• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

I only have a WiiU. But I'm not interested in Batman anyway.
But the truth is that I prefer screen tearing so much instead of frame rate issues.

*projectile vomit*

I think it must be because I've been PC/Nintendo for so long, I feel like I never had to put up with screen tearing. I hate it so much whenever I see it.

balgajo

*projectile vomit*

I think it must be because I've been PC/Nintendo for so long, I feel like I never had to put up with screen tearing. I hate it so much whenever I see it.

I only play games on Nintendo/PC too. But stuttering with vsync on bother me a lot than screen tearing.

EDIT: Not that screen tearing doesn't bother me, but in PC games the first thing that I do to improve games performance is to turn off vsync.

hQGu1.jpg

Define modern
Remember when new controllers were 15 bucks?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There is a specific technical issue prevalent in a lot of Wii U games that bothers me, that being framerate judder. Perhaps most 3rd party games suffer from it, and even The Wonderful 101 has it. Essentially, even when affected games run at a steady 30fps or 60fps, there is a bad tick every few frames, making the game stutter. Sonic Racing Transformed is particularly struck by it.

The fact that no Ubisoft titles are affected (including the most complex, like AC4), while Capcom's mere 3DS port of Monster Hunter is eaten alive by framerate judder, suggests there's a fundamental adjustment that must be done to a game's engine to avoid it. But it's frustrating that so many games on the system suffer from it.

There is a specific technical issue prevalent in a lot of Wii U games that bothers me, that being framerate judder. Perhaps most 3rd party games suffer from it, and even The Wonderful 101 has it. Essentially, even when affected games run at a steady 30fps or 60fps, there is a bad tick every few frames, making the game stutter. Sonic Racing Transformed is particularly struck by it.

The fact that no Ubisoft titles are affected (including the most complex, like AC4), while Capcom's mere 3DS port of Monster Hunter is eaten alive by framerate judder, suggests there's a fundamental adjustment that must be done to a game's engine to avoid it. But it's frustrating that so many games on the system suffer from it.

Havent noticed it in Wonderful 101. I do think the drawing part where it slows down is a design choice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Havent noticed it in Wonderful 101. I do think the drawing part where it slows down is a design choice.

The slow motion is intentional, yeah.

And the framerate judder is a small tick that happens once a second or so, especially in larger stages that have a lot of geometry. It's nowhere near as bad as most games that have it (go Platinum) but it's a noticeable artifact of Wii U performance.

Zing

Banned
I'm mildly annoyed with myself. I couldn't find a good third game in the Target B2G1 deal, so I picked Wii U Arkham Origins and immediately traded it into Futureshop for $30, since no one wanted to buy it for $40. This was several weeks ago when I anticipated only playing first-party games on the system. Now I am in full blown Wii U mindset, acquiring many third party games, and I would actually like to have that Batman game. Sigh. I guess I will wait for a used copy at $40 or less in the future. I have enough games to last me a few months anyway.

EDarkness

The difference is negligible honestly. The worst thing is lack of AA, but the less bug-prone code and v-sync make up for it. It's still a terrific looking game.

This is my feeling as well. I own it and the game is fine. It's still a good game and people are enjoying it. That should always be the most important part.

Effect

Those that got Splinter Cell. What kind of replayability does the game have? Just in case online multiplayer isn't doable because of population. If get it I don't want to have to sell it because there isn't anything left to do if I do get it. Would like for there to be a reason to keep it in my collection.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Those that got Splinter Cell. What kind of replayability does the game have? Just in case online multiplayer isn't doable because of population. If get it I don't want to have to sell it because there isn't anything left to do if I do get it. Would like for there to be a reason to keep it in my collection.

Well, I'd say good value, if, for example, you'll do mainly the "mandatory" missions during the first playthrough, because there are tons of side mission available.

Btw, thanks again for batman replies: I've decided I'll get the Wii U version early next year with ACIV (from not until the end of the year, for Wii U I'll buy Mario and Scribblenauts)

I was also wondering if buying Tekken Tag: in PAL it is at 29€, I've got a new HDD for the Wii U, and I've also got the 5€ Premium discount code...so...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sorry for the double posting but...

I've read about Rayman permanently discounted to 29€ on the PAL eshop.
So, dilemma: at the same price I can get also Tekken Tag T2 always on the eshop.
I've also got a 5€ discout code, so I was ready to buy one of the two games...

Which should I get?
Considering that in a couple of weeks I'll buy Mario, I'd say that I could have enought platforming love in da house, but I'm more a platformer than a beat'em up guy, so I'm torned.

I'm mildly annoyed with myself. I couldn't find a good third game in the Target B2G1 deal, so I picked Wii U Arkham Origins and immediately traded it into Futureshop for $30, since no one wanted to buy it for $40. This was several weeks ago when I anticipated only playing first-party games on the system. Now I am in full blown Wii U mindset, acquiring many third party games, and I would actually like to have that Batman game. Sigh. I guess I will wait for a used copy at $40 or less in the future. I have enough games to last me a few months anyway.

I am in full blown Wii U mode myself but it is getting expensive. I got mine at launch but I need to get games from August onwards and some good ones I missed. Already got WW HD and need Pikmin 3, TW101 and Deux Ex HR. I will also grab on the cheap NFSMWU and Batman AC. Next year I will get AC4, Batman AO and CoD Ghost. I will not lie, I have some hype for some shooters but I am delaying buying a PC the most I can.

It is really worrying how sometimes comparisons and game problems are greatly exaggerated. I bought CoD BOs 2 and yes the first 2 missions have bad framerate drops, but the MP is butter smooth. I played the whole campaign and it looks very good keeping a solid framerate except for the first mission. I prefer to go by other users impressions. Also if the game is mostly playable Off TV and gamepad enhancements win for me.

Three different playstyles to master if that's your thing. Even if you stick to one, you are ranked after each mission so you can keep replaying to try and get a better score. Your score is also compared to Friends, and the game will often challenge you to beat a Friend's score in a certain mission.

Then take the above and factor in the different difficulty levels.

cacildo

Pro Controller: Yes, but only for co-op.
Also supports two-screen co-op (One person on the GamePad screen, the other having the full TV).

REALLY?

Like... not the same image at both screens??

Because this is huge. This is basically the reason for the wiiu to exist: giving two screens for mulltiplayer and ditching the split screen

is this game any good or is it like the usual lego games?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
REALLY?

Like... not the same image at both screens??

Because this is huge. This is basically the reason for the wiiu to exist: giving two screens for mulltiplayer and ditching the split screen

is this game any good or is it like the usual lego games?

Don't know about Lego Marvel, but I agree that the multiplayer locally based on the offscreen for the gamepad player is great.
I've tried it with CoD BLOPS2 and it's amazing, not considering also the other (Land for example) asymmetric games. Less great for Fifa, just because the image is the same, shared without split 8but still great for penalty kicks)
But generally, being allowed to play local multiplayer without splitting the tv screen is great.

So, dilemma: at the same price I can get also Tekken Tag T2 always on the eshop.

Which should I get?
Considering that in a couple of weeks I'll buy Mario, I'd say that I could have enought platforming love in da house, but I'm more a platformer than a beat'em up guy, so I'm torned.
Legends makes the best case for having a gamepad and is a pure joy to play.

69wpm

Which should I get?

I'm in the same situation. Buy Tekken from shopto at 15 Pounds (+ shipping) and Rayman now or later, it will always be that price, it might get even more discounted in a future sale.

maxcriden

Which should I get?

Aostia, I would really go for Rayman. If you're a big platformer fan and dug Origins, I think it's not to be missed. With that said, the
final levels/
are bogus. There's a lot of really good stuff in the game, though. It's not quite as amazing as Origins, and I think in a lot of ways it's easier, but it's still a lot of fun and well worth playing. I would say if you have played the Challenges App extensively prior to launch the game itself ends up feeling a touch less fresh than it would otherwise. If not, more will feel new to you in the game. It's definitely a quality game, just not as mind-blowingly amazing as Origins.

ETA: As soxinthebox said above, the gamepad sections are really clever and fun, and bursting with creativity and innovation.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
thanks everyone for the replies.
considering how both Tekken and Rayman are discounted permanently, I'll probably wait a little bit more to decide.
In the meantime, I'll downlaod Sonic and Lego demo, and EDGE this week.
With the latest chapters of Layton left, Zelda, Mario and Bravely coming, I'm sure I'll not starve for games in the incoming weeks

Effect

Three different playstyles to master if that's your thing. Even if you stick to one, you are ranked after each mission so you can keep replaying to try and get a better score. Your score is also compared to Friends, and the game will often challenge you to beat a Friend's score in a certain mission.

Then take the above and factor in the different difficulty levels.

Well, I'd say good value, if, for example, you'll do mainly the "mandatory" missions during the first playthrough, because there are tons of side mission available.

Thanks. The helps to push me closer to making a purchase. Still waiting to find it price lower though. By ton of side missions are we talking about a number in the teens or 20+?

As I was playing more Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land last night I so hope Nintendo sees the need for another Metroid Prime or even just an HD remake of the Trilogy. I don't even really care so much about competitive multiplayer. In fact I think Nintendo would be bad at it. A horde mode would very much be something they could do right. Metroid Blast is very likely to be my go to shooter game for the time being since I've dropped Call of Duty: Ghost

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thanks. The helps to push me closer to making a purchase. Still waiting to find it price lower though. By ton of side missions are we talking about a number in the teens or 20+?

As I was playing more Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land last night I so hope Nintendo sees the need for another Metroid Prime or even just an HD remake of the Trilogy. I don't even really care so much about competitive multiplayer. In fact I think Nintendo would be bad at it. A horde mode would very much be something they could do right. Metroid Blast is very likely to be my go to shooter game for the being since I've dropped Call of Duty: Ghost

I think that the side missions not mandatory to complete the game are around a dozen.
I could be wrong, so wait for additional comments

lol, is this what it has come to?

Don't know about history, honestly. If those v-sync and bug issues topic pointed out here are true, what I can say is just that this topic offered me a better support than DF analysis in opting for PS3 or Wii U version of that game

kunonabi

As I was playing more Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land last night I so hope Nintendo sees the need for another Metroid Prime or even just an HD remake of the Trilogy. I don't even really care so much about competitive multiplayer. In fact I think Nintendo would be bad at it. A horde mode would very much be something they could do right. Metroid Blast is very likely to be my go to shooter game for the time being since I've dropped Call of Duty: Ghost

i hated echoes and corruption so i'd rather prime stay buried. i'd much for 3rd person game based around Blast's controls since they are easily my favorite as far as 3rd person shooters go.

Van Owen

Banned
Don't know about history, honestly. If those v-sync and bug issues topic pointed out here are true, what I can say is just that this topic offered me a better support than DF analysis in opting for PS3 or Wii U version of that game

Well, no Wii U fans were calling them biased after their Trine 2 or NFS Head 2 Heads.

Van Owen

Banned
I don't know if it's "come to this" but I recall their original review of the Wii U tried to paint it in a negative light even though so much of the hardware is customized and unknown. There was no way of knowing at all what the system was capable of then and that's still the case now. Judging the games are fine but trying to say the system is weak as fact when you admit to not knowing what is in it is wrong and shows a bias against it I think.

Fact: it's weak compared to PS4/Xbox One and in the realm of 360/PS3. We've known this since before the system was out.

nordique

Fact: it's weak compared to PS4/Xbox One and in the realm of 360/PS3. We've known this since before the system was out.

But we've also known its more capable than PS360. The poor effort gone into ports hasn't done the system's capabilities justice.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, no Wii U fans were calling them biased after their Trine 2 or NFS Head 2 Heads.

don't see why you should generalize.
who said what? why caling out "it" or "fans"?
this df analysis was out-focused honestly.
to me, interest in that game for ps3 or wiiu, that's all

I just want to see FAST Racing Neo so we can see what this baby can do.

Now that Shin'en has no forced limit (they create their own, they LOVE testing themselves), this should be a prime example of its true potential, and without a forced limit, it would likely be the same retail or digital.

Nudull

Banned
Decided to do some early shopping and reserved Super Mario 3D World for Friday (thanks for the suggestions, guys!). Hopefully I can get up to three or four games either before or when I get my Wii U. Along with the other two games I mentioned, I'm pretty interested in Scribblenauts Unmasked, Rayman Legends Deus Ex HR, Tekken, Batman AC/AO, Mario and Sonic Sochi and Zombi U. Always exciting when I get a new Nintendo console. :)

maxcriden

Decided to do some early shopping and reserved Super Mario 3D World for Friday (thanks for the suggestions, guys!). Hopefully I can get up to three or four games either before or when I get my Wii U. Along with the other two games I mentioned, I'm pretty interested in Scribblenauts Unmasked, Rayman Legends Deus Ex HR, Tekken, Batman AC/AO, Mario and Sonic Sochi and Zombi U. Always exciting when I get a new Nintendo console. :)

DId you get NSMBU, NSLU, Nintendo Land or Pikmin? Those are all great. Pikmin is really surprisingly amazing, speaking as someone who never got into the first game.

Nudull

Banned
DId you get NSMBU, NSLU, Nintendo Land or Pikmin? Those are all great. Pikmin is really surprisingly amazing, speaking as someone who never got into the first game.

I'm hoping to track down the NSMBU/NSLU deluxe bundle. I know that Pikmin 3 gets a lot of love, although the Wii port of the first game didn't grab me as much as I hoped. Nintendo Land, I'm also a little a little iffy about as well, though I'm a bit surprised that people have been positive about it.

maxcriden

I'm hoping to track down the NSMBU/NSLU deluxe bundle. I know that Pikmin 3 gets a lot of love, although the Wii port of the first game didn't grab me as much as I hoped. Nintendo Land, I'm also a little a little iffy about as well, though I'm a bit surprised that people have been positive about it.

Just to respond to each--Pikmin 3 is. Really. Incredible. One of the GOTYs for me and in many years it would just be straight up GOTY. Like you I wasn't big on the first Pikmin game. I really think this is a terrific game though and well worth playing. As for Nintendo Land, it's also a great game. I would say if you can play with others in person you are going to have a better time with it, but with that said it's still well worth playing if you will be playing it single player. It's absolutely packed with content and bursting with creativity and innovation. It's really great and I can't recommend it enough. (Plus you can get it for a pretty low price now.)

KU_

I can vouch for Pikmin 3 being great. Never played the first two, so I didn't know what to expect jumping into the third. Lovely game, although I still have to finish it.

Tokieda

Although I like a lot of the little changes I don't know if they have fixed whatever your problems were with it. I can tell you that it's the most streamlined Pikmin experience and that the gameplay is a lot tighter than the Wii remake (if you play with motion plus).
It's a real shame the game doesn't have a demo...

Weng

Never played a Pikmin game before 3 and loved it.

Nintendo Land is a collection of "mini"-games done right. Where something like Wii Party (U) is a mini game collection for people who don't have to be into video games, Nintendo Land is a video game fan's collection of "mini" games. Nintendo Land is THE "mini"-game collection if the term never had a negative meaning attached to it. It's 12 good to great arcade games in one. It's a game collection that's fun alone and multiplayer. The only thing bad about it is that there isn't more of it (and maybe the absence of online leaderboards and online multiplayer).

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo Land, I'm also a little a little iffy about as well, though I'm a bit surprised that people have been positive about it.

Nintendo Land suffers from the E3 2012 fireworks debacle and the ridicule that was born from that. It still makes the best cases for the GamePad in a multiplayer setting (alongside ZombiU) and offers some truly great, NEW experiences not possible elsewhere that can also be enjoyed solo and have some great depth and challenge to them (that DK game =O). For solo players, it's basically a bunch of ridiculously amazing looking arcade games condensed into a single package with multiplayer variants putting a twist on them. The three multiplayer-only games are some of the most fun you can have with local competitive and cooperative play and the solo games (which have hidden assist-play functions, btw) are a great challenge for those who like to sink their teeth into games. Plus, dat soundtrack! /faints

cacildo

From time to time i just rediscover a mini game in nintendoland.

A few weeks ago it was balloon fight breeze whatever. Played it for days, trying to beat my high score.

When i first got the game i played it once and said "yeah ok" and pass it. And then suddenly months later im playing it like crazy

I guess the same will happen to Game and Wario

kunonabi

Nintendo Land suffers from the E3 2012 fireworks debacle and the ridicule that was born from that. It still makes the best cases for the GamePad in a multiplayer setting (alongside ZombiU) and offers some truly great, NEW experiences not possible elsewhere that can also be enjoyed solo and have some great depth and challenge to them (that DK game =O). For solo players, it's basically a bunch of ridiculously amazing looking arcade games condensed into a single package with multiplayer variants putting a twist on them. The three multiplayer-only games are some of the most fun you can have with local competitive and cooperative play and the solo games (which have hidden assist-play functions, btw) are a great challenge for those who like to sink their teeth into games. Plus, dat soundtrack! /faints

yeah, Nintendoland feels like a collection of Nintendo's early NES output with their old school score attack gameplay married with their more recent muliplayer expertise from the wii era. Wrap all that up with the stamps, excellent production values and polish and you get this excellent love letter to Nintendo and their fans from the past and present.

I truly believe it's one of the best things Nintendo has ever done and i agree that e3 presentation really didn't get that across.

Top Bottom