• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i'm going to try and exchange my 6p for a pixel xl cos of the battery issues. I wonder if you can exchange up from 32gb to 128gb? (If I even can exchange)

otherwise I guess I'll be looking at other mid-tier phones... hopefully with expandable memoy and that i don't have to root to get rid of the shit-tier apps they come with.

My new USB-C battery I think is rekt :T need to do some more testing, I think the USB port on it is dead. Hopefully I can warrenty or i'm going to be pissed.

i'm going to try and exchange my 6p for a pixel xl cos of the battery issues. I wonder if you can exchange up from 32gb to 128gb? (If I even can exchange)

otherwise I guess I'll be looking at other mid-tier phones... hopefully with expandable memoy and that i don't have to root to get rid of the shit-tier apps they come with.

My new USB-C battery I think is rekt :T need to do some more testing, I think the USB port on it is dead. Hopefully I can warrenty or i'm going to be pissed.

If you do end up looking elsewhere see if Xiaomi suit. Super cheap and wide range which should cover you. (also Xiaomi battery packs are super awesome).

remz

I tried this but Googy sent me to Huawei because I got mine through Optus. Haven't tried Huawei yet but don't like my odds. If you got it straight from Goog sempai just say you've factory reset it and it didn't help and I bet they'll give you an XL.

I'm outta contract so I got a htc u11 which will hopefully arrive on Monday

You can get the 64GB (largest variant) for under $850 and stick a 200gb micro SD in it for under $130.
My bad, I didn't realise 64GB was the max size for the S8.

The S8 64GB RRP is $1,199.00:
https://shop.samsung.com/au/mobile/galaxy-s8

The iPhone X 64GB RRP is $1,579.00:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/apple-iphone-x-australian-price-release-date/

In terms of a head to head comparison between the two, I found one by pcmag:
http://au.pcmag.com/news/49674/iphone-x-vs-galaxy-s8-powerhouse-smartphones-face-off

The biggest differences seem to be the iPhone X's way faster processor (4061/9959 single core/multicore scores on Geekbench vs 1836/5960 for the S8) and FaceID stuff, and maybe the better camera on the iPhone X (dual 12 megapixel sensors on the X vs a single 12 megapixel sensor on the S8). And obviously they run very different phone OS's. Whether those things are worth $380...

Rizzi

My hot take from phones.
It's just a fucking phone. Sure, they're shiny and new but they're also just a fucking phone.

My hot take from phones.
It's just a fucking phone. Sure, they're shiny and new but they're also just a fucking phone.
Yeah I agree, I've never really understood why people are so keen for the latest and greatest. I have a work supplied iPhone 6 Plus that is 3 years old now, and I honestly see no reason to upgrade.

What are considered the apps that actually tax the hardware on a smartphone? I don't play games on mine but I'm going to assume that's one area.

hirokazu

Yeah I agree, I've never really understood why people are so keen for the latest and greatest. I have a work supplied iPhone 6 Plus that is 3 years old now, and I honestly see no reason to upgrade.

What are considered the apps that actually tax the hardware on a smartphone? I don't play games on mine but I'm going to assume that's one area.
The iPhone 6 Plus doesn't have enough RAM for the modern day. It's also starting to show it's age performance-wise on iOS 11.

The iPhone 6 Plus doesn't have enough RAM for the modern day. It's also starting to show it's age performance-wise on iOS 11.
That's the thing, I don't experience any real performance issues or limitations in my day-to-day phone use, which is pretty much limited to basic things (calls, text messaging, web browsing, YouTube, Facebook, uber, etc.). Everything still feels snappy.

My bad, I didn't realise 64GB was the max size for the S8.

The S8 64GB RRP is $1,199.00:
https://shop.samsung.com/au/mobile/galaxy-s8

The iPhone X 64GB RRP is $1,579.00:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/apple-iphone-x-australian-price-release-date/

In terms of a head to head comparison between the two, I found one by pcmag:
http://au.pcmag.com/news/49674/iphone-x-vs-galaxy-s8-powerhouse-smartphones-face-off

The biggest differences seem to be the iPhone X's way faster processor (4061/9959 single core/multicore scores on Geekbench vs 1836/5960 for the S8) and FaceID stuff, and maybe the better camera on the iPhone X (dual 12 megapixel sensors on the X vs a single 12 megapixel sensor on the S8). And obviously they run very different phone OS's. Whether those things are worth $380...

You can get the S8 from Kogan for $869.
$869 v $1579

If you want 256GB you need too step up to the 256GB X which is $1,829 or stick a 200GB micro SD in the S8 for ~$130. Edit: Correction, It's cheaper than that.
~$1000 v $1829

Now what are you getting for $829?
A dumb notch.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I just want something with expandable memory or more than the 32gb of nothing i currently have. It's so dodgy, I can only fit 10gb of music on here. 256gb would be dreamy.

Cerity

I've got a LG V20.

64GB base with a 200gb sd card is amazing.

Space aside I very much liked my 6P better though, picture quality on the 6P is better and construction overall feels much more solid.

Removable battery, expandable memory and wide angle camera are going to be hard to pass up whenever this dies though. Hopefully LG will still have entries in the V series then.

jambo

I looooove my Huawei Mate 9.

The battery is amazing, most days I get home and still have 60% or more. Such a huge change from my LG G4 which would often not make it through a work day.

And I stream so much music now that Optus had no quota music for $0 a month. I put a 32GB card in on top of the internal 64, so plenty of room.

Jintor

so false alarm, the 6p is okay, i spent like half an hour on the phone with a google rep who didn't do jackshit then i reset the phone and it worked so i guess i'm good until it sucks.

i am definitely getting something with expandable memory next time though. even though i want a pixel. galaxy looks p. good

Quasar

To be fair that logic can be applied to anything you purchase, to each their own.

Certainly I would not be throwing stones here given the amount of money people throw at gaming hardware :)

But 1 to 2 thousand on a phone with a probable 2 year cycle is insane to me. But then I can barely justify $500 on a phone. Though I'm not a hardcore phone user....mine gets used for little more than calls/messaging and podcast/audiobook/music playing.

For others though it seems like its their one computing and media/entertainment device.

choodi

Banned
I have a Moto Z Play which cost me around $500 and it is amazing. Battery life of 2 full days with heavy web browsing, music and other use and OS updates are fast and regular.

The OS is almost stock android and all the better for it. No bloatware or shitty skins. Snappy performance, even with the midrange chipset.

The only negative thing is that it is not able to run graphicly instense games very well. But that doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in playing on my phone anyway.

Fuck $1500 phones.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've got a LG V20.

64GB base with a 200gb sd card is amazing.

Space aside I very much liked my 6P better though, picture quality on the 6P is better and construction overall feels much more solid.

Removable battery, expandable memory and wide angle camera are going to be hard to pass up whenever this dies though. Hopefully LG will still have entries in the V series then.

V30 is announced and looks really nice. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v30-8712.php

I always wanted the V20 for the DAC since I used to ride the bus to and from work with headphones stuck in my ears. Now days since I drive, I imagine it's not that useful over bluetooth.

Rocking a HTC10 at the moment, Previous was the HTC7. No need to update my phone just yet, Rooted, Custom rom etc etc. Hopefully there's an Android 8.0 custom rom with it in the next few months.

got a LG V20 with no complaints beside the piss-poor battery life. Since it has a removable battery and I got a second battery for free when I bought it it's ok usually.

quabba

I have a Moto Z Play which cost me around $500 and it is amazing. Battery life of 2 full days with heavy web browsing, music and other use and OS updates are fast and regular.

The OS is almost stock android and all the better for it. No bloatware or shitty skins. Snappy performance, even with the midrange chipset.

The only negative thing is that it is not able to run graphicly instense games very well. But that doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in playing on my phone anyway.

Fuck $1500 phones.

I just got a Moto Play Z a week ago ($400 on Kogan) after my Nexus 5X died. I'm really happy with it, and nice to have a bit of storage with an SD card in there. Loving the battery life.

Cerity

First season was ok. Loved the attention to detail for the setting but it felt like the story was moving at a pace way beyond the characters.

V30 is announced and looks really nice. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v30-8712.php

I always wanted the V20 for the DAC since I used to ride the bus to and from work with headphones stuck in my ears. Now days since I drive, I imagine it's not that useful over bluetooth.

Yeah really mirin the graphy feature. I hope it gets ported to the v20 - it did for the g6.

Quasar

First season was ok. Loved the attention to detail for the setting but it felt like the story was moving at a pace way beyond the characters.

I did think S1 was a bit too slowly paced for me up until some point where I switched from being mildly entertained to hyped and turned me into a big fan. And S2 continued that. though apparently not enough to get me chasing the books..

Cerity

I did think S1 was a bit too slowly paced for me up until some point where I switched from being mildly entertained to hyped and turned me into a big fan. And S2 continued that. though apparently not enough to get me chasing the books..

I've tried to start S2 but ehhh, the martian chick/captain really turned me off it for whatever reason.

What's this now?

Basically you get a gallery of pictures that you can choose from to grab the ISO, WB & shutterspeed and take a photo with those settings.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-...eres-how-to-use-Graphy-to-its-fullest_id97738

Quasar

Watched episode 1 of Electric Dreams (an anthology show vaguely based on PK Dick short stories on Stan). Pretty good first episode, and which i guess sets the bar for how close it is to the source material. Of course that's normal for PK Dick in other media.

So the TGS line up for this Year looks Pretty good but i See no mention of Disaster Report among those games .....

anyone else thinking of going to OZcomic con this Year?

Soar

I'm trying to decide between waiting for Samus Returns to finish downloading or going to sleep. Sleep seems to be winning at the moment.

Also, as a "I'm sick - I want comfort food" game, Persona 4 >>>>>> Persona 3 (FeMC)>Persona 3 vanilla. Anyone who disagrees can fight me.

Agree with the comfort game choice, but sleep is always good so your body can focus on kicking those germs where it hurts a little easier.

Channel 7 bringing out a new streaming app.

https://youtu.be/I0krtfEZqgw

Bloody amusing ad at least.

That is pretty funny. Kochie 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

Murdoch lost out again with all the creditors voting for the CBS takeover. It'll probably go through the courts for a while but CBS were the largest creditor and if it comes out Murdoch and co ran 10 into the ground to pick up the pieces that won't be rewarded.

wonzo

Banned

Murdoch lost out again with all the creditors voting for the CBS takeover. It'll probably go through the courts for a while but CBS were the largest creditor and if it comes out Murdoch and co ran 10 into the ground to pick up the pieces that won't be rewarded.

a murdoch failson pissing away hundreds of millions to get absolutely nothing in returns owns so much

Quasar

I am amused to see Gordon rebuffed.

But really I'm certainly more on team CBS. More local media concentration is not what I want. I'm also against the long rumoured Nine/Fairfax merger for similar reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom