• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

OnPoint

=================
April 2016 Nominations
=================

1. Ninja Gaiden II - Barrel Cannon
  2. Abadox - OnPoint
  3. ???
  4. ???
  5. ???
=================
April 2016 Nominations
=================

bearbytes

Usually the games he rips on kind of deserve it though. Even the games I like that he did have some big flaws. Like the Ninja Gaiden weirdness about losing to the last boss and starting back on 6-1. That video was cathartic. There's been games that people want him to review such as Monster Party and he can't do it because he enjoys them too much. It's usually based in some truth.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm not trying to say there isn't truth to the videos, or that the games aren't flawed. I'm just saying a game shouldn't necessarily get written off because AVGN ripped on it. Some of them are at least worth a shot, and many of them I still enjoy in spite of their flaws.

I love that nobody here wants to play it lol who voted for it

Don't blame me, I'm the one guy who voted for Laser Invasion!

empo

Voted for Flintstones but will definitely give Metal Gear a shot. I should try to beat Double Dragon without save states too... Damn you Machine Gun Guy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I voted for Metal Gear because i needed a reason to really sit down and beat it lol. Sucks to see the lack of enthusiasm for it here though.

As for a game to play, might be time to nominate Life Force again!

I voted for Metal Gear because i needed a reason to really sit down and beat it lol. Sucks to see the lack of enthusiasm for it here though.

As for a game to play, might be time to nominate Life Force again!

i love metal gear as well, now that i have a nes, i'll join you all and play. i could never beat the computer room when i was a kid...

Morfeo

Played some more Double Dragon, but once again only came to the third level. Any obvious tips i should know about?

Lothar

Banned
Played some more Double Dragon, but once again only came to the third level. Any obvious tips i should know about?

From someone who can beat the 3rd level but can't beat the 4th: When you knock Abobo down, get right on top of him as he's getting up. He can't hit you if you're in the same spot as him but you can hit him. The difficult part is that there's two of them at the same time. You just have to try to keep them apart with jump kicks. For all other guys, especially the ones with the purple hair and pants, do the move where you pull their hair and throw them. You get that at 4 stars. You do it automatically just by kicking them from a certain distance away.

I still say Stage 4 is harder than Battletoads. So look forward to that.

Morfeo

From someone who can beat the 3rd level but can't beat the 4th: When you knock Abobo down, get right on top of him as he's getting up. He can't hit you if you're in the same spot as him but you can hit him. The difficult part is that there's two of them at the same time. You just have to try to keep them apart with jump kicks. For all other guys, especially the ones with the purple hair and pants, do the move where you pull their hair and throw them. You get that at 4 stars. You do it automatically just by kicking them from a certain distance away.

Thanks, i already use the hair-move whenever i can. Will definitely try to use the trick you mentioned for Abobo, i tried to beat them in a pretty different manner, which i guess didnt work so well. Got to the second round of fighting them.

Also, harder than Battletoads? I almost cant believe that, but looking forward to it!

Timu

Only the random pillars and Willy are hard, the rest isn't that bad though Jimmy takes a lot of hits. With Jimmy you don't ever want to stop hitting him because it is insane how much health he has, it would take over 40 seconds to beat him with just kicks alone.

Also, just use diagonal kicks against the Abobos, that's what I do and is able to kill them faster than jump kicks and you'll have more health left that way, that's what I always did. Jump kicks are worthless against them because you're on a timer.

When I beat the game I almost ran out of time, lol.

AmyS

Konami's LaserScope and Laser Invasion.

jsWx7NG.jpg
p9gzz1A.jpg

9uFlLHS.jpg

u1TgxcQ.jpg

cBjcv7r.jpg

A demonstration of the Konami “LaserScope” headset, designed for use with Nintendo games - CES Chicago 1990

tornjaw

Has anyone played the Japanese version of Demon Sword?

Demon Sword is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it non-stop as a child, not that I had much choice. I didn't own very many games, but never the less, I played it a ton.

It wasn't until years later that I discovered that the Japanese version is different. So I immediately bought it but it wasn't until I bought a Retron that I was able to play it.

This Wiki explains the regional differences. Aside from the additional bosses and stages the biggest difference is the difficulty. In the NTSC version you can be hit 2-3 times per life box, but in the Japanese version each hit equals on entire box.

You have to be very careful until you get a couple of black orbs (to extend life) and then the red (but portrayed as yellow?) orbs to refill your health. I never beat it, but I'd love to find the time to go back to it.

Demonswordground.png

Ryck

Sup guys, ive had a YouTube channel for sometime, but going into this year I wanted to start putting a bit more effort in making regular videos and doing stuff that's important to me. I started a couple Podcasts and started making regular gameplay videos and also some retro play through type ones with live commentary. I didn't want to spam my channel on here but I felt this video was somewhat relevant since this is an NES discussion. I had mostly been doing Destiny related videos but in an effort to kick my addiction to that game I started making "Destiny Rehab" videos about other games. I had Mega Man Legacy collection sitting around and I hadn't given it a proper play so I decided to make some Mega Man videos. I started with Megaman 2 and then did 1 and 3. This is the one for Mega Man 3. I'd love to have some feedback and discussion if possible. I am thinking about buying a capture device to do more retro type play through as I've really enjoyed making these. Thanks in advance for your attention.

https://youtu.be/DIYiIiC2bzo

Demon Sword is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it non-stop as a child, not that I had much choice. I didn't own very many games, but never the less, I played it a ton.

It wasn't until years later that I discovered that the Japanese version is different. So I immediately bought it but it wasn't until I bought a Retron that I was able to play it.

This Wiki explains the regional differences. Aside from the additional bosses and stages the biggest difference is the difficulty. In the NTSC version you can be hit 2-3 times per life box, but in the Japanese version each hit equals on entire box.

You have to be very careful until you get a couple of black orbs (to extend life) and then the red (but portrayed as yellow?) orbs to refill your health. I never beat it, but I'd love to find the time to go back to it.

Demonswordground.png

Yep, I own it. It's quite unique, but this post here nails it.

bearbytes

Konami's LaserScope and Laser Invasion.

That's awesome. I nominated Laser Invasion for this month, but it seems I was the only one into it.

I don't have the Laser Scope though. I play the game with a combination of the standard NES controller in port 1 (flight sections, and maze section navigation) and the zapper in port 2 (shooter sections and maze encounters)

It's a really cool game imo. I like the multi-genre aspect, and any time I can use my zapper is a plus.

Morfeo

Demonswordground.png

Is it worth getting it if im a more casual fan of Demon Sword?

tornjaw

Is it worth getting it if im a more casual fan of Demon Sword?

'Eh. A toss up. Like I said, initially it's hard as hell unless you get lucky with health orbs. But the new bosses and the extended game was pretty great.

And it looks like you can get it shipped for under 20USD from eBay.

empo

Another question, probably for D.Lo or somebody with his knowledge, any way to delete the save files on FDS-games, in this case, Doki Doki Panic?

No without a delete option ingame you'd have to rewrite the disk or.. I've read something about ejecting the disk while it's saving to possibly corrupt the data but that sounds kinda sketchy.

Teknoman

Sup guys, ive had a YouTube channel for sometime, but going into this year I wanted to start putting a bit more effort in making regular videos and doing stuff that's important to me. I started a couple Podcasts and started making regular gameplay videos and also some retro play through type ones with live commentary. I didn't want to spam my channel on here but I felt this video was somewhat relevant since this is an NES discussion. I had mostly been doing Destiny related videos but in an effort to kick my addiction to that game I started making "Destiny Rehab" videos about other games. I had Mega Man Legacy collection sitting around and I hadn't given it a proper play so I decided to make some Mega Man videos. I started with Megaman 2 and then did 1 and 3. This is the one for Mega Man 3. I'd love to have some feedback and discussion if possible. I am thinking about buying a capture device to do more retro type play through as I've really enjoyed making these. Thanks in advance for your attention.

https://youtu.be/DIYiIiC2bzo

I gotta update the retro gaf media list in that case.

D.Lo

Yeah why not I guess :)

Another question, probably for D.Lo or somebody with his knowledge, any way to delete the save files on FDS-games, in this case, Doki Doki Panic?
There is, but you need to re-write the entire side of the disk using a full write-enabled FDS and an interface, FDStick is useful for this.

Most games have a manual delete option however, DDP is a rare example that does not.

Renekton

AFAIK the Japanese version has no life box, each hit is instant-death. However, each enemy has a chance to drop protection charm so if you farm anywhere for a few minutes you get enough charms to breeze through the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51kQTnp8to

Morfeo

There is, but you need to re-write the entire side of the disk using a full write-enabled FDS and an interface, FDStick is useful for this.

Most games have a manual delete option however, DDP is a rare example that does not.

This sucks, guess I just need to manually keep track of which stages Ive beaten with each character then. Thanks!

OnPoint

Taking this post so I can get the club post on the top of the next page. Was kind of hoping we'd get there naturally but meh. lol

Top Bottom