• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.4 OTA’s Repackaged for use with ODIN
Chainfire has repackaged the full stock images for the international GSM Galaxy Nexus (yakju/maguro) for use with Odin, the flashing tool for Samsung devices.

There are two versions available. The first is a “No wipe, no recovery, no bootloader” version that leasves your recovery, bootloaders, and user data intact. This version should only be used if your device is already OEM unlocked—otherwise your data will be wiped. There is also a full stock image that will leave you with a complete stock installation of 4.0.4.

your WM5 phone would get smoked in every WP7 challenge, that's progress

and i could make challenges my WM5 phone would smoke any WP7 phone in.

it would be easy too!

Challenge 1: Stay on IRC while doing something else for 15 minutes [smoked by WM5]

Challenge 2: Wifi/BT/USB Tether your phone with a Laptop [smoked by WM5]

Challenge 3: Swap SD cards between devices [smoked by WM5]

i could go on...

Anyone else having trouble with the News and Weather app? It almost never shows my weather, for whatever reason. Just gives me an error. I've tried even setting my location manually, and it still won't work.

thespot84

Anyone else having trouble with the News and Weather app? It almost never shows my weather, for whatever reason. Just gives me an error. I've tried even setting my location manually, and it still won't work.

i've been using beautiful weather since I've got the phone (try that instead?), so I'm of no help.

mkenyon

Banned
Where is the white version? Contract is up with T-Mobile this month. If I have to wait a week, worth it. Otherwise going to just get the $80 model from Amazon.

thespot84

What are the pros and cons

Pros:
Big AMOLED screen with great blacks.
Awesome/sexy design
No waste of bezel for hardware buttons
Fits in the hand/pocket nicely (the curves on the back make it fit better than a straight edged phone, even my OG droid).
With extended battery I get most of a day (15-18 hours w/good 4g coverage)
ICS comes stock, will get upgrades before anything else
ICS is unadulterated/unskinned
4G (if we're comparing to iOS)

Cons:
Doesn't' have the fastest processor out (haven't noticed)
AMOLED screen is pentile layout (haven't noticed)
Screen has kind of a 'pattern' to it (i notice occasionally but don't care)
on 4.0.2 the sounds could be a bit louder. might be fixed with 4.0.4
a bit more expensive than most androids, though it is pretty much a flagship right now

Cudder

Fuck, got a small scratch on my screen. What are the best ways to reduce the visibility of it? I'm kind of wary about trying some of the methods I'm finding online.

Talon

Pros:
Big AMOLED screen with great blacks.
Awesome/sexy design
No waste of bezel for hardware buttons
Fits in the hand/pocket nicely (the curves on the back make it fit better than a straight edged phone, even my OG droid).
With extended battery I get most of a day (15-18 hours w/good 4g coverage)
ICS comes stock, will get upgrades before anything else
ICS is unadulterated/unskinned
4G (if we're comparing to iOS)

Cons:
Doesn't' have the fastest processor out (haven't noticed)
AMOLED screen is pentile layout (haven't noticed)
Screen has kind of a 'pattern' to it (i notice occasionally but don't care)
on 4.0.2 the sounds could be a bit louder. might be fixed with 4.0.4
a bit more expensive than most androids, though it is pretty much a flagship right now
Where's "camera quality" on this list?

thespot84

Where's "camera quality" on this list?

true, i left it out, my bad.

I don't use the camera often. When i do, it works, but the pictures aren't great, and I end up refocusing manually anyways. Personally I'm not going to use my phone camera for 'nice' photographs, just party pics and whatnot, so I don't care, but if it's something you're worried about then it might be of concern.

Talon

true, i left it out, my bad.

I don't use the camera often. When i do, it works, but the pictures aren't great, and I end up refocusing manually anyways. Personally I'm not going to use my phone camera for 'nice' photographs, just party pics and whatnot, so I don't care, but if it's something you're worried about then it might be of concern.
Well, it's just because competitive phones out there - namely the GSII and the One X - have substantially better cameras.

AGGGHHHH! Just noticed I have one dead pixels on my GN screen. Never noticed it before, so don't know if it's recent or if it's so small its escaped my notice (had the phone two months now)

Damn..... That'll annoy me now. Despite the fact I can barely see it.

Cudder

AGGGHHHH! Just noticed I have one dead pixels on my GN screen. Never noticed it before, so don't know if it's recent or if it's so small its escaped my notice (had the phone two months now)

Damn..... That'll annoy me now. Despite the fact I can barely see it.

I'll trade you my screen scratch for your dead pixel, deal?

Circle T

I think the buttons on the Galaxy Nexus are great, personally. Placement, size, clickyness. It all works perfect for me. In fact, the external features of the phone need no real change, IMO. Better screen, camera, internals, etc, but the same external design would be awesome for a new Nexus.

th3dude

So, what ROMs are you guys using? Looking to jump on one of them but hard to figure out which is best and most stable. CM9 would be a shoe-in but I'm not sure since it is just nightlies.

Circle T

So, what ROMs are you guys using? Looking to jump on one of them but hard to figure out which is best and most stable. CM9 would be a shoe-in but I'm not sure since it is just nightlies.

They seem fine to me. I installed the then current update (3-30-12) a couple weeks ago for my first install on the phone, and haven't updated since. Been rock solid for me.

thespot84

How is the audio playback on the Nexus compared to an iTouch?

After having smart phones for a while and plugging them into large stereos (car, home etc) the sound quality, plus google music's EQ on the tuna is BOSS. I am thoroughly impressed with it every time i use it.

rozay

Banned
It's got a good DAC from what I've heard and there are some pretty good audio players on android like PowerAMP that have fully featured equalizers. Supercurio was interested in working on Voodoo sound for the phone but I'm not sure where that went.

The Nexus is actually regarded by people who care as being within striking distance of the Galaxy S and it's legendary Wolfson DAC. (This means it's good, LOL.)

It beats the ever-loving shit out of my old Droid X, though Motorola phones have never been known for their audio quality.

Menelaus

Banned
#3 thing i hate is phones with a power button on the top.

tracy-morgan-hell-no-o.gif

I would always hit the volume rocker while squeezing the phone to press the power button.

Cudder

Fuck, got a small scratch on my screen. What are the best ways to reduce the visibility of it? I'm kind of wary about trying some of the methods I'm finding online.

So no one's got any tips/how to's/website guides for screen scratches? I'm worried I'll make it worse, but having it there bugs the shit out of me.

Also, for what it's worth, I would not recommend the Seidio Surface case for the Galaxy Nexus.

gcubed

So no one's got any tips/how to's/website guides for screen scratches? I'm worried I'll make it worse, but having it there bugs the shit out of me.

Also, for what it's worth, I would not recommend the Seidio Surface case for the Galaxy Nexus.

i've never done it, but i've heard about using toothpaste.

Mrcapcom

Anyone got one of those 3800-4000 mah battery for the GNexus?
I'm kinda ok with the hump seeing how I had a thunderbolt with extended battery, but wanted to know if anyone else got it and what they think as far as how long it lasts and if its worth it

Top Bottom