• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

Haunted

And lead combat designer Jason McDonald insisted that single-player has not suffered as a result of the addition of multiplayer. "We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," he said. "We're definitely going full force with both."
This doesn't fill me with confidence. :/

No such thing as 200%.

The art doesn't look Greek

I think they were saying something in one of the interviews about the multiplayer being mythological but not necessarily tied down to Greek mythology

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know what, I'm feeling good about this. GOW needs a shakeup and this looks like its it.

Looks real nice.

Orobi

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping especially considering they've revamped the climbing system

Of course the map they showed didn't really have anything like that, just a tied down titan

Would love to chase down a giant cyclops on horseback with the GOW combat in place though

Don't forget Titans! ;)

WinFonda

Wow, this thread is like a mirror image of the Uncharted 2 having multiplayer announcement. Don't be on the wrong side of history my friends, give it a chance.

EGM1966

TBH I think a more melee based MP could be a lot of fun if handled correctly.

Assuming the engine can handle it I'd love both competative and coop - for example imagine a coop where you and three other allies have to team up to take down a huge colossus? A survival mode would also be great where you fight swarms of AI foes in a team.

Regular DM would work too so long as it was balanced. I'd love to play "Capture the Flag" GoW style too - Capture the Head anyone?

Anyway, I won't dismiss the MP until I see it. I think the franchise could support it well.

The game will have atleast 7 maps.

7 maps didn't sound a lot, but I understand it might take longer to make because each of those maps may have setpieces like the cyclops titan we saw. I'll at least play each of those maps at least once to see the setpieces. don't know if it'll hold for long play though. it'll be much more interesting if every maps have boss battle with varying difficulty, at least that will give me incentive to play the mp multiple times to level up my character and beat the mp. or if the mp have a little bit of story

jett

D-Member
The yellow-brownish color palette reminds me of that leaked off-screen GOW picture from the Tester or some other video. Does anyone still have that? :p

edit: nm, it doesn't really look like these MP pics

GOW4Piki_thumb2.jpg

Haunted

Wow, this thread is like a mirror image of the Uncharted 2 having multiplayer announcement. Don't be on the wrong side of history my friends, give it a chance.
To be fair, I've seen too many games fail due to a tacked on mode they didn't really need to just keep quiet about it.

Uncharted 2 managed to pull it off and had a great campaign, but there's a reason it's lauded as the exception and not the rule. That they're saying in the initial announcement that the campaign will be shorter than in previous games shows that they're aware and are trying to preemptively manage expectations.

Loudninja

New single player stuff
But the game has single-player, too, this time with a "revamped" combat and weapon system, "promptless" mini-games and new puzzles. Sony mentioned "fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios".

Improvements the the engine
On top of that, numerous improvements to the God of War 3 engine have been made. Later on, we visit Sony Santa Monica itself where I see some of the new processes at the point of application.

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ascension-preview-introducing-the-gods-of-war

ReaperXL7

No such thing as 200%.

well look at it this way, they have had 2 years at least to work on this, by most accounts this will release in 2013, that will be 3 years since god of war 3's release.

I personally think SSM are great developers, so I think they can do some great things with three years to make a game like this. I am wondering if they had to make a new engine to support MP though, or if they just had to tweak the exsisting GOW3 engine.

I think E3 is going to be pretty good this year.

Angry Fork

Hope this game bombs hard so it can be a lesson to stop focusing on multiplayer and wasting resources that could be used on SP.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hope this game bombs hard so it can be a lesson to stop focusing on multiplayer and wasting resources that could be used on SP.

Oh give me a break.

We've had five epic adventures with Kratos already. I'm ready for just a little something different.

To be fair, I've seen too many games fail due to a tacked on mode they didn't really need to just keep quiet about it.

Uncharted 2 managed to pull it off and had a great campaign, but there's a reason it's lauded as the exception and not the rule. That they're saying in the initial announcement that the campaign will be shorter than in previous games shows that they're aware and are trying to preemptively manage expectations.

I'm actually optimistic about U2 mp when it was first revealed, even after U1 I thought it could be great in mp, the addition of climbing and jumping looks like something that can make it great fun to play mp.

I'm not sure how GoW multiplayer will work, but after seeing the video and a couple previews, I'm pretty hyped about this.

I have no problem with this kind of multiplayer 4 vs 4 ( team based )for the right to kill a giant cyclops ?

I Love this idea ..like totally .God of war needed new blood ( literraly ) and new ideas , they are already showing that ...so far i have no problems

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You mastered the first part of your nickname... now its a time for a new challenge:
fork.jpg

Angry Fork

Oh give me a break.

We've had five epic adventures with Kratos already. I'm ready for just a little something different.

I'm okay with different if it's different singleplayer. MP is completely unnecessary in these singleplayer games and everyone will play it for 2 weeks and then it'll die like every other tacked on multiplayer game in existence. Complete waste of resources.

I'm okay with different if it's different singleplayer. MP is completely unnecessary in these singleplayer games and everyone will play it for 2 weeks and then it'll die like every other tacked on multiplayer game in existence. Complete waste of resources.

Cause multiplayer can't be created without being tacked on right? MP done right is just as big a benefit to ANY game as a well crafted singleplayer campaign. Just cause you don't like multiplayer doesn't mean you are the only target audience in the world.

Remember when call of duty games were singleplayer only and then they added some in depth multiplayer? What a waste of resources for that company.

jett

D-Member

From the PR:

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ascension is an epic adventure that allows players to take on the climactic role of the ex-Spartan warrior Kratos as he finds a way to break the blood oath that binds him to the god, Ares. Six months after being tricked into killing his wife and child, a younger Kratos is sentenced to a life of madness with the Furies, caged in a titan sized prison for the living damned. Fighting insanity, his will is tested to the limit as he seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest for redemption.

I feel indifferent to this.

KingK

No such thing as 200%.

Eh, I'm going to choose to be optimistic at this point. I was skeptical, but those gifs look really awesome. Also, I doubted ND before Uncharted 2 and it ended up having one of my favorite single players of all time as well as my favorite multiplayer this gen.

People wanted new gameplay ideas to keep God of War from getting stale, myself included, so I'll wait to see how it plays out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ascension-preview-introducing-the-gods-of-war

"We always strive to [top ourselves]," says Papy, bullishly adding: "Personally I think what we've got in the opening 20 minutes of this game will blow people away."

It's all in the small details. Improved animation and a new collision system mean characters' bare feet now realistically adapt to uneven terrain; meanwhile, the climbing system has been rewritten to make point-to-point movement feel less like you're following a fixed path.

Over in the art department, meanwhile, shelves are lined with books on "Extreme Nature" and Michelangelo, while unsettlingly large anatomical models of the human body stand stiffly atop desks. To make a virtue of the desecration of flesh, one must first know it intimately.

Arxisz

Looks fantastic so far. stop complaining, we haven't seen enough yet.

Edit: Lol in the stream they talking about the neogaf reaction.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
NeoGAF shotout on the Playstation Blog stream

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hah, the PS Blog livestream already mentioned the game director watching the NeoGAF threads. That's awesome.

Angry Fork

Cause multiplayer can't be created without being tacked on right? MP done right is just as big a benefit to ANY game as a well crafted singleplayer campaign. Just cause you don't like multiplayer doesn't mean you are the only target audience in the world.

Remember when call of duty games were singleplayer only and then they added some in depth multiplayer? What a waste of resources for that company.

I still have a right to bitch about it though. Different demographics will be annoyed if you go separate routes which is obvious. I'm in the demographic that doesn't want resources wasted that could've been used to polish and add levels to singleplayer. I don't care about multiplayer in SP games and don't want it.

AAK

GAF before reveal

"Ugh, a new God of War! It's probably just gonna be the old Kratos raging and destroying stuff, I'm tired of that. Let's hope they can do something new. No buy."

GAF after reveal

"Ugh, nobody asked for something new! They should've gone the familiar route with Kratos raging and smashing stuff. Why the hell are they doing something new? No buy."

This right here. I'm glad they're trying something new.

Top Bottom