• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

bombshell

Link to report: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q4_sonypre.pdf

(Fiscal year ended March 31, 2017)

GRI6ljo.jpg

2.9m PS4s sold last quarter (up from 2.3m in FY15 Q4).

Total PS4 hardware shipments:

End of FY2015: 40.0 million.
FY2016 shipments: 20.0 million.
= 60.0 million (as of end of March 2017)

Forecast for FY2017: 18.0 million = 78 million LTD by end of March 2018.

orochi91

They actually managed to hit that 60 million mark by FY2016.

We're looking at 78 million ps4 shipped for FY2017, at minimum.

Striek

Pretty much in-line with their expectations at the start of the year in all categories.

PS4 has been ridiculously profitable for Sony so far.

Vena

$199 would be kosher.

They'd be insane not to hit that price going into this holiday season; Scorpio and NSW gonna be gunning for them.

Not sure. They expect lower shipments and increased profits. Not sure that lines up with price drops on the Slim. Maybe the Pro.

Xando

At my back yard.
So they expect less PS4 unit ship but more overall income, no aggressive price cut or major games release?

They got marketing and possible bundles for Destiny 2, COD and Battlefront. RDR2 possibly hitting this FY. Price is probably gonna get cut at some point and they have GT releasing which is huge in europe. Maybe Spidey aswell?

sense

Bundling games like rdr2, destiny 2, Star Wars battlefront 2 and cod ww2 will roll in the dough for them so no price cut will be needed unless Scorpio is aggresively priced at 399

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i refuse to believe they are gonna be close to PS3's total after like 7 or 8 years by the end of next year. Its not happening.

orochi91

Not sure. They expect lower shipments and increased profits. Not sure that lines up with price drops on the Slim. Maybe the Pro.
Pergaps they'll hold off on a price cut this year due to the bundles/marketing planned with 3rd-party partners; squeeze as much profit out of the current price point.

That can probably keep them afloat this year, and allow them to save the $199 deals for holiday 2018.

Elios83

199$ holiday season bundles are a given.
249$ official RRP and 50$ off during BF and December.
Coupled with their biggest year ever for software releases on PS4.
It will be a great year for PS4, even during the usual dead summer period they're going to release big exclusives.

sense

Probably going to hold off on a price cut this year due to the bundles/marketing planned with 3rd-party partners; squeeze as much profit out of the current price point.

That can probably keep them afloat this year, and allow them to save the $199 deals for holiday 2018.
They will do 199 runs for Black Friday and Christmas week imo

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
orochi91 said:
They already had 199 deals in 2016(outside of US, where according to Gaf there's no need to compete anyway), it'd be pretty strange to NOT have them this year.

Striek

Sony may be projecting slightly fewer consoles sold, but its interesting to note they also project higher sales overall. In fact, their current forecast would give them the highest gaming related revenue of all time, beating Nintendo at the height of DS/Wii mania (FY09) by about 50B yen.

bombshell

I'm saying i refuse to believe that that is going to happen.

They've hit or exceeded all their forecasts for PS4 so far. What makes you think that will suddenly stop? As pointed out by others already, the 4 blockbuster marketing deals they have for this holiday season will help the PS4 a LOT with attractive bundle opportunities.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why though? I believe it's still selling above the PS2 launch aligned.

Inconceivable. Its barely been 3 years and a few months. To get close to PS3 in this short a time period...ridiculous.

Mooreberg

They already bundled at $249.99 with Uncharted 4 last year. With most of the suggestions in here being games that are a September release or later, how would they justify more than $199.99 for a PS4 with no game? Or is it generally expected that third party game bundles will be more expensive than a first party game bundle? It would have either be a custom paint job unit or 1TB HDD to justify going over $259.99, relative to what was made available last year.

On a shorter note - 60M at this point is impressive

orochi91

They already had 199 deals in 2016(outside of US, where according to Gaf there's no need to compete anyway), it'd be pretty strange to NOT have them this year.
UK and Germany had great deals last holiday season, if I recall correctly.

I'm more focused on the US market since that's where all three console makers have a shot at winning holiday NPDs this year.

i refuse to believe they are gonna be close to PS3's total after like 7 or 8 years by the end of next year. Its not happening.

lol it's happening, no reason for it not to happen.

ps3 took that long to sell cause sony made every mistake in the book, while Microsoft made all the right moves.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's PS3's LTD?

Top Bottom