• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I finally made it to Heavensward!
Those 2.0 patches were a real slog but the end scenes were really great stuff. Deaths I both wanted and didn't see coming (at least not yet).

Redx508

279726208114098178.png

Ivalice Tuesday Runs at
Run 1: 7PM EST
Run 2: 10PM EST
Quote to reveal sign up

If you don't get loot in Run 1, you can join Run 2 if there are free slots.

Bebpo

Banned
279726208114098178.png

Ivalice Tuesday Runs at
Quote to reveal sign up

Oh cool, thanks for setting up the latter version for us west coasters. I have plans tomorrow, but if you're doing this weekly I'll make the 10pm EST run next week.

Omni

Thordan ex was another beast in itself, IMO. Everyone had to know what they were doing. Especially if you were doing post-meteor prog. That tower/double gaze/AoE into tether/stack/charge was far worse than anything Shinryu is dishing out

Though I guess I was new to doing any kind of difficult content back then and was a lot worse:

iWpZJHP.png

Hahaha

I was the WHM

iammeiam

Comparisons to Thordan get kind of weird because the playerbase is in a much different spot now than it was when Thordan hit. The stated target audience sounds similar--people who are struggling on the third fight of the tier--but the portion of the playerbase that represents is super different. O3S is a step up, but Omega doesn't really have a static breaker. When Thordan hit, too, weapons over i200 were restricted to those who'd cleared A4S by then which was a super tiny pool.

340 and 345 weapons in Shinryu PFs are pretty common, and being full BiS by this point isn't too rare. Add in that the 'hard part' of Thordan was the stuff after his Ultimate that just played out in sequence until he died, while the hard part of Shinryu is the first phase that you can bail out of early at multiple points by hitting him really hard, and the environment is pretty different.

The thing that sounds the scariest to me is also something I've literally never seen because we're so stupidly overgeared that we pushed before it even needing to use healer lb3 in P1--the post-Soar
Tidal Wave sounds like kind of hell depending on where he jumped to and which tiles you still have up.

I really don't know what I think of Shinryu's difficulty, so I'm curious to see if he develops a Thordan-sequel reputation or if he settles down at Sephirot tier where it seems bad but then you learn it and nbd.

DarkKyo

How many patches after the expac does it take for the job relic gear to become upgradeable/dyeable? I forget what the case was with Heavensward.

Omni

How many patches after the expac does it take for the job relic gear to become upgradeable/dyeable? I forget what the case was with Heavensward.
As in the uhhh 290 stuff? They've changed it up a bit. In HW, AF gear was bought with the first set of capped tomes, Esoterics. Then you could dye it when you did Void Ark / a3 savage IIRC. Now though, the tome set of gear is completely different to the AF set. And we have no means of upgrading the latter

so basically... no one knows what their plans are this time around. Pre-release showed it as dyeable and people have speculated about it being upgradeable like relic weapons buuut /shrug

Congrats!! What weapon dropped?

B.K.

My retainers must really love me. Twice today, they've brought back housing items that are going for two million gil on the marketboard.

Qvoth

gonna get my 8th book and thus my bis this week
probably the last time i'll do normal savage this tier?
will mess around with ultimate in PFs

Ken

with heavensward it was the first tome gear and it could be upgraded with alexander drops and then become dyeable, iirc

stormblood is weird in that the first tome gear was the contest winner stuff instead of AF gear

so tldr is idk

rubius01

with heavensward it was the first tome gear and it could be upgraded with alexander drops and then become dyeable, iirc

stormblood is weird in that the first tome gear was the contest winner stuff instead of AF gear

so tldr is idk

AF gear is probably going to be Eureka gear

Apoptomon

Finally got around do running Void Ark for the first time (so behind, lol. One day I'll join the rest of GAF in Rabanastre!)

Is Wiping City still wipe city?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Comparisons to Thordan get kind of weird because the playerbase is in a much different spot now than it was when Thordan hit. The stated target audience sounds similar--people who are struggling on the third fight of the tier--but the portion of the playerbase that represents is super different. O3S is a step up, but Omega doesn't really have a static breaker. When Thordan hit, too, weapons over i200 were restricted to those who'd cleared A4S by then which was a super tiny pool.

340 and 345 weapons in Shinryu PFs are pretty common, and being full BiS by this point isn't too rare. Add in that the 'hard part' of Thordan was the stuff after his Ultimate that just played out in sequence until he died, while the hard part of Shinryu is the first phase that you can bail out of early at multiple points by hitting him really hard, and the environment is pretty different.

It's the dull, no-foresight repetition of Heavensward cycle that is apparently recognized as "working" in the development.
Thordan was a hard fight made of reused concepts and a final story fight that "helps" you with clearing the main raid...
So Shinryu is a hard fight made of reused concepts and a final story fight that "helps" you with clearing the main raid.
Only... Well, Deltascape is not Creator.

Thordan ex was another beast in itself, IMO. Everyone had to know what they were doing. Especially if you were doing post-meteor prog. That tower/double gaze/AoE into tether/stack/charge was far worse than anything Shinryu is dishing out

Though I guess I was new to doing any kind of difficult content back then and was a lot worse:

iWpZJHP.png

Hahaha

I was the WHM

Is that THE Aya Liz from FFLogs

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Do ventures have a chance to reward fc crafted house exteriors now? Seems like those markets are crashing. Managed to get the dining one for 45k gil where it sold for 6mil before the patch.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do ventures have a chance to reward fc crafted house exteriors now? Seems like those markets are crashing. Managed to get the dining one for 45k gil where it sold for 6mil before the patch.

I think someone in FC chat mentioned getting the dining house wall.

I never realized the establishment housing walls were ever worth that much. Figured anyone customizing their house would want one of the other ones (Moogle, Carbuncle, etc.)

Malakhov

Banned
Decided to go back to my paladin on adamantoise, the 100% exp bonus was too great to pass on. I'm now lvl 26 and just tanked the first 3 dungeons of the game and I love it now, it's all starting to take shape.

I have to say on one run though there was some crazy moron pulling everything in the zone and was giving me problems but I was able to keep the agro on and save everyone from death.

Hopefully there isnt a whole lot of that type of individuals in the game...

I wish I didnt pick a roegadyn though, my character takes the whole freaking screen lol
I found out about the fantasia phials, anyone knows of a website that shows you what all the races looks like in different types of armor? I'd like to know what race looks best in plate armor.

Thorgal

Decided to go back to my paladin on adamantoise, the 100% exp bonus was too great to pass on. I'm now lvl 26 and just tanked the first 3 dungeons of the game and I love it now, it's all starting to take shape.

I have to say on one run though there was some crazy moron pulling everything in the zone and was giving me problems but I was able to keep the agro on and save everyone from death.

Hopefully there isnt a whole lot of that type of individuals in the game...

I wish I didnt pick a roegadyn though, my character takes the whole freaking screen lol
I found out about the fantasia phials, anyone knows of a website that shows you what all the races looks like in different types of armor? I'd like to know what race looks best in plate armor.

My motto is "you pull it, you tank it"

If you accidentally pulled something, fine. I'll come get it off of you.

That being said, if you do the above and instead of bringing it to me you run around while the add is killing you you are on your own.

I will not risk turning all the adds around to the party to save someone's ass.

MogCakes

Doing Wanderer's Palace with a command mission is torture. The AI will just barely heal you in time and the tank runs all over the place instead of letting the adds come to it. And the combined DPS contribution of all three AI members is lower than player DPS by a wide margin, so it's incredibly easy to rip hate and die. I will probably run command missions on RDM or WAR so I can survive better.

Zomba13

Doing Wanderer's Palace with a command mission is torture. The AI will just barely heal you in time and the tank runs all over the place instead of letting the adds come to it. And the combined DPS contribution of all three AI members is lower than player DPS by a wide margin, so it's incredibly easy to rip hate and die. I will probably run command missions on RDM or WAR so I can survive better.

Pick Tank
Assign 2 Archers as DPS
Spam "Engage"
Watch the mobs melt while you watch something on netflix on your second screen

studyguy

Trying to run Wanderer's as a DPS with squadrons is like trying to herd cats.
The AI has 0 attention span when it comes to focusing.
I wish there was an overriding FOCUS ON THIS command.
You can only spam engage so many times before they inevitably fuck off

You can spend ventures to send out retainers on gathering missions. Some take an hour, some take way longer, but they'll always bring back something depending on what their assigned class is. Sometimes ultra rare expensive stuff.

Ok I should figure this out.

I went to my retainer yesterday and it asked for venture I thought and I did it not knowing what it was. I came back recently so there's a decent amount of stuff I'm not familiar with.

Have any idea what I did? It was at the top of my retainer menu. I clicked it and then another thing and then it went away.

Leunam

I went to my retainer yesterday and it asked for venture I thought and I did it not knowing what it was. I came back recently so there's a decent amount of stuff I'm not familiar with.

Have any idea what I did? It was at the top of my retainer menu. I clicked it and then another thing and then it went away.

You might have sent them out on a mission. You won't get much until they're high level and wearing decent gear. Until then, ventures grant experience and small rewards. Maybe you'll get a seashell.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You might have sent them out on a mission. You won't get much until they're high level and wearing decent gear. Until then, ventures grant experience and small rewards. Maybe you'll get a seashell.
I stopped sending one of my retainers on quick missions, because she kept bringing me fish. I know it doesn't matter, but she's a miner...

iammeiam

The Quick Exploration loot pool got a pretty decent bump in 4.1, and my retainer started bringing back a ton of HW leveling greens, PVP gear, etc (I think Mameshiba is in the pool too?) but it kind of sucks for gathering retainers since the quality of what they can come back with is iLevel-bound and I think I had to get my combat retainer in the neighborhood of i300 to qualify for the 'best' stuff.

It'll just be fish again soon, I'm sure, but it's been entertaining to at least get newer stuff back.

It's the dull, no-foresight repetition of Heavensward cycle that is apparently recognized as "working" in the development.
Thordan was a hard fight made of reused concepts and a final story fight that "helps" you with clearing the main raid...
So Shinryu is a hard fight made of reused concepts and a final story fight that "helps" you with clearing the main raid.
Only... Well, Deltascape is not Creator.

What's interesting to me in a weird way nobody else cares about is that Shinryu and Thordan fill the same content spot, but the message of the fights is basically opposite. Thordan was a "stop focusing on DPS checks and group comp; just do the mechanics already." fight, but Shinryu ends up being a fight that emphasizes ways that more DPS makes the fight easier. Skip giant chunks of P1, push into final phase ASAP, the entire way the healer adds work, etc.

I still think the fight is bizarrely tuned if it's aimed at people that couldn't O3S with 330 weapons, though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What's interesting to me in a weird way nobody else cares about is that Shinryu and Thordan fill the same content spot, but the message of the fights is basically opposite. Thordan was a "stop focusing on DPS checks and group comp; just do the mechanics already." fight, but Shinryu ends up being a fight that emphasizes ways that more DPS makes the fight easier. Skip giant chunks of P1, push into final phase ASAP, the entire way the healer adds work, etc.

I still think the fight is bizarrely tuned if it's aimed at people that couldn't O3S with 330 weapons, though.

I think Thordan was a lot better in that it had very clear dodge-burst rhythm that was easy to process whereas Shinryu is like this huge DPS followed by a mostly trivial adds phase and after that it's this really really weird phase that's not even half as difficult as the first part. I think the fight fell under the weight of the spectacle they had in mind for it. Unfortunately I don't think some kind of message or design philosophy was being observed in either case, they just wanted to make cool-looking fights.

iammeiam

Eh, Thordan I think was a message fight. You had groups obsessing over 'gear walls' and changing comps to meet the Living Liquid DPS check, when they were exploding to adds or failing Digititis passes and not hitting consistently hitting fight enrage, and Yoshida giving interviews that amounted to "No, seriously, do the mechanics and then worry about damage":

It's still been a hot topic, so do you have any advice for players who are still suffering trying to get through the third part of savage Alexander Gordias?

Yoshida: Well, it depends on where they are stuck and the individual party, so it's hard to give general advice...

Anything that we should try?

Yoshida: Well, I think working on mechanics should be the first priority rather than focusing on damage. Try a section 10 times, and give priority to getting through that part of the fight 10 times without any issue. If someone doesn't understand what to do or makes a mistake, practice for that person. If you proceed through the fight without everyone on the same page, the differences will get exacerbated. Instead of setting really high goals, work on the fight one phase at a time and you'll get better results. Let DPS be the last thing you focus on. If you're playing with a focus on DPS from the start, you'll be neglecting how to properly deal with certain mechanics. It's a much better goal to be certain that you can get through the mechanics of phases instead of being able to reduce the boss to a certain HP percentage. Part of avoiding the mechanics has nothing to do with DPS. Once you are at a point where all eight players are able to cleanly deal with mechanics, that's the first time you should start thinking about DPS. The first goal should be to kill it before timing out, and then you can think about ways to shorten the time spent in each phase.

They then dump Thordan on the world, where the DPS check was intentionally lenient and the biggest gain from decent damage in the back half was.... skipping a DPS check at the very end. Mechanics were the centerpiece and enrage was as much of a non-issue as they could make it to clearly convey the whole shut-up-and-dance thing.

It might have been an accident, but I still think Thordan as designed was probably the smartest content-as-teaching-tool they've done. I don't think there's anything in the game Shinryu can address in the same way, just because of how Omega worked out; I just think it's funny that they defaulted to "throw DPS at it" for the primal when DPS checks were super lax this tier.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
279726208114098178.png

Ivalice Tuesday Runs at
Quote to reveal sign up

Can you put me in for 7PM (SAM DPS)? I can't access the site right now.

yaffi

This is how it usually goes.

aceface

Just got back after a looong hiatus, and I forgot I had four retainers packed to the gills with shit. I'm dreading this...

Open up your retainer's inventory, left click on an item and choose "Have retainer sell items." Just keep clicking. Let it all gooooo

Top Bottom