• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

okno

Here you go.

Almost bought it yesterday but wanted to get some impressions first.

Oh, thanks! Usually, it will just redirect to the US store, so I assumed it wasn't available.

After playing through the first 12 stages, I'm impressed! This is very much classic Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble. The graphics are tight, bright, and clean, and the music is just as I remembered it (I haven't really played any PB games since the Dreamcast version). There is really nothing new to be had here, it's just a super polished mobile version. You get a daily mission every 8 hours that grants you access to the bonus round where you can win a ton of coins. Coins are won at a steady rate through playing the stages, as well as meeting certain criteria on the map (such as getting 25 stars to unlock a treasure chest, or playing a certain amount of stages), and can be used to purchase power ups before a stage (the only one I have unlocked is the Sniper Sight, but there are a total of 4), as well as a new character. Purchasing characters is very much like any gacha game, except there is no premium currency to use here and there are no IAPs for coins. 30,000 coins will grant you an A-SS (rare) rank character, while 6000 coins will nab you a more common monster. You level up your characters by either spending coins to level them up, or by getting multiples in the gacha machine. You equip a character before a stage to unlock their abilities. Some grant you bonus coins when you clear a stage, while others will grant you bonus points when popping certain colors. There appears to be a great deal of characters to unlock, as well. The other gacha element in the game would be the daily login rewards, but that's it. The game also does NOT require internet to be played!

The game is kind of everything you could want in a Puzzle Bobble game, but I hope they add an endless mode, or extra modes in general, somewhere down the line. I do recommend changing the control scheme from A to B. A-mode is tap and release to shoot a bubble, while B-mode lets you aim by tapping and shooting by tapping the shoot button.

awp69

Matt Frost

Oh, thanks! Usually, it will just redirect to the US store, so I assumed it wasn't available.

After playing through the first 12 stages, I'm impressed! This is very much classic Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble. The graphics are tight, bright, and clean, and the music is just as I remembered it (I haven't really played any PB games since the Dreamcast version). There is really nothing new to be had here, it's just a super polished mobile version. You get a daily mission every 8 hours that grants you access to the bonus round where you can win a ton of coins. Coins are won at a steady rate through playing the stages, as well as meeting certain criteria on the map (such as getting 25 stars to unlock a treasure chest, or playing a certain amount of stages), and can be used to purchase power ups before a stage (the only one I have unlocked is the Sniper Sight, but there are a total of 4), as well as a new character. Purchasing characters is very much like any gacha game, except there is no premium currency to use here and there are no IAPs for coins. 30,000 coins will grant you an A-SS (rare) rank character, while 6000 coins will nab you a more common monster. You level up your characters by either spending coins to level them up, or by getting multiples in the gacha machine. You equip a character before a stage to unlock their abilities. Some grant you bonus coins when you clear a stage, while others will grant you bonus points when popping certain colors. There appears to be a great deal of characters to unlock, as well. The other gacha element in the game would be the daily login rewards, but that's it. The game also does NOT require internet to be played!

The game is kind of everything you could want in a Puzzle Bobble game, but I hope they add an endless mode, or extra modes in general, somewhere down the line. I do recommend changing the control scheme from A to B. A-mode is tap and release to shoot a bubble, while B-mode lets you aim by tapping and shooting by tapping the shoot button.

Cant wait to arrive home and get this. How are the additional downloads i heard? Keeps downloading new assets as you progressed trough those 12 levels?

okno

Cant wait to arrive home and get this. How are the additional downloads i heard? Keeps downloading new assets as you progressed trough those 12 levels?

There was an initial download that took two minutes, and I've had a few since then that only took a few seconds. Haven't had any additional downloads since about level 10 (on the second island) and I'm now on the third island (level 17, I think?) The difficulty of the stages is beginning to ramp up nicely, as well. I was able to 3-star the first 12 levels without even blinking, but I've since hit three stages that are making it difficult to get more than two.

awp69

Run, run, run....to redownload Ticket to Earth!!! Episode 2 is here!!!

Edit: Urghh!!! iCloud save is not restoring!?!?

PittaGAF

Run, run, run....to redownload Ticket to Earth!!! Episode 2 is here!!!

Edit: Urghh!!! iCloud save is not restoring!?!?

Hmmmm worked fine for me.
I've seen the new intro and the new map at least.
Did you try the icon on top to retrieve the cloud save? Is the date correct?

EDIT: Done the first mission....still awesome.

PittaGAF

That's something wrong with me.

I already started searching the AppStore for Darkest Dungeon hoping in some sort of mistake/early release.

awp69

Hmmmm worked fine for me.
I've seen the new intro and the new map at least.
Did you try the icon on top to retrieve the cloud save? Is the date correct?

EDIT: Done the first mission....still awesome.

Yeah, doesn’t work even using the icon. There is no date since it gives the “unable to restore” error. Oh well, guess I’ll have to play through it all again.

PittaGAF

Yeah, doesn’t work even using the icon. There is no date since it gives the “unable to restore” error. Oh well, guess I’ll have to play through it all again.

Bummer.
I saw you contacted the devs, did they answer?
Can you see the save on iCloud data?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hit stage 53 or so last night on Bust-A-Move. That game definitely gets harder as you place. Boss battles are also a neat feature that I don't remember in previous games. Really cool game that I HOPE does well for them.

awp69

Bummer.
I saw you contacted the devs, did they answer?
Can you see the save on iCloud data?

No word from the devs. I can see data there but it may even just be from last night. Then again, it doesn’t show up at all when I use the iCloud icon to restore so who knows.

I did have to do a lot of restores with iOS 11 so maybe it got messed up somewhere along the way.

Not the end of the world but it will take me a while to get back through episode 1 with limited time to play.

PittaGAF

No word from the devs. I can see data there but it may even just be from last night. Then again, it doesn’t show up at all when I use the iCloud icon to restore so who knows.

I did have to do a lot of restores with iOS 11 so maybe it got messed up somewhere along the way.

Not the end of the world but it will take me a while to get back through episode 1 with limited time to play.

Just my guess but I think your save is still there so I would wait a bit and in particular I wouldn't upload to the cloud a new save.
Maybe it's just that iOS 11 that modified something in the cloud so the game can't access properly the save?

Just a guess but worth trying.

Matt Frost

Puz Bob J is fantastic. Exactly what i wanted it to be. Will be a permanent stapple on my iPhone. Will work trough the 270 base levels (more than enough for a while) and then see if i want to buy 500 more levels for 4€. Probably. Tecmo took their time but finally did it right. My new to go game.

Now i also want to check Arkanoid vs Space Invaders since is from Taito/Squeenix... but timed levels...

There was an initial download that took two minutes, and I've had a few since then that only took a few seconds. Haven't had any additional downloads since about level 10 (on the second island) and I'm now on the third island (level 17, I think?) The difficulty of the stages is beginning to ramp up nicely, as well. I was able to 3-star the first 12 levels without even blinking, but I've since hit three stages that are making it difficult to get more than two.

awp69

Just my guess but I think your save is still there so I would wait a bit and in particular I wouldn't upload to the cloud a new save.
Maybe it's just that iOS 11 that modified something in the cloud so the game can't access properly the save?

Just a guess but worth trying.

Yeah, I figured I would not upload a cloud save and wait to see if the dev responds.

awp69

Puz Bob J is fantastic. Exactly what i wanted it to be. Will be a permanent stapple on my iPhone. Will work trough the 270 base levels (more than enough for a while) and then see if i want to buy 500 more levels for 4€. Probably. Tecmo took their time but finally did it right. My new to go game.

Now i also want to check Arkanoid vs Space Invaders since is from Taito/Squeenix... but timed levels...

I think if you like this you’ll like Arkanoid vs Space Invaders. The overall setup is very similar. Just different gameplay mechanics obviously and the timed part.

Just as polished and similar design with the power ups purchasable with coins at the start of each level, etc.

Matt Frost

Kalimba level design is legendary. Stuff of legends. Like really good, inventive, well made and solid. The totems are varied and can perform an array of tricks that you will need to master in order to survive.

Controlling two totems at once while maneuvering the levels is a blast. Finished casually... one gold totem, a few carved and most logs lol. I dont have the patience to finish all levels without dying, thats beyond my skill level... but casually i enjoyed it a lot. Boss fights are even better than the rest of the game. The narrator is funny. Incredible level design and polish. Great art style. Brilliant ideas throughout the whole game. Level design is legendary.

The bad thing is touch controls for a precision twitchy platformer like this, while the areas to tap are responsive i misstapped a few times and ended up dying more times that i wanted to.

Overall, level design is one of the best i seen and makes this a must play for platformer fans out there. Brilliant stuff all over the place. On PS4 this must be awesome playing it with a friend.

I think if you like this you’ll like Arkanoid vs Space Invaders. The overall setup is very similar. Just different gameplay mechanics obviously and the timed part.

Just as polished and similar design with the power ups purchasable with coins at the start of each level, etc.

EDIT: Finished and offloaded Kalimba, offloaded BLUK so i cleaned up space for the space invasion. Bought!

Yeah is on my wishlist... but i need to make room for it... my rule... only 9 games installed at once (except endless runners that are in a folder and no more than 9 as well...)... maybe i will replace Steredenn with AvSI since its too hard for me and since Pigeon Wings is more fun... and Steredenn also replaces something on that endless folder...

awp69

Looks like Atypical Games just released a follow-up to Radiaton Island called Radiation City.

I liked the first one but started to get bored and never finished it. Still not too big into survival games. Not sure about this one. It is premium though at $4.99.

baconcow

Any guesses on what price they'll launch Darkest Dungeons as? I was hoping no more than $10 USD, but the PC version is $25, so it might be $15 or more.

Also, just picked up Death Road to Canada, which should be getting a new update today (Aug. 24).

Any guesses on what price they'll launch Darkest Dungeons as? I was hoping no more than $10 USD, but the PC version is $25, so it might be $15 or more.

Also, just picked up Death Road to Canada, which should be getting a new update today (Aug. 24).
It'll be $9.99

Nice. I'll have enough on the iTunes card I picked up for it and DRTC. Did they announce it?

I hope it has MFI support, but it isn't critical.
The game's already on PS4, so I imagine it might have controller support, but considering the PC controls, the game felt like it was made for touch controls, Had a very touch/drag-heavy Ui and controls even on PC

baconcow

The game's already on PS4, so I imagine it might have controller support, but considering the PC controls, the game felt like it was made for touch controls, Had a very touch/drag-heavy Ui and controls even on PC

I have 63 hours played on the PC version, but all with the Steam controller. I was used to holding a controller, while playing. Don't have it on PS4, so I have no idea how it feels with a normal controller. Will probably be easy to play with the Apple Pencil, perhaps even over a controller.

awp69

I have 63 hours played on the PC version, but all with the Steam controller. I was used to holding a controller, while playing. Don't have it on PS4, so I have no idea how it feels with a normal controller. Will probably be easy to play with the Apple Pencil, perhaps even over a controller.

I’ve played it on PS4 for a while now and it controls perfectly fine with a controller. Don’t have a comparison to a mouse/keyboard or touch but it’s enjoyable with a normal controller.

Game’s great no matter the method of control :)

PittaGAF

Woke up and no Darkest Dungeon raving impressions onslaught.

Actually, no Darkest Dungeon at all.

Disappointed.

Matt Frost

Arkanoid vs Space Invaders is pretty good. The mix works well and is surprisingly fun. Lots of characters with special powers to unlock, two control options, GameCenter, lots of levels, hectic gameplay, boss fights... another Taito win. This one and Puzzle Bobble Journey will stay for a loooooooooong time

awp69

The Talos Principle is coming to iOS.

Awesome game. Have it on my Shield tablet and TV. Actually prefer it over The Witness by far — just prefer the type of puzzles involved as well as the narrative.

Touch controls work just fine, similar to other first person games. Still like using a controller though. Hopefully the iOS version will have Mfi support.

PittaGAF

Great news about the Talos principle.

The wait for Darkest Dungeon is getting annoying.
I had 2 free hours (now over) and I planned to sink in it....and moved chores for later....
Pretty sure the game will be out when I'll have no time to play it today.

awp69

Was playing Darkest Dungeon on PS4 last night again and started to think that I bet it will play better with a touch screen over controller. There are a lot of context sensitive menus and things that can be a bit of a pain using the buttons on the controller. Clicking on them will probably streamline that quite a bit.

My only wish is that it was coming to iPhone and not just iPad. Realize it’d Be crowded but still think it would be doable since it doesn’t require precision movement and the like (Titan Quest, for instance, isn’t so hot IMO on an iPhone screen).

Top Bottom