• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Nationality or Country would you want to see in a new Street Fighter Character?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't believe the series has gone on for 30 years and there is not one Australian or New Zealand character. Only one from the whole African continent too. Those have to be the biggest omissions for me. US and Japan are so over-represented but that's a problem with fighters in general.

On the other hand waiting 30 years for a Canadian character only to get Abigail makes me wish they never bothered.

They actually considered original Canadian and Australian fighters during SFV development but they ended up cutting them. What a shame.

joe2187

Banned
The one with the spear, I believe.

Yes, Santamu is Vietnamese

Enero (drill hair) is from Spain
Fevrier (gun) France
Marz (laptop) Germany
Aprille (Medic) Italy
Satsuki (sword) Japan
Juni (orange hair) Germany
Juli ( Dark hair) Germany
Xiayu ( thin sword) China
Yanyu (Bo Staff) China
Nemblu (Axe) Mexican/Indian
Dacapre (Mask) Russian

Naar

I have no idea why Capcom went with UAE instead of Kuwait for Rashid (well I do know why, but still) considering Kuwaits relationship and history with Street Fighter

Neoxon

We're long overdue for a Habesha (Eritrean/Ethiopean) character. I'll even do the English voice myself if they want an ethnically-accurate actor (14+ years of Theatre plays/musicals/training under my belt).

Ryce

Ireland - female drunken boxer
Norway - pirate who uses glima (Viking wrestling)
Nigeria - Dambe boxing/grappling monarch (like Black Panther/Doomfist)
Philippines - female Eskrima stick fighter
Indonesia - pencak silat assassin
Australia - animal lover whose fighting style is based on studying animals (kangaroo kick, crocodile roll, etc.)
New Zealand - Maori rugby player

I’d like an Israeli Krav Maga fighter as well, but that would be way too politically charged for Street Fighter. Capcom won’t even mention the country that Rashid is from.

They actually considered original Canadian and Australian fighters during SFV development but they ended up cutting them. What a shame.

Really, I had no idea. Interesting.

I want to say, lately I've been finding it more of a copout when characters have "unknown" nationality. It takes away the chance to have a specific culture inform their design/moves or add something to who they are as people. M. Bison being unknown because he has no specific origin and is a mysterious antagonist, sure. Necalli and Ed being unknown is dumb especially when the former is clearly Aztec-influenced.

Giga Man

I want a Black American woman with a few pounds on her. She will have superhuman strength, sporting body slams, hard slaps, and grapples, and talk all sorts of smack to you. A straight-up sassy street thug. I'm serious.

Either that or the original concept of Rufus, AKA King Cobra. I really want to see a fat Black woman in a popular fighting game, though.

Neoxon

Australia
Colombia
Egypt
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Peru
Philippines
Polynesia (any country, really)
The Nordics (primarily Norway or Iceland)
Venezuela
Vietnam

In terms of martial arts, I want Pencak Silat, Eskrima (Eagle is great, but I'd like to see a native user), Dambe, Bajiquan (I want an Akira/Leo) specifically represented.
It was leaked that the next SFV DLC character, Menat, is Egyptian.

joe2187

Banned
Didn't even realize that Abigail was Canadian

AAamLIe.png

I'd like another character from the Caribbean, this time with at least a reasonable attempt to sound like he should.

AGREED.

As an American man of Dominican (Republic) origin, I'd like to see a representative that's better than this asshole, which is (to my knowledge) the only example of a major publisher like Capcom having a Dominican character in their game:

latest

(That is, until that dude from the GTA IV side game came along)

At this point, it doesn't matter, anywhere from the big or small Antilles will do.

Lulubop

Wish Ed was Puerto Rican. Would have worked will with PR Balrog and boxing being big in PR they can still make that his origin.

Futaleufu

A Nigerian Prince would be swell. Love the accent so yeah, a Nigerian character.

Elena is the most whitewashed black character ever, so I wouldn't trust them with a decent african design. And for some reason almost every black woman has to be half-japanese.

joe2187

Banned
Bison's HQ is in Thailand. His nationality is unknown.

Bison can jump bodies though or possess people or whatever, and Rose a gypsy is a part of his soul and Cammy a blonde haired, blue eyed girl is a clone of him and.....he's a very racial and gender confused person. He's whatever and wherever he wants to be.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait is Urien really Greek?Is this confirmed?

It was implied, and his martial art is based on Greek as well. As far as we know his location was labelled as mediterranean.

Ireland - female drunken boxer
Norway - pirate who uses glima (Viking wrestling)
Nigeria - Dambe boxing/grappling monarch (like Black Panther/Doomfist)
Philippines - female Eskrima stick fighter
Indonesia - pencak silat assassin
Australia - animal lover whose fighting style is based on studying animals (kangaroo kick, crocodile roll, etc.)
New Zealand - Maori rugby player

I’d like an Israeli Krav Maga fighter as well, but that would be way too politically charged for Street Fighter. Capcom won’t even mention the country that Rashid is from.

Yet they made it obvious that he's from UAE. and Did you give up on the concept of French Savate?

igor

i'd obviously love a character from my home country: switzerland.

i think the only real prominent character we have is Mercy from Overwatch.

Isn't Testament from Guilty Gear series Swiss?

I mean I am not sure how I'd see a Polish person in a fighting game represented but yeah I don't think we have a prominent Pole in video games.

joe2187

Banned
I want a Black American woman with a few pounds on her. She will have superhuman strength, sporting body slams, hard slaps, and grapples, and talk all sorts of smack to you. A straight-up sassy street thug. I'm serious.

Either that or the original concept of Rufus, AKA King Cobra. I really want to see a fat Black woman in a popular fighting game, though.

The closest you'll get is Yoko Harmageddon, who is R Mikas Coach and head of her Wrestling league.

CexEFltXIAAyQpC.jpg:large

I want a Black American woman with a few pounds on her. She will have superhuman strength, sporting body slams, hard slaps, and grapples, and talk all sorts of smack to you. A straight-up sassy street thug. I'm serious I really want to see a fat Black woman in a popular fighting game, though.
I would main this character.
The closest you'll get is Yoko Harmageddon, who is R Mikas Coach and head of her Wrestling league.
Yup, yeah, yup. Would definitely main this character.

sleepykyo

i'd obviously love a character from my home country: switzerland.

he could have a time gimmick or a super buff Schwinger from the alps.
i'd settle for a corrupt banker/FIFA official.

i think the only real prominent character we have is Mercy from Overwatch.

There's Elliot in DOA. Granted, that series has fallen off without Microsoft supporting it.

Ryce

I wonder what is their reason for him not making his appearance?
"For a period of time we considered including Momotaru as a playable character. He would have pulled a barrel out from the side of the screen and thrown it at the opponent as his V-Skill. He overlapped a little too much with Birdie so he didn’t make the cut."

Dali

Never forget the original concept art for fucking RUFUS
Came here to say this. I want king cobra or whatever his name was. All the male black characters look goofy as hell. DJ has that goofy smile and Balrog's looking every direction at once. A cool as fuck black fighter would be nice. He can be French since there's already so many Americans.

Top Bottom