-patch-notes-1-4

Edit: Oh they removed the Per policy discussion with Microsoft part.

Top Bottom