• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Added a couple minor details about the variants of the system to the OP. Nothing earth shattering or even very interesting, but... yeah.

dokish

Banned
Awesome thread. Subscribed.

I posted this in a pickups thread awhile ago, but here it is again. My little bundle of portable joy:

DSC06520.jpg

Would you mind taking a picture of what it looks like? Playing a game on it, I mean.

Resident Evil/Final Fantasy, preferably

Yjynx

wish I could go back to my parent house to post my collection. Seeing this thread remind me so many games that I want to play back then.

Paskil

I grew up a Nintendo kid. Our first home console was an NES that we got when I was four years old for Easter in 1986 (who gets big gifts for Easter, seriously?). From there my brother and I threw in half-and-half and bought a SNES and N64 at launch with scrimped and saved allowance. When I turned 16 and got my drivers license, I had already been working for two year and bought a used Playstation from Funcoland.

Now I have, and always will love Nintendo. I had an Advance, DS, and now a 3ds and Wii. My finest gaming days officially started with PSX. Dear god, it almost brings tears to my eyes when I remember my first playthrough on games like XCOM, Castlevania SOTN, Crash etc. I played Final Fantasy here when it was still 2 on SNES (lolwut 4/6?). Those still are two amazing games. My favorite in the series? FFIX.

Paskil

Oh, one other funny memory for me. I remember having a friend that had a super expensive computer at the time. He bragged it had a 56k modem, one of those kids. He had Grand Theft Auto and after he showed it to me, I became obnoxious and only wanted to play that game. It was fucking incredible. We had an old computer at our house and I tried to delete everything on there to have enough space for the game. When that came out on PS1, it absolutely blew my mind and is one of the major reasons I love the console (GTA2 was even better, imo).

To this day, playing original GTA is why I'm so forgiving of any criticisms I might have of the more current iterations.

Here's my collection.

Legend of Mana, Mega Man Legends 1, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment are still sealed.

I want to marry you, be named as the primary beneficiary in your will, and then have you befall tragic circumstances so that collection is mine.

Clockwork

Added a couple minor details about the variants of the system to the OP. Nothing earth shattering or even very interesting, but... yeah.

If you're going to post something at least make it accurate.

Net Yaroze was not Japan only. Sony sent me the packet (folder with brochures, info on the system, the middleware/dev software, etc) for it back in the day. I just never had the cash to get one.

I would like to start a physical collection one of these days but considering where I live that may be a little difficult so I'll ask for some games to acquire instead.

The problem is I don't really like JRPGs on a console famous for them. I like FFIX and I can tolerate FFVII but I haven't really tried any others given my inherent dislike for the genre. Also I know Crash, Spyro, etc is great (Crash was my childhood really)

Teknoman

I would like to start a physical collection one of these days but considering where I live that may be a little difficult so I'll ask for some games to acquire instead.

The problem is I don't really like JRPGs on a console famous for them. I like FFIX and I can tolerate FFVII but I haven't really tried any others given my inherent dislike for the genre. Also I know Crash, Spyro, etc is great (Crash was my childhood really)

Not to point out your avatar, but if you like Pokemon, i'm sure some of the more non-mainstream JRPGs on the system would appeal to you. Stuff like Jade Cocoon.

Give Legend of Legaia a shot for a different battle system than what you'd normally expect.

John Blade

Would you mind taking a picture of what it looks like? Playing a game on it, I mean.

Resident Evil/Final Fantasy, preferably

Not really playing a Ps1 game but this kinda a rough idea of how it look like if you're playing a gamecube game.

I recently got a PS3 (I was PC only for many years) and I'm so happy to learn I can play my PS1 games on it. I thought there was zero BC for my model. Very nice to know.

rrs

I recently got a PS3 (I was PC only for many years) and I'm so happy to learn I can play my PS1 games on it. I thought there was zero BC for my model. Very nice to know.
All PS3s can emulate the PS1 in software, early PS3 models used the EE for PS1/2 emulation.

BOMGoKkl.jpg

Here is my ps1 physical collection. It's only missing my copy of FF9, castlevania: SOTN, and FFT. It's not perfect: Suikoden 2 has a reproduction back (Manual is original), tactics ogre is in a single case (and I think it originally came in a dual disc sized case), and tales of destiny is missing its instruction manual. But at least I still have my Lucia pendant!

Wait, wait, I went scrounging around for games and I found:

- PSone
- Crash 1
- Crash 2
- Crash 3
- Gran Turismo 2 (both discs)

Everything scratched beyond belief but working perfectly well. Now we're getting somewhere.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Does anyone still have a Gen1 NTSC PSX, might've been Japan only, but at the back it had the Multi Out, A/V out and S-Video out. I have the early PAL PSX but that had S-Video removed when it was launched due to Scart being more popular.

ghibli99

I very much enjoyed Shorty's song from BAM2. But not much beyond that. Losing Avex Trax meant insta-death. :(

Is it weird that I knew what this was before I clicked on it?

No... It's not weird at all.
Same here... same here. So good, and such a shame it had to suffer from the video compression technology of the time. My favorite RR game ever.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does anyone still have a Gen1 NTSC PSX, might've been Japan only, but at the back it had the Multi Out, A/V out and S-Video out. I have the early PAL PSX but that had S-Video removed when it was launched due to Scart being more popular.

Yeah I'm pretty sure no western version of PS ever had that physical s-video output. Japan-only. American launch version did have the A/V output (and normal multi out) though. I have that version.

There was the audiophile rumor that a launch PS1 with the A/V output made for one of the best CD players.... but I think that's one person's uninformed opinion which was then posted around the net as fact. I don't believe it at all. Audiophile circles are prone to superstition.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah I'm pretty sure no western version of PS ever had that physical s-video output. Japan-only. American launch version did have the A/V output (and normal multi out) though. I have that version.

There was the audiophile rumor that a launch PS1 with the A/V output made for one of the best CD players.... but I think that's one person's uninformed opinion which was then posted around the net as fact. I don't believe it at all. Audiophile circles are prone to superstition.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play/

;)

Sorral

I still remember the day my late dad took me to get a PS1 after getting the first place on my class that year again. Or when he brought home Crash 1.
Man, that was so long ago...and this actually made me cry. lol

The Hog Wild level in Crash 1 was always too hilarious to play and Crash's face at the beginning.

6fRIkA6bVn1as8KbWQp5kPOjXsS86.jpg

I know for this was available in the USA too. Fun fact, the original Model SCPH-1001 with RCA outputs are celebrated as having the best audio; you'll see threads on audiophile forums with people recommending them as a cheap high-quality CD player.

Talking about good games, Gran Turismo 2.

dxR5RGJ.png

• A soundtrack that sticks in your head.
  • Has cars from one of the best eras in automotive history.
  • Tracks fans have been begging to put in later games.
  • So many cars to collect and race with.
  • Cheap to get today.
  • Gameplay held up to the test of time.
  • More Nissan Skyline variants than the mind can handle

Holy shit. That start menu alone was enough to trigger an explosion of nostalgia. Godly game.

JazzmanZ

OP how could you not mention a single Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the dragon? those were defining games dangit!

As for me, I grew up with a playstation, playing classic games like tomba and ape escape. Good times...

Skunkers

Same here... same here. So good, and such a shame it had to suffer from the video compression technology of the time. My favorite RR game ever.

Agreed. I have zero idea why R4 was not the template for the following RR games. Especially since anecdotally it seems to have been the best received and I think most financially successful.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know for this was available in the USA too. Fun fact, the original Model SCPH-1001 with RCA outputs are celebrated as having the best audio; you'll see threads on audiophile forums with people recommending them as a cheap high-quality CD player.

Not the S-video output though. That was Japan only.

onQ123

Did Sony ever put this to any good use?

parallel.jpg

Sidenote: There really should be a thread about Consoles & their expansion ports was The Gamecube the last console to have expansion ports? (besides USB ports & Harddrive slots)

gamecube_ports.jpg

hipgnosis

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I never really liked the Ps1 but I could use some new games for my Vita (and maybe cheaper cards, damn Sony).

Also, I was searching info about Tron Bonne.. I have a PAL copy, bought from a pawn shop for 5€, maybe without booklet.. But I can't find a price :(

And I didn't even like the game :(

The PAL version of Tron Bonne goes usually for about 50-60£. The prices have been rising lately though. There's only one at eBay at the moment with a BIN of 100£.

IrishNinja

aw yiss, sexy OP (love his avatar too), sub'd! i fortunately have most of the ones from there that i want, still after regaining Suikoden 1 & 2 one day.

Lammy's so overdue for a comeback, too. oh yeah, we never got Vib Ribbon, what the hell Tretton!

Tobal 2 looked so damned good.

it so did, expanding on the RPG stuff from 1 sounded amazing, much less the # of characters.

was MMX 5 still good? i can't recall which one was where the series went south.

Psxphile

I do wonder, what PS1 3D game holds up until now? Almost all the ones I've seen look like shit, especially FFVII and Jumping Flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRQycJw_do#t=03m48s

Delightfully simple platformer that looks and plays like a dream. What you can't see from the youtube video is the fact the game runs at 60fps.

I remembered another gem... The best underrated RPG for me:

legaiacover.jpg

Incredible game. Texture work wasn't amazing or anything, but the game was solid all around. Old school jRPG sensibilities at its finest. Still nothing like it anywhere (anyone who brings up Dual Saga, even in jest, will be shot). A crying shame!

If I may recommend one PS1 game, it'll be:

Vnpz635.jpg

Game OP

Basic Gameplay

Nibelung Valesti - Just one of the game's many character-specific attacks.

Write-up on GameSpite - says it better than I ever could.
EDIT: what the... 403? Try copy and paste into address bar, seems to disallow direct-linking to the article.

Beautiful spritework:
tumblr_mbcq0rMCvU1qbn69no1_500.png

tumblr_m76f98vTje1qeumowo1_500.gif

tUOuWrl.gif

This is me when I start craving another playthrough. Fortunately, the game is also available on PSP (and is a lot easier to find and most likely cheaper, too).

tumblr_mhgini4xFP1rxhwc6o1_400.jpg

IrishNinja

ps DidntKnowJack's collection is amazing. oh yeah, that old thread about Moon RPG looked amazing too!

oh yeah why wasnt this thread sub'd U R NOT RED E? heh

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRQycJw_do#t=03m48s

Delightfully simple platformer that looks and plays like a dream. What you can't see from the youtube video is the fact the game runs at 60fps.

Incredible game. Texture work wasn't amazing or anything, but the game was solid all around. Old school jRPG sensibilities at its finest. Still nothing like it anywhere (anyone who brings up Dual Saga, even in jest, will be shot). A crying shame!

So how did Legaia 1 compare to the sequel? I only played the second game, and while I enjoyed it at the time, I was well aware that it was intensely mediocre.

IrishNinja

Because the games on this system are some of the best out there. This was an era where Square-Enix could do (almost) no wrong. Konami was incredible. Capcom was sublime. This era was really the height of Japanese development, and was a magical time when games could actually be fun instead of attempting to be bad David Cage movies.

haha...wow, well said OP.

Regarding disc based BC on PS3, IIRC

- Chrono Cross has some freezing problems
- Disc 4 of FFVIII may or may not boot up
- FFV is straight up unplayable (It also has a garbled save menu when played on a PS2)

Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style doesn't work past the character select menu, either. i tried with 2 different copies/systems.

Teknoman

ps DidntKnowJack's collection is amazing. oh yeah, that old thread about Moon RPG looked amazing too!

oh yeah why wasnt this thread sub'd U R NOT RED E? heh

Playstation polygon head banner incoming?

Also Lezard's alchemy lab has some of the craziest Sakuraba music ever.

Top Bottom